Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

wow I can’t believe my impression from June that Russia will ultimately lose the war or settle for far less was true, what an embarrassing strategic catastrophe for the Russians.

you steadfastly held on to this stance and never wavered, a sign of true genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i dont care who wins i just want the war to end and people to stop dying.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

glad the wars end is in sight

quoting this so we can look back at it and laugh heartily as we wait for the latest news from the 14th zaporozhia offensive in the fall of 2028

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

but man seeing the Russians really get their just desserts for what they did in Syria is really satisfying.

You could have saved 8 months of posting and just posted that and saved everyone a lot of time.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah I don't know why anyone would be crowing about a ukrainian victory at this point in time.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Yeah I don't know why anyone would be crowing about a ukrainian victory at this point in time.

getting kherson handed to them is a major victory for ukraine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

who controlled Kherson before the war started

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ardennes posted:

You could have saved 8 months of posting and just posted that and saved everyone a lot of time.

how so? i don’t have any emotional attachment to which side wins in this conflict since both of them are bad but seeing the military that helped the people who murdered my friend get walloped is emotionally satisfying in a completely meaningless and empty way. but throughout this war I did my best to read events with detachment and adjust my impressions according to the information, the middle of last summer was when my gut told me that the Russians were no longer capable of securing a big victory, the reserve call up was all about maintaining gains and nothing else, they have lost the ability to win the war.

I’m glad the war is almost over and that’s the most important part.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Nov 9, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

who controlled Kherson before the war started

Kherson was controlled by Ukraine but fell within like the first week during the initial thrust of the invasion

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

A few days ago itt we were talking about colonial projects and how there are parallels between Ulster (Small Israel), Israel (Regular Israel) and The Ukraine (Big Israel).

Anyway, heres a 2009 documentary in which a liberal Israeli lives in Belfast for a while and interviews people about said parallels. He tries and imo fails to both sides both conflicts and its pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71xFuIiXMZw

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

how so? i don’t have any emotional attachment to which side wins in this conflict since both of them are bad but seeing the military that helped the people who murdered my friend get walloped is emotionally satisfying in a completely meaningless and empty way. I’m glad the war is almost over and that’s the most important part.

I hope things get better man, I honestly do.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

speng31b posted:

getting kherson handed to them is a major victory for ukraine.

A victory, singular is not Victory. The political realities haven't changed which means we will continue to see fighting and violence.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

i'm just hoping this isn't some weird fog of war poo poo and it actually could lead to or be part of a larger ceasefire.

Southpaugh posted:

A victory, singular is not Victory. The political realities haven't changed which means we will continue to see fighting and violence.

could be. still hoping it's the start of negotations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it was my opinion Russia always saw the Dnieper as a “natural” border

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m glad the war is almost over and that’s the most important part.

bookmarking this

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

it was my opinion Russia always saw the Dnieper as a “natural” border

Weird that they spent so much time fighting for territory on the wrong side of it then. And annexing it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why do you think that is weird ?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

why do you think that is weird ?

You're suggesting they always planned to fall back to the natural border, but announcing that they annexed the territory they planned to give up would be incredibly stupid, because it calls into question their commitment to all the other territory they annexed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think they wanted to hold Kherson but the attacks simply added up to the point it choked their supply lines. That said, it didn’t seem they had a good response to those attacks.

The annexation was 6 weeks ago, it very well may have been they thought they could hold it and then it just wasn’t possible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

You're suggesting they always planned to fall back to the natural border, but announcing that they annexed the territory they planned to give up would be incredibly stupid, because it calls into question their commitment to all the other territory they annexed.

oh I’ll have to look at a map again I’m probably confused

sorry

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jose Mengelez posted:

it sure does seem like russia's sucking incredible amounts of rear end right now.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah there is no way that russia intended all along to give up the major city in an oblast they annexed lol, this is a big dub for ukraine

hope the war ends soon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you are right doctor kool aids

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FWIW Russia should have viewed the Dnieper as a natural boundary once it became clear that they were having to settle for a lot less than they initially planned, so this decision should have been made a long time ago. You weren't wrong that it would be the smart thing to do, Russia just didn't do it.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i dont care who wins i just want the war to end and people to stop dying.

I also want this…and the more victories Ukraine racks up the less likely it is

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

if your goal is to kill all the nazis and you only kill some of them , I would not say that is a failure.

The goal was never really to kill Nazis, op.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Majorian posted:

hmm I disagree but that’s ok. war is a complicated thing

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If Russia thinks that it can't hold Kherson, even with all the extra troops that they've called up, the military situation must be a lot grimmer than they've admitted to. Like other posters have said, I can't believe they'd casually abandon the city, after expending so much time and effort to capture it in the 1st place. Is this them settling into easily defensible positions for the winter and trying to wait the Ukrainians out?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

FWIW Russia should have viewed the Dnieper as a natural boundary once it became clear that they were having to settle for a lot less than they initially planned, so this decision should have been made a long time ago. You weren't wrong that it would be the smart thing to do, Russia just didn't do it.

Are they going to settle though? Or are they going to do another dumbass offensive once they find coats for all the conscripts?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
yeah anyone who thinks this war wasn’t between two rightwing reactionary countries is legitimately fooling themselves, although the ukranian embrace of nazi symbology was thoroughly disgusting.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

hmm I disagree but that’s ok. war is a complicated thing

Nah, you're just wrong.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Majorian posted:

what was the goal in your opinion?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

its a war between two lovely capitalist forces with ukraine being the punching bag

that nazis are getting owned on both sides is the only good thing

i hope the war ends soon before this drags out to be another afghanistan

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just looked at Russia Today and in the article there they're basically admitting that they were in a precarious position in Kherson and didn't want to risk their forces on the right bank getting completely cut off.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

what was the goal in your opinion?

Regime change in Kyiv, annex some or all of the Donbas, keep Ukraine out of NATO and the EU.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

that nazis are getting owned on both sides is the only good thing

I wouldn't bet on that either, this war will be a great recruitment tool for nazis everywhere in the longer term

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

genericnick posted:

Are they going to settle though? Or are they going to do another dumbass offensive once they find coats for all the conscripts?

They should, and Russia finding some way to stabilize a line and signal that they aren't interested in further expansion is probably the only way this thing ends in the foreseeable future since countries that supported Ukraine's national defense might get tired of funding a war of perpetual reconquest that seems to have stagnated, but Russia's made a lot of bad decisions so I don't know if they'll try to go for the throat again. Or if they'll demonstrate an ability to stabilize the line for that matter.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

speng31b posted:

I wouldn't bet on that either, this war will be a great recruitment tool for nazis everywhere in the longer term

true thats other flip side of them getting whacked in the war

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Majorian posted:

Regime change in Kyiv, annex some or all of the Donbas, keep Ukraine out of NATO and the EU.

I really took "de-nazification" as a euphemism for regime change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Yes 70 thousand casualties to gain military control of the Donbas and some land near Kherson is a victory (?)