Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Did covid really drive Ohio that much more crazy than the rest of the US? Michigan had people with guns taking over the state house because of covid. And that energy doesn't seem to have carried through to the midterms. Is this is a demographic change thing? This genuinely has flown completely under the radar for me.

I might be biased with the people I'm around because I work a manual labor job, but after covid it went from boy there are sure a lot more hardcore republican guys around here than there used to be, to wow almost every single person in here is an anti-vax conspiracy guy now and I honestly just blame Joe Rogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ladies and gentlemen, democracy is saved. Thank you all for coming.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

415 pages of lies

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Abortion, however, will remain 50 years in the past.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

listen jack were going use abortion as cudgel for next elections just vote for us and we may consider codifying it by 2069

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I work white collar in a healthy business and people here are the same as they've always been, but the folks I know who are older than their early 20s and work a less stable job are batshit and usually pretty clearly motivated by fear of the other and religion.

I see a loooooot of fash and fash adjacent car decals. There's a culdesac in my neighborhood that looks like a millitia group with all the gun and pro police signs and decals.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Relevant Tangent posted:

Ohio has been a deep red state since 2016.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Ohio isn't a deep red state

Getting very mixed messages here, I think a deep red state implies one where an average democrat comfortably loses to an average republican, trying to make sense of what you guys are saying it doesn't sound like Ohio has gotten that much more reactionary in the time between electing Sherrod Brown and electing JD Vance so much as the matchup there was one where the Republicans were more competent than the median Republican this cycle (not hard to do when Herschel Walker is one of their senate candidates) and the Democrats managed to succ so hard that even democrats in other states look good in comparison. There's another universe where someone more competent than Dr Oz got the nomination in Pennsylvania and goons in this thread are acting smug about how stupid people were to think that Fetterman could win because you know a bunch of chuds in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. I'm not really sure to what degree these anecdotes are useful when talking about statewide trends.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Ohio isn't a deep red state but the Democratic party here is poo poo awful and dominated by elderly people that keeps clearing the field for candidates that pretend to be Republicans over and over. Don't know why people who were inspired by Ryan campaigning on Build the Wall and I Love Cops and I Hate Asians wouldn't just go vote for the GOP candidate.

Brown proves a Dem can win in Ohio by being even vaguely pro-union and anti-oligarch

It's pretty much this, even though the Landsman win is a surprise TBH, Chabot has been untouchable as long as I've lived here (officially 10 years now).

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

allah did not, in fact, will it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
to be fair we do live in the bad timeline

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Eifert Posting posted:

I work white collar in a healthy business and people here are the same as they've always been, but the folks I know who are older than their early 20s and work a less stable job are batshit and usually pretty clearly motivated by fear of the other and religion.

I see a loooooot of fash and fash adjacent car decals. There's a culdesac in my neighborhood that looks like a millitia group with all the gun and pro police signs and decals.

yeah but if those decal wearers aren't organized enough to VOOT they are irrelevant.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will say I'm shocked Chabot lost. I think he said something recently about wanting to ban contraception which is extreme even for Southwest Ohio.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

HallelujahLee posted:

listen jack were going use abortion as cudgel for next elections just vote for us and we may consider codifying it by 2069

I literally want them to use this as the red line for the upcoming budget meltdown. Literally no we will not raise the debt ceiling until roe is codified gently caress you we will burn this country to the ground over it.

While I’m dreaming I suppose I may as well ask for a unicorn, too.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

wtf this thread lied to me.

i woke up expecting blood and wtf is this

what a boring death spiral this country is in

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The oz loss is worth the whole thing imo. Dude spent millions to lose to a 7 foot dying ultra racist baby in a goatee.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

docbeard posted:

I don't think anyone was exactly rallying behind Tim Ryan, no.

I was willing to believe otherwise just because of how wrong this thread was about so many other things.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

TehSaurus posted:

I literally want them to use this as the red line for the upcoming budget meltdown. Literally no we will not raise the debt ceiling until roe is codified gently caress you we will burn this country to the ground over it.

they might think about it but its probably a pipe dream

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1590213966999216128

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Congrats on your new police strike and recall campaign

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nothus posted:

Congrats on your new police strike and recall campaign

:emptyquote:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Dark Brandon pulled it off despite all the posts in this thread. Wow wow wow wow wow

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I guess the republican party really is the trump party now and without him nobody bothers to show up

Gonna make 2024 into a real ruckus huh

lol republicans think this was a good night for DeSantis and that trump isn't going to run now

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol republicans think this was a good night for DeSantis and that trump isn't going to run now

Cspam: Trump is going to run in 2024 (inshallah)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A police strike? Please. Stop. Don't.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

TehSaurus posted:

yeah saving roe is the perfect fundraising tool they aren't going to get rid of it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spacemang_spliff posted:

Well, I'm sure Donald Trump will see his brand is out of step with voters and gracefully step aside and lend quiet support to the new heir apparent

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

de santis is an actual potentially competent fascist so hes probably way worse than trump

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Ohio's a deep red state and the Republican guy won, it's not much deeper than that. I'm honestly starting to think Chapo's pseudo-spiritual analysis of this stuff diffusing out through leftist podcast and twitter circles is seriously brain-poisoning people.

Ryan ran as a Blue Chud, throwing footballs at Woke TVs in his commercials and slamming political correctness. He is a loser and it was obvious he was going to lose.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://twitter.com/GongwerMichigan/status/1590292754981978112?t=ETO7QdGnzFdiLJzTiISYxQ&s=19

Lmao this rules

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

HallelujahLee posted:

de santis is an actual potentially competent fascist so hes probably way worse than trump

but will he let me order dunhills through the mail again

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

spacemang_spliff posted:

:sickos:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FistEnergy posted:

Ryan ran as a Blue Chud, throwing footballs at Woke TVs in his commercials and slamming political correctness. He is a loser and it was obvious he was going to lose.

Both the Ohio and Kentucky dems love to run blue chuds.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

PostNouveau posted:

Well, I'm sure Donald Trump will see his brand is out of step with voters and gracefully step aside and lend quiet support to the new heir apparent

yes, trump is definitely going to some deep introspection and decide "i shouldn't make this about me" lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
so are the democrats going to keep the house just with a smaller majority?

I didn't expect that but that's a lmao

e: lol

https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/1590303021833293824

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Nov 9, 2022

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Nah its looking like a gop minor majority by a few seats

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

has anyone considered that DeSantis being popular in Florida may not necessarily translate into him being popular with people who don't live in Florida

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Every election is the most important yet and the drama and the tension build until everyone remembers that America sucks poo poo at counting votes.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

has anyone considered that DeSantis being popular in Florida may not necessarily translate into him being popular with people who don't live in Florida

Florida is like 30% of the US. Add Texas and thats like 60%. Sure you have another 30% each in Cali and NYC but then you have to add the 30% in the south and Midwest.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Nov 9, 2022

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Wow maybe they can undo the right to work law the gop pushed through a few years ago, can't wait to see the democrats start doing good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/dellavolpe/status/1590190476334096386