Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

yea but the lighting is currently *really* bad and needs fixing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

If I had to guess I'd say polish and some different cosmetics. But they have a good amount of QoL building stuff they've already talked about like ceiling belts etc.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I would say they are adding ray tracing, with the reflections and lights. Could look amazing, can be terrible, we'll see...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

As long as they make it so I can have more than 3 lights in view without it turning into a slide show i'd be happy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Dunno-Lars posted:

I would say they are adding ray tracing, with the reflections and lights. Could look amazing, can be terrible, we'll see...
Hmm, there's DXR in UE4? On the off-chance that they go with raytracing, I sure as gently caress hope that they finally add DLSS/FSR support. So far they're been kicking and screaming about this.

Forcing Satisfactory to render at 1440p instead of native 4K drops the power usage on my 3080 considerably:

I'd figure getting back to 4K via DLSS would only raise this a little from the red baseline.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 9, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Going by dev logs, the reluctance to add DLSS has mostly been on account of the game being CPU/RAM limited rather than GPU. You eventually get slowdown because all the machines/belts are a lot of information to keep track of and the CPU starts to struggle under the load as you expand. Getting the GPU to render everything on screen hasn't been the issue so adding DLSS/FSR wouldn't really help much. If they actually make the switch to UE5 and add some more fancy graphics settings it might be more worth their time but it sounds like a lot of effort and they seem hesitant to work on anything that doesn't move the game closer to a 1.0 release at this point.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 9, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Move to UE5 :getin:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeh, but I showed you the power draw difference, in combination with the amount of hours long-term players tend to play this game, it'd still be a win. And ostensibly better antialiasing than pure TAA.

priznat posted:

Move to UE5 :getin:
I wish for that, too. Static world geometry has really terrible LODs and transitions between them. It gets really noticeable once mobility goes up (ziplines, trains, hoverpacks). Nanite could potentially fix that. But unless they have a sequel in mind, to continue using the engine, or there's still lots of ongoing sales, I figure it won't happen.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm, there's DXR in UE4?

Since well before UE5 was announced. Ghost runner and Amid Evil both take advantage of it

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I have no idea of the amount of work that would be needed to transition to UE5 but it seems like a real wayward path to start on now if they want to get 1.0 out in 2023

Maybe they can save it as a marquee feature for a DLC or something but on the face of it it seems like a huge distraction from their primary goal

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah I was absolutely joking about UE5, that would be for Satisfactory 2.0 :haw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Back in the UE3-UE4 transition it wasn't something that any in-progress game could do. Maybe 4 to 5 is much easier, but changing over to completely different tech inside UE5 like Nanite is almost certainly not.

Anyways, whatever the big cube-frame building is would seem to be the actual teaser, rather than the lights or whatnot.

CainFortea posted:

As long as they make it so I can have more than 3 lights in view without it turning into a slide show i'd be happy.

If your GPU can't handle more than 3 lights at the same time without being a slideshow, I don't think RT or other future-tech is gonna be any better. The lights they're using are the cheapest traditional dynamic light you can get.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Does UE5 actually work well with large geometry changes? I thought Nanite was mostly for static but complex scenes

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Klyith posted:

If your GPU can't handle more than 3 lights at the same time without being a slideshow, I don't think RT or other future-tech is gonna be any better. The lights they're using are the cheapest traditional dynamic light you can get.

Yea, i'm sure it's the 3080's fault and not the early access game that isn't fully optimized.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

CainFortea posted:

Yea, i'm sure it's the 3080's fault and not the early access game that isn't fully optimized.

Sounds like something's fucky. I played earlier builds on an ancient card fine, and my 3070 runs it smooth as butter even in my hellfactory

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

ymgve posted:

Does UE5 actually work well with large geometry changes? I thought Nanite was mostly for static but complex scenes

As long as it is not skeletal or transparent, you can spawn, spin, rotate, slide around nanite to your hearts content. The cars in the matrix demo were multiple nanite meshes glued to a triangle-less skeletal mesh until you crashed then it got swapped out

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

As an additional anecdote, I have issues with lights too. Not terrible but a noticeable fps drop. Feels like I'm moving in molasses. Thousands of machines, tens of thousands of foundations, but put 10 lights in the same room and it starts to churn a bit - not unplayably so, and not enough to have me stop decorating my factory with lights. I have a 2080.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

As an additional anecdote, I have issues with lights too. Not terrible but a noticeable fps drop. Feels like I'm moving in molasses. Thousands of machines, tens of thousands of foundations, but put 10 lights in the same room and it starts to churn a bit - not unplayably so, and not enough to have me stop decorating my factory with lights. I have a 2080.

I'm using an 8 year old GTX 970 and have never had framerate problems.

For another anecdote, I used to work for a major hard drive manufacturer. One of our drives had a conflict with motherboards running certain northbridge (or maybe southbridge....this was over 20 years ago) chips. It was tough to figure out if it was the HDD or the motherboard that caused the problem, but ended up being the hard drive. The point is, you can't immediately point the finger at the coding because you have a 30xx video card, but you also can't immediately point the finger at the video card. Could be a problem on either side.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tamba posted:

Yes. You don't need a perfectly sized factory.
You could clear the game (very slowly) with a single machine for each item.

The best advice I can give you is: Build enough to consume the resources wherever you're building and if that turns out to be too slow, make another factory somewhere else :shrug:

That's way too many machines. Set an assembler to craft all of the gears you need for the rest of the run, and then switch it to craft all of the wire you need for the rest of the run, etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Another question is what quality settings you use for lights. I have a RX5700 and when I have the light quality set to max it does produce some framerate drop. Lowering the quality fixes that, but I leave it at ultra and just spend most of the night admiring the stuff I've built.

You may want to say something like "I have a 3080, it shouldn't have FPS drop even with ultra settings". But I think some of this type of thing is non-linear; 3 lights is more than 3 times the work when they overlap. Try spreading your lights out a bit -- so with ceiling lights, put them every other foundation rather than in a continuous row.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

What does my conveyer belt system configuration say about me as a person?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
New Let's Game It Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV6kWL5WU78

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Has anyone played Astro colony? Is there a generic automation / factory thread we can post about for it? Wondering if I should pull the trigger

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

teacup posted:

Has anyone played Astro colony? Is there a generic automation / factory thread we can post about for it? Wondering if I should pull the trigger

The Management games thread is probably your best bet
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Interesting, but rather tame compared to his earlier stuff. I was expecting him to make a 100 platform station and just go through the mountains... Maybe a part 2

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
the biggest tragedy is that he couldn't actually unload the crashed traincar because if he could he 100% would've set up an automated train crash delivery service

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pigbuster posted:

the biggest tragedy is that he couldn't actually unload the crashed traincar because if he could he 100% would've set up an automated train crash delivery service

Other tragedy is that he could have kept going with his tractors on bounce pads idea. I've done basically the same thing on a large scale and vehicle ghosting means you can get it working 100% reliably.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Bounce pad system with the square wheel Tesla trucks

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Bounce pad system with the square wheel Tesla trucks

Quoting myself from a few pages back

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Didn't really have any good ideas for what to build when update 7 comes out but I've made an important discovery

They have an inventory slot of 1, like an even more useless factory cart because you have to work in fuel logistics as well. After a bit of testing...

Going to build a nuclear plant with this bullshit somehow. The all-factory cart save was already a nightmare, this should be significantly worse.

Already working on this. It's the worst possible way of transporting items but I think I might be able to make it work.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You should be able to eject resources from a belt and pour them onto a bouncepad. Then build a hopper to receive them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

You should be able to eject resources from a belt and pour them onto a bouncepad. Then build a hopper to receive them.

Remove drones from the game, make it so you can launch resources out of hypertube launchers.

This was just recommended to me on Youtube, I guess that cube structure from the promo really is something important rather than just decorative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KBQyjy-a6g

The blueprinting box idea seems possible. They don't want people copy+pasting entire factories but maybe there's a limited system where whatever you can fit in the box can be saved as a blueprint. Would cut down on all the splitter > machine > merger building even if that's kind of limited.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Tamba posted:

The Management games thread is probably your best bet
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084

Thank you!

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
is there a way to locate water sources? I just unlocked coal power and need some water, but there doesn't seem to be any near my base.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

samcarsten posted:

is there a way to locate water sources? I just unlocked coal power and need some water, but there doesn't seem to be any near my base.

Any lake or pond is a water source if you use a water extractor which is unlocked with coal power. You don't need to use a water node.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

samcarsten posted:

Any water deep enough to swim is deep enough for a water extractor. So if you happen to be somewhere with rivers / streams, look for the lakes instead.

Alternately, looking at an online map.
mild spoilers: https://satisfactory.fandom.com/wiki/Map
major spoilers: https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Coffee Stain has a video up at 8am PST (less than 13h from now) explaining whatever their last preview video was about.

e:fb

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 11, 2022

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Remove drones from the game, make it so you can launch resources out of hypertube launchers.

This was just recommended to me on Youtube, I guess that cube structure from the promo really is something important rather than just decorative:

The blueprinting box idea seems possible. They don't want people copy+pasting entire factories but maybe there's a limited system where whatever you can fit in the box can be saved as a blueprint. Would cut down on all the splitter > machine > merger building even if that's kind of limited.

That’s actually loving genius. Whatever you can fit in this space you can duplicate. It creates an incentive to be creative and refine your design within a structure.

It’s like the concept behind the original 140 character limit or 4 seconds for twitter/vine comedy. You have to refine your idea to work within the space provided.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

teacup posted:

I played it a bit because I'm sucker for "Spaaaaace!" and um...

It's smooth, clean, reliable and I think I was getting to where I could really take off. However it feels there's a lot of content not in there yet. Especially on the research tree which seemed to be pretty cheap and bare bones compared to what was eventually promised. Also the game just does not trust the player to have a brain: there's no way to disable A-Bot, the floating tutorial permanently. You can put him to sleep but the moment you cycle through your tutorials or fulfill a task the hovering 3D Son-Of-Clippy wakes up and follows you. You cannot take apart/edit your basic starter platform either, you can only build off of it.

Controls are a bit weird at first but once you fiddle with them they actually end up...pretty responsive and they make a weird sense so I'll give them props for that.

It just feels sterile at the moment. Give it some time on the backburner to see if it becomes something. Or try it out but be aware it really does feel like something of a beta test right now with the shortened tech tree.

EDIT: A big thing about Astro Colony is that it really feels it has the focus on building/asthetics for later stuff that Satisfactory does. If you want a factory that crunches numbers, that's Factorio/DSP territory. If you want a factory or space barge that looks pretty, then Astro Colony feels like it has a lot of that focus.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 11, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

TK-42-1 posted:

That’s actually loving genius. Whatever you can fit in this space you can duplicate. It creates an incentive to be creative and refine your design within a structure.

It’s like the concept behind the original 140 character limit or 4 seconds for twitter/vine comedy. You have to refine your idea to work within the space provided.

this would help the game tremendously. also sharecodes for blueprints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm not the world's #1 (or #200000) expert on factory games, but I guess I took for granted how Satisfactory and Factorio "just worked" out of the box. Sure there were weird things and late game limitations but I could connect a thing to a thing and be happy with the automation. I figured this was a solved problem.

Then I played DSP. Something something splitters something something conveyors don't work between machines something something uninstall. Guessing I just lucked into the good ones first.