Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
We need a "piss sippers" gangtag
or an Enron Cuck one, i dunno. whatever floats your boat (its piss. your boat is floating on piss.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Entropic posted:

The excuse I always hear when people say billionaires should pay their fair share is "he's not really a billionaire technically, all that is just theoretical wealth tied up in stock value"
Which just makes me think, OK, if he has 100 billion in theoretical stock value, why wouldn't you just cash out of that?
Even in some insane scenario where doing so only gets you 1% of the theoretical value because the stock crashes, that's still a billion dollars.
Say you actually pay your taxes for some reason, that's still, what, like over 500,000,000 dollars?
Which if he lives for another 50 years is 10,000,000 a year which is more than someone should ever reasonably ever be able to spend and that's if you just put it in a savings account instead of reinvesting it.

Why on earth would you keep your wealth tied up in fickle company valuation instead of cashing out into more money than you could ever spend? Does being a billionaire cause brain damage?

Like OK, maybe if you stay the course you could be a 100-billionaire instead of a 100-millionaire, what actual quality of life difference is there between those two state of wealth? What am I missing here?

you keep it tied up there because your insane stock value is propped up by the notion of you continuing to behave in the manner that made you a billionaire to begin with. so if you give up the act and cash out, you'll double-tank the stock, both as a simple market consequence of your selling and due to your obvious abandonment of your commitment to increase shareholder value

oh and btw all your extravagant personal spending is financed by margin loans secured by said stock. so if the price goes down too much, the banks come calling

you can go from being worth "billions" to nothing if it turns out you're a fraud. see elizabeth holmes. hopefully society comes to have the same opinion of elon musk. twitter's reaction seems like a good start to me

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe I missed this earlier but is https://muskmessages.com/ legit because some of the stuff in there is hilariously dumbfuck

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

MikeJF posted:

Maybe I missed this earlier but is https://muskmessages.com/ legit because some of the stuff in there is hilariously dumbfuck

Jason Calacanis

2022-04-14 12:00:48 ( CDT )
You could easily clean up bots and spam and make the service viable for many more users Removing bots and spam is a lot less complicated than what the Tesla self driving team is doing ( based on hearing the last edge case meeting ) -

2022-04-14 12:01:16 ( CDT )
And why should blue check marks be limited to the elite , press and celebrities ? How is that democratic ?

2022-04-14 12:04:52 ( CDT )
The Kingdom would like a word .. https://twitter.com/Alwaleed_Talal/status/1514615956986757127?s=20&t=2q4VfMBXrldYGj 3vFN_row @

2022-04-15 17:06:33 ( CDT )
Back of the envelope ... Twitter revenue per employee : $ 5B rev / 8k employees = $ 625K rev per employee in 2021 Google revenue per employee : $ 257B rev / 135K employee = $ 1.9M per employee in 2021 Apple revenue per employee : $ 365B rev / 154k employees = $ 2.37M per employee in fiscal 2021

2022-04-15 17:08:07 ( CDT )
Twitter revenue per employee if 3k instead of 8k : $ 5B rev / 3k employees = $ 1.66m rev per employee in 2021 ( more industry standard )

lol

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Blue is Elon lmao

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That can't be real, but it would be funny if it is

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

^------ hard to tell with how dumb elon is if these are real

Elon to Jason "Magic Thumbs" Calcanis

edit: Yeah, looks like it's just all bullshit. Link in the footer goes here: https://sellout.co/

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 9, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If Elon was just bluffing about buying Twitter to pump and dump, why did he sign a contract?

He could of bluffed about buying it and shitposted all day long on twitter but never actually put together a deal, right?

Like isin't their a piece of paper somewhere that says "I, Elon Musk, will day lolmeme price per share of twitter" with his signature and somebody at Twitters on it?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

staberind posted:

(its piss. your boat is floating on piss.)

How much per month to just have normal water taken from dying dried out places?

Also PM the horse cum rates. Asking for someone else.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Butcher posted:

How much per month to just have normal water taken from dying dried out places?

Also PM the horse cum rates. Asking for someone else.

I tried to get Putin on the blower but it was just a fax machine.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1590185298260291585

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

On lowtax day of all days, he’s doxxing users

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Yo if there's any reason people should stop using Twitter, it's poo poo like this

edit: Skimmed a few comments on there and you don't have to give an address to be verified or have an account so this isn't true, I think. I've never had a Twitter account but it makes sense. Gotta give them your phone number though

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 9, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Delete your Twitter account.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can anyone find this article?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

That DICK! posted:

On lowtax day of all days, he’s doxxing users

hmmm, its actually...

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

200 pages of Leon lols on LowtaxDay. He should celebrate the same way.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Unperson_47 posted:

Yo if there's any reason people should stop using Twitter, it's poo poo like this

edit: Skimmed a few comments on there and you don't have to give an address to be verified or have an account so this isn't true, I think. I've never had a Twitter account but it makes sense. Gotta give them your phone number though

the reason this is funny is because you don't have to provide your home address

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This is fake. The linked images reference an article in the Guardian written by Heidi Parta, but I can't find any trace of article or author. Elon's petty as poo poo, but this is nonsense.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

aww looks like i was had.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

He’s telling the employees to figure out their home addresses and then do poo poo that got those eBay fucks convicted.

Edit: oh well, it’s true in our hearts

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Analog posted:

Hi. I’m Elon Musk and I recommend that you vote Republican in order to balance things out. I also chug piss.

Somehow you are now banned from twitter?!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

the reason this is funny is because you don't have to provide your home address

The thing is twitter absolutely harvests enough information that they could figure it out. The information you give them is nothing compared to the information they take.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MikeJF posted:

The thing is twitter absolutely harvests enough information that they could figure it out. The information you give them is nothing compared to the information they take.

Yeah that article is a joke though

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Unperson_47 posted:

Gotta give them your phone number though
This is all that's needed, as long as the phone number is registered to whoever is also paying the bill. I used one of those phone number identity services back when someone was harassing me and all I had was their number (and the whitepages and every search engine was giving me nothing). I got the full name, address, carrier, and length of time the number was in service for that person sent back to me the next day. Turns out I knew the guy. Harassment stopped right after that. Twitter probably has it way easier.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Because he didn't understand that it was for verification until all the advertisers pulled out over the weekend and a series of people patiently explained it to him.

He probably still doesn't get it and this is just his sop to get people to stop pestering him

twitter hasn't previously been consistent about it only being verification instead of a badge of honor - pulling verification as punishment has muddled that

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Yeah that article is a joke though

Oh yeah. Just saying they've all got terrifying amounts of information.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
they can harvest vast amounts from phones, its a bit different with pc's and the vageries of isp's especially when you are on whats essentially an isp's vpn, you basically are anywhere withinin a 2-400 mile blob.
i occasionally have to use a different browser for reasons and its always fascinating to see ads targeted to cities or towns hundreds of miles away.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

PITY BONER posted:

This is all that's needed, as long as the phone number is registered to whoever is also paying the bill. I used one of those phone number identity services back when someone was harassing me and all I had was their number (and the whitepages and every search engine was giving me nothing). I got the full name, address, carrier, and length of time the number was in service for that person sent back to me the next day. Turns out I knew the guy. Harassment stopped right after that. Twitter probably has it way easier.

Asking for a friend, but what specific service did you use?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Entropic posted:

The excuse I always hear when people say billionaires should pay their fair share is "he's not really a billionaire technically, all that is just theoretical wealth tied up in stock value"
Which just makes me think, OK, if he has 100 billion in theoretical stock value, why wouldn't you just cash out of that?
Even in some insane scenario where doing so only gets you 1% of the theoretical value because the stock crashes, that's still a billion dollars.
Say you actually pay your taxes for some reason, that's still, what, like over 500,000,000 dollars?
Which if he lives for another 50 years is 10,000,000 a year which is more than someone should ever reasonably ever be able to spend and that's if you just put it in a savings account instead of reinvesting it.

Why on earth would you keep your wealth tied up in fickle company valuation instead of cashing out into more money than you could ever spend? Does being a billionaire cause brain damage?

Like OK, maybe if you stay the course you could be a 100-billionaire instead of a 100-millionaire, what actual quality of life difference is there between those two state of wealth? What am I missing here?
its not about quality of life. its about attention. myspace tom is living it up with his myspace bucks but barely anyone thinks about him anymore. people are currently talking about and paying attention to musk.

musk wants to be a tesla, newton, or einstein, a scientist whose name goes down in the history books as pushing humanity forward. for whatever reason hes tied that up into his head as the only thing that could possibly give him validation. thats why hes trying to spin twitter as capable of saving humanity, and why he never actually wanted to buy it. hes not just a generic rich guy, he desperately craves the image of being smart. even though he couldnt tell you a drat thing about how his rockets work or the technology behind self-driving cars - or even the technology behind twitter - it's the image he craves.

so he can't cash out, because then he'd just be some rich guy, not a thought leader. but he's put himself into a situation where he has to keep funneling money into a pit to try and save that image, even though the pit has nothing to do with what he wants.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Entropic posted:

The human brain will adapt and make your current situation feel “normal” or “average”, but on the other hand, it’s primed to always look for an improvement.

Like this banker dude in Germany during the 2008 financial crisis that stepped in front of a train because half of his wealth was wiped, leaving him with a partly ~100 million euros.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mokotow posted:

Like this banker dude in Germany during the 2008 financial crisis that stepped in front of a train because half of his wealth was wiped, leaving him with a partly ~100 million euros.

Ah well

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If any other billionaires lose money but still have some left, and leap in front of a train, hmu put me in your will. I’ll take care of the remains (in your bank accounts)

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Can you buy those 8 dollar checkmarks yet?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You can pay for one.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm thinking about creating a D&D monster sheet for the Musky Blue Tick, a magically aggravating parasite and putting this on my disused twitter account.
I'm away from the computer though so feel free to do it first.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I think these are real, way too much effort would have been done to fake them

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Soggy Muffin posted:

I think these are real, way too much effort would have been done to fake them

Isn't it just the documents from the court case that someone has arranged in a cellphone style thread? I feel like I've seen some of these before.

It's also why

quote:

Liked "Twitter is obviously not[..]"
shows up as it's own comment and not a heart on the previous comment or whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tunicate posted:

twitter hasn't previously been consistent about it only being verification instead of a badge of honor - pulling verification as punishment has muddled that

True. So goddamn stupid

Twitter was dumb as hell before Elon got a twinkle in his balls about it. Remember when they introduced the "Suggested Tweets" feed and forcibly made you look at it instead of "Most Recent Tweets" in chronological order? Which made it impossible to follow what people were doing in a sane timeline which allegedly was the whole point of the thing in the first place. And then they kept rolling back the feature due to user outcry and then sneaking it back in https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/14/twitter-no-longer-lets-users-access-the-chronological-timeline-by-default/

I have not opened the Twitter app on purpose in months and the above is why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

If your money is in the company, you can tell it what to do. That's pretty much it. If you cash out, you get however much more or less your control of the company made happen. It's where people who have more than the FDIC limit stick their money so it can not stagnate.

At least, that's my take. Otherwise, you need to juggle like, three dozen accounts and put the bulk of the money in "that one bank in the middle of Manhattan that will only go bust if the Stock Market completely implodes instantaneously."