Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Icefrog finally decided to make dota good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

We League now

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whos that

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Outworld Devourer

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I finally won my first dota game in 3 years!
Since coming back I've been on a horrendous losing streak, that finally ended with good ol Lina

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevin Bacon posted:

Icefrog finally decided to make dota good

only if it gets enough votes

This is also in there and feels even more league

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lot of Marci skin in the voting

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The dota community will explode when they add Ephey as an announcer or even better, a hero

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

man, diretide really rules for doing weekly quests and cavern crawl, huh? I knocked out like half of my support cavern this week after getting the free battlepass a couple weeks ago.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

they broke something and camps in diretide just stack on every spawn time regardless of if there's something/someone in there

e: grabbed a cap from my latest game

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I couldn't guess how many years it's been since I last played one of the holiday game modes 🙃

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

i like the holiday game modes for mindless constant fighting with short game times

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

IcePhoenix posted:

man, diretide really rules for doing weekly quests and cavern crawl, huh? I knocked out like half of my support cavern this week after getting the free battlepass a couple weeks ago.

Every time I do this I get yelled at by my team for picking bad heroes for the no-stakes holiday mode and one time a guy even stopped playing to just yell at me while sitting in spawn

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I love the people that get super angry about a perceived loss at 10 mins in and feel the need to punish strangers and guarantee they lose by angrily throwing the game.

And then we win regardless.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I love rotating on a SF mid and getting a kill on them to immediately buyback, and then do it again.

Nothing brings joy to my cold dead heart like tilting an SF player to oblivion.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Went 3-0 on Mars tonight, got a treasure for battle pass levels and got the Mars rare set from it.

Looks like we spamming mars for the time being

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Oodles posted:

I love rotating on a SF mid and getting a kill on them to immediately buyback, and then do it again.

Nothing brings joy to my cold dead heart like tilting an SF player to oblivion.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has noticed that this happens more often with SF players specifically

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Think I just hit my peak as a trash player

Had 1 branch left over from the laning stage, chasing down enemy carry, place branch into tree, blink Infront of carry, turn round and spear him into the tree I placed, god's rebuke to finish them off.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

CyberPingu posted:

Think I just hit my peak as a trash player

Had 1 branch left over from the laning stage, chasing down enemy carry, place branch into tree, blink Infront of carry, turn round and spear him into the tree I placed, god's rebuke to finish them off.

I feel like that's tip worthy. If that happened to me I wouldn't even be mad. Just impressed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Likewise. I am set in my ancient ways and never think to buy/use Branches in the first place :ohdear: as are most of the people I get paired up against in Archon

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Likewise. I am set in my ancient ways and never think to buy/use Branches in the first place :ohdear: as are most of the people I get paired up against in Archon

Every branch is 20 hp, 12 mana, 1 damage, 1 attack speed, and 1/6 armor. Those stats add up pretty fast. You should always be “6 slotted” even if they’re just branches. They sell for 50%, too! And you can plant/tango them for double duration!

Particularly, it’s better to go 1x tango 2x branch (190g) instead of 2x tango (180g) because you get 5/6th of the tango benefit for 1.06x the cost and get to enjoy 40hp, 2dmg, etc and maybe not even need to use the branches! Option-making.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

DNK posted:

Every branch is 20 hp, 12 mana, 1 damage, 1 attack speed, and 1/6 armor. Those stats add up pretty fast. You should always be “6 slotted” even if they’re just branches. They sell for 50%, too! And you can plant/tango them for double duration!

Particularly, it’s better to go 1x tango 2x branch (190g) instead of 2x tango (180g) because you get 5/6th of the tango benefit for 1.06x the cost and get to enjoy 40hp, 2dmg, etc and maybe not even need to use the branches! Option-making.

What about 2 tango 2 branch???

E: for those of us who don't know how to a avoid taking creep damage.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Don't forget they go into wand too, if you can hold onto em

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Speaking of wand, when shouldn't you buy it besides going mid and likely having a bottle.

It's such a good item, I play roles 3-5 and always have one. I don't ditch it until I'm basically 5 slotted and need the 5/6th slots for wards, smokes or dust.

I guess it depends on your lane match up and play style, and not needed if things are more passive.

How detrimental is having a wand to your item timings I guess is the question. Slowing a bf or Midas is not good I get, but is 2 minutes that awful in other cases?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Speaking of wand, when shouldn't you buy it besides going mid and likely having a bottle.

It's such a good item, I play roles 3-5 and always have one. I don't ditch it until I'm basically 5 slotted and need the 5/6th slots for wards, smokes or dust.

I guess it depends on your lane match up and play style, and not needed if things are more passive.

How detrimental is having a wand to your item timings I guess is the question. Slowing a bf or Midas is not good I get, but is 2 minutes that awful in other cases?

My take is that if you don't already know the answer, get the wand.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Wand is a great item BUT I feel like wand recipe is best saved for later on, like get boots first. Stick is great and 10 charges is usually all you need before like 10 min ever unless you're vs bristle and pa in lane and even then, the extra charges aren't THAT good

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Recipe also gives you another free branch if it helps. But yeah, the longer you hold out to upgrade, the less likely the extra charges turn a fight.

Also depends on how mana starved your hero is. Sometimes getting one extra stun out is all you need and 10 charges isn't always enough mana to get you there

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Don't forget they go into wand too, if you can hold onto em

Yea that's the only time I buy branches.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Also if you play Hoodwink you can use branches to set up bushwhack if you whiff on acorn shot

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Early game in lane, your opponents very likely don't have the mana pools to fill your full wand charges. Even if you're against spell spammers, you can just keep using stick every 13 seconds when it maxes out on 10 charges instead of spending 150 for an extra 10 charges and +1 stats. I primarily play support though so that 150 gold is a lot more valuable, it delays boots by a good while to upgrade stick and ideally I'm constantly using wand charges to replenish mana for my own spells

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

play Hoodwink

You can't make me :colbert:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I love hoodwink's mechanics but I can't play the hero because the voice actor's accent makes me swoon when I should be concentrating on my dota fundamentals.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sab669 posted:

You can't make me :colbert:

Hoodwink is fun af. And manages to piss off people because of the evasion near trees gimmick.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

nice title op.

penopt SF

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

Copper For Lyfe posted:

The way I do it is I'll always buy wand every game at some point. I'll buy an early wand if me using spells leads to kills. At a high level if you have a wand in Lane, the enemy will also buy a wand because you will have more mana for spells, therefore you're casting more spells so they should buy a wand.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Whether/when to buy stick is all about the lane matchup of course

If you are safelane and the offlane is e.g. clockwerk + NP, their level 1 CDs are minimum 24 seconds, stick first would be a handicap

If you are offlane and the safelane is bristle lich, you better have stick first or you're leaving a ton of free mana and hp on the table

It gets more wrinkly with stuff like a bh leshrac offlane, they only have one stick-triggering cooldown level 1 but by level 3 they may be casting a spell every 5 seconds, so you should start without stick but fly it out on your first courier (and make sure bh doesn't snipe it)

All these are just examples of course, the unfortunate truth of getting better at dota is that you have to be able to accurately forecast what the lane will be like and exploit tiny advantages

emdash fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 17, 2022

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I buy stick on Mars almost every game because hes mana starved and Heralds love to spam their spells off cd

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

tundra was buying wand and three branches in both side lanes every game because it’s just that good and you can just send out regen with bounty rune and first few cs cash anyways

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah that's great when you can rely on your supp to pass you tangos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

emdash posted:

yeah that's great when you can rely on your supp to pass you tangos

Just get good and wait for that bounty salve or your early cs and buy regen immediately like sfz said.

Rune fights are usually good for a handful of charges too

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 17, 2022