Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

If I'm reading it correctly, I may be able to then turn those points into other ammo types including mini nukes. I assume those are used in nuke mines, so storing useless ammo as weightless points seems like a good idea. Or at least, not dissimilar to what I'm already doing with bulk legendary items.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Did The Pitt expedition in F76 for the first time, I guess it's alright and More Stuff To Do but there's nothing there rewardwise that really makes me excited to grind out stamps for them. Seems it would be better in a group because at least it would be much faster to take out the enemies and find the canisters to blow up.

After not playing this for some months it really hits how annoying the scrip ecomomy is. The game tosses legendaries at you that you are unable to exchange after a while, forcing you to stockpile, give away or sell your extras for caps. I feel like it actually encourages me to play less each day.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Trying to max out all the F4 companions and I hate Strong so much. He doesn't like anything and dislikes everything. Should just see if there is a console command. The only really repeatable action he likes is cannibalism but that's a terrible option on survival mode.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I just hang out with Cait and mcready because they both seem to like stealing everything that isn't nailed down.

They get annoyed when I actually try to help people though??

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dogmeat is the best companion.

Dogmeat does not care about what you do, say or steal.

Dogmeat does not talk.

Dogmeat is short so even if he does run right up to an enemy you can shoot over him.

Dogmeat is short so you can also jump over him is he blocks a door.

Dogmeat is a good boy.

Dogmeat loves to play fetch.

Dogmeat is the bestest boy and bestest companion.

In fact if there was a mod to have two doggos I would totally install it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dogmeat doesn't even count as a companion, so you can use him with Lone Wanderer.

Strong likes helping people, but also likes being a dick in conversations. I know he got locked up by the other Super Mutants for trying to find "the milk of human kindness", but it would have been funnier if the whole tower of Super Mutants was quoting Macbeth while they shoot at you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

Dogmeat doesn't even count as a companion, so you can use him with Lone Wanderer.

Strong likes helping people, but also likes being a dick in conversations. I know he got locked up by the other Super Mutants for trying to find "the milk of human kindness", but it would have been funnier if the whole tower of Super Mutants was quoting Macbeth while they shoot at you.

It's a shame Strong doesn't have a completed questline like most? all? of the other companions do. FIND THAT MILK BOY.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

After watching Cait rip through like 2k 5mm rounds with the minigun in like 2 quests and constantly blowing stealth maybe it's better to go it alone

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When I did my no-death Survival let's play, Danse and Dogmeat conspired to kill me by blocking a hallway when I tried to retreat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Dogmeat is a little cinderblock wall with legs :smugdog:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Trying to max out all the F4 companions and I hate Strong so much. He doesn't like anything and dislikes everything. Should just see if there is a console command. The only really repeatable action he likes is cannibalism but that's a terrible option on survival mode.

check how much your companion likes you by clicking on them in the console and typing "getav ca_ affinity" (no quotes)

after that use "setav ca_affinity ###" and change the ### to 250, 500, 750 and finally 1000. If the companion for example is at 389 affinity, you can skip directly to 500. Do a thing the companion likes between each setav to trigger their unique affinity level dialogue dialogue.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I ended up looking how to do that earlier and just doing that. Thanks though. Trying to max out every companion is dumb and not really how the game was designed but oh well. It’s allowing me to see some dialogue and reactions I don’t normally see at least.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

What's the best way to start picking up crafting plans in Fallout 76? All the vendors I've encountered at the stations seem to have furniture plans and a lot of mods, but not a lot of base weapon and armor types. Is there a type of mission I need to run to pick these up, or is it a matter of just coming across them in the wastes?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

NofrikinfuN posted:

What's the best way to start picking up crafting plans in Fallout 76? All the vendors I've encountered at the stations seem to have furniture plans and a lot of mods, but not a lot of base weapon and armor types. Is there a type of mission I need to run to pick these up, or is it a matter of just coming across them in the wastes?

Whitesprings has all the weapons you can buy..generally you will get them by scrapping the guns after picking them up except for a few cases.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Pretty much every event you participate in will also reward you with plans. An easy way to snag some plans while also getting event rewards is to claim a workshop, (where you'll get rewarded a plan) . Defend the workshop a few minutes later when the event pops, get another plan as part of that reward.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

NofrikinfuN posted:

In addition to what other people suggested, check vending machines in player camps! Many people have weapon and armor plans for sale; I always have any useful plans for equipment crafting I find for sale in my camp at rock-bottom prices for new players.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Whitesprings has all the weapons you can buy..generally you will get them by scrapping the guns after picking them up except for a few cases.

Yeah, I've probably scrapped over a hundred guns and armor pieces and picked up all sorts of mods, but can't craft the base items. Thanks for the tip on Whitesprings. Maybe I should do the mission I have on hold there.

Wee Bairns posted:

Pretty much every event you participate in will also reward you with plans. An easy way to snag some plans while also getting event rewards is to claim a workshop, (where you'll get rewarded a plan) . Defend the workshop a few minutes later when the event pops, get another plan as part of that reward.

Yeah, I finally picked up the racetrack workshop after being scared off by the pvp warning. Maybe I will try some of the more difficult workshops later. Thanks.

e:

Morality_Police posted:

In addition to what other people suggested, check vending machines in player camps! Many people have weapon and armor plans for sale; I always have any useful plans for equipment crafting I find for sale in my camp at rock-bottom prices for new players.

Yeah, the trick or treating event got me to check out a few camps. No luck yet, but it's good to know it's an option. Thanks.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 9, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Morality_Police posted:

I dump all my known plans for 1 cap into my vendors and it makes me happy when people stock up.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

I dump all my known plans for 1 cap into my vendors and it makes me happy when people stock up.

Curious, your vendors only exist in world while you are actively logged on, right? I just noticed yesterday I can build a vendor and caps are in higher demand than supply for me at the moment.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Yeah, your vendor is tied to your camp, which is only in-world when you are, so it disappears if you log off or switch servers. That being said, you don't have to be there for sales, and I always enjoy hearing the cash register sound effect that plays when I make a sale when I'm off being a murderhobo.

I keep my vending machine fully loaded, with a mix of cheap plans and ammo for levelers with expensive cosmetic clothing and fancy camp decorations for the big spenders, and I reliably have more caps than I know what to do with. I'm level 168, for perspective, and not a hardcore player at all.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

NofrikinfuN posted:

Curious, your vendors only exist in world while you are actively logged on, right? I just noticed yesterday I can build a vendor and caps are in higher demand than supply for me at the moment.

Correct, only when you're on a server and playing and not wanted (wanted status hides your camp from everyone else).

I put all my plans in at 25 caps. I like when people hit me up, but I get annoyed at the people buying like, 5 ultracite armor plans to resell them for full price (sit in their machine). But it gets them off my inventory so I don't really care.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Finally joined the Fallout 76 Bloodied crew. What's the best portable way to get radded up if needed? I've been using a toxic waste barrel in my CAMP.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Roman posted:

Finally joined the Fallout 76 Bloodied crew. What's the best portable way to get radded up if needed? I've been using a toxic waste barrel in my CAMP.

Glowing blood. Stock up in rad rumble. Alternatively carry a radiation gun.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Roman posted:

West-Tek, collect Toxic Goo from the green puddles.

Or use a Gamma Gun. Shoot at your feet, hope you didn't go nuts. ;)

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
standing in a puddle and drinking water very quickly works too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Advanced the minutemen stuff in fo4 and man, they actually really suck as a faction. I get there needs to be people trying to restore the wasteland but they're not interesting at all so far. Got some artillery I think I'll never use.

Dipped into the dlcs though, far harbor (fahaba?) Was fun, the fog not as bad as I thought it would be and acadia made me not like the railroad as much when they mentioned how messed up it is that they wipe all the synths memories.

Starting the nuka world stuff and I can already tell with 5 parks and 3 gangs that one of them is going to be very unhappy, probably the pack because the I'M AN ALPHA, BRO energy is annoying and if they want land they should go take it.

The disciples are messed up, but outside of dixie seem like they're similar to old raiders, just violent murder machines unlike the fo4 raiders it seems they tried to make regret their actions or frame them as trying to survive.

It's also nice that everyone doesn't react to the overboss rocking up and grabbing everything with no sneaking.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ilmucche posted:

Advanced the minutemen stuff in fo4 and man, they actually really suck as a faction. I get there needs to be people trying to restore the wasteland but they're not interesting at all so far. Got some artillery I think I'll never use.

Dipped into the dlcs though, far harbor (fahaba?) Was fun, the fog not as bad as I thought it would be and acadia made me not like the railroad as much when they mentioned how messed up it is that they wipe all the synths memories.

Starting the nuka world stuff and I can already tell with 5 parks and 3 gangs that one of them is going to be very unhappy, probably the pack because the I'M AN ALPHA, BRO energy is annoying and if they want land they should go take it.

The disciples are messed up, but outside of dixie seem like they're similar to old raiders, just violent murder machines unlike the fo4 raiders it seems they tried to make regret their actions or frame them as trying to survive.

It's also nice that everyone doesn't react to the overboss rocking up and grabbing everything with no sneaking.

Just alpha right back at the Pack leader. Also FYI if Preston is holding anything it's going to be gone forever if you start putting raider outposts in the Commonwealth.

NukaWorld was a neat idea for a DLC, but it shits the bed pretty hard towards the end when it tries to gamify Settlements.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I can put raider settlements in the commonwealth? Can I build a Raider empire to wipe the brotherhood off the map??

Preston has never made the cut as a follower. I had Piper for a while but switched to macready and now cait because they don't care if I steal everything.

The mayor guy seems like he'd be a pretty chill companion, though always asking for extra caps as rewards and stealing would probably be negative

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ilmucche posted:

I can put raider settlements in the commonwealth? Can I build a Raider empire to wipe the brotherhood off the map??

Preston has never made the cut as a follower. I had Piper for a while but switched to macready and now cait because they don't care if I steal everything.

The mayor guy seems like he'd be a pretty chill companion, though always asking for extra caps as rewards and stealing would probably be negative

Yes, but you'll have to have *regular* settlements with enough resources to provide both themselves and the raiders with food and water.

Also once a settlement is chosen to pay tribute to your raiders, building and any customization whatsoever is locked.

Like everything else in Fallout 4, it wasn't entirely thought out and what did get implemented is janky as all hell.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Father Wendigo posted:

Just alpha right back at the Pack leader. Also FYI if Preston is holding anything it's going to be gone forever if you start putting raider outposts in the Commonwealth.

NukaWorld was a neat idea for a DLC, but it shits the bed pretty hard towards the end when it tries to gamify Settlements.

as a concept, Sim Settlements Conqueror did this idea so much better by just encouraging you to murder Preston and his group right at the beginning and tell the entire main quest to eat poo poo.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I normally rock with the mod that just skips setting up raider settlements they are so terrible. For instance there is no way to turn off recruiting for them like you can a normal settlement. They hate doing any jobs and get unhappy if they have to do so but constantly get more raiders and will run out of food unless the farm supplying them is well built up. The story of the dlc is left unchanged it just skips the settlement part. Preston also doesn't get mad at you but honestly who cares anyway the entire minute men faction sucks rear end. I personally hate settlements in general so your mileage may vary.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yeah, I finally picked up the racetrack workshop after being scared off by the pvp warning. Maybe I will try some of the more difficult workshops later. Thanks.

I've been playing a long time and I've only ever been attacked at a workshop twice. The playerbase of 76 is unusually nice.

Roman posted:

I usually use spoiled food. It gives 15 rads per. And I naturally end up with loads of it anyways.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I've recently become a big fan of FO4 artillery after learning that the range is huge (5 map squares) and that every settlement in range fires a volley. It's made clearing out some of the shittier towns like Quincy and open world super mutant camps much easier.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

All this FO4 talk has me thinking about something I wanted to try but never did - I love building settlements, but hate settlers, for the most part. You could absolutely do a run with 0 human settlers, and just build a robot for each settlement to act as a supply runner to connect their shared storage capacity, right?

Edit: as long as you don't build a recruitment beacon, no humans should ever show up, right? I know a few settlements start with one or two people, but I could just send them all to sanctuary to live in the ruins with Preston and his merry band of idiots, so long as I don't have more people turning up of their own volition.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some settlement functions require settlers, though. Like the caravans that connect inventories, iirc.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Rinkles posted:

Some settlement functions require settlers, though. Like the caravans that connect inventories, iirc.

Yeah, that's the exact thing I'm wondering. If I make robot settlers with the Machinist DLC, can they act as caravans? Basically, I want a run with just me and my various robot minions, no settlers, no human companions. Dogmeat is cool though, he can hang with me and my robots.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think you actually can

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rinkles posted:

Mods can change that. Iirc Horizon can do it with placed equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Morality_Police posted:

Yeah, that's the exact thing I'm wondering. If I make robot settlers with the Machinist DLC, can they act as caravans? Basically, I want a run with just me and my various robot minions, no settlers, no human companions. Dogmeat is cool though, he can hang with me and my robots.

Yes. I always use them for my caravans because it gives you wandering friendly murderbots everywhere.