Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
gon more like gone from the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

Nanika isn't a very good healer if she couldn't remove the entirety of the curse. So I refuse to believe he's still afflicted by anything and can simply learn nen the normal way. If anything it'd be some sort of a mental block preventing him from using nen.

She healed his horrible injuries that would have killed him for sure, and no one else could do that. She fixed him, but his Nen is still gone.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

She healed his horrible injuries that would have killed him for sure, and no one else could do that. She fixed him, but his Nen is still gone.

Based on Ging's diagnosis, Gon's Nen is not gone. He lost the ability to interact with it along with being able to see Nen. Nonetheless, given that he still has Nen, he could probably retrain, but the burden still exists.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

there’s no restriction and gon is coming back for gyro if we ever get off the dark continent

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Given we still could need 4 more years to end the current Arc, and the DC arc could be 8 years... [and that's hoping for not having another super long hiatus in the future] it occurs to me that HxH could end without ever returning to Gon.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Flair posted:

Based on Ging's diagnosis, Gon's Nen is not gone. He lost the ability to interact with it along with being able to see Nen. Nonetheless, given that he still has Nen, he could probably retrain, but the burden still exists.
His aura isn't gone because he's alive and all living things have aura. His ability to use nen is gone (so is Kite's going by the recent exhibit) but whether or not he can relearn nen depends on how Togashi wants to proceed down the line. It could just be that Gon gets his own aura parasite down the line for the Gyro Arc but since it's not a kakin one it could be more directly helpful to him. He might not use nen at all and Killua has to show back up to help him out. Or he could get some really good counseling and help get his self imposed restrictions removed through the power of good mental health.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder why they can't fly a plane to the DC or take pictures from space. Have they developed space travel in this universe?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder why they can't fly a plane to the DC or take pictures from space. Have they developed space travel in this universe?

Is hxhworld even a sphere?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Fun theory: It's this:

https://imgur.com/P2Dcfe0

Replace the ice with billions of square miles of Dark Continent, with other human-habitable 'worlds' also in their little isolated lakes safe from the real world.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 8, 2022

Lpzie 2
Nov 1, 2022

When you elect nuts, you get squirrels!

Onehandclapping posted:

gon more like gone from the story

Now we follow Gon 2

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hisoka passes on killing a Judgement Chain'd Chrollo. He's not going to kill a nenless Gon.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

edit: weird double post

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/tvtuners/status/1590186935607181313?s=20&t=uLgOMzjoBJKfgd0-zbDwtQ

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wrt Gon’s nen, it’s mentioned earlier way back when Kurapika’s training that if you break a restriction put on yourself you can end up just unable to use nen in the worst case scenario, so it doesn’t seem like something he can just train to get back without serious consequences, at least to me.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I figured that went out the window with the rest of his injuries since Annika’s got weird dark continent magic.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
They can’t just fly to the dark continent because there’s some kind of gatekeeper situation. Like, there may be an actual metaphysical reason you can’t just go there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And ad for the new volume
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvh0-lpa6GE

BTW, as per raws, there are new characters in the new chapter :P

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Take Rihan from the current arc for example. He loses access to nen for 48 hours when Predator is deployed and that's a hard rule to his power. Similarly Gon is still under the effects of his own vow to "sacrifice everything" so even though his body is healed, mentally and possibly universally he's not able to use nen. It's possible that this could be reversed but the exorcist that was sent to help him shuddered at the burden he'd placed on him and I expect that hasn't really lighted up just because Nanika got involved.

Rihan ability is btw, fairly mediocre, or at least very niche:

-it only works against abilities that are fairly complex, if the enemy is a simple enhancement or emission user and there is nothing to guess, his ability won't help
-In the cases it can work, he needs several hours to days to learn everything. In some cases this won't be possible at all, of course
-we can imagine if he guesses wrongly, bad things will happen?
-and If he succeeds, he loses nen access for two days!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 9, 2022

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Rihan’s power is pretty good for the kind of equilibrium situation he’s currently involved in. But yes, it’s not great for open, short-term conflict.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

the dark continent is an elaborate nen trap

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

They can’t just fly to the dark continent because there’s some kind of gatekeeper situation. Like, there may be an actual metaphysical reason you can’t just go there.

Theres ten really jacked dudes who live in the clouds that will choke you out

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

-it only works against abilities that are fairly complex, if the enemy is a simple enhancement or emission user and there is nothing to guess, his ability won't help
-In the cases it can work, he needs several hours to days to learn everything. In some cases this won't be possible at all, of course

Rihan (predator), Yushiho (How to get away with murder), and Musse (Secret Window) are all abilities that work best in situations where the user has time to assess the situation and maintain proximity to their target. Along with Furykov's skill with identifying nen users by their eyes and even reading their aura it's clear that these guys aren't just used to skirmishes but logistical warfare. No doubt Benjamin has had his men assassinate targets in the past and I'm interested how often Rihan has had to deploy his ability because it really is a situational kind of power to have. Like countdown levels of "I need this one specific power for this one specific set of circumstances".

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

And ad for the new volume
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvh0-lpa6GE

BTW, as per raws, there are new characters in the new chapter :P
So many characters in that video and no Bill. :staredog:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Nah it's perfect for assassination, which is exactly what his role is. A complete hard counter to any Nen ability, even with the strict conditions he's put on making it work, is pretty rare and in this exact situation is almost necessary to handle the Nen Beasts who are going block any direct attack

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
ignore double post

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just knew that Tserriednich's beast was going to be the final shot.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Chimera Ant arc onward was supposed to have had some really sketchy, rough drafty panels in its original WSJ release that later were refined for the volume releases, right? I’m reading the volumes on the app and some of the more striking panels like the entire Gon/Pitou confrontation still have that quality to them, not in a bad way though, quite the opposite. Just curious.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yep: https://www.reddit.com/r/HunterXHunter/comments/85e9rm/so_the_art_in_the_volumes_are_redrawn/

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
But the turkey was always in high definition.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Last Celebration posted:

The Chimera Ant arc onward was supposed to have had some really sketchy, rough drafty panels in its original WSJ release that later were refined for the volume releases, right? I’m reading the volumes on the app and some of the more striking panels like the entire Gon/Pitou confrontation still have that quality to them, not in a bad way though, quite the opposite. Just curious.

The first time I saw Hunter x Hunter was in a pysical Jump issue I bought and it was so sketchy and unfinished and the King looked like Freiza I thought it was a wacky deconstruction parody of battle manga.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Last Celebration posted:

The first time I saw Hunter x Hunter was in a pysical Jump issue I bought and it was so sketchy and unfinished and the King looked like Freiza I thought it was a wacky deconstruction parody of battle manga.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

pnumoman posted:

But the turkey was always in high definition.

Man has priorities.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Predator seems like a good counter to Camila's ability, but it seems like it would be hard for Rihan to catch it in action enough times to gain a good understanding of how it works.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Unless Camilla actually has been hiding a additional clause to her ability this whole time

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

Predator seems like a good counter to Camila's ability, but it seems like it would be hard for Rihan to catch it in action enough times to gain a good understanding of how it works.

Honestly her power is countered by knowing what it is and some form of restraint at worst to make sure she doesn't force an issue where her death could be caused by another even by accident. If predator was designed to counter the cat itself I wonder if teleporting the murderer around would be sufficient. Just have the predator teleport away to a random place anytime the cat gets close. Or teleporting to a nen space so that the cat cannot kill their target due to insufficient access.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Brought To You By posted:

Honestly her power is countered by knowing what it is and some form of restraint at worst to make sure she doesn't force an issue where her death could be caused by another even by accident. If predator was designed to counter the cat itself I wonder if teleporting the murderer around would be sufficient. Just have the predator teleport away to a random place anytime the cat gets close. Or teleporting to a nen space so that the cat cannot kill their target due to insufficient access.

Just kill the person who killed her before the cat can.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GodFish posted:

Just kill the person who killed her before the cat can.

Pragmatically I would want to avoid burning another person for Cammy's ability since it will already take at least one more death for anyone to really understand what she's doing. But maybe Predator could just create a body and kill Cammy that immediately disappears once she's dead. I know Predator is supposed to be weak against directly fighting nen users if they are enhancers or emitters since they tend to be the source of their power, but Cammy really doesn't have much else going for her. I'd imagine predator killing her might circumvent the Cat's targeting ability and not send it to Rihan instead.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

As I feared, this chapter is need more time for a translation, given the amounts of text x text.

¿Cómo es vuestro español? Encontré unos scans en español, la traducción algo cutre pero bueno... (now in English)

The mafia checks the obvious, that entering in that room is a trap, and decides to let the Hei-ly extermination to the Troupe. The old man was a 'nen clone', btw, part of the trap.
Morena seems a gamer girl, with a gaming chair, lol. She wants to infect a Tse's soldier or guard as a way to have Tse monitored. It's implied her 'Infection' ability also gives her some power over the infected?
She has already a decent number of nen users, if they act in group they could be good against the other mafias, even if individually aren't very good.
The guy with the dog mask is an ehancement user, a pro wrestler, and it's the higher level of the group.
and... we have a new faction! Well, not new, just the military, but we are introduced to several new characters. First we have Shin, who has a big mouth that gets another solider called Volksen reassigned from Deck 1 to Deck 3, but he really did it to have Volksen nearby, he comments how her intelligence will be useful. They seem to be all aligned with Tse.
The subplot they explain is pretty complicated, if I understood it right (drat translation) they find a body from the mafia fight, and given the time of death is clear it's from before the first soldier inspection. The coroner will be in cahoots with the military/police and establish the date of death accordingly so there is no conflict, and make as if he died after the first inspection, but the hunter association could complicate things if they investigate too, as they would be more objective, instead of manipulating evidence.
the military branch is associated with the mafia, maybe?, and the justice branch is searching to be more independent and therefore would like to eliminate the mafia groups. All this is related to the delicate 'balance' that the mafia guys referred for some chapters, not only in between the mafia families, but also in between the royal family and the mafia, and the police and military.
All the new soldiers are old friends from Tse, and they seem ambivalent about if it's better to stay at distance from him, because they know of their true nature and are conflicted by it. They are also a odd bunch of lazy bastards who wants to avoid finding Morena, even if that's their official goal.
So finally, they are trying to make plans if the end up encountering Heily members, as they suspect Morena is a nen user, and just want to survive, while at the same time they don't really know what is nen and can only speculate. And we know Dogman has the mission to capture one of them, that's the conlict setup in this chapter.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 11, 2022

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
here's the chapter btw

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4729/hunter-x-hunter-chapter-394?2022-11-116557

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

hell yeah dogman