Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Ah, but weapon durability… is it good or bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

Botw was pretty mid. The dungeons were awful, the shrines tedious with overly reused ideas, and the korok seeds are stunningly bad as an idea. That said I'd rather people call to Botw as the false origin of modern open world then a game that's actively bad like Horizon Zero Dawn

Yes, except Horizon was actually good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

I’m at a crossroads…
Do I help the charming, genuinely warm, definitely evil witch?
Or do I help the gruff, boring, inarguably correct knight?

In Dark Souls the knight and the witch end up banging, so neither

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, except Horizon was actually good

I should make a reply to this post. I can make a reply to this post by clicking the "quote" icon underneath the post. Then, all I have to do is type out my reply and hit "submit," or "preview" if I want to see it first. The wonders of technology, right?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

There's an orange cat in my apartment complex everyone loves. He walks people to their doors. His owners moving soon and I'm kinda bummed about it. Orange cats are sweet as hell, that one really likes you!

Yeah. Or he knows we put out dry food for the outdoor cats :v: His tail does do the vibrating straight in the air thing when he sees us though which iirc is a sign that a cat is at least feeling some kind of positive feeling about someone.

Gaius Marius posted:

No such thing as an evil witch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TheWorldsaStage posted:

There's an orange cat in my apartment complex everyone loves. He walks people to their doors. His owners moving soon and I'm kinda bummed about it. Orange cats are sweet as hell, that one really likes you!

https://twitter.com/GarfieldScreens/status/1561440517904367621

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Jay Rust posted:

I’m at a crossroads…
Do I help the charming, genuinely warm, definitely evil witch?
Or do I help the gruff, boring, inarguably correct knight?

What kind of evil are we talking here?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

But does Sonic Frontiers have weapon durability

Shadow the Hedgehog has weapon durability, easily makes it the best Sonic game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If you think about it, Final Fantasy 7 has Weapon durability too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in the period of persona 5 which happens every run where my main guys are Mara and Abbadon, aka "the disgusting phase"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

New World trip report: while the revamped starting zone quests (up to about level 25) are a vast improvement over the old style of quests they had at launch, that obviously means that all of the mid and higher level quests, that did not get revamped, are exactly the same and exactly as godawful as they were before. just truly atrocious quest flow with a ridiculous amount of backtracking. there is actually no way to do the quests in an efficient manner because of the nature of how each quest is unlocked.

like in Weaver's Fen, the level 30-35 zone in the middle of the map. when you get there you can see sidequests all over the entire zone, far spread out from the main town in the dead center. there are two other fast travel points, one in the north and one in the south. if you pick up all of the sidequests at once, you have to run to different landmarks in every corner of the zone to get them all done. then each one has multiple follow ups, to a different mixture of mostly the same landmarks. i'm pretty sure even WITH a walkthrough, you cannot do them in an order where you only have to visit each landmark once. it is absolutely mind boggling how much time is wasted running across the zone.

luckily i'm almost level 60 and vastly overleveled so killing mobs is not a hassle, which was made me quit the first time. so we'll see how we do i guess.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic frontiers kicks rear end

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

I thought it didn't have a chao garden

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

haveblue posted:

BOTW is the only game that has ever successfully convinced me I was making real discoveries of long-forgotten things and to forget that everything I was discovering had been hand-placed by some guy at the studio

This sorta fell apart for me when there's an entrance to a super secret underground puzzle dungeon every few hundred feet or so.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looper posted:

Does it have Sonic's best friend, my OC?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Looper posted:

The cringe meta joke era is over, never thought I'd see the day where I care about the cutscenes in a Sonic game again

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

The cringe meta joke era is over, never thought I'd see the day where I care about the cutscenes in a Sonic game again

utterly gobsmacked by a tikal namedrop

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/DistantValhalla/status/1590307340204802050?t=vq4vNynBahDvkEAJ-OUCTQ&s=19

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I finished playing The Entropy Centre yesterday. Overall I think it was a pretty good game - kind of a mix of Portal and the Talos Principle.

The ending feels kind of weird, though. (Full game spoilers - Be warned) The ending involves the main character and her entropy gun, Astra, going into a time loop and doing the whole thing again. The only character who isn't being reset through the whole process is a robot named 'E' who isn't in the entropy device when it gets repaired.

There's a lot about the game that feels like it's a giant sisyphus analogy because as you progress through the game you see shadows of your past self directing you and writing on the walls that you've done this all before, and that it always ends the same way. So during the ending sequence I was looking out for alternative paths because surely, there's something you as a player can do to reverse the whole thing. No dice. Then I noticed that our game could be continued so I thought it might be doing a thing where when you continue the game the real ending starts - but that just starts a new game with all of your data entries.

I guess I was hoping for something a lot more conclusive. It feels like the 'bad end' you get your first time through a game and that there should be more for us to do, but by all appearances there doesn't appear to be any other endings for the game. Maybe something will happen if I collect all the journal entries, so I'll try that out.

All that said, a very good game and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good puzzle platformer.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

iirc the game's director said he had a personal hand in localizing the dialogue to Japanese as part of an overall harder push in japan than usual, so uhhh

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

that's weird I would've thought they do the Japanese first then translate it into other languages

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Frontiers is written by Ian Flynn, so seems like it was EN first.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Very far beyond chill Tails-kun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Frontiers is written by Ian Flynn, so seems like it was EN first.

Almost every Sonic game from at least Colors onward was written in English first (maybe even earlier than that, I’m not sure)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 9, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

BTW, Dark Souls Remastered online servers are back online. I'm tempted to finally try and finish the game now.

EDIT: Well, poo poo, now I realized I have the PtDE, RIP me until a sale I guess

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 9, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah isn't it like that Sonic is exponentially more popular outside of Japan and he's less popular inside Japan?

I thought that's why it's a big deal Korone is such a stan

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The Mega Drive sold poorly in the Japanese market, selling about half of what the PC Engine did. Might have something to do with the popularity of Sonic there.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
I've reached the third protagonist in Yakuza 5 and the concept of a character built entirely around minigames has me ecstatic. I could see this being the highlight of the entire franchise for me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sonic is and always has been too Edgy and In-Your-Face for Japan. He's a hedgehog who gets "biz-zay", consistently and thoroughly

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Japanese culture is much too reserved for a hedgehog with the attitude of Bill Clinton.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It was a BIG mistake to make the chili dog Sonic's go-to greasy dish of choice. The average Japanese gamer has not seen let alone eaten a chili dog, and likely wouldn't be able to identify with Sonic's outrageous tastes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The humble Mario and his spaghetti ring more true to the spirit of the rising sun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

It was a BIG mistake to make the chili dog Sonic's go-to greasy dish of choice. The average Japanese gamer has not seen let alone eaten a chili dog, and likely wouldn't be able to identify with Sonic's outrageous tastes

Didn’t the American cartoons invent that first and it was later co-opted into the games or has it always been part of Sonic’s character from the start?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 9, 2022

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Larryb posted:

Didn’t the American cartoons invent that first and it was later co-opted into the games or has it always been part of the series bible from the start?

it's in the bible bible

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Mick Gordon is calling Bethesda liars. Previously they made it sound like he was an uncooperative rear end in a top hat that couldn’t deliver on agreed upon deadlines. So he’s responding (months later, but this must’ve taken a while to put together and he had to deal with lawyers) with a massive document detailing what he claims actually happened.

I’m not gonna read the whole thing, but it seems things were messy on Bethesda’s side, and Gordon wasn’t paid for all his work.

https://twitter.com/mick_gordon/status/1590343092598878210

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Years later. The post to which this is a response was made in early 2020

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the Pokemon Unite devs are working on a monster hunter mobile game

https://twitter.com/timistudios/status/1589990605933146113?s=20&t=SzEqn72iEQCoH9HvlkwsCg

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Where is monster hunter world 2?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

Years later. The post to which this is a response was made in early 2020

Yeah I mean it sounds like he probably would have just let things lie but the Reddit post has both damaged his professional reputation long-term and has also encouraged fanboys to harass and threaten him? gamers fuckin suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Where is monster hunter world 2?

Monster Hunter Rise. Monster Hunter World was Monstee Hunter 5 and we have MH6.