Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Fidelitious posted:

WHAT GAME ARE THESE PEOPLE PLAYING?

This is more dreams.txt than your average 13-year-old posting on gamedev.net about their awesome ideas and all they need is a programmer and an artist and they'll even give you 5% of the profits for realizing their ideas.

I don't think these people are playing the game. They probably backed it years ago, spent few hours in-game over the years and only barely "followed the development" through the lens of marketing materials, dreams.txt of whales on forums and curated videos produced by shills.

Case in point, same person that wrote about SC's similarities with EVE:

taxxe:
https://i.imgur.com/usfv2y6.mp4

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Hey again...asking for a friend, would CIG be ok with entrepreneurs trapping and enslaving noob/ unsuspecting players, having them do hard labour and maybe sell them to other slavers?

Another citizen laments there's no real slavery in SC, but thankfully orgs might require new members to choose being a slave so that'll be ok!
(also willing slaves aren't fun it seems, does this sound rapey to anyone else?)

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 8, 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
There's a metaphor here somewhere

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RightWelldocumentedIrishwaterspaniel-mobile.mp4

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Space liens!

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Have some dreams.txt on land claims and base building.

These people have to be actual children.

What adult thinks like this?

I'm sad now.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ahem...well. lets see. i will totally overengineer my take here so...

the frisbee, its a kickstarter promise okay.
the dog is a gamecompany, lets say its cig.

right at that moment, when the game company jumps off the ground and really start working towards their kickstarter promise.
right at this moment, it is physically impossible for the dog (i mean game company) to catch that loving frisbee.

and thats what we call a dumpster fire.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Have some dreams.txt on land claims and base building.

This is absolutely hilarious. Backers already plotting how they can scam industry types, of course assuming any crafting system isn’t going to just print out identical copies like every other MMO ever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There are so many assumptions being made to even get to that point meanwhile CIG can't get the AI to stop t-posing.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

That dog fixates its sight on an impossible goal while it unknowingly fails miserably.

That dog is :crobear:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Ask them anything about the cargo refactor... no go on, I dare you...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/all-about-cargo-ama

Bugger.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hey again...asking for a friend, would CIG be ok with entrepreneurs trapping and enslaving noob/ unsuspecting players, having them do hard labour and maybe sell them to other slavers?

Another citizen laments there's no real slavery in SC, but thankfully orgs might require new members to choose being a slave so that'll be ok!
(also willing slaves aren't fun it seems, does this sound rapey to anyone else?)

Space slave, I choose you! :devil:

I also want to support making sure new players to the game can be immediately dominated by their better players who spent more money.

Those wage scrubs should go back to space school to get a better space job to afford better space ships.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also all these boys and girls should remember that goon initiative where they wanted to make the game more like Eve and Chris Roberts himself denounced it and sent them all packing like the immature children they are.

In fact, it's a very well know incident by large a huge win over goons. Here is a link to where it happened so you don't make the same mistake those filthy goons did:

You must be Platinum member to view this link!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Ask them anything about the cargo refactor... no go on, I dare you...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/all-about-cargo-ama

Bugger.

Check out the fidelity:

quote:

Gozer-CIG@Gozer-CIG
Today at 16:08

Well, so we hinted about this in the ISC and it wasn't very clear. With 3.18 we are introducing the concept of Soft Death. There is a 70% chance a vehicle will die with its interior and cargo intact from combat deaths. Explosive deaths or deaths by game rules ( near a barrier or touching water, for example ) won't trigger a soft death.

What this means, 70% of the time you and your crew are still alive, and the cargo is still attached to the ship when a combat death occurs (ship reaches 0 health in combat). The 30 % of the time that this doesn't happen your ship explodes and cargo is pushed out and then 0-90 % of that cargo remains, with the average of that being 45 % of cargo surviving.

Fidelitous ship destroyed with deep physics damage model: roll a d100. 1-70 = ship disabled, 71-100 = boom. If boom, more fidelitous d100 physics to decide how much cargo is left over.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Imagine if you combine slavery with base building.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

Imagine if you combine slavery with base building.

In the real world, it took 15-30 years to build one of the great pyramids of Egypt.

But in Star Citizen, once the development pipelines really open up, it'll only take 100-300 years! Early days!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Trilobite posted:

In the real world, it took 15-30 years to build one of the great pyramids of Egypt.

But in Star Citizen, once the development pipelines really open up, it'll only take 100-300 years! Early days!

"A bunch of wooden planks? Absolutely not: that's a tier 0 pyramid!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Star Citizen looks pretty boring now that Elon Musk bought Twitter. Croberts is gonna have to step up his game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

FishMcCool posted:

Check out the fidelity:

Fidelitous ship destroyed with deep physics damage model: roll a d100. 1-70 = ship disabled, 71-100 = boom. If boom, more fidelitous d100 physics to decide how much cargo is left over.

*Clutches pearls

I’m shocked!

I thought every box of cargo would be fully physicalized and they would be destroyed or saved based on a complex physics simulation that tracked each box through the destruction of your ship?!

It’s fun to see them finally trying to confront the reality of the entire games worth of content they’ve promised for each ship, all supposedly within an unprecedentedly deep physics simulation which itself part of a huge MMO experience with thousands of players interacting at once. We’re seeing more and more that they’re just going to take the shortcuts like this and slap basic RNG mechanics on everything and call it day.

Of course if you ask a Citizen, this is all “tier 0” and someday they’ll put in completely different high fidelity mechanics, and it won’t be a waste of time at all for them to scrap the work they have because you don’t understand game development.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dwesa posted:

That dog fixates its sight on an impossible goal while it unknowingly fails miserably.

That dog is :crobear:

I see it as the trainer is crobbler the dog the citizenry and the frisbee Star Citizer or patch x.xx

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Let's celebrate once more the only thing CIG does right.

In the comment section: CIG isn't selling anything, it's just pledges with a sales tax :lmao:

CoD bad, CIG is "inventing the wheel".

Literally "inventing the tech", wow!

People are still dreaming about VR, wait for it before "investing" into the game!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
On the scales of things that are never going to happen perhaps the neverest is star citizen VR.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Sardonik posted:

On the scales of things that are never going to happen perhaps the neverest is star citizen VR.

Alongside:
Star Citizen private servers

Star Citizen official modding toolkit

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Let's celebrate once more the only thing CIG does right.

Well deserved, just look at this great FPS gameplay, unlike that buggy new CoD game

https://v.redd.it/x2b20rs6isy91/DASH_480.mp4

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Dwesa posted:

Well deserved, just look at this great FPS gameplay, unlike that buggy new CoD game

Well, as promised this is clearly deadlier than CoD!

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Where does "deadlier than cod" come from?

Edit: it is really a stupid sentence btw, it is like saying faster than gran turismo or stealthier than mgs

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It just means the TTK is faster with the implication that you have to be a super skilled tier 0 operator to survive

It’s not that dumb, really, but still lol

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And I think it comes from the Crobbler himself or one of many episodes of their show. 10 to the Chairman possibly?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Where does "deadlier than cod" come from?

Kikas posted:

And I think it comes from the Crobbler himself

Who else could it be?

""We are trying to make the FPS gameplay itself be more tactical, less just 'run and gun.' Especially since it is more lethal than you would normally expect with a Call of Duty or something."

:crobear: - 2016

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizens-fps-gameplay-will-be-more-lethal-tha/1100-6433524/

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 9, 2022

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
I wonder if this is still how the ship pipeline works...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Who else could it be?

""We are trying to make the FPS gameplay itself be more tactical, less just 'run and gun.' Especially since it is more lethal than you would normally expect with a Call of Duty or something."

:crobear: - 2016

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizens-fps-gameplay-will-be-more-lethal-tha/1100-6433524/

Remember when Something Jones used to write out all of Chris's 10 for the Chairman and capture them perfectly with the um's and argh's that Chris would say .... Another great poster lost to the infinite time that Star Citizen is taking.

Stay frosty our VIP posters of the past.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's pretty funny that CR thinks his gunplay is going to be more "lethal" than COD when time to kill in those games is like 2 bullets. Pretty clear he hasn't played one in years.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's pretty funny that CR thinks his gunplay is going to be more "lethal" than COD when time to kill in those games is like 2 bullets. Pretty clear he hasn't played one in years.

SMH at this FUD

in Star Citizen the TTK is 0 bullets since you got killed by physics when going down a ramp

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

In Star Citizen TTK stands for Tickle Time Kiddo.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Kosumo posted:

In Star Citizen TTK stands for Tickle Time Kiddo.

About time.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Remember when Something Jones used to write out all of Chris's 10 for the Chairman and capture them perfectly with the um's and argh's that Chris would say .... Another great poster lost to the infinite time that Star Citizen is taking.

Stay frosty our VIP posters of the past.

Yus.

I loved him dearly for that since I could feel more involved with all the silly talking stuff. Now I just have to settle for google translate on videos I may try to skim through but it's not as good or quick of an experience.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If I recall, around this time was when he called out the two games he knew about, one being CoD and the other being Dark Souls.

It was only natural for him to say his game would be better than both combined.

Also around this time he indicated that the only studio with capabilities that might come close to his own was Rockstar.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

akkristor posted:

Alongside:
Star Citizen private servers

Star Citizen official modding toolkit

I mean, you can just link to the stretch goals page.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Back in the day WWII online used to talk about all their fidelitious projectile physics. People would get very excited to know that before their screen suddenly cut to black, the projectile that killed them bounced around inside the tank in exactly such a way that it happened to go through their head. Very exciting to know that, even though it's all 100% invisible to the player and a sudden unavoidable instant death is the actual gameplay result regardless.

A practical person might wonder, if the end result of physics calculations is literally completely invisible and indistinguishable from a die roll, why calculate the physics at all and waste all those cycles?

A thoughtful person might think that, in the end, one of the horrors of war is that a person's life or death is frequently decided quickly and unfairly by an unlucky set of events that, in the end, might as well have been a roll of the dice.

A citizen thinks, no shortcuts, I can imagine literally anything is happening to make this incredibly poo poo game actually amazing.

I'm not sure what point I'm making here, but I feel there's something to this mentality. Almost a cognitive misfire.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
To me, it shows that CR is gradually distancing himself from the project, or just plain uninterested.

Devs are finally able to make these compromises that may (eventually, in 30 years) result in a real game, without his stupid "vision" getting in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Scruffpuff posted:

Back in the day WWII online used to talk about all their fidelitious projectile physics. People would get very excited to know that before their screen suddenly cut to black, the projectile that killed them bounced around inside the tank in exactly such a way that it happened to go through their head. Very exciting to know that, even though it's all 100% invisible to the player and a sudden unavoidable instant death is the actual gameplay result regardless.

A practical person might wonder, if the end result of physics calculations is literally completely invisible and indistinguishable from a die roll, why calculate the physics at all and waste all those cycles?

A thoughtful person might think that, in the end, one of the horrors of war is that a person's life or death is frequently decided quickly and unfairly by an unlucky set of events that, in the end, might as well have been a roll of the dice.

A citizen thinks, no shortcuts, I can imagine literally anything is happening to make this incredibly poo poo game actually amazing.

I'm not sure what point I'm making here, but I feel there's something to this mentality. Almost a cognitive misfire.

Imagine I'm posting the sniper game video where you follow the bullet through the target's body and end up in the balls. That's what simulating the bullet gets you. But only if you add the gratuitous kill cam.