Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been out of work for a year for family reasons, but I used to be a waiter/bartender. However, I never had formal training, so while my soft skills are great, my technical ability is fairly bad.

If I'm applying to a restaurant or bar, how do I depict myself well without lying?

If you present professional, speak well (clearly and with no slang or bad grammar), and seem otherwise "normal" there are plenty of restaurants that would be more than happy to give you a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tuyop posted:

Does anyone remember that zip line of death that some goons who were running a summer camp made? I need it in my life again.

https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1007537790177837056

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey now, they never sent any kids, just sand bags that presumably exploded into a thick mist.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

tuyop posted:

Does anyone remember that zip line of death that some goons who were running a summer camp made? I need it in my life again.

Request it in the Goon Sagas thread and someone can give you more details and the original thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006712

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's the zipline thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3281586

I found it by searching "zipline" in the handy thread search box in the top left corner astral added to threads.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's the zipline thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3281586

I found it by searching "zipline" in the handy thread search box in the top left corner astral added to threads.

Like in the stupid questions thread? Didn’t even occur to me, thanks!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I found out last night there's a water leak in my apartment building's basement, right above my storage locker. Some of my stuff has been completely waterlogged and dirt/mould (?) covered.

These are old mementos that have a lot of sentimental value even if they're badly damaged, and I'd like to hang on to them. So

1: any ideas on how to dry them in a tiny apartment? My balcony isn't really an option since it's raining a lot lately. I don't have enough room to spread them all out to dry either :( . Stack them all on each other, between towels, in my bathroom?

2: is it actually a health hazard to keep stuff that's moldy but dry, thus making this all a bad idea and I just have to throw away stuff?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Find ways to tie strings between stuff, get a pack of clothespins, and hang your stuff up clothesline style. Put a fan on it for extra drying speed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your best bet is to contact a restoration company and see what they’d charge to try to recover it. They have things like freeze dryers to dry out books and ways of treating items that you won’t be able to do yourself. And I wouldn’t store them anywhere until they were dried out. It may not be worth it to have them treated but at least you’ll know.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alnilam posted:

Find ways to tie strings between stuff, get a pack of clothespins, and hang your stuff up clothesline style. Put a fan on it for extra drying speed.

That's not a bad idea. I've got a ladder down there, maybe I could buy another one, string a line between them, put down towels between them for the drips, and just put up with some loss of space for a few days...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Your best bet is to contact a restoration company and see what they’d charge to try to recover it. They have things like freeze dryers to dry out books and ways of treating items that you won’t be able to do yourself. And I wouldn’t store them anywhere until they were dried out. It may not be worth it to have them treated but at least you’ll know.

That's also a really good idea. Thanks!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hyperlynx posted:

I found out last night there's a water leak in my apartment building's basement, right above my storage locker. Some of my stuff has been completely waterlogged and dirt/mould (?) covered.

These are old mementos that have a lot of sentimental value even if they're badly damaged, and I'd like to hang on to them. So

1: any ideas on how to dry them in a tiny apartment? My balcony isn't really an option since it's raining a lot lately. I don't have enough room to spread them all out to dry either :( . Stack them all on each other, between towels, in my bathroom?

2: is it actually a health hazard to keep stuff that's moldy but dry, thus making this all a bad idea and I just have to throw away stuff?

You say mementos, but what are we actually talking about?

Plastic, Glass and most metals and jewelry - wipe down with soap and water and let them air dry and they'll probably be OK, plain water and a toothbrush for jewelry

Clothing, stuffed animals or other mostly fabric things - If the stitching is good they can probably survive a trip through the laundry. If it's a bit more threadbare, you might want to look at dry cleaning options. A shelf for a dryer might allow you to dry some things on a low setting, assuming you have access to a clothes dryer

Photographs, books and papers, it might depend on the materials themselves, but if we're talking modern photos and not something from 100 years ago, you might be able to separate them (assuming they were stuck together) and lay them out on baking/cooling racks. To save space, the racks themselves might be stackable.

Depending on how moldy we're talking, it might be unhealthy, but some of that is going to come down to your own personal limits (or those of your SO). Personally I have a really low tolerance for mold, so I would toss them if I could not salvage them.

While it's not a great alternative, if you have renter's insurance, this is the kind of thing that IIRC would be covered (as it is not flood damage)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Badger of Basra posted:

Was a runway in the fashion sense or a runway in the aviation sense the first thing to be called a “runway”?

I think that to address the spirit of the question, they developed basically simultaneously with no input from the other.

In 1922, we have aircraft runways identifiable in their modern form.

https://books.google.com/books?id=4tFLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA249#v=onepage

In 1917 and perhaps a little earlier, a runway is used in the context of aviation as a ramp used to take seaplanes out of the water.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Gn49AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA12-PA21#v=onepage

In‐between there’s talk about having grass airfields with a clear “runway”, but they don’t mean it as a fixed, marked strip on the ground.

The A-B-C of Aviation, 1918 posted:

As soon as you feel sure that the power-plant is functioning properly and that your controls are in a good condition, you should taxi to a smooth level spot, with hard, dry ground or short grass that will provide a runway of several hundred yards in teh direciton the wind is blowing. Avoid soft or sandy ground or spaces having hummocks or long grass.”

You can take it all the way back to at least 1912 in the context of catapult‐assisted aircraft takeoff

Fashion definitely knows what runways are in 1915.

I can’t find an earlier reference immediately, but they use the term casually enough that it likely was not brand new.

You also may well be able to find “runways” earlier for launching gliders off of high places, too.

Like I said, it was basically simultaneous, and aviation clearly wasn’t cribbing from fashion or vice versa. As someone else mentioned, game trails has been described as “runways” decades before. Machinery also used “runways”, e.g. to run cranes along.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 8, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

...drat. Two out of the five or so places I've tried so far have replied "lol nope we've already got too much work from all the flooding" and the others haven't replied (and seem to be mostly "we'll get rid of your flood-wrecked carpet and clean your floors for you").

CzarChasm posted:

You say mementos, but what are we actually talking about?

Books, papers, that sort of thing, that's the real problem. And potentially a whole box full of 90s/2000s video game boxes and the thingies that used to come in those :(

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 8, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

tuyop posted:

Like in the stupid questions thread? Didn’t even occur to me, thanks!

Actually in the sagas thread. I should have been more specific. I just wanted to point out a great feature.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Why is Kanya West considered a genius? I've been vaguely aware of him since Pitchfork told me he was cool but I've never, ever, ever thought anything he produced was at all significant or very good. But boy did the rest of the world have a different reaction. I had an ex boyfriend who thought Kanya West was a genius. A lot of people feel he's a genius. Can someone tell me why this idiot with a bloated ego was ever considered a genius? I know this specifically refers to his music, and as like a PNW white guy, rap generally doesn't speak to me the way it might a lot of other people, but even considering that, there are people who don't like rap and don't like Kanye but still admit the guy is a genius. Why? WHY?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve never been a big fan so somebody else will probably have a better take.

His first albums hit a nerve and were (relatively) radio friendly. He was a relentless self-promoter, somehow moreso than anybody else in an industry that relies on it. The dude probably qualifies as an “auteur”, being multi-talented as a producer and bizarrely, a really good music video director. The invention of hashtag rap is also (self)attributed to him.

FWIW being a rapper and producer is nothing new and I don’t know why folks made such a big deal out of that when folks like MF Doom, J Dilla, Madlib and Alchemist are out there.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Medical question:

Hypothetically, what is 'more immediately lethal'; a severed carotid, or a severed jugular? I would think the carotid is worse because it supplies blood to the brain, but is there a meaningful difference? A friend and I were just talking about the time an NHL goaltender's jugular was accidentally slashed by a player's skate, and IIRC someone said his life was saved by the team medic immediately going out to clamp down on the vein. It got me curious about whether it would have been a different story with the carotid severed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I asked my wife, who is an ER physician, and while this sort of thing coming in on the fun bus would hopefully bypass the ER and go straight to trauma or vascular, she posits maybe the carotid is worse because it has a direct pulse and as you noted is the supply to the brain, but she also notes that if you manage to get one but not the other, that’s also kind of impressive due to their proximity. Either way though it’s a hot mess and “more lethal” isn’t really a metric she has a strong opinion on in this case.

And of course, if you get both, which is maybe more likely than just one or the other, you’re pretty much definitely boned.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

credburn posted:

Why is Kanya West considered a genius? I've been vaguely aware of him since Pitchfork told me he was cool but I've never, ever, ever thought anything he produced was at all significant or very good. But boy did the rest of the world have a different reaction. I had an ex boyfriend who thought Kanya West was a genius. A lot of people feel he's a genius. Can someone tell me why this idiot with a bloated ego was ever considered a genius? I know this specifically refers to his music, and as like a PNW white guy, rap generally doesn't speak to me the way it might a lot of other people, but even considering that, there are people who don't like rap and don't like Kanye but still admit the guy is a genius. Why? WHY?

Do a search and replace of Kanye West with Musk or Trump. Why do people think they are geniuses? Because someone started that rumor. Then add to the fact that these guys managed to con a lot of people out of their money, and things get more interesting. Nobody wants to admit that they were swindled out of their money, because that would be embarrassing. And to be taken in by someone who is dumb is even more shameful. But, if you were outsmarted by a genius, well, that's something else. Yeah, you gave away your money, but he must be really clever to fool you. He's a genius. I didn't get fooled by some idiot, I was outmaneuvered by a genius. Look at him, look at all that success and money. He's so rich, there's no way he cheated or inherited his way to where he is. And he doesn't work hard - hard work is for suckers. Therefore, he must be a genius.

They are charismatic con men with strong social media machines churning away 24/7 to convince you that they are smart, so you feel better about giving them your money, and attention and power. That doesn't make it true.

EDIT: Kanye has some actual talent, but is super broke brained, so I might be slightly unfair to classify him as a straight up con man. But the title of genius doesn't belong to any of them.

Mister Speaker posted:

Medical question:

Hypothetically, what is 'more immediately lethal'; a severed carotid, or a severed jugular? I would think the carotid is worse because it supplies blood to the brain, but is there a meaningful difference? A friend and I were just talking about the time an NHL goaltender's jugular was accidentally slashed by a player's skate, and IIRC someone said his life was saved by the team medic immediately going out to clamp down on the vein. It got me curious about whether it would have been a different story with the carotid severed.

They are effectively the same. One is an artery (moving oxygenated blood toward your brain, away from the heart) and the other is a vein (moving the de-oxygenated blood back to the heart). IANAD, but that's a real simple difference.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 9, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CzarChasm posted:

They are effectively the same. One is an artery (moving oxygenated blood toward your brain, away from the heart) and the other is a vein (moving the de-oxygenated blood back to the heart). IANAD, but that's a real simple difference.

Doesn’t the carotid artery still kill you faster because it immediately interrupts flow to the brain, but with the jugular vein, flow halts slightly more slowly as the pool blood in your system leaks out?

If the coolant hose is severed right before the engine, it’s going to seize faster than if it’s severed at the outlet. :iiaca:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

credburn posted:

Kanye West is a producer first, then whatever other skills he took up. As a producer, one could argue that he is a genius and there is no debate that he is one of the most influential and top producers in hip hop.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

As a producer, one could argue that he is a genius

What did he do as a producer to suggest he's a genius?

Keep in mind I'm not sure what a producer even DOES.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
A producer does a lot of different stuff, they work on the project with the artist and help them create their final product based on their vision and what's going to help them be successful in the industry. It's pretty fair to call Kanye a genius as a producer, but the idea that "genius = super intelligent mastermind of all things" isn't really applicable to the real world, that's more of a MENSA eugenecist IQ tester kinda thing.

You can be really good at making music without actually knowing anything about anything else, basically.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there an easy/non-sketchy way to get an MP3 from a YouTube video?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

https://youtube-dl.org/ - install that locally, then a command like "youtube-dl -x --audio-format mp3 video_URL" will work.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Trapick posted:

https://youtube-dl.org/ - install that locally, then a command like "youtube-dl -x --audio-format mp3 video_URL" will work.
They had some issues a bit back. I think the project has stalled a bit. It was forked and now yt-dlp is being updated regularly. Pretty much the same, but updated.
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

in the context of kanye its generally in reference to beats he has made

ive never been a huge fan of his lyrics, but i do like a lot of his beats and i enjoy a couple of his albums. however i wouldnt say they make him a "genius"

ive been a musician my entire life and i listen to all kinds of music and read all kinds of writing about music, and im pretty sure that 99% of the time when someone calls a musician a "genius" they are just saying they like that musician a lot. the word may have once had some kind of technical definition to it related to iq tests or whatever but in terms of the music world it doesn't really mean anything concrete at all, its just a term used to make one's opinion sound more bold and definitive.

Busy Bee posted:

no debate that he is one of the most influential and top producers in hip hop.

i would say there was a period in time when he was considered one of the top producers in hip hop, but that period of time has very much ended, and that a lot of his public idiocy is him flailing at his loss of relevancy. like before he started being really politically stupid he had a couple albums that were very badly received even by many of his own fans, and i think a lot of what happened since then is his broke brain response to that.

i mean purely in terms of his music production, entirely regardless of his politics and various stupid statements, life of pablo did not go well for him at all and his level of influence took a big hit from that, and donda/donda 2 made things even worse

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 9, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If you don't want to install anything and just want to paste a URL into a website and get a download link, https://yt5s.com/ seems pretty reliable for me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a gui for yt dlp which is nice if you plan on downloading more often.

You can do it on an Android phone with NewPipe or dvd as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I know he’s crazy and a bit of a piece of poo poo, but you wouldn’t refer to Muhammed Ali as Cassius Clay so we need to make sure we refer to Ye via his proper legal name.

Yes, Kanye West legally changed his name to and goes exclusively by Ye now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Smirking_Serpent posted:

use the open source yt-dlp tool with the --extract-audio option.
idk if there are any friendly guis for it though since it is a command line app

e: hella beaten whoops

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know he’s crazy and a bit of a piece of poo poo, but you wouldn’t refer to Muhammed Ali as Cassius Clay so we need to make sure we refer to Ye via his proper legal name.

Yes, Kanye West legally changed his name to and goes exclusively by Ye now.

His mama named him Clay, Ima call him Clay.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

His mama named him Clay, Ima call him Clay.

Yeah, I know you don't mean anything mean by this, but it's a really bad habit. If someone tells you that they prefer to go by another name, then it's pretty disrespectful to just ignore their wishes. It's especially an issue with trans folk, but really refers to any name change. It's basically a way of saying "I know who you are better than you", which is a bad attitude.
The term deadnaming describes this.

Ridicule Ye for his stupid words, not for his name. Same for Caitlyn Jenner or Muhammed Ali.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

BonHair posted:

It's basically a way of saying "I know who you are better than you", which is a bad attitude.

In a June 2018 interview, he said that "ye" was the most commonly used word in the Bible: "In the Bible it means 'you'. So, I'm you. I'm us. It's us. It went from being Kanye, which means the only one, to just Ye."[599][f]

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ras Het posted:

In a June 2018 interview, he said that "ye" was the most commonly used word in the Bible: "In the Bible it means 'you'. So, I'm you. I'm us. It's us. It went from being Kanye, which means the only one, to just Ye."[599][f]

Literally "the Bible was actually addressed to me, personally". I'm okay with mocking him for this incredibly self centered choice now. But I'm still gonna respect his wish.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Ras Het posted:

So it's this

except Smokey is God

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i bought a computer from ebay. everything looked ok at the beginning, no worries whatsoever. it was from a user with a perfect rating, albeit only 16 5-stars. still, among them were other computers and hardware and expensive things.

i get the package monday. it contained the wrong computer. a computer, that when i opened it up, had someone's account logged in. had not been formatted or anything.

i was decently sketched out there. i contacted them via ebay and told them i received the wrong computer. they sent me a return label via my email address, not via ebay. not sure if that matters or anything, but that also seemed weird.

so i returned the computer at fedex today. i did this contingent on them agreeing to overnight the correct computer today as well and show me the label. they agreed. they created the label just fine, even though the city of origin is different than the original (newark, nj vs palo alto). fwiw, fedex has still not received the package yet. only the label was created.

now i get a message from them via ebay that they accidentally pressed 'accept the return'. they want me to cancel that.

what the absolute hell is going on here? is this somehow a scam? never had anything like this happen.

e: well, fedex has now received the package. still no idea what's going on.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 10, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You should definitely not cancel the return unless/until you have the correct thing you bought in your hands.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

What did the Bare Naked Ladies mean when they said “like Harrison Ford I’m getting frantic”?

Is there a reference I’m missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Producer is a songwriter who uses electronic stuff instead of guitars, and often samples other tracks. They tend to make “beats” for rappers, which is to say the music they rap over.

Producer used to mean someone who controls the recording process; like Rick Rubin. Still does mean that too of course.

A genius in this context would be someone who makes a significant number of songs that make people say “wow that sounds REALLY good, and is pretty new and original”