Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

i never finished 2 bcause yobgoblin tricked me into gettin it for free from him nd then bugged me non-stop about how good drugs feel whenever i played it

lmfao

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i never finished 2 bcause yobgoblin tricked me into gettin it for free from him nd then bugged me non-stop about how good drugs feel whenever i played it

lmao

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fungah! posted:

Junkies paw wish lol

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Lmfao

copy
Jul 26, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Junkies paw wish lol

rofl

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Junkies paw wish lol

kek

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Lmao

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fungah! posted:

yeah thats th thing, the stealth kicks rear end and tryin to blink around and use time stop and such to find a path around guards is fuckin cool. both playstyles are really good in different ways, non-lethal you have to dig around the world and find openings and lethal you cn go nuts and blow guys up

Yeah, absolutely! Going in doing a blink-only not-spotted stealth run was a great fun challenge, but messing around murdering all the guards with all the lethal abilities you get is fun too. Dishonored was great all-round, IMO. Both playstyles were fun
The only thing I haven't finished in that series is the 'Death of the Outsider' DLC, I think it's called. Not sure why I never finished it, but I probably just overdosed on Dishonored, as I started it right after two run throughs of D2

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

super mario land 2: six golden coins (100%)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

EmmyOk posted:

Junkies paw wish lol

lmfao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

EmmyOk posted:

Junkies paw wish lol

lmfao

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Nutmeg posted:

is there a hard mode for the dlc like there is in the base game? im wondering if im going to do hard mode on my replay of the whole thing when i try the PC version, or if ill be burned out when i complete it

there is, i think you gotta beat hte dlc to unlock it as usual, and i think then also the fort condor minigame also gets much harder. its prob easier to do hard mode with yuffie with brumal form dodge but i havent tried yet

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think prey really pwned except for the enemies which were boring or annoying to fight and the weapons were all different flavors of boring/lovely feeling.

and then dishonored has amazing weapons and powers that are fun as hell to use but the chaos system is basically adaptive difficulty. the high chaos missions have more and harder enemies but the stealth is easier and there's more side routes lol. low chaos does the same in reverse. it's supposed to mean you have harder combat or harder stealth but what happens is it gets really easy to just run past enemies in low chaos or w.e.

anyway they're both really good i just don't like the combat in prey or the chaos system in dishonored.

----------------

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moral choices systems like that suck in story games because it just means neither path is that narratively satisfying. They may as well ask you which you’re doing at the start because there’s no point unless you go all in on one or the other.

Chaos kind of makes sense as a “not morality it’s just about how scared people are” if you are really murderous. However the ending narration still calls you a great guy if you don’t kill even if the non lethal thing is much more hosed up. Stopping time and sticking dynamite in a woman’s ears is bad, tranquing her so a guy can carry her off to the rape dungeon is basically fine. He’s probably a good guy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

Moral choices systems like that suck in story games because it just means neither path is that narratively satisfying. They may as well ask you which you’re doing at the start because there’s no point unless you go all in on one or the other.

Chaos kind of makes sense as a “not morality it’s just about how scared people are” if you are really murderous. However the ending narration still calls you a great guy if you don’t kill even if the non lethal thing is much more hosed up. Stopping time and sticking dynamite in a woman’s ears is bad, tranquing her so a guy can carry her off to the rape dungeon is basically fine. He’s probably a good guy.

it doesn't really work as a moral choice system or as adaptive difficulty imo. it was neat the first time I noticed the final level is basically completely different for each version though.

----------------

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Prodeus: really good throwback boomer shooter that while pretty easy in the 1st half the difficulty goes up a notch quickly after a certain point which turns it more into a doom eternal clone where you're using your double jump and dash abilities constantly. the guns and the amount of gore kick rear end and the levels are solid start to finish. theres a lot of difficulty options and i did my playthrough on very hard which is one notch below the hardest and it felt still felt balanced. also it has a world map which i loved. playthrough was about 7 hours and definitely worth a try whenever its on sale. gonna dick around with the highest rated community campaign to get more bang for my buck.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah, aside from maybe one or two of the tamer ones at the start (I can't remember... I think one was branded and therefore not allowed to stay in his holy order thing, and wasn't another sent to prison, or something?) the rest of the 'non-lethal' ways of getting rid of targets were extremely hosed up. Especially the one for that lady at the party, which you mentioned.

IMO the 'best' way of doing it would be to kill the targets, but not harm anyone else. Otherwise it's just kinda sadistic, not to mention generally weird that the game praises you for following the non-lethal options. But yeah, you're right about Chaos. It's not a morality thing, it's really just gauging how scared people are of you, plus how many corpses have been left in the street for the rats to feast on (thus worsening the plague)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think you can get low chaos if you only kill the targets and absolutely nobody else. there's a certain amount of leeway, but unfortunately every death counts

----------------

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island:

An event was held in front of a Toys "R" Us in Culver City, California on October 5, 1995 at 3:00 PM to promote the North American release of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. At the event, there was a trailer and a large model Yoshi Egg surrounded by hay. The trailer held a banner with the words "Play It Loud" and stock art of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. The Yoshi Egg held a banner with the word "Nintendo". The event centered around "hatching" the Yoshi Egg. After the hosts interacted with the idle audience, children were lined up and given small, green hammers which they used to break open a designated area at the bottom of the egg. The Yoshi Egg, when breached, yielded stringed paper and a large model of the Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island cartridge. Group photos were then taken of children with the cartridge.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dragon Quest 2: A big step up from the first game. Having a party and encountering groups of monsters made everything a lot less one note. I think I got stuck in the second to last dungeon for more time than my entire playthrough of the first game. That maze section that sends you back to start every time you mess up was really not meant to be played thirty seconds at a time while in the middle of something else.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

i think you can get low chaos if you only kill the targets and absolutely nobody else. there's a certain amount of leeway, but unfortunately every death counts

you can absolutely murk a couple dudes outside of the main targets and still get low chaos. fursonally, i like seeing the chaos system as the city reflecting corvo, like it is a living organism itself and somehow reality warping around your nonsense (the outsider even mentions that you can change things). one of my fav details was at the start, where if youre low chaos, one of the religious guys asks his friends to tearfully kill him cause he has the plague and they can barely do it. in high chaos, he selfishly hides it and his comrades are very unforgiving about it. the city becomes as unkind as you, and i think thats cool

----------------

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ArfJason posted:

you can absolutely murk a couple dudes outside of the main targets and still get low chaos. fursonally, i like seeing the chaos system as the city reflecting corvo, like it is a living organism itself and somehow reality warping around your nonsense (the outsider even mentions that you can change things). one of my fav details was at the start, where if youre low chaos, one of the religious guys asks his friends to tearfully kill him cause he has the plague and they can barely do it. in high chaos, he selfishly hides it and his comrades are very unforgiving about it. the city becomes as unkind as you, and i think thats cool

:hai:

I wish the complexity of the system ramped up in t he sequel, it’s way more boiled down iirc. Dishonored biggest problem is baked into the system, I think: it’s at its best when you try to be as sneaky as possible but improvise when things go off the rails, leading to you maybe having to kill a guy or two or use a bunch of resources, but the games format makes quick saving too natural. My favorite runs are when I don’t load a save ever, but the nature of video games makes this hard to make players do it. I think deathloop tried to circumvent this issue but it was make by arkanes jv team so

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Yeah. The way I play is trying to be stealthy and non-lethal as much as possible but if poo poo hits the fan I'll start killing. And I still get low chaos

Dishonored 2 added non-lethal takedowns during combat which is cool but also kind of saps the tension when you don't have to go lethal if you get discovered

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah the idea is sick it's just the execution is kinda bad for both games. but the core combat and stealth and level design is so good. to be clear they're both 9s in my book. dlc in 1 might be a 10.

----------------

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Dishonored 1 CGI trailer is like the only instance where everything you see can be done in-game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah the idea is sick it's just the execution is kinda bad for both games. but the core combat and stealth and level design is so good. to be clear they're both 9s in my book. dlc in 1 might be a 10.

DH1 DLC is so drat good

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Dishonored 1 CGI trailer is like the only instance where everything you see can be done in-game

uhhh skyrim much?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Only played the first daud dlc. Its got some of the best level design in the entire game and it also gave us the absolute dumbest name for a character, Billie Lurk.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Billie Lurk is a death stranding character that doesn't like to post

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Only played the first daud dlc. Its got some of the best level design in the entire game and it also gave us the absolute dumbest name for a character, Billie Lurk.

Good news you get to play as her in Dishonored: Death of the Outsider available now on PC, PS4 and Xbox One/Series

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
this is my gang, Billie Lurk, Johnny Sneak and Mark Nonlethaltakedown

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ArfJason posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

ArfJason posted:

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

ArfJason posted:

Lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArfJason posted:

----------------

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’ve only played the start of 2 but it was cool. Robin Lord Taylor is good but I still prefer the old outsider tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Arrhythmia posted:

Billie Lurk is a death stranding character that doesn't like to post

lol