Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The mistake was annexing it, not in refusing to fight to the last for territory that's basically impossible to hold. There were commanders urging the leadership to abandon Kherson quite some time ago, but it didn't happen for political reasons, because Putin wanted the popularity/patriotic boost from the annexations to offset the unpopular mobilization order.

So what's the point of mobilization then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

So what's the point of mobilization then?

To hold what can be held. The losses on the Kharkhiv front weren't the fault of geography, but inadequate manpower. Even if things are still terrible for Russia going forward (I'm not saying they are, just if they are), they'd be even worse without the mobilization.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

I mean a lot of these arguments are asking me to posit that Russia is as bad as America and nato and idk about that

Why does it matter if one or the other is less bad when they both are clearly bad?

Dems being the less bad option has been dropped as a reason to vote for them, and it seems to me a similar argument. If Dems are less bad than Republicans, or vice versa, that isn't an argument to support either. Similarly, even if Russia is less bad than the US or NATO, that isn't an argument to cheer for Russia.

Personally, I tend to think of them as both just bad without drawing degrees, but the US and NATO are just more competent at being bad.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
does Russia still operate like it’s the 1500’s where mail takes seven months and you find out you’re losing a war months after it happens because this is the only explanation for the response time of the Russian state to anything

USS Liberty
Nov 9, 2022

by vyelkin

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Ukraine as a whole is way more nationalistic and filled with revanchist sentiment than before, which is about as favorable a condition to Nazis as possible, especially now that Western media are running cover for giving them all the weapons they want instead of acknowledging they're Nazis like they did even a couple years ago.

Yeah I can't think of a better environment for nazis and reactionaries than a war torn nation suffering a years long civil war into full blown war with massive civilian casualties on both sides.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

If we begin from the premise that Russia called it wrong and started a war that they now realize they cannot win, it is a good thing if they decide to stop throwing good money after bad.

Yeah. But I bet they try to hold out for spring and recommit and see if they can achieve something next year.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, I kind of hate to say it, but why give up Kherson city itself? I don’t want to necessarily go all the way to Stalingrad but is it really that impossible for the Russians to keep at least some supply lines to the city even if they are having to do it by ferry?

At a certain point you have to make things costly for the enemy and I don’t know if the Ukrainian army is really prepared for urban combat.

You can’t win a war without making a few hard choices.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crepeface posted:

Russia's decision not to defend territory that they've officially claimed is really weird. like.... maybe the EU economy is collapsing but it doesn't help the people who you've abandoned. surely maintaining popular support is important?!?

We lost whole battalions in 15 minutes over the sanctity of Belgian independence. If this is about the encroachment of a foreign military alliance and repression of your people by a ethnonationalist government, at some point or another you will have to close with and destroy the enemy rather than just shell them and hope the end of the war materializes from that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Also, I kind of hate to say it, but why give up Kherson city itself? I don’t want to necessarily go all the way to Stalingrad but is it really that impossible for the Russians to keep at least some supply lines to the city even if they are having to do it by ferry?

At a certain point you have to make things costly for the enemy and I don’t know if the Ukrainian army is really prepared for urban combat.

You can’t win a war without making a few hard choices.

I think it really was impossible to keep supply lines open and they weren't ready to go full 'Azov in defense of Mariupol.' I wouldn't be surprised if morale played a part too, where Russian soldiers who felt like they were fighting for a hopeless outpost without supply might have mutinied. Unlike the Ukrainians, these soldiers aren't fighting for their homes, and increasingly with the conscripts they didn't even sign up for this.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I guess the Kerch bridge bombing was more effective than it appeared.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1590386981259063296?t=h9tJzo7BRyakE7gn0zF_ig&s=19

Lol

Lmao

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

I guess the Kerch bridge bombing was more effective than it appeared.

It is pretty jacked up and has far less capacity now. Russia has been shipping trains via ferry (which to be fair is how it was done before the bridge existed, but clearly less efficient than full up truck traffic and heavy rail).

Supposed to be fixed by July next year.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

lol @ all this Mickey Mouse bullshit. Is Kherson Russia or not? What was the point of the referendums? It’s one thing to start a war you aren’t resolved to win, but one you aren’t even willing to fight?

It would be better to enter talks today than to wait until Russian forces have withdrawn to Crimea or the Kerch Peninsula because their commanders are unwilling to throw men into battle. Every turned flank or situation with a numerical disadvantage turns out the same way, and while tactically and operationally it makes sense, it’s impossible to win a war that way, which points to still more political bullshit.

They’ve consigned thousands of civilians to execution and not fired a shot in their defence.

Greece is the Fourth Rome, long live Greece, I guess.

turns out russia is a real liberal democracy after all.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zodium posted:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I think it really was impossible to keep supply lines open and they weren't ready to go full 'Azov in defense of Mariupol.' I wouldn't be surprised if morale played a part too, where Russian soldiers who felt like they were fighting for a hopeless outpost without supply might have mutinied. Unlike the Ukrainians, these soldiers aren't fighting for their homes, and increasingly with the conscripts they didn't even sign up for this.

But that is the issue in a nutshell, if there is that little confidence in one’s forces then the other side will eventually start bullying you around.

That said, the Ukrainians could start utilizing the same tactics by hitting the road and rail network around Mariupol as well.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ukraine is doing its own weird little media campaign.

https://twitter.com/SpyTalker/status/1590396102305628161
https://twitter.com/AndriyYermak/status/1590396655144435713

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

That’s my sense of it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

seeing some randos on twitter saying this is the talking point because they dont want anyone to bat an eyelash when they try to blow up the retreating russians as much possible. not that i think they really need an excuse for that

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
thats war, unless there was an actual agreement between russia and ukraine, retreating russian troops would still be combatants

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

seeing some randos on twitter saying this is the talking point because they dont want anyone to bat an eyelash when they try to blow up the retreating russians as much possible. not that i think they really need an excuse for that

Well if they want to start a fight anyway they should go for it I guess.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

thats war, unless there was an actual agreement between russia and ukraine, retreating russian troops would still be combatants

yea, it doesnt make sense to be concerned about it from a rules of war standpoint, but makes a little sense from a "we want everyone to uncritically think of us as the good guys" standpoint. and i guess blowing up retreating russians could involve shelling the city itself, so they may want deniability about that

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Country with soldiers wearing nazi patches wants you to think they're the good guys.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Country with soldiers wearing nazi patches wants you to think they're the good guys.

well....its working

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
RIP to the school and kindergarten teachers of kherson.

Also al saqr, please shut the gently caress up. You dont get to makes every possible prediction and then act smug when something happens. Youre so loving tedious

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Al-Saqr is my friend and is hardly the most tedious poster here

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's fine, but it's nice to know about personal biases.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

thatfatkid posted:

RIP to the school and kindergarten teachers of kherson.

Also al saqr, please shut the gently caress up. You dont get to makes every possible prediction and then act smug when something happens. Youre so loving tedious

the "xyz SHUT UP" posts are whats actually tedious

now preparing for an onslaught of shut up octamurk posts

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63572668.amp

yeah, this looks encouraging

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Maybe I should discreetly slip the Russian military attaché our research on Soviet defence doctrine or something because defence of a bridgehead was kind of critical to crossing the 12 major north south rivers of Western Europe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GCKXZTV8E

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
maybe the russians are cedeing kherson for humanitarian reasons

i mean its obvious they could've held it if they wanted to

speng31b
May 8, 2010

i think that's called partisan action

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Al-Saqr has been pretty consistently anti-Russia since they stalled on taking the Donbass after Mauripol imo. I dunno why the :derp: panic is popular

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

the humanitarian cause being "we dont want to get our supplies cut off and killed here"

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Not So Fast posted:

Al-Saqr has been pretty consistently anti-Russia since they stalled on taking the Donbass after Mauripol imo. I dunno why the :derp: panic is popular

Hes been anti russia ever since they intervened in syria and prevented it becoming libya 2.0. Hes a oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

i mean its obvious they could've held it if they wanted to

if they started the war to stop ukraine genociding russians, then they annexed kherson into russia because it says the people of kherson are russians, then theyre effectively abandoning all those civilians to genocide if they believe themselves

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

Hes been anti russia ever since they intervened in syria and prevented it becoming libya 2.0. Hes a oval office

I admit that I was wrong to doubt paul soccer.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m just relieved that there will be some variety from Gazala going forward on the subject of tenacity and the importance of committing to defensive battles.

If the Russians could hurry up and blunder a raid on Odessa I won’t have to attend as many lectures on Dieppe moving forward either.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

paulsoccer?

Al-Socr

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Not So Fast posted:

al-saqr believes russia should lose but his trusted reference for how the war is going is this thread, which is consistently highly skeptical of russian setbacks to the point of painting a picture of inevitable ukrainian collapse

yet here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

if they started the war to stop ukraine genociding russians, then they annexed kherson into russia because it says the people of kherson are russians, then theyre effectively abandoning all those civilians to genocide if they believe themselves

It’s harebrained in the extreme. We had war plans to fight our way into Quebec to protect the Anglos in the 70’s, and then allegedly plans to storm the bases during the referendums, the UK had plans to invade the Irish Republic should the IRA overwhelm them in the 80’s, and here’s Russia puttering around.

If it turns out that we’re the bloodthirsty horde without regard for human life it will be funny, if nothing else.