Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

madeintaipei posted:

Have you tried drinking at work? I could never get away with that due to the whole driving thing, but I hear good things.

But I wouldn't get anything done!

Oh.

Ohhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

But I wouldn't get anything done!

Oh.

Ohhhhh

Become the alcohol elemental. Games in your office, betting on the side, parties on the roof.

No, don't do that.

Unless you think you can get away with it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I cannot get away with it. I'm the boss and literally basically in charge of everything, the books and hiring and funder relations and managing staff and setting organisational direction. I'm the only one who knows how everything works. Our bus factor is a solid 1. I'm an average level scientist at best and have never been in charge of a team before, or lead a group, or managed a business. I hate my job and everyone knows it. We've doubled our staffing, revenue and community outreach. I don't know why it's working make it stop.

:tif:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 8, 2022

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

DSYWD: DSD edition, Ch. 3. My guy is just lazy and fucks me over.

Aforementioned N trusts me to run his route. After eleven years of not taking time off.

Stipulations on my end: wheels may not fall off the trailer. Axles may not fall off and get stuck underneath the trailer, grinding furrows in the road while shooting sparks ten feet behind. I would appreciate if the trailer had flooring from front to back. Flat flooring, with no holes. NO loving BUGS!

N fixes the floor, more or less. New tires, new axles. Good to go.

He asks me when I want to come into the depot to run the route with him.

"0200."

"Ugh. I haven't been in there that early in a decade. But, ok."

To his credit, he's there. We run the route and get done around 0800.

"Is there anything you need going forward?"

"Yup. Kill the roaches."

I make the mistake of mentioning boric acid as a food safe solution.

"Buy the big jug at Ball-Warg, and spead it where bugs come in."

I take over. Back the trailer up and slam the first tray on the floor. Soaked with sweat, boric acid flies everywhere.

He opened the jug and spread it until it was empty.

Top to bottom, I'm covered in white powder.

Should have been more specific.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I work for a government department that provides support for people who have disabilities. About 20% of our workforce identify as living with a disability, and part of my job involves organising equipment or building modifications for them so they can do their jobs and their working environment is inclusive and safe. About six weeks ago I have an employee who uses a wheelchair send me a photo of the accessible toilet in their office. There's a toilet roll holder installed right over the transfer/grab rail thing which pretty much makes the grab rail useless for its intended purpose.

I log a ticket with the property services team to get the toilet roll holder moved. Because the office building isn't owned by our organisation, it's rented from another government agency, any property modifications have to go through the building owners which slows everything down substantially. After about a month, the toilet roll holder still hasn't been moved and the employee takes it upon themselves to attack it with a screwdriver and remove it from the wall.

Last week, the contractors who were organised by the property team to move the toilet roll holder show up and find it on the floor. So they reattach it to the wall, in exactly the same spot it was in before.

:shepface:

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Sounds like they did move it! Good work contractors

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Counter-counter-point: Doing dumb Initial D tier bullshit in whatever racing game you like is WAY more fun shithammer wasted than it is sober.

Jim BeamNG

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 8, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The lesson here is don't ask for help, just do it yourself and charge the company for the time you did it under 'process improvements'.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I was workin wave with my tech and he was dropping parts and I was at inspection and we were rollin hard until about 2:50, ten minutes before his lunch and 40 before mine.

He came up to me and told me when he went to the bathroom an hour prior he roasted his rear end raw with diarrhea from a sandwich he ate earlier and he was gonna go home before he poo poo his pants.

If that's the dumb poo poo that happens at work in a night, that's a good night!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MrQwerty posted:

I was workin wave with my tech and he was dropping parts and I was at inspection and we were rollin hard until about 2:50, ten minutes before his lunch and 40 before mine.

He came up to me and told me when he went to the bathroom an hour prior he roasted his rear end raw with diarrhea from a sandwich he ate earlier and he was gonna go home before he poo poo his pants.

If that's the dumb poo poo that happens at work in a night, that's a good night!

Gotta admire the man's honesty!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

dervinosdoom posted:

Gotta admire the man's honesty!

If I learned anything in an aseptic cleanroom, it's be honest about having to leave work cuz you're about to poo poo your pants. No lie.

Seen a dude, one of my trainers actually, running down the hallway in a half-doffed bunnysuit covered in Cubicin holding his buttcheeks closed with both hands yelling "GET OUTTA MY WAY," and then get in trouble for getting drug all over the bathroom and entering the bathroom from the wrong door.

You know, important stuff. Not dumb stuff like a dude making GBS threads his pants in an aseptic cleanroom.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Was briefly in the office last week and listened intently while my coworker had a conversation with an unknown party.

"Ok so click on the grid in the upper left.... no wrong side. Upper LEFT. Yeah. So scroll down to Updated View. Yes it's there everyone has it.... below default view like three options down. Ok. Yeah it's kinda different you're looking f- no, we have to use this one. Because it has data default view doesn't. I don't know. Well we can't invoice or approve anything from that view, it's for the agents. I'm not sure, I didn't build- ok well you'll have to speak to Salesforce about it. Anyway in the details section... the one at the very top. You have it. It's at the top." Etc.

She gets done and I ask if she's training a new agent or something.

"No that was the VP of Dipshit Co, your new boss I guess. Wouldn't trust him to go grocery shopping without a handler." Wonderful.

Then later that day the CEO of Dipshit Co chewed out an employee for approving invoices. Guess who told said employee to approve said invoices no less than a month ago?

I have an interview for a union gig in a school district on Thursday. I need to crush it for my sanity.

Edit: Dumb boss wants me to send him all invoices so he can approve them before entering them in the system. The system that has a baked in non-negotiable approval process before anything can be paid.

Critical fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 8, 2022

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Our vendors are treating us like poo poo and we love it.

One vendor, we tell them how we are measuring to determine if a component in their assembly is out of spec. They are telling us actually that's not the correct way at all to determine if it's in spec. Then they tell us that everything they ship to us, new and reman'd, is in spec because they measured it exactly how we do. We've agreed to have everything we suspect of being out of spec shipped back to them, and they'll tell us if it is out of spec or not. Lol

Another vendor announced a product recently that directly competes with one of ours. We've been tripping over ourselves to give them more business. We're trying to get them them to develop components for our competing product and they're ghosting us. Lol

Another vendor, we had a meeting a few months ago and they basically blew us off. Late to the meeting, generic presentation, not trying to relate anything they do to our specific applications. We beg them for another meeting. They sell big this time, including selling us on a development process where we pay them to tell us the specs for the system that we will then pay them to develop for us. "Wow! Amazing! These guys are really on top of it now! Can't wait to work with them." Lol

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
"Communication is important. Make time every day to stay in communication with your coworkers. Also, use as many acronyms as possible because it will save time. Here's a list of acronyms you should start using. We know none of you have had any previous reason to use these, so we prepared a reference sheet for each of you. Seriously, we don't want you to write out whole words from now on."

I think I may have been hired by a military contractor by mistake.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Buttchocks posted:

"Communication is important. Make time every day to stay in communication with your coworkers. Also, use as many acronyms as possible because it will save time. Here's a list of acronyms you should start using. We know none of you have had any previous reason to use these, so we prepared a reference sheet for each of you. Seriously, we don't want you to write out whole words from now on."

Hell yeah, the ol TLA and xTLA/FLA reference sheet

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Buttchocks posted:

Laughing may rear end off LMAO at this nonsense

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Outrail posted:

Laughing may rear end off LMAO at this nonsense

LMAO @ dis BS

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Boss says she's going to assign me a task at 9:30.

Boss emails me what I need for that task at 12:28.

I immediately message her asking for clarification on a few points as what she's mailed me is unclear.

Now it's 2:00 and I haven't heard anything. I have literally nothing else remaining assigned to me in this sprint.

I have a shitload to do next sprint, but we are under standing orders not to bring anything forward and therefore increase the workload of the current sprint

In our morning meetings if I come up with something that should be done and is a very quick fix, my boss tells me not to work on it and to book it for next sprint because we can't add priorities midstream. This includes for things that would actively assist us or even reduce overall workload in the current sprint.

My current favourite game is being told in a meeting to book a small thing for the next sprint, and then completing that task in secret before the meeting is over.

The above is all a result of my boss's unwavering dedication to Agile, which she considers the silver bullet management style.

We are a platform management team that deals in policy and a significant service desk bau workload. We do not develop software.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Escape you should branch out:

Tad Naff posted:

Something for the political people in your life

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

champagne posting posted:

Escape you should branch out:

Apparently, the leap from beer to distilling isn't huge, as with grain spirits the first steps are pretty much the same IIRC. I just don't know if I have enough interest in it right now.

Overall, things here are fine but we're definitely never going to grow. A few days ago a brewer I know dropped by and commented that he had to like search for my beer to find it. They have a beer pairing menu that uses nothing but guest beers. My beers are on a paper printout menu that often leaves the tables and aren't replaced. I also don't think they really advertise that we make our own beer that much, just a few small mentions on the signage outside and on the menu, which seems pretty goofy to me. I've come out of the brewery into the restaurant and had patrons ask what I'm making in there. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most of the customers don't know there's a brewery on site. I get that at a brew pub the main focus is going to be on the food but I mean come on! We don't even have "brewery", "beer", or any other similar word in our name. We also don't have a dedicated sales person, so on the rare occasion where we get orders it takes like a week for the restaurant manager to even respond.

As it stands though, it's an easygoing job and I have a lot of freedom to do things I want. So I'm using it to learn more and improve where I can. I'm going to probably think more seriously about where I plan to be after I get my visa renewed early next year. At least in the meantime I'm making decent enough money and being able to take things pretty easy. Showed up at 2 today. I'll probably leave at 5. Pretty much nothing happening for me until the 15th so eyyyy!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The restaurant manager had an exciting new idea... protein beer! :cripes:

(He has no say over my schedule or what I brew)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He wants you to cum in it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

goatface posted:

He wants you to cum in it.

Someone told him about cumin beer, and...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does - a dude making GBS threads his pants in an aseptic cleanroom.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

The restaurant manager had an exciting new idea... protein beer! :cripes:

(He has no say over my schedule or what I brew)

This is a marketing problem with a marketing solution. Brew a bog standard poo poo beer, slap a '1500 mg of protein' label on the can and call it Pro-lager.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

This is a marketing problem with a marketing solution. Brew a bog standard poo poo beer, slap a '1500 mg of protein' label on the can and call it Pro-lager.

Fortunately, I don't have to listen to this guy. If pushed though, I'd still push back only because at one of the places I worked the owner insisted on me adding protein powder to a west coast IPA. When I asked what he wanted from that he only said it would be "cool". All it did was gum up my mash and added nothing noticable to the finished beer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If I want extra protein with my beer I order some chicken wings.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

If I want extra protein with my beer I order some chicken wings.

I think he brought it up because there's a protein chuhi out now. This guy just lets me know his awful ideas like adding food coloring to beer, etc. from time to time.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 9, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think he brought it up because there's a protein chuhi out now. This guy just lets me know his awful ideas like adding food coloring to beer, etc. from time to time.

Food coloring is about the most inoffensive dumb thing to do to beer. I agree that it's dumb, but all things considered beyond the usual food coloring crap like getting alarmed at a neon green poo poo the day after St. Patty's at least it's not loving up the taste etc.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Food coloring is about the most inoffensive dumb thing to do to beer. I agree that it's dumb, but all things considered beyond the usual food coloring crap like getting alarmed at a neon green poo poo the day after St. Patty's at least it's not loving up the taste etc.

I guess I would worry it would gently caress up the taste after a certain threshold. I also don't think it's going to drive sales really. Plus I have somewhat colored beers with butterfly pea tea as well as hibiscus. If I really had to add coloring I'd prefer only doing a small amount like a keg or two. It's just that classic case of trying to come up with gimmicky stuff for the sake of drumming up interest and ignoring nuts and bolts solutions like maybe featuring the beer more prominently in the menu, increasing social media presence, using our own beers for the pairing menu, etc. IMHO.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My mind immediately went to tiny chunks of mystery meat floating in beer and was immediately horrified. I know it wasn’t the intent (at least I hope not), but felt compelled to share that mental image.

Although, I suppose it could be tofu, but somehow I don’t know if that would be better. I can’t envision what that would actually be like, so my mind just defaults to boba beer.

Can you tell I know nothing at all about brewing other than to leave it to people who do?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Orvin posted:

My mind immediately went to tiny chunks of mystery meat floating in beer and was immediately horrified. I know it wasn’t the intent (at least I hope not), but felt compelled to share that mental image.

Although, I suppose it could be tofu, but somehow I don’t know if that would be better. I can’t envision what that would actually be like, so my mind just defaults to boba beer.

Can you tell I know nothing at all about brewing other than to leave it to people who do?

"Tiny chunks of mystery" floating in a brewed beverage just makes me think of the roommate I had who got deep into kombucha.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So basically Tavuk göğsü, Turkish Chicken Breast Pudding Recipe but beer

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That looks and sounds disgusting.

Just hot glue a protein bar to every can.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just say you'll make your normal beer, but once it's ready, you can get a bunch of dudes together to add the protein. Then just wink.

Alternatively, say you'll add it personally and give him a little :quagmire:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

Just say you'll make your normal beer, but once it's ready, you can get a bunch of dudes together to add the protein. Then just wink.

Alternatively, say you'll add it personally and give him a little

As a plot twist, rather than jerking off into the beer just dump the Chef's body into the fermenter.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Orvin posted:

Woah. Are you not a real patriot?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently, the leap from beer to distilling isn't huge, as with grain spirits the first steps are pretty much the same IIRC. I just don't know if I have enough interest in it right now.

Overall, things here are fine but we're definitely never going to grow. A few days ago a brewer I know dropped by and commented that he had to like search for my beer to find it. They have a beer pairing menu that uses nothing but guest beers. My beers are on a paper printout menu that often leaves the tables and aren't replaced. I also don't think they really advertise that we make our own beer that much, just a few small mentions on the signage outside and on the menu, which seems pretty goofy to me. I've come out of the brewery into the restaurant and had patrons ask what I'm making in there. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most of the customers don't know there's a brewery on site. I get that at a brew pub the main focus is going to be on the food but I mean come on! We don't even have "brewery", "beer", or any other similar word in our name. We also don't have a dedicated sales person, so on the rare occasion where we get orders it takes like a week for the restaurant manager to even respond.

As it stands though, it's an easygoing job and I have a lot of freedom to do things I want. So I'm using it to learn more and improve where I can. I'm going to probably think more seriously about where I plan to be after I get my visa renewed early next year. At least in the meantime I'm making decent enough money and being able to take things pretty easy. Showed up at 2 today. I'll probably leave at 5. Pretty much nothing happening for me until the 15th so eyyyy!

Do they actually make a profit off your product?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Machai posted:

Do they actually make a profit off your product?

Possibly? I haven't had to dump much product and they do sell the beer at other restaurants they own. But all things considered, I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

years and years ago a roommate of mine (Mike) worked at a bar/restaurant and on St. Paddy's day they'd do the green beer thing.
At the end of the night they had a keg more than half full left over and they let him take it home for us at our little beach complex to enjoy.
What Mike didn't tell us that he injected that keg with like 4x green dye servings, so much that the beer was almost black.
We were all poopin dark green for a while