Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Clawtopsy posted:

Petra hates the Imperial old guard, but seems to like Edelgard and the new guard plenty fine? I really don’t think it’s as dire as all that.

As for “come back with your shield or on it”, I don’t recall her ordering anything like that or saying anything like that, either.

In fact, as I mentioned earlier it's the exact opposite. Petra has explicit permission to surrender and change sides to keep herself alive from Edelgard who values her friend's life and well being more than any political machinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Amppelix posted:

game's good, you should play it

unless you like absolutely cannot stand musous, i guess.

I get absolutely nothing but vague annoyance out of musou gameplay, I tried. But I love that Claude gets to be the gloriously underhanded schemer he was always meant to be in 3 Hopes, so hearing about it is great (and I'm glad its apparently very good!). I may have to find a good LP of it to watch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Petra is one of those characters who has a good reason to be there on any route, in both games.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So I've been really enjoying my Black Eagles play through, sided with edelgaard and got to the time skip and... I've seen folks say this route got the least amount of attention, but wow the production drop off is incredible.

First, when Rhea reveals she's a dragon in the holy tomb, the game just shows a static jpeg of the dragon and the characters yell "Ahhh, run away!" and that's the end of it. You just go to the next scene, I guess you all just ran off?

Then instead of a cinematic or anything at the end of the battle of Garreg Mach, they just show another jpeg of Rhea as a dragon, then Edelgarde and Hubert say "LOOK OUT, PROFESSOR!" and that's it. Smash cut to five years later. No cutscene, no real effort to portray what happened at all.

It's really disappointing. I get that this route suffered because they ran out of time, but I can't believe they didn't patch in at least something to better tell the story. I wouldn't expect a new fully animated cutscene but at least something, the cut corners are so jarring that it completely pulled me out of the experience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf theres some other stuff like that in the other routes. like claude saying 'btw dimitri died off screen' in golden deer with no fanfare and then hes just actually dead

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
static jpeg rhea is my favorite fire emblem villain

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah this is just kind of the three houses experience. very much a progressivelyworsedrawnhorse.jpg game. lots of promise early on that gets weighed down by the increasingly boring monastery loop/lack of production resources for certain routes/badly unbalanced writing (and then the deathblow, realizing you have to do white clouds four times if you want to see the rest), and a lot of it comes back to if you like the characters enough to balance that stuff out. That route absolutely gets the worst of it in many ways production-wise, though.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Static jpegs are the most dangerous form of dragon. that's why byleths final smash is a jpeg of sothis

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Endorph posted:

tbf theres some other stuff like that in the other routes. like claude saying 'btw dimitri died off screen' in golden deer with no fanfare and then hes just actually dead

Oh yea I hated that my first run, lol

Valentin posted:

yeah this is just kind of the three houses experience. very much a progressivelyworsedrawnhorse.jpg game. lots of promise early on that gets weighed down by the increasingly boring monastery loop/lack of production resources for certain routes/badly unbalanced writing (and then the deathblow, realizing you have to do white clouds four times if you want to see the rest), and a lot of it comes back to if you like the characters enough to balance that stuff out. That route absolutely gets the worst of it in many ways production-wise, though.

Yeah I think I'm going through the exact same arc I did my first playthrough three years ago, "This is great! I'm gonna play this forever!" > "This is starting to drag but things are coming to a head in White Clouds!" > "I can't believe this shipped as a finished product, I just want to finish it and move on".

The team pretty clearly bit off more than they could chew, I'm glad they tried but wish they narrowed their scope to something they could better execute on.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So Blue Lions is the only one that isn't half-assed right? Golden Deer/Silver Snow are the same thing, only with variable charisma of the main guy who isn't you; it at least features cutscenes. Black Eagles is arguably the most interesting, but clearly underdeveloped.

e: nah, they're all half-assed

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 12, 2022

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah, there's supposedly cut content from the Lions route that was supposed to involve re-recruiting some characters -- that might've gone a long way.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Now that the weapons triangle isn't a thing, what does it mean to focus on a specific melee weapon? I'm playing Golden Deer and it seems like I have a lot of lance people, and so I moved a few character priorities to other things.

Also, I'm dumb and get decision paralysis in games where I can spec characters sometimes, if time ticks forwards irreversably. I spent the first two teaching sessions just kinda feeling out how stuff works, and how effective certain choices were (It seems like professor experience makes a huge difference). I have to assume I can't FUBAR things too badly if I haven't even done my first real battle, right?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

DrankSinatra posted:

Now that the weapons triangle isn't a thing, what does it mean to focus on a specific melee weapon? I'm playing Golden Deer and it seems like I have a lot of lance people, and so I moved a few character priorities to other things.

Also, I'm dumb and get decision paralysis in games where I can spec characters sometimes, if time ticks forwards irreversably. I spent the first two teaching sessions just kinda feeling out how stuff works, and how effective certain choices were (It seems like professor experience makes a huge difference). I have to assume I can't FUBAR things too badly if I haven't even done my first real battle, right?

You're fine. As long as you're not on Maddening nothing actually matters too much so spec your characters into what you like.

Focusing on a specific weapon will unlock weapon skills and passives associated with that.

For example Sword crit +10% is a passive you unlock if you get S rank swords.

If you're speccing someone out of lance I would very strongly recommend putting Leonie into swords.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

If you're on Hard or below, you can just kind of roll with character proficiencies and it'll work out fine enough. Focusing on a specific weapon is done so you can go into classes that require those weapon ranks or so you can run a setup of combat arts of that type.

I bumbled through the game my first time on Hard and didn't have too many problems, Claude is good enough from mid to late game to carry you through hard for the most part.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Sorry, felt obligated to respond to Blastinus's post on LP in a spoilery way:

Blastinus posted:

The thing is, while Byleth throwing himself in harm's way does seem like a stupid gesture, it's also a means of establishing that the character, despite seeming to be a blank slate, does have a significant character flaw of charging in without thinking. I think it's okay for a character to not always make the right decision in the heat of the moment, especially when Sothis calls him out for it in the very same scene.

Man, this line of thinking is going to give me a gigantic headache when we get to AM and have MU deciding that killing Randolph is the preferable alternative to literally anything else, isn't it?

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 12, 2022

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I finally found the right thread for this!

Some musings now that I'm in chapter 7 of my first maddening run, using the deer in a ng:

Positive things

quote:

- Ignatz rules hard. I've been a little lucky with some good STR growths but even without that the guy never misses which is insanely valuable against these dodgy jerks. Cannot wait for hunters volley.
- Lorenz has been doing solid work. He might fall off later but right now as a humble mage he does well and can take hits that Lysithea can't so I'm free to be risky with him. That's valuable imo.
- Balthus just seems like a better Raphael which is just cementing the latter's permanent guard adjutant duty later on. Plus he's canonical war monk guy and I want to try the dlc classes.
- Claude, Hilda, Lysithea, Marianne and Leonie are all very solid units for me. Nothing crazy like early game BL but just very good (Lysithea can be a little nuts).
- Byleth is a STR monster at the moment. In fact, I've had to unequip str+2 so other units can get exp since she often just ORKOs everything. Also pretty fast and I expect she'll be even faster once I cert into peggy which should be by the end of this chapter.
- Speaking of fast, holy poo poo Petra. Glad she comes as a thief because I forgot to get one and already noticed some things to steal in ch 6.
- Death knight was not scary at all, didn't even have dark spikes for ch 6.
- I'll hit A professor rank this month. I don't know if that's on curve or not but it seems pretty good.

Some mistakes

quote:

- I definitely recruited Sylvain too early. There isn't enough to go around in the early chapters and he really got shafted alongside Raphael. It doesn't help that his growths have been pathetic, never above 2/level, and hardly any in strength (go train and quit playing around with girls dude).
- To that end I think I'm going to cut my losses and switch Sylvain over from flying to the cav line for earlier swift strikes. Sucks about the flying goal training he's been doing but it's not too bad. Plenty of time to get enough riding since I'm going to slow boat him a little with adjutant duty so he can get deathblow and hit+20 before paladin.
- I used Catherine a whole bunch in BL and I think it's a little dull to do the same thing twice in a row, so I decided to de-prioritize her compared to everyone else.
- I did the fortress knight cert trick for all the in house members + sylvain. While tanky Lysithea is funny I'm not sure it was worth doing for the mages since it came at an opportunity cost and anyone not name Lorenz is still likely to die. Also if they get hit it means I just need to play better.

And a question: Since Sylvain is grounded I'll have 4 fliers at endgame. I was thinking to bring in Flayn as a dark flier to get back to 5 and to use that magic flying batallion. Is it worth doubling back for mag+2 (and draw back) for early-midgame? I thought about spd+2 for petra and str+2 for balthus but I need Petra in thief to steal right now and Balthus is going to get deathblow anyway.

Full cast is now be FK Byleth / Barb Claude / WL Hilda / Sniper Ignatz / BK Leonie / WL Petra / Grim Lysithea / DK Marianne / Grap or WM Balthus / Dancer Dorothea / DF Flayn / Pally Sylvain / Grap or WM Raphael / DK Lorenz / SM Catherine

Byleth to Dorothea is a lock, everyone else swapped in as needed otherwise adjutant or bench.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Hey, don't underestimate the Cavalry -> Paladin line. Sure you're not getting the flight or strength modifier of a Wyvern Lord, but it's still an 8 move unit with canto and lancefaire. Plus, grounded units tend to have access to better battalions than flying units. In fact, if you do Sylvain's paralogue, I believe you get one that gives stride and a lot of avoid. As long as he gets Swift Strikes, Sylvain can't possibly be a bad unit.

As for Magic +2 and Draw Back, I'd say it's always worth it on every magic unit. Mages aren't really starved for skills like physical units are anyway, and even non-offensive units get use out of it with extended range for support spells. Strength +2 is also nice to have if you don't have any other skills to equip, especially for someone using gauntlets. I still leave it on for some units even in the endgame.

As for the War Monk, uhh... you can try it out and it's not a terrible class, but I don't think you get much out of it either. Even though Balthus is supposed to be the premiere War Monk, he really doesn't have good magic or spells to make it better for him than say Warmaster or Grappler. Still, if you are leveling up Balthus' faith you might as well give it a shot and see how it works for you.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bluff Buster posted:

Hey, don't underestimate the Cavalry -> Paladin line. Sure you're not getting the flight or strength modifier of a Wyvern Lord, but it's still an 8 move unit with canto and lancefaire. Plus, grounded units tend to have access to better battalions than flying units. In fact, if you do Sylvain's paralogue, I believe you get one that gives stride and a lot of avoid. As long as he gets Swift Strikes, Sylvain can't possibly be a bad unit.

As for Magic +2 and Draw Back, I'd say it's always worth it on every magic unit. Mages aren't really starved for skills like physical units are anyway, and even non-offensive units get use out of it with extended range for support spells. Strength +2 is also nice to have if you don't have any other skills to equip, especially for someone using gauntlets. I still leave it on for some units even in the endgame.

As for the War Monk, uhh... you can try it out and it's not a terrible class, but I don't think you get much out of it either. Even though Balthus is supposed to be the premiere War Monk, he really doesn't have good magic or spells to make it better for him than say Warmaster or Grappler. Still, if you are leveling up Balthus' faith you might as well give it a shot and see how it works for you.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty good! Just not what I had planned at the start and I wasted some time with flying as one of the goals for him. The access to great landed battalions is a big plus and why I initially wanted to keep the number of flyers down.

The second point checks out to me. My concern is more about spending a level up with beginner class growths, but I guess one won't hurt? I might put Balthus back in fighter if it isn't so bad for str+2, and I actually used shove in the ch 6 map which makes me think small urban maps might make it useful. What about spd+2? Petra already seems pretty fast but I think I could use swap in similar situations to shove. I really like the movement arts to be honest, I use canto reposition constantly.

Also I just realized that War Monk and War Master have the same initials - I'm not going to keep Balthus in war monk! I was thinking brawl avo would be handy to have. He's definitely going to spend most of his time in grappler or war master after I get that. (same with raphael).

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

What about spd+2? Petra already seems pretty fast but I think I could use swap in similar situations to shove. I really like the movement arts to be honest, I use canto reposition constantly.

Honestly, I've never felt the need to get either Speed +2 or Swap. Darting Blow from Pegasus Knight usually covers the speed well enough, and +2 speed isn't as significant in Maddening when the fastest enemies will be way too fast for even Petra to naturally double. As for swap, I feel like it's the weakest repositioning art since you're replacing one unit in a bad spot with another unit in that same bad spot. I might be underselling Swap though; I have had times were map geometry and unit traffic prevented me from using Reposition, where Swap would have been useful, and Canto nullifies the weakness I just pointed out. It's up to you if that's worth it.

Also, I really wouldn't worry about the class growth rates, especially if you're trying to master classes. An extra 10% growth rate is just an average of one extra point over ten levels, and as you might have noticed, enemies have super stacked stats in Maddening that's only going to keep getting higher. As long as you focus on good abilities, gambits, battalions and combat arts, even characters getting unlucky level ups can perform well enough.

As for your Grappler vs. Warmaster dilemma, I generally think of Grappler as the better player phase class thanks to Fierce Iron Fist, the unique Combat Art for the class that hits three times, while the Warmaster does better during the enemy phase, especially if he also has some form of the vantage/wrath combo. Again, it depends on what you want your units to do.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bluff Buster posted:

Honestly, I've never felt the need to get either Speed +2 or Swap. Darting Blow from Pegasus Knight usually covers the speed well enough, and +2 speed isn't as significant in Maddening when the fastest enemies will be way too fast for even Petra to naturally double. As for swap, I feel like it's the weakest repositioning art since you're replacing one unit in a bad spot with another unit in that same bad spot. I might be underselling Swap though; I have had times were map geometry and unit traffic prevented me from using Reposition, where Swap would have been useful, and Canto nullifies the weakness I just pointed out. It's up to you if that's worth it.

Also, I really wouldn't worry about the class growth rates, especially if you're trying to master classes. An extra 10% growth rate is just an average of one extra point over ten levels, and as you might have noticed, enemies have super stacked stats in Maddening that's only going to keep getting higher. As long as you focus on good abilities, gambits, battalions and combat arts, even characters getting unlucky level ups can perform well enough.

As for your Grappler vs. Warmaster dilemma, I generally think of Grappler as the better player phase class thanks to Fierce Iron Fist, the unique Combat Art for the class that hits three times, while the Warmaster does better during the enemy phase, especially if he also has some form of the vantage/wrath combo. Again, it depends on what you want your units to do.

I won't bother with myrmidon then though I do think I could make swap work. Besides, I need steal right now and if I'm going to spend extra time in a tier I'd rather spend it in intermediates for death+darting+hit20. Thanks!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Prurient Squid posted:

I think I'm going to get back into this game and play it on hard with permadeaths and no save scumming and just see where that gets me. Since I've forgotten literally everything about how the game works and how to buys swords and stuff and how combat works and how the routes diverge from one another, I expect to have a hard time.

edit:

So I bought the expansion pass for the first time. Also, I need my joy cons to recharge because I haven't used the Switch in a good long while. But I'll be playing the game soon enough.

Prurient Squid posted:

Well it's been a week since I made the post above and I played about 20m which was the opening cutscene up to the start of the tutorial fight.

I'm going to eat some sausages in baked rolls while my joycons charge and then actually play the game.

edit:

And, as I said above, I'm expecting to do terribly.

edit:

I'll go with Dimitri because I don't think I've done that before.

Well it's been 5 months since I made the above posts. Now to actually play it!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you eating ok? I'm going to play the new fire emblem.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
So my first attempt at the mock battle I got taken out by Hilda and Claude hiding in the bushes. Claude hit twice with his bow and Hilda came out with her axe, chop. Game Over.

Second attempt. I lost Dedue early on because one hit from a magic spell took half his hit points. I won. No lossess because there are not deaths in the mock battle.

It was fun. This might be a useful way of channeling my aggression.

edit:

I'm eating fine. I had minestrone soup with panini. Then later I had a big pear.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 6, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pears are so fuckin good, great choice.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the thinking man's apple

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
War Monk is a punch class with some magic, so it's good for strong classes who also have a spell list you like. It is also a punch class that allows girls. Balthus doesn't make the best headliner because he also has access to War Master and his spell list is just okay.

It is, however, a class that lets someone like Edelgard use magic without tanking her physical stats, and also she has the stats to tear people in half with her bare hands if that appeals to you.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

War Monk is a punch class with some magic, so it's good for strong classes who also have a spell list you like. It is also a punch class that allows girls. Balthus doesn't make the best headliner because he also has access to War Master and his spell list is just okay.

It is, however, a class that lets someone like Edelgard use magic without tanking her physical stats, and also she has the stats to tear people in half with her bare hands if that appeals to you.
you know it literally never occurred to me to make war monk edelgard, despite wanting to use her cool spell list. Mostly because training fists on girls is annoying and she has a crippling faith weakness.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

It also doesn't help that in a very bizarre act of balancing, War Clerics get halved magic uses, so Edeldard's already limited magic is even easier to burn through.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Sorry but Edelgard and her palette just looks too good as a Valkyrie for that not to be her dlc class. It even makes her look terrific with her side ponytail which I normally hate.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I've come back to play Cindered Shadows and was curious: around what level do you reach in the main story by the end? My latest save has me around early 20s but I can't tell if that's endgame. We're ripping through the 20s at the start of CS...

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Main story'll probably end with your core team somewhere in the mid-30s to low/mid 40s range, depending on how many paralogues you do. If you're really thorough, a couple of your absolute best shitwreckers might just barely reach 50 by the end.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Thanks, that makes sense. There's practically double the time between the file I looked at and the NG+ one I didn't.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the only thing I really liked about the DLC is that Edelgard and Hilda got to team up

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If I have someone focused entirely on brawling, I often put them through War Monk just to get the brawling avoid + before going to Grappler. But it's only worth it if grinding out the faith ranks won't detract too much from other areas.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

War monk has both the coolest magic animations and the coolest brawling animations, so there's no reason not to just be in it all the time tbqh

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Amppelix posted:

War monk has both the coolest magic animations and the coolest brawling animations, so there's no reason not to just be in it all the time tbqh
the fashion's not great

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Amppelix posted:

Hang on. Sorry but trickster finger gun animations are definitely the superior magic animations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

the fashion's not great

Isn’t there an option to wear your default school/timeskip/maid outfits no matter what class you’re in?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Playing through CS and remembering it was Dimitri's MVP most of the time in the main story (chose his path) and he's killing it here too. Lost only once, to Byleth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Hang on. Sorry but trickster finger gun animations are definitely the superior magic animations.
i mean those are cool for a novelty but they take really long, and i don't like the "heavy magic" animation at all

the war monk ones are really snappy and punchy (which is a thing this game's animations generally tend to lack also)