Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

CordlessPen posted:

I've had this super weird problem since I got my new M32Q; when reading text on white or light grey background, it looks like the text is creating tiny artefacty lines:

(See how, in the middle of the image, there are brighter white lines around the top and bottom the "i")

This pretty much only happens in browsers but it happens in all of them (Chrome, Firefox and Edge) and only on this monitor.

I've tried changing settings (HDR, OD, OC, etc.) and different DP cables to no avail.

Anyone know if this is coming from the monitor or if it could be something else?

So, update!

I decided to change from the M32Q to the 4k M32U thinking that 1) even if the monitors were similar, the panel would be different and 2) at 4k, even if I encountered the same problem it would be much less noticeable since pixels would be much smaller. Turns out that I have the exact same issue. I'm guessing it's more about image processing than the panel so getting the "same" monitor in 4k wasn't the smartest idea. It also turns out that the artefacts aren't 1-pixel large; they're more closely related to the shape of the text.

HOWEVER, one thing that made no difference on the M32Q but seems to fix (or at the very least alleviate) the issue with the M32U is setting the OD to "Balance".

Otherwise I really like the M32U so I'll either work out a fix or learn to live with it for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

So I stopped by this thread a bit ago and got recommended that Acer. Haven't bought anything, but still waffling on stuff.

What's the upgrade option to that Acer? Aside from 4k, what does it lack that better monitors have?

I mean if we take that Acer to be baseline (either 27 or 32 inch), what's the upgrade pick?

Is $500 really the next price point for an upgrade? Is there some "intangible" something you get for a $350-$400 monitor, like better build quality or something?

And what's the story on all the similarly priced Asus TUF and Gigabyte and MSI gaming monitors?

Also why isn't it on newegg? I have store credit there I need to spend :mad:

So my assumptions/criteria here are:

3080 12Gb
Gaming is where I'm concerned about performance, otherwise web browsing/3D modeling/etc.
27 or 32 (undecided)
Not 4k
Not curved

edit:

Also, is it a given that if the 27" version of <monitor> is good then the 32" version is also good? Or does screen size drastically change the recommendations?

The next upgrade would be either a monitor with a higher refresh rate (Gigabyte M27Q-X or MSI MAG274QRX) or a monitor with local dimming (Cooler Master GP27Q), and all of these are around $500. Normally this monitor is more like $300 - $350, so its deep discount to $230 at Micro Center is sort of screwing with the typical price range. It has a high-end mid-refresh panel while being priced like a budget monitor.

There are other ways in which the XV272U may be lacking though. It has no USB ports, while many other monitors have at least a couple, and Gigabyte monitors have full-on KVMs. And the HDR in this monitor is really the kind of fake HDR many of us consider not worth using. Here's a RTINGS review of a related model (the only difference between these is that the "KV" model reviewed here has USB while the "V" model at amazon and micro center doesn't--unless Acer has done a sneaky panel swap I'm unaware of)

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Also, is it a given that if the 27" version of <monitor> is good then the 32" version is also good? Or does screen size drastically change the recommendations?

I think 32" panels are as good if not better for the most part. Get the 32" , it's so much better even at 1440p.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

32" monitors do sometimes have panels with different properties than their 27" counterparts, though they're often subtle enough to not be very important. The biggest exception has been the M27Q/M32Q, where the 32" panel had RGB subpixels and fast-ish response times while the 27" panels had medium-ish response times and a BGR subpixel arrangement. The panels may have been sourced from different manufacturers entirely, actually. But I think it's more common that monitors with two sizes available will have related panels with similar properties.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've been kind of considering bumping up from a 27" 1440p to a 32" 1440p, but the pixel density is a concern for me, too. My somewhat old 27" 1440p monitor has fantastic pixel density, and I would be concerned I'd be losing clarity for size. I guess I'd probably have it a few inches farther away than my current 27", but I'm still debating over whether a slightly bigger screen with newer VRR hardware (my current monitor seems to handle it fine) would really be much of a benefit.

Last year, I stepped up to the LG 32GN600-B because it was a Black Friday deal at Walmart ($250 last year, $200 this year!), and the size alone was a fantastic upgrade coming from a 24” 1080p. At first, I sat pretty close, maybe 20” or so away because I didn’t have a proper desk to put it on, and that made the pixel density stand out quite a bit. Now, however, I am usually sitting about 30” away and it doesn’t seem nearly as much of an issue.

Here’s the Walmart sale page if anybody cares: https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-32-UltraGear-QHD-2560x1440-165Hz-HDR-10-Monitor-with-FreeSync-32GN600-B-AUS/406688031

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

My Qnix 27 died today after like 9 years or whatever. No one in my life will understand so pour one out for me.

Be at peace in Korean greymarket heaven, little fella.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jean Eric Burn posted:

My Qnix 27 died today after like 9 years or whatever. No one in my life will understand so pour one out for me.

RIP to a real one. I had to replace the backlight in mine a few months back and it's a little more damaged because of it. Still works for a secondary display, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Sure it's not the PSU? Those are the most common failure point for the things and are easily replaceable.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It made some pretty gnarly buzzing sounds (definitely coming from inside the monitor) on the final few times it started up, it surely must be the pcb.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Not upgrading this 27" 1440p fluorescent lit piece of poo poo until 8k QD-OLED

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Enos Cabell posted:

I recently bumped up from a 27" 1440p to 32" 1440p for my main display, and I thought the decreased pixel density might be a problem but it really hasn't been noticeable at all. It just makes me wish my secondary screens were also 32" now.

It's not a very useful statement without saying how far are you sitting from it, and what's your vision like.

To get a better idea, you can take a look at http://phrogz.net/tmp/ScreenDensityCalculator.html#find:distance,pxW:2560,pxH:1440,size:32,sizeUnit:in,axis:diag,distUnit:cm,density:46.2 (fill in your actual distance, though)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mofabio posted:

Not upgrading this 27" 1440p fluorescent lit piece of poo poo until 8k QD-OLED

Lol this was me with the 23" Dell U2311H for years. It's perfectly fine, I'm sure we'll have strobing 8K OLEDs anyday now

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol this was me with the 23" Dell U2311H for years. It's perfectly fine, I'm sure we'll have strobing 8K OLEDs anyday now
i'm still using two dell U3011s. this might be the year they get replaced

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Splurged on the 34" Alienware, I can say after a few days: It rules

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What's the general consensus on BenQ monitors? Do they have really good color accuracy or something to account for why they're so much pricier than similar competitors?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend's oldest needs a new monitor for his xbox series s. He specifically wants a curved monitor. How is this one? There aren't a ton of reviews from reviewers but the people that have bought them seem to like them. Is there something better for not a ton more money?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

fknlo posted:

My girlfriend's oldest needs a new monitor for his xbox series s. He specifically wants a curved monitor. How is this one? There aren't a ton of reviews from reviewers but the people that have bought them seem to like them. Is there something better for not a ton more money?

Don't, a 32" 1080p monitor is going to look like rear end. I personally think 27" is too big for that resolution.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Not a Children posted:

Splurged on the 34" Alienware, I can say after a few days: It rules

I'm fighting my own internal war on if I just want to bite and splurge on this.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So I'm still struggling with 27 vs 32. For that Acer Nitro, it's only an extra $50 to get the 32" screen on Amazon, and while slightly slower it includes USB ports... not that I need them, but it's a nice bonus.

That said, I'm having trouble finding reviews of the 32. Anyone know of a good one? The advertised specs are just different enough from the 27" that I'm a little wary.

I looked at this:

lordfrikk posted:

It's not a very useful statement without saying how far are you sitting from it, and what's your vision like.

To get a better idea, you can take a look at http://phrogz.net/tmp/ScreenDensityCalculator.html#find:distance,pxW:2560,pxH:1440,size:32,sizeUnit:in,axis:diag,distUnit:cm,density:46.2 (fill in your actual distance, though)

And from where I typically sit, ~26" from the screen, it says that I'll notice pixels at anything larger than 20" diagonal.

Currently have 27", and if I do notice pixels, I apparently just don't give a gently caress. Or I guess my eyes are hosed, which is entirely possible since I haven't had them checked in a long time!

So while I love me some objective math, it doesn't really feel like this reflects real life very well.

But also, while I can somewhat visualize the 32", it's pretty tough... I mean it's a big difference, but really hard to figure if it'll be "wow" or "meh."

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lockback posted:

I'm fighting my own internal war on if I just want to bite and splurge on this.

At this time of year you might as well wait and see if they do another sale - extremely worth it though, awesome monitor.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Don't, a 32" 1080p monitor is going to look like rear end. I personally think 27" is too big for that resolution.

Any suggestions? I don't know what works well for consoles in this regard at all

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

change my name posted:

What's the general consensus on BenQ monitors? Do they have really good color accuracy or something to account for why they're so much pricier than similar competitors?

It looks like they do decently in reviews. Maybe not as well as their competitors in the various segments though. They do have some interesting features on some like USB-C input with PD and something like TrueTone for Apple devices. They were on my short list, due to those features, but I ended up with an M27Q.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

Any suggestions? I don't know what works well for consoles in this regard at all

The Xbox Series models support 1440p, so if you're going for a computer monitor style setup those can work.

The Series S really isn't the best for greater than 1080p gaming, but it'll run older games and streaming services at the display resolution.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

The Xbox Series models support 1440p, so if you're going for a computer monitor style setup those can work.

The Series S really isn't the best for greater than 1080p gaming, but it'll run older games and streaming services at the display resolution.

PS5 supports 1440P, as well.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ok, so i am not sure what i'm looking for exists, but here goes.

i have a new desk. the problem is it is not very deep. because of this, my dual dell u2415b monitors are very close to my face. like, if i put their stands at the back edge, the monitors are only about 15" away. waaaaaay too close for me.

therefore, i am looking for a stand or arm that will allow me to place the screens further back. ideally, the screens themselves would be about perpendicular to the desk's edge. maybe an inch or two inward, but not much more. i also don't want a mess of arms back there.

i think the best option would be something like a desk attachment that consists of just a clamping thing to the desk and a pole. on that pole is the actual mount to the monitor. the pole will allow some vertical and horizontal movement to get the monitors oriented inward and at a height barely above the desk.

does anything like this exist?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I'm not 100% sure I get exactly what you're looking for but to me that sounds a lot like the LG Ergo stand (they also make a "dual" version).As far as I know they have a pretty nice rep but I've never seen one in the wild.

It also seems to me that what you're describing could be done by wall-mounting, but as someone who wall-mounted his monitors I would only advise you do it as a last resort.

Edit: Seems the LG Ergo is only compatible with (some) LG monitors. Sorry about that!

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I have this arm pushed flat/doubled over itself and the very front of the monitor is about 7.5" from the wall behind the desk (and the arm's base is touching the wall). It probably won't be a dramatic improvement but should help.

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

But also, while I can somewhat visualize the 32", it's pretty tough... I mean it's a big difference, but really hard to figure if it'll be "wow" or "meh."

Just my personal experience but it was definitely "wow" for me. Games are much more immersive, the extra desktop space is greatly appreciated, video and generally just everything is more enjoyable on a bigger screen. Can't comment on the specific monitor you're considering, but all else being equal, for 50 bucks it's a no-brainer imo. I paid almost 100 euros extra for 32" over the 27" G7 model and it was easily worth it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Hi thread. I was directed here from the PC building thread. I just bought all the stuff for my new gaming machine and I'm trying to find a monitor that will let me use my 12GB 3080 graphics card.

This monitor was linked in the other thread and it seems to meet my needs:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012056

32"
High refresh rate
NOT curved

Unfortunately this model is out of stock so I checked Amazon and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Fre...97-eb60747b8daf

Is there a meaningful difference between the two (other than price)?

Are there any other recommendations people can make?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
They're the same monitor.

My recommendation is to wait like a week. Often monitors go on HEAVY discount now through early January.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The only difference between those two is the stand. The "Arm Edition" uses a bit of an odd desk-mounted monitor arm that lacks the elbow-like joint most standard arms have. It may be a little clunky to use depending on your desk setup.

It's out of stock on newegg, but it can be back-ordered and the ship date eta is just two days out. But I agree with K8.0, waiting a little bit may let you snag a better deal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK thanks. I'll keep :f5: newegg and amazon to see when a good price hits and buy it then. Thanks again goons! :tipshat:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Alright, ordered the 27" Acer Nitro.

Hope it's good!

In the end I couldn't do the 32". Maybe if there were more actual reviews of it online, but it just seems like it's... non-existent. Even on Amazon, only like less than 10 of the 3,000+ reviews are for the 32" version. It's weird.

But ultimately I just kept staring at my current 27" and decided that it's plenty big for now. And for $250, seems like not such a big deal to delay a larger screen, particularly once 4k becomes more affordable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I clearly have low standards but I upgraded from a 24" 1080/60 that I had zero problems with to a 27" 1440/144 earlier this year and the 27" is still blowing my mind in terms of size and quality. (I also still have a 50" 1080 TV that I am amazed by)

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I mean, 27" is loving huge for a desktop monitor, to be sure.

But in the era of multiple monitors and 50+ inch TVs, it doesn't really seem like it from a numbers-on-paper perspective.

I can't say I would turn down a 32", but especially with my current desk it's tough to justify a monitor that I can't find any real data on, even for a marginal increase in cost. Especially on days I WFH, my desk setup will cause a 32" to physically interfere with my laptop, so pushing my laptop further away will almost make it useless as a 2nd screen.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 10, 2022

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I think you did the right thing. I went from 24” to 32” and was ultimately glad I did, but I only did it because the 32” was a bargain on sale. Go with a known quantity for a work-from-home rig.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I remember when I bought my second iMac back in like 2009; I went from the 17" G5 to the 24" Core 2 Duo and I thought I'd made a mistake going so big. Now I can't really see myself going under 32". Where would I put all those spreadsheets?!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Part of my waffling on considering a 32" is that 27" feels like the sweet spot in a lot of ways. I can only see pixels on my main monitor (27", 1440p, 144hz) if I get my nose 8 inches or less from the screen or use a magnifying glass, and I worry about losing that kind of smoothness. At 1440p it means my 3080 12GB has more than enough power to run higher framerates, and in a game it is big enough to be comfortably immersive in terms of field of view. For normal purposes, it is kind of like having two slightly overlapping 24" 1080p monitors the way I run two browsers, and it can display the equivalent of an 8.5x11 page really well.

One of the reasons I consider it at all is that my main monitor is a little older (Acer XF270HU - the IPS one, not the TN one) and I worry that the freesync is not completely up to snuff. The monitor I use for WFH stuff is a 27" Acer that also does freesync but maxes out at 75hz, and doesn't have all the bells and whistles my main monitor does (built-in USB ports and kind of kvm-ish capability).

I housesit for my mom and stepfather pretty frequently, and right now the monitor I have up there is just 24" 1080p freesync 75hz, so the idea of getting a new monitor to be my main, demote this monitor to WFH, and move the current WFH to my mom's is tempting.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Part of my waffling on considering a 32" is that 27" feels like the sweet spot in a lot of ways. I can only see pixels on my main monitor (27", 1440p, 144hz) if I get my nose 8 inches or less from the screen or use a magnifying glass,

I just got my hands on the Sony Inzone M9 to test out and it's probably because I sit too close to my monitors, but I can definitely tell the difference between the 1440p and 4K one. Moving a window between them is like night and day, the additional pixel density is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
27" is fine for 1440p imo, it feels reasonably big and a significant upgrade from 23". For 4k though I'd definitely go 32.