Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

actionjackson posted:

is the base required for vertical orientation? keeping it on limits some of my storage options. it's not going to be in an area where it can get knocked over or anything, just want to make sure it doesn't affect airflow

Well the base screws into the Ps5 when you set it up vertically, it’s pretty necessary if you’re going to use a cable to charge your controller from the ps5 at least. Or at least I’ve had moments plugging in somewhat long usb cables into the front and feeling like I had to steady the ps5 because the weight of the cable felt like it was going to knock it over once I let go of the other end of the usb cable, and that was with the base on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Morpheus posted:

Agreed. There's just something incredible about the Demon's Souls world that the others don't really match. Like, they're all interesting, but mostly feel like extensions of the first and second world of DeS. But stepping out on the towers of Latria and seeing the darkness swirling around while gargoyles swoop in the distance, or fighting an enormous flying manta ray but shooting shockwaves from a blade, taking on an enormous punching dragon god (which mechanically isn't terribly involved but having this boss be more of a enormous setpiece puzzle instead of a simple fight was really cool), there was just something about each world that the lack of interconnectivity allowed for that the other games don't.

Being the first in the series also meant they could get weird with stuff before the 'tropes' of the series were codified.

I haven't played any FromSoft games besides Elden Ring and Demon's Souls, but it was startling jumping from one to the other -- Elden Ring is the most open-ended, free-form version of the combat system, but Demon's Souls was immediately recognizable as the same combat system, except distilled down to the bare bones, with none of the flourishes and flexibility that they added with each iteration. Elden Ring has one of the biggest, most content-packed open worlds I've ever seen, and Demon's Souls has very rigid, disconnected zones that you can't travel between without using a teleporter.

Except that even if it wasn't as "actiony" as Elden Ring, their very first take at the Souls combat system was amazingly well-done and complex, and FromSoft was fantastic at this type of level design even back then, so rather than exploring a world with a large amount of open space, you're ALWAYS mapping out these tight, well-polished FromSoft levels with all their secrets and shortcuts. They got SO MUCH right that the game still holds up 12 years later, and it's got a certain old-school charm and experimentation that you just won't get from Game #X in a series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kazzah posted:

Horizon 1 sold, like, as many copies as every pre-ER From game combined

Yeah but ER sold as many copies as Horizon 1&2 combined lol

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

sounds like you're saying we should get an elden ring tv show too then yea?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I mean. yeah that would be cool as poo poo

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
*Malenia walks on set*
*audience hoots and hollers for three minutes*
Malenia: I tell you, that guy really needs to stop and smell the roses!
*audience hoots and hollers another three minutes*

*doorbell rings, dungeater stocks his head inside*

Dungeater: Hey neighbor-eeno!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The hijinks when Radagon and Marika both have dates on the same night.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Elden Ring can be as tough or tougher than other Fromsoft games but there aren't too many really hard checkpoints, you can always do those mini dungeons/caves or find a new weapon to help you overcome.

Beating Malenia on my own was probably the most satisfying boss to beat out of all the games.

Sekiro just owned because it was clearly a From game but also played completely different from Souls games, once you have the enemies/boss timings down you pretty much own them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Phenotype posted:

sounds like you're saying we should get an elden ring tv show too then yea?

We actually might. Bandai Namco said they intend to extend the ER IP to other media beyond games. It would probably be animated rather than live-action. Or maybe they just meant that goofy comic book.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
“Patches, what’s goin on in there?”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

actionjackson posted:

is the base required for vertical orientation? keeping it on limits some of my storage options. it's not going to be in an area where it can get knocked over or anything, just want to make sure it doesn't affect airflow

The base is actually required for both orientations. If the place is so tight it's only fits without the base, you should find another spot with better airflow

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Pulcinella posted:

Also, IMO, the best AC games 4 and 4A (the Miyazaki ones) are not available digitally on PS3, only Verdict Day is. Though you can pickup disc copies for cheap and I imagine even PS3 emulation is pretty solid by this point.

Lol guess again. Ps3 emulation is still hard af.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Something about needing AVX-512 support, apparently AMD has made a pretty big deal about their Zen4 being able to handle the instructions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who knew that a cpu consisting of one computer with seven smaller computers on a tiny LAN inside it would be insanely complicated to duplicate on a normal architecture

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sony took my $76.20 but they'll never have my respect

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tried Returnal for a bit, seems fun but I'm never going to get anywhere in a game that takes all my stuff and makes me start again when I die.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Tried Returnal for a bit, seems fun but I'm never going to get anywhere in a game that takes all my stuff and makes me start again when I die.

I beat it but it gave me a gun too good to ever die on my second or third day playing and i instantly won the game on that life and am disgusted by its charity

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After about 30 mins with the 40fps mode on Ragnarok I switched to unlocked performance mode + VRR and it looks incredibly fluid and I personally cannot detect any hit in detail or visual quality, so I personally would recommend it for newer TV users, I don’t detect any stutter at all, VRR kicks rear end

Game’s real good obv, if you liked the first one etc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

After about 30 mins with the 40fps mode on Ragnarok I switched to unlocked performance mode + VRR and it looks incredibly fluid and I personally cannot detect any hit in detail or visual quality, so I personally would recommend it for newer TV users, I don’t detect any stutter at all, VRR kicks rear end

Game’s real good obv, if you liked the first one etc
Nice, I'll be playing in performance mode. It unlocks in just under 3 hours here :f5:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Just under 3 more hours to bash some Norse gods that don't want to mind their own business.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

haveblue posted:

The base is actually required for both orientations. If the place is so tight it's only fits without the base, you should find another spot with better airflow

Oh I meant just for when I store it, I typically just play on weekends, and turn it off and store during the week.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
ugh just release already GoW, i want to brutally rip apart norse gods while bickering with my teenage son

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

actionjackson posted:

No, it's not required and functions fine without it, but you do run the risk of it easily sliding around. The PS4 in vertical position really craved the stand since the console's airflow was taken in equally from the sides and vertical without stand hampered that. PS5 draws from top front then exhausts at various points on the rear, there actually are small vents on the bottom but I don't think they are all that integral to the airflow solution. I'd still recommend using the stand but much more important with PS5 and Series X is to have a good amount of clearance on all sides and top, especially near air vents for ingress/egress.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only way Ragnarok has disappointed me so far is with the haptics which are very minimal. There isn’t even a haptic for recalling your axe!

In every other way it’s the first game but improved and refined. Including in the writing. I think people are gonna be very happy with it :) going to bed soon but I hope Americans enjoy!!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol haptics are a fad I guess. Which lasted longer, haptics or the head of lettuce.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Escobarbarian posted:

The only way Ragnarok has disappointed me so far is with the haptics which are very minimal. There isn’t even a haptic for recalling your axe!

drat that’s bushleague. If Demons Souls can do it so can you sorny!!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I didn’t notice any axe haptics early on, but after a couple hours they’re suddenly there, mostly in the left trigger

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Fenrir :smith:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kazzah posted:

Horizon 1 sold, like, as many copies as every pre-ER From game combined

Woah

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Did you read the codex entry

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
What a great opening, I know ray tracing is the thing these days but drat this game looks good without. I instinctively parried my first attack, felt great. Theres a bit of haptic feed back with the heavy attacks.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

FireWorksWell posted:

Did you read the codex entry

Yeah, but it didn’t really say anything that wasn’t already said in dialogue, did it? Or am I missing something? It’s cool that the codex is written from kratos’ perspective.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah I meant it was sweet to see Kratos' thoughts regarding that scene.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
There is definitely force feedback when recalling the axe, along with just about everything else. Enjoying it so far!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hearing haptics referred to as force feedback makes me super nostalgic. 90s flight sim joysticks were ahead of their time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hope you all enjoy God of War. I’ll get around to playing it but for me Sonic Frontiers takes priority

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GoW Ragnarok is loving unreal. The first hour of gameplay is beyond incredible and a significant step above anything Sony has ever made or any AAA game has delivered on in presentation.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I said come in! posted:

GoW Ragnarok is loving unreal. The first hour of gameplay is beyond incredible and a significant step above anything Sony has ever made or any AAA game has delivered on in presentation.

The first 27 minutes are cutscenes and then there’s some combat. With multiple shimmy thru small place animations and other 2013 bullshit.

Parrying feels good tho :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Played it about an hour and it’s really great so far.