Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Got the survivor achievement in Cultic and with it a perfect game :cool:

Think I about earned myself a little break. In any case, I definitely got my moneys worth if just hunting for achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/ZoidCTF/status/1590012338421518337
https://twitter.com/ZoidCTF/status/1590012343286894592

are we counting Metroid Prime yet? I'm posting it either way because this is loving cool

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to replay Prime but I just know Nintendo will finally release Prime HD the second I complete it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you should always emulate older nintendo games anyways. there's even a hack that lets you play the metroid prime trilogy with mouse controls.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
24mb of ram?! Holy poo poo that seems low

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Consoles were wimpy back then and GC especially so. PS2 had 32 and huge rear end original Xbox was a whooping 64 MB

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Consoles only had to worry about loading the game itself as opposed to a home computer, running an operating system and a bunch of background programs.

I remember the discourse around the Xbox around launch being that they overloaded it with hardware it didn't really need and would rarely even use, I guess since a lot of the people working on it were from the PC world where the idea is you build a machine that can handle stuff with a large range of requirements. With a console you can just say "here's what it has, make it works" since stuff is being developed specifically for that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

skasion posted:

Consoles were wimpy back then and GC especially so. PS2 had 32 and huge rear end original Xbox was a whooping 64 MB

I didn't know that about PS2. GameCube games tended to look better to me usually.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yo is this release date real? :stare:

E: holy poo poo I think it might be

Mordja fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 9, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Yo is this release date real? :stare:

E: holy poo poo I think it might be

Wow there's a ton of Gunman Chronicles resources in this. An unexpected blast from the past.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I should dig out my Wii and play Metroid Prime again.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn't know that about PS2. GameCube games tended to look better to me usually.

Yeah, GC and Xbox were jostling for visual quality, PS2's primary strength was the huge library of games.

For games that came out on all three platforms – like Soul Calibur 2 – the difference was noticable. Of course the Xbox could do 720p on a lot of games, so it was probably ahead on raw power, but developers pulled some real magic on the GC. RE4 is another great example, it had to be reduced graphically to run well on the PS2.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I enjoyed all three systems :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GC and Xbox had many more games that could run in progressive scan over PS2 too I believe.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I enjoyed all three systems :)

Don’t forget the amazing Dreamcast which I played a lot of Quake 3 on. Which is still possible to do btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQFrIhwT4Cg

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Between my sister and I, we have GC, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, PS4, plus a few generations of GBA, 3DS and even a PSP.

My GC is an early enough model that it has the digital AV port for the silly expensive component cable, which I've never tried hunting down, because gently caress that.

Sticking with just one system seems silly, unless of course it's the mighty PC, choice of kings.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I used to buy all the consoles but these days I just stick with Nintendo since they have most of the games I like, my friend group is mostly on there and I already have well enough to play.

I completed all the Dooms, Duke 3D, Turok 1/2, Strife, Quake expansions, Serious Sam and Dusk for the first time all on Switch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zelda and Mario are still extremely good choices, Metroid too now that they've sort of started thinking about that franchise again.

I don't think there are many games I've enjoyed quite as much as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. WW is very high on the list for my favorite game ever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KozmoNaut posted:

Zelda and Mario are still extremely good choices, Metroid too now that they've sort of started thinking about that franchise again.

I don't think there are many games I've enjoyed quite as much as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. WW is very high on the list for my favorite game ever.

Splatoon is a great one too. It’s not an fps but a lot of the action, movement-wise, reminds me of classic arena shooters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want to replay Prime but I just know Nintendo will finally release Prime HD

They won't, don't worry.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want to replay Prime but I just know Nintendo will finally release Prime HD the second I complete it.
It's you! You're the one holding it up! Only you can make them release it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I started playing Quake 4 on Steam Deck using these settings https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tu5k4c/took_some_config_file_tinkering_to_get_it_perfect/i33pr6m/ and the way it controls feels incredible, like a bespoke handheld port almost. It's a shame it doesn't have rumble but other than that, it looks and feels great.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

You should anyways because:

1. There's gently caress-all chance that a Prime remaster is going to be better than the original running under PrimeHack. There's a high bar to clear there.

2. You can go on to play Prime 2 and 3, which aren't even rumored to be remastered.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

1. There's gently caress-all chance that a Prime remaster is going to be better than the original running under PrimeHack. There's a high bar to clear there.

Yeah there's no way. Nintendo does not normally put a lot of effort into their remasters/re-releases and PrimeHack is far better than anything I'd expect out of them.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Prime 2 is real bad also. It took me about a year to play most of it and then that alien dude was all “go get 9 keys now also they are invisible” and I turned the game off and never continued it. I should try prime 3 at least.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Prime 2 is the worst Metroid Prime game, which means it's still on the short list for best games of all time, just lower than the others

Prime 3 made some purists real mad that it has a plot and NPCs you can talk to, but it's still good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My computer isn’t good enough to emulate dolphin that well so I’d probably just play the Wii versions.

I do think a remaster of at least the original will come eventually in the near future. Just makes sense to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Mick_Gordon/status/1590343092598878210?t=2Vzox4QMCx3i9JVVT_UV-A&s=19

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I liked Gordon's soundtrack, shame he won't work for ID again.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 9, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished the first three levels of Cultic, having a good time, althoughhhhhh the aesthetic is so brutal in its palette limitation (a good thing, mind you) that the general consistent theming could start to grow some visual fatigue... it's been a lot of open area, caves, mines, open area, mines, mining town, mines. and that's fine, the level design has been good so far for the most part, but the game could dip into some surreality I think, like Dusk did.

it's not like I'm expecting there to suddenly be an ice level and a lava level and a green hill zone, obviously the setting of the levels makes sense for the journey, but still, I'm hoping that the later levels throw a couple of visual curveballs

best pistol since Alpha Protocol??

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

Well he's making the right move by telling them to gently caress off for all this bullshit.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The 7th Guest posted:

Finished the first three levels of Cultic, having a good time, althoughhhhhh the aesthetic is so brutal in its palette limitation (a good thing, mind you) that the general consistent theming could start to grow some visual fatigue... it's been a lot of open area, caves, mines, open area, mines, mining town, mines. and that's fine, the level design has been good so far for the most part, but the game could dip into some surreality I think, like Dusk did.

it's not like I'm expecting there to suddenly be an ice level and a lava level and a green hill zone, obviously the setting of the levels makes sense for the journey, but still, I'm hoping that the later levels throw a couple of visual curveballs

best pistol since Alpha Protocol??

Design spoilers I guess?
The remaining levels mostly at least involve a little of those aesthetics. There's a crypts level that has some new stuff and is mostly tight encounters with one really crazy fight, there's a level inside a derelict asylum that is mostly a different theme than what you've seen so far but it's pretty normal for what you'd expect a derelict asylum to look like, and there's a level with some cool Quake-ish castle stuff going on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

I don't blame him!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

Design spoilers I guess?
The remaining levels mostly at least involve a little of those aesthetics. There's a crypts level that has some new stuff and is mostly tight encounters with one really crazy fight, there's a level inside a derelict asylum that is mostly a different theme than what you've seen so far but it's pretty normal for what you'd expect a derelict asylum to look like, and there's a level with some cool Quake-ish castle stuff going on.

Yeah the levels do kinda feel typical for what you'd expect but in their defense I think they layouts are solid

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I think the layouts are solid and play to a number of kinds of gameplay, some will lock you in to methodically picking off enemies one at a time, some will encourage you to hunker down and defend your position, some will need you to get in tight and take advantage of your mobility and the environment in a small space. There are also a lot of encounters where you can pick any of those three.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've been reading this, on and off, for almost an hour (kids), and :wtc:

You all really need to read Mick's letter. What went down, and I believe him, is absolute bullshit insanity.

Edit: Holy jeezly gently caress...

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 9, 2022

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What in the god drat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What in the god drat.

I just finished and I feel so much anger for Mick. This is all insane.

gently caress Marty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What in the god drat.

Gamers must be exterminated

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Angry_Ed posted:

Well he's making the right move by telling them to gently caress off for all this bullshit.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't blame him!

To be perfectly clear I'm 100% on Gordon's side on this one. Hopefully he lands on his feet and continues writing game music for people who aren't complete shitlords. Maybe DUSK 2 can have a Mick Gordon soundtrack, at least in my dreams.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You can disarm and collect the booby traps in cultic :aaaaa:

Anyway, are there any weapons parts in the chapel level in story? I'd hate to have missed some. It's just a standard playthrough so not remotely taxing but it's a principal damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've been reading this, on and off, for almost an hour (kids), and :wtc:

You all really need to read Mick's letter. What went down, and I believe him, is absolute bullshit insanity.

Edit: Holy jeezly gently caress...

Awful.

Who sent him that abuse? People from id? Random gamers?