Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Been seeing this game a bunch lately. It seems kinda cool, but the first couple pages of the thread talk about how terrible the grind was

Is it relatively free to play friendly? I definitely don't need more games to toss a bunch of money into, but a lot of the ideas and execution seem really neat. I presume I can play on PC and mobile on the same account?

If I like the game is there a starter pack or anything that should be picked up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Been seeing this game a bunch lately. It seems kinda cool, but the first couple pages of the thread talk about how terrible the grind was

Is it relatively free to play friendly? I definitely don't need more games to toss a bunch of money into, but a lot of the ideas and execution seem really neat. I presume I can play on PC and mobile on the same account?

If I like the game is there a starter pack or anything that should be picked up?

I've paid $0, plan on never paying anything and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. You can play on PC and mobile with the same account, but I think you have to set it up on mobile first and link to Steam after, at least that's what I read from complaints in the first couple of days, I couldn't tell you what the exact issue was because I managed to avoid it.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
I think its very free to play friendly, my friend hasn't put a dime in (I bought the 3 buck starter pack and the Spiderman season pass for 10 bucks) and I'm CL 496 to his 438 and we started at the same time.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
I bought the battle passes and the welcome bundle and completed my collection in about 5 months of dailies. If you spend money, get those first. I’m never going to buy gold, personally.

I enjoy deck building so the grind was fun for me - I enjoyed getting a card and trying to make it work, or doing a substitution for a meta deck where I’m missing some support cards. YMMV.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Outside of the seasonal pass (which gives you one pool 3 card and not always a strong one) you get almost nothing for paying. Spending $5 gets you less than one extra day of f2p progression.

The "terrible grind" is exclusive to pool 3 in any case but everyone who logs in daily for 7 months owns every card in the game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's funny how the game actually doesn't make you grind because I end up playing a lot when there are no active challenges anyway just because it's fun instead of trying to grind for credits to up my collection level.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

WarEternal posted:

I've paid $0, plan on never paying anything and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. You can play on PC and mobile with the same account, but I think you have to set it up on mobile first and link to Steam after, at least that's what I read from complaints in the first couple of days, I couldn't tell you what the exact issue was because I managed to avoid it.

I imagine even if you're happy playing on PC, you still might check the inbox and news section on mobile once a week. Right now you can still claim 50 credits and a Hulk variant (expires next Monday).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

priznat posted:

:owned: (I am just jealous of hobgoblin havers as that seems like such a dickish move, I would do it a lot lmao)

I just opened him and he's a ton of fun. But there's a lot of caveats, I'm learning! Destroy decks can just eat him up for example.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I have seen the light on the Lizard card and am really enjoying playing him on the new area.

I feel like I have a pretty basic deck but it's pretty easy to play it in several combinations and spit out a ton of points. I feel like it tends to force the other player to try and match what I'm doing. Putting Namor or Lizard on an area and watching them try to build on that while I'm focusing on the other two areas has been fun.

Ant Man
Hawkeye
Nightcrawler
Angela
Lizard
Punisher
Cap
Kazar
Namor
Klaw
Spider Woman
Onslaught

Enchantress can nerf this pretty easy but I haven't seen many people use it surprisingly. Might swap Hawkeye out but I haven't just for lack of something I like better

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chard posted:

i find the emote system surprisingly fun and effective. so far no one's even tried to be toxic at me, or if they were it wasn't effective *deadpool thumbsup*

Deadpool has his index finger up and is for when you just got your rear end handed to you by probably Killmonger.
I exclusivly use Kamala's thumbs up sarcasticly, but that's about it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any time I see a person using my avatar I do the spiderman point but haven't gotten one back yet :(

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I won a "Win a lane with 1 card" with Lizard alone having 50 power thanks to double Klaw and Onslaught

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'

Joey Freshwater posted:

Any time I see a person using my avatar I do the spiderman point but haven't gotten one back yet :(

I use Korg exclusively until they add a ROCK avatar and I always greet anyone with the “Korg Fan Club” title. About 50% are poseurs apparently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goferchan posted:

I'm curious, does he destroy a location locked down by Professor X? I've never seen that interaction come up.

Galactus can indeed destroy Professor X and his location. I even won a game that way once by guessing which lane my opponent was going to play his Destroyer in. He left the other lane empty, and whoops!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

As I like actually playing my games to completion the snap mechanic is garbage.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Do you never raise or fold in poker either, because you want to see every hand to completion?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just had 5 people in a row retreat. Cowards!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Do you never raise or fold in poker either, because you want to see every hand to completion?

Marvel Snap isn't poker.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 9, 2022

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i've been playing this for the last couple days...are there bots filling in for real opponents at the lower levels? i'm winning at what seems like an unsustainable rate

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

wyoak posted:

i've been playing this for the last couple days...are there bots filling in for real opponents at the lower leveks? i'm winning at what seems like an unsustainable rate

yeah its basically all bots till you hit 30 and then a fair number mixed in after, depending on when you're playing and your CL

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Marvel Snap isn't poker.

The snap mechanic is intentionally designed to function exactly like raising and folding in poker.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

buffalo all day posted:

yeah its basically all bots till you hit 30 and then a fair number mixed in after, depending on when you're playing and your CL

I feel like I see plenty of real players sub-30.

I just unlocked Vision but he actually doesn’t seem great to me for a move deck, at least in pool 2. Not at 5/7 anyway. Maybe I’m missing something.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Duck and Cover posted:

Have you considered that maybe this game isn't your cup of tea?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Kaddish posted:

I just unlocked Vision but he actually doesn’t seem great to me for a move deck, at least in pool 2. Not at 5/7 anyway. Maybe I’m missing something.

bots are probably less common right now as everyone got compressed into the lower ranks at the start of the season, but it might be different for you based on your CL?

re Vision, agree he's not great in a Heimdall/Vulture/Multiple Man move deck, he's better paired with Storm

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

rydiafan posted:

The snap mechanic is intentionally designed to function exactly like raising and folding in poker.

Yeah. It isn't poker though. No meaningful communication, it's obvious if your opponent is winning, people don't really bluff (they probably do but not really if you've already snapped on turn one).

Opopanax posted:

X has flaws. WHELP YOU BETTER NOT LIKE X. I'm kind of sick of seeing this post.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 9, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think the snap mechanic is pretty cool and good but I also probably don’t utilize it enough/correctly yet.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Kaddish posted:

He doesn't seem great, but he'll get you sometimes. It's more about the fakeout. Does the oppo keep vision in a lane you're winning where he can win with one more card? Or where he's winning but you commit more and vision moves?

The wine in front of me is tricky

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Duck and Cover posted:

X has flaws. WHELP YOU BETTER NOT LIKE X. I'm kind of sick of seeing this post.

Yeah but the reason you keep seeing it is because you keep complaining about features everyone likes and/or demanding features no one else wants. Like, it’s ok to not like a game if it’s not working for you.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Yeah but the reason you keep seeing it is because you keep complaining about features everyone likes and/or demanding features no one else wants. Like, it’s ok to not like a game if it’s not working for you.

Never demanded poo poo, I merely stated my opinion. I don't expect it to change I just like to dissect the games I like.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 9, 2022

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Just pulled Wong, and stirred up a little reveal deck.

ALL HAIL DOOM!

Here's my deck:

Any suggestions to spruce it up?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

I keep seeing it because people such are yourself can't understand someone not liking aspects of something but still enjoying the whole. I never demanded poo poo, I merely stated my opinion. I don't like emotes, the snap mechanic isn't as deep as it in theory wants to be. It's fine I don't expect it to change I just like to dissect the games I like.

The Snap mechanic is the core mechanic of the game's rank progression/bluffing. They've said they'll do friends lists soon anyway, so presumably DMs will come with that, and you can chat after the match or something

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Opopanax posted:

It's weird how D&C spent years complaining about Hearthstone and now has followed Ben Brode to complain about another one of his games.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Thank god there's no 9 deck slot limit.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Nybble posted:

It's weird how D&C spent years complaining about Hearthstone and now has followed Ben Brode to complain about another one of his games.

lmao i was thinking the same thing, i was out of hearthstone for years and this dude has been rocking this the whole time

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Been trying out a Control-y deck and having fun

# (1) Nova
# (2) Carnage
# (2) Star-Lord
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (3) Storm
# (3) Groot
# (3) Killmonger
# (4) Jessica Jones
# (5) Hobgoblin
# (5) Professor X
# (5) Gamora
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3Rvcm0ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik5vdmEifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IktpbGxtb25nZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkdhbW9yYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3RhcmxvcmQifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ikplc3NpY2FKb25lcyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ2FybmFnZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiR3Jvb3QifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlByb2Zlc3NvclgifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkhvYmdvYmxpbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTGl6YXJkIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJNckZhbnRhc3RpYyJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

The idea is to shut down a zone or two and dictate the pace of the game. Storm is versatile and pressures them to commit to a zone. Lizard works well with Shuri's lab or as a T2 setup to Storm. The Guardians are there because you're making situations where you likely know where the opponent will be playing; Storm into a Guardian or Jessica can be strong. The dream is Storm t4 into Professor X t5 while they're responding to Storm, into Gamora t6 in the last open lane.

Nova/Carnage/Killmonger are there because the Deck was coming together low on one drops so I decided to go all-in so Killmonger could clear out Zoo decks. Popping nova can boost your closed off lanes. Hobgoblin is just fun, but Klaw probably fits the deck better tbh.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No Wave posted:

I'm still convinced it took them so long because they were busy trying to figure out if people would spend money for more deck slots.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 9, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

No Wave posted:

I believe there's a limit of 20 decks.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Lucked into getting Sunspot on turn 1, had Infinaut in hand on turn 2 and decided to go all in on the nonsense.

That Shang-Chi nearly murdered me but since they flipped first I survived.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Also trying to do something approaching pool 2 Control, here's my list:

# (1) Iceman
# (1) Uatu the Watcher
# (2) Cable
# (2) Scarlet Witch
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Cosmo
# (3) Killmonger
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Enchantress
# (4) White Queen
# (5) Klaw
# (5) Gamora
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2hpdGVRdWVlbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiVWF0dSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ2FibGUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNjYXJsZXRXaXRjaCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ29zbW8ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IktpbGxtb25nZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkVuY2hhbnRyZXNzIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJLbGF3In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJHYW1vcmEifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkxpemFyZCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSWNlbWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGFuZ0NoaSJ9XX0=

The goals here are information and counter-play. Ideal turns 1 and 2 are either Iceman into Cable for some disruption and a free card, or Uatu into Scarlet Witch to remove an unfavorable location. Lizard is just an all-around strong card for the price. Cosmo/Killmonger/Shang-Chi/Enchantress are all there as answers to different kinds of threats and should be swapped out according to what you're seeing. Then rounding out the curve you have White Queen/Klaw/Gamora, who are all just generally powerful cards with effects that get stronger depending on your opponent's deck and the locations that turned up. I tried running Professor X and Storm but neither seemed terribly strong: X is so little power for so much cost that a bad read can easily mean you lock down a location for your opponent, and Storm is strong but pretty easy to counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

quiggy posted:

Also trying to do something approaching pool 2 Control, here's my list:

# (1) Iceman
# (1) Uatu the Watcher
# (2) Cable
# (2) Scarlet Witch
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Cosmo
# (3) Killmonger
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Enchantress
# (4) White Queen
# (5) Klaw
# (5) Gamora
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2hpdGVRdWVlbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiVWF0dSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ2FibGUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNjYXJsZXRXaXRjaCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ29zbW8ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IktpbGxtb25nZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkVuY2hhbnRyZXNzIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJLbGF3In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJHYW1vcmEifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkxpemFyZCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSWNlbWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGFuZ0NoaSJ9XX0=

The goals here are information and counter-play. Ideal turns 1 and 2 are either Iceman into Cable for some disruption and a free card, or Uatu into Scarlet Witch to remove an unfavorable location. Lizard is just an all-around strong card for the price. Cosmo/Killmonger/Shang-Chi/Enchantress are all there as answers to different kinds of threats and should be swapped out according to what you're seeing. Then rounding out the curve you have White Queen/Klaw/Gamora, who are all just generally powerful cards with effects that get stronger depending on your opponent's deck and the locations that turned up. I tried running Professor X and Storm but neither seemed terribly strong: X is so little power for so much cost that a bad read can easily mean you lock down a location for your opponent, and Storm is strong but pretty easy to counter.

I think I'm gonna ultimately cut X for this reason: for every game he wins for me there's several where he's dead weight or it backfires. Still it's so satisfying when you pull it off that I'll probably try to make it work.

Storm I like a lot though, the 3 cost is flexible and the secondary effect is that she ruins a bad location which can be key, sort of a Scarlet Witch effect without the randomness.