Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I went to elementary school with Desantis and have this stupid dirt on him. It's the elementary school poetry he wrote for our school literary magazine. Hope this sinks him in 2024.

Edit: this is the worst snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I went to elementary school with Desantis and have this stupid dirt on him. It's the elementary school poetry he wrote for our school literary magazine. Hope this sinks him in 2024.

We all write stupid and cringey poo poo in our school years but it’s entirely on us to move past it. I’m betting that Ron never did.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Do you know what a snipe is? Also, how exactly is this bad?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
R's are pretty pissed at Trump right now. Talking all kinds of poo poo about him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden, DNC et al aren't particularly perturbed about Florida.

Before tonight Trump would've swatted DeSantis like a fly.

Now DeSantis has the clout, and the environment is much more favorable, for him to get in some real body blows against Trump before he hits the mat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

R's are pretty pissed at Trump right now. Talking all kinds of poo poo about him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden, DNC et al aren't particularly perturbed about Florida.

Now DeSantis has the clout, and the environment is much more favorable, for him to get in some real body blows against Trump before he hits the mat.

DeSantis lives safely in the Florida state media bubble, Trump shouldn't be afraid of him at all. Charlie loving Crist made DeSantis look like a constipated baby on the debate stage, Trump will eat him alive. There is only one Lord of the Chuds.

Trump's real problem is that he's not selling when the national election results come in.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

trump's still in a better position than he was in 2015 i think (to win the gop primary i mean)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Desantis is only getting if Trump drops dead before the election. If he's not picking up the GrubHub tab for Mar-A-Lago to encourage Trump to eat all the McDonalds he wants he's already behind.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Best snipe.

At least he'll be the first presidential candidate to exhibit signs of dementia in the 7th grade

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

Except they know for sure Biden can beat Trump and the risk is someone new beats Biden.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

DeSantis lives safely in the Florida state media bubble, Trump shouldn't be afraid of him at all. Charlie loving Crist made DeSantis look like a constipated baby on the debate stage

Crist still got blown out.

As did Clinton after she clobbered Trump in debates.

It's long been known that Debates don't shift opinions.

It wouldn't be DeSantis' debate skills that would doom him, it'd be his questionable ability to generate Trump-level enthusiasm and his weird unlikable prick personality. It's also unknown if his 3rd World Iron fist dictator schtick will actually play on the national stage.

Regardless, Trump clearly is afraid of him. And the Midterms aren't helping. But don't take my word for it.

yronic heroism posted:

Except they know for sure Biden can beat Trump and the risk is someone new beats Biden.

But since Trump is almost certainly running, DeSantis would have to beat Trump in the primary (which apparently people seem to think is somewhat unlikely) if he were to face Biden. Which leaves us back at DeSantis just softening up Trump.

But who knows, maybe we'll get a nightmare scenario and Trump and DeSantis will unite. Doubtful Trump's ego would allow it, but the Harris/DeSantis debates would be uniformly terrible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

It wouldn't be DeSantis' debate skills that would doom him, it'd be his questionable ability to generate Trump-level enthusiasm and his weird unlikable prick personality. It's also unknown if his 3rd World Iron fist dictator schtick will actually play on the national stage.

Regardless, Trump clearly is afraid of him. And the Midterms aren't helping. But don't take my word for it.

But since Trump is almost certainly running, DeSantis would have to beat Trump in the primary (which apparently people seem to think is somewhat unlikely) if he were to face Biden. Which leaves us back at DeSantis just softening up Trump.

But who knows, maybe we'll get a nightmare scenario and Trump and DeSantis will unite. Doubtful Trump's ego would allow it, but the Harris/DeSantis debates would be uniformly terrible.

So in a local red state where you are the incumbent governor, the winds are with you and it doesn't really matter that you're a charisma black hole when all the party and donors are invested in you. None of this is the case when you go up against the king-in-exile and voters are looking for who excites them, not Guy with (R) Next to His Name.

Now I don't think given these results tonight that Trump wins in 2024 but he's going to sail through the primary unless he dies. All of these guys doing their best Trump impression have absolutely none of his charisma or low animal cunning.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

-Blackadder- posted:

Is there any reason DeSantis isn't just running as VP? He is young enough, he would get the cred even if Trump loses and he would be the designated heir in 2028 either way since Trump won't probably be able to run then either way. Is he just a similar impossible narcissist fascist megalomaniac? He's a Republican politician, isn't their spine surgically removed and lips surgically attached to Trump's rear end in a top hat as a routine procedure now?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

-Blackadder- posted:

Didn't the GOP say they're not gonna do presidential debates anymore?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DarkCrawler posted:

Is there any reason DeSantis isn't just running as VP? He is young enough, he would get the cred even if Trump loses and he would be the designated heir in 2028 either way since Trump won't probably be able to run then either way. Is he just a similar impossible narcissist fascist megalomaniac? He's a Republican politician, isn't their spine surgically removed and lips surgically attached to Trump's rear end in a top hat as a routine procedure now?

Well, Trump would have to pick him as VP and I doubt he's interested in that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Prism posted:

Well, Trump would have to pick him as VP and I doubt he's interested in that.

What the gently caress he cares? Just kiss his rear end and he'll love you. He's not going to go with Pence, right?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Looks like Fetterman won if I'm reading correctly, so that's good.
Sucks about Texas, though I can't say I'm surprised

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

the_steve posted:

Sucks about Texas

An evergreen statement

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DarkCrawler posted:

What the gently caress he cares? Just kiss his rear end and he'll love you. He's not going to go with Pence, right?

I envy your ability to forget just how insanely paranoid and petty Trump is. It doesn't matter how much DeSantis sucks up, the minute Trump catches wind that the media has seen him as a contender for the nomination and has at least occasionally polled higher, he will not let go of it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Overall the results aren't great and we don't know the full damage yet, but it looks like the Red Wave didn't quite deliver. Senate stays in Democratic control for the next two years, and while Republicans are probably going to take the House, it's looking to be a single digit majority. A lot of races still left to be called though.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Also Doug Mastriano isn't my governor, so trans people and abortions will stay legal in PA for the time being.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah, being one of Trump's toadies involves an endless cycle of personal humiliation and abject debasement in order to stay inside the inner circle.

It's poison to someone who's trying to build a strong national profile.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I am glad NY kept Hochul even though I don't give a poo poo about her personally. Just the (remote) threat of a NY Republican governor for 4 years at this point in history was terrifying. I live in an area with a lot of Zeldin signs and entitled white people with Fox News addictions, so it was hard to get out of that anecdotal headspace.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Looks like all the abortion-ban ballot initiatives failed, thank Allah

Abortion on the Ballot https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/11/08/us/elections/results-abortion.html

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Do we know how a hypothetical Trump/DeSantis primary (or if you prefer, Trump/DeSantis vs DeSantis/Trump tickets) poll nationally? Like yeah DeSantis has an insane army of Floridian devotees, but Trump has oke of those in all (or lets say most) states not just Florida. Like is there a big idk Idahoans for DeSantis movement

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

projecthalaxy posted:

Do we know how a hypothetical Trump/DeSantis primary (or if you prefer, Trump/DeSantis vs DeSantis/Trump tickets) poll nationally? Like yeah DeSantis has an insane army of Floridian devotees, but Trump has oke of those in all (or lets say most) states not just Florida. Like is there a big idk Idahoans for DeSantis movement

Anecdotally (NC/NY), I've heard my very Trumpy relatives speak fondly of DeSantis pretty often, and my less-Trumpy-but-still-Republican relatives even moreso. I mean, Fox News loves him and talk show hosts hate him, so that's basically all you need to know. The rest usually flows pretty predictably out of that.

Of course that still tells us relatively little about "undecided voters" but I'm not convinced there's really any way to know that ahead of time at this point.

From skimming the news this morning, it certainly seems like the narrative is solidifying around "GOP didn't do great, Trumpy candidates failed, DeSantis excelled." Including Fox News.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Can I throw this gorgon rear end poetry on Twitter

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Who bit who?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fof40yqaW1U

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

In good news, Michigan has a Democratic house, senate and governor for the first time in like 40 years!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kloaked00 posted:

In good news, Michigan has a Democratic house, senate and governor for the first time in like 40 years!

Does that mean the poison water gets fixed?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

-Blackadder- posted:

DeSantis is short with weird stubby little arms and can't wear a suit well. This is ultimately what would really doom him nationally.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

skylined! posted:

DeSantis is short with weird stubby little arms and can't wear a suit well. This is ultimately what would really doom him nationally.

Counterpoint trump willingly wears bad fitting suits and leans like his property’s foundations and yet he still commands a following

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
DeSantis’ biggest downfall is he’s a short-tempered rear end in a top hat that can’t channel that energy to smarmy “burns” on his opponent. Trump followers just love his schoolyard bully energy. It’s got all the finesse of a 13 year old who thinks he’s roasting his enemies with his sick burns. They love that poo poo.

DeSantis just gets angry and becomes an rear end in a top hat. That’s not bigly enough for them.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Looks like all the abortion-ban ballot initiatives failed, thank Allah

Abortion on the Ballot https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/11/08/us/elections/results-abortion.html

Where's that pushing two red buttons meme?

Becoming pro-choice to align with the electorate at large
Double down on making 10 year olds carry to term

Next cycle we are going to see some Republicans candidates announce that they are proudly pro-choice (with "reasonable" caveats to being against "late term abortions").

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

davecrazy posted:

Next cycle we are going to see some Republicans candidates announce that they are proudly pro-choice (with "reasonable" caveats to being against "late term abortions").

There won't be. There is a substantial minority of republican voters who are single issue anti abortion. They'll vote against them in the primaries and won't turn out for general elections. The GOP is wedded to the anti-abortion movement and has no choice but to keep pushing abortion bans in order to keep this group motivated.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
[quote="Morrow" post="527600396"]
There won't be. There is a substantial minority of republican voters who are single issue anti abortion. They'll vote against them in the primaries and won't turn out for general elections. The GOP is wedded to the anti-abortion movement and has no choice but to keep pushing abortion bans in order to keep this group motivated.

I don't see how this does not crack the religious right/country club coalition.

The Republican party can not continue to hang its hat on a major plank that is 70/30 against them.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Not to defend him, but we had this big month-long poetry unit in 7th grade where they made us write limericks and haikus and poo poo. It sucked and so did my poetry. At least I didn't do it voluntarily though.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I guarantee they will. They will just continue to game the system as much as possible in order to enforce minority rule. They already have a propaganda empire that is making stupid people fearful of others instead of caring about policy so they have a baseline of voters, now they just have to continue gerrymandering and voter suppressing and winning supreme court decisions on their voter maps.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love that some right wing idiots are complaining that they didn’t run hard enough on culture war bullshit

That’s absolutely not what I saw, they were open about supporting a national abortion ban and attacking trans people

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love that some right wing idiots are complaining that they didn’t run hard enough on culture war bullshit

That’s absolutely not what I saw, they were open about supporting a national abortion ban and attacking trans people

the one thing that republicans did reasonably well, aside from noted idiot lindsey graham who was immediately stuffed into a sack and thrown in a river, was to shut up about their goal of a national abortion ban and to say wishy-washy stuff that could have sounded like that they wouldn't impose one the second they got a chance

problem is, that was not a particularly convincing lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
So how long until states start passing laws raising the voting age to 40?