Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah its worth remembering Georgia was a solid GOP lock up until Warnock, so its not too suprising that its a close call, but its certainly not a good sign for Walker at all.

Kemp clearly dragged Walker into the runoff via coattails, but very, very unclear who actually shows up for the runoff itself! Will be interesting if it's for Senate control again, or just the 51st vote.

Also very funny:

https://twitter.com/ggreeneva/status/1590368565445595136?t=CD_PWIHwWUnuypXL1EfxBw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
So this tactic wasn't the height of dumb lib perfidy as some have suggested?!‽

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010
If it's dumb and it works it's not dumb, I guess.

Buuuuuut it does seem like the same kind of hubris that got us 4 years of trump...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's Fetterman's campaign manager:

https://twitter.com/BrendanMcP/status/1590337378534952975?t=ywbEHxdkQE5pnykuicmWxw&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oz basically pulled a low-level Elon in this election:

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1590378019704950785?t=qWg4gjPPE8g3CKesdCjcdg&s=19

And Ted Cruz sucks:

https://twitter.com/JimSwiftDC/status/1590373627626606592?t=m3XfQ0ge4vmOrfeQtX2Klw&s=19

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
What was the post debate leak? Missed it I think

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soul Dentist posted:

What was the post debate leak? Missed it I think

The chattering class was like OMG FETTERMAN LOOKS SO SAD after the debate and lots and lots of unnamed Democrats spoke off the record to media types and were like "gently caress, he should've resigned after the stroke" (not possible) and "Lamb should've won" (lol no) and "gently caress, we're hosed and Oz is going to win because Fetterman had a poo poo debate" (lol)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What is their definition of democratic meddling?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Maybe it’s referencing voting for lovely candidates in the Republican primaries in an effort to make whoever the Dems put up as reasonable in comparison?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

Listening to my coworkers bitch about Majority rule in blue states, I think.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe don't put neoconfederates, Nazis, and insurrectionists up for election?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1590252367684870144?t=QdKlhIHBn_h2t9ehkXl2Eg&s=19

Fox noping out on Trump until they come crawling back later.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Ron Johnson projected to keep the Senate seat in WI over Lt Gov Mandela Barnes, but the vote still might finish close enough to get a recount and Barnes still hasn't conceded so :shrug:

The country needs to unfuck itself so my vote doesn't need to keep mattering like this.

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

In IL at least, the pritzker campaign ran anti-Irvin (black mayor of IL's 2nd largest city) and pro(ish)-Bailey (anti vaxer trump guy) ads during the gop primary because they felt he would be an easier opponent.

They would have beaten either of them imo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Basticle posted:

Literally everyone and everything I voted for or against went the other way except maybe the local library tax Levy which I haven't seen results for yet :v:

You have the gift basticle. Are you ready to be on the wrong side of history... for the right reasons?

Anyway a bunch of people I hate are furious so all told a pretty good midterm

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1590369758821593088

I want out of this state for a few reasons, but gently caress waiting to see if Nevada ends up going full Trumper chud or if the blue candidates manage to hold on.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

facialimpediment posted:

Kemp clearly dragged Walker into the runoff via coattails, but very, very unclear who actually shows up for the runoff itself! Will be interesting if it's for Senate control again, or just the 51st vote.

Also very funny:

https://twitter.com/ggreeneva/status/1590368565445595136?t=CD_PWIHwWUnuypXL1EfxBw&s=19

I called/email this guy to support the Burn Pits bill like 3 years ago and received a non committal boilerplate response from his office about his support for "veterans issues" so good tucking riddance.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

I want out of this state for a few reasons, but gently caress waiting to see if Nevada ends up going full Trumper chud or if the blue candidates manage to hold on.

You could be California.

https://twitter.com/BobSalera/status/1590400004690104320?t=DPcOAiiPipl6Ma0bM0kXJQ&s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CBJSprague24 posted:

In Colorado, it's that a DINO took Bortbort's seat.

A "conservative businessman" that swapped parties, and will vote with republicans. Wooo. What a win.

I'm glad bortbort is out but now there's just a quiet piece of poo poo that will vote against "his" party's interests.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dem won in my district by 4%. gently caress off, Yasli Vega.

That Hung Cao Jan 6er creep also lost by 6%

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Election adjacent.

What is everyone's thoughts on fleeing a state due to election results? I'm really torn on this.

On one hand, I get it. You want to live somewhere that has laws/politics that you agree with. On the other hand, isn't that just giving the opposition more power and screwing the people that didn't get out?

It feels like the GOP has figured this out. Just look at all the whack jobs that show up at school board meetings and the like. They seem to stay in the liberal areas and manage to amplify their message. (One of these guys managed to get into a local school board to our surprise)

On the flip side, it is always left leaning people/spaces I see declaring they are leaving for greener pastures.

Why is this? Am I just noticing another version of doomsaying?

Also, yes, I understand that some are simply fleeing due to specific policies (usually abortion and/or pot). Those people tend to be very quiet about their reasons for leaving though and don't "broadcast" it as much.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A.o.D. posted:

Maybe don't put neoconfederates, Nazis, and insurrectionists up for election?

Like that dril tweet about candles.

The answer of course will be no

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ASAPI posted:

Election adjacent.

What is everyone's thoughts on fleeing a state due to election results? I'm really torn on this.

On one hand, I get it. You want to live somewhere that has laws/politics that you agree with. On the other hand, isn't that just giving the opposition more power and screwing the people that didn't get out?

It feels like the GOP has figured this out. Just look at all the whack jobs that show up at school board meetings and the like. They seem to stay in the liberal areas and manage to amplify their message. (One of these guys managed to get into a local school board to our surprise)

On the flip side, it is always left leaning people/spaces I see declaring they are leaving for greener pastures.

Also, yes, I understand that some are simply fleeing due to specific policies (usually abortion and/or pot). Those people tend to be very quiet about their reasons for leaving though and don't "broadcast" it as much.

I think part of it is confirmation bias. I live in Rhode Island one of the "bluest" states in the country. Our state passed some pretty lovely gun laws that probably will not survive in the current courts (good imo as they are not really laws that do much to actually address gun crime. The R's in state have been using that to drive their turnout, "vote the gun grabbers out" etc. This morning the wailing of them online is mostly about them making plans to flee the state (New Hampshire seems to be their preferred destination for a dozen or so who mention it).

Meanwhile my rural district who has had a state rep for years who is an antivaxxer / antimasker and who marched in J6 and the next day tweeted that all of the violence was due to BLM and Antifa activists only just lost his seat by 4 votes. This was due to the state party not really pushing for him and for a 3rd party independent running on a general pro-cop, pro2A platform who took 600 votes. Without the 3rd party a full blown trumper/antivaxxer/J6 dude would have easily won re election. The local school board got swept by R candidates who all ran on a platform roughly stating that critical race theory being taught in our local school system was making the kids gay/trans etc and the other standard-fare vile R state senator won her reelection.

I guess the point I am making is that even in deeply blue states there is a lot of bullshit and the R's who aren't getting their way are also always verbally threatening to leave for Maine, NH, Florida or other "redder" pastures.

Fun fact, my little red district overwhelmingly voted to allow a marijuana dispensary to be zoned for in the town despite leaning very hard R on all other position votes. I am sad to wonder just how much help the Dems could have gotten if Biden had descheduled MJ ahead of the mid-terms.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Georgia is going to a runoff:

https://twitter.com/Victorshi2020/status/1590406426207264768?s=20&t=22c-M7KpHTqMFGzT94FC2Q

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

ASAPI posted:

Election adjacent.

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Do whatever will make you happy. I'm originally from the South and escaping to WA was easily the greatest thing to ever happen to me. Personally, unless you have really strong ties to a location I don't understand making yourself miserable out of some sort of moral obligation.

I moved a lot as a kid, mostly around various Southern states and I never felt "home" in any of them. I wouldn't trade being surrounded by people that have similar values and beliefs for anything.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is this a good or bad thing?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

I think part of it is confirmation bias. I live in Rhode Island one of the "bluest" states in the country. Our state passed some pretty lovely gun laws that probably will not survive in the current courts (good imo as they are not really laws that do much to actually address gun crime. The R's in state have been using that to drive their turnout, "vote the gun grabbers out" etc. This morning the wailing of them online is mostly about them making plans to flee the state (New Hampshire seems to be their preferred destination for a dozen or so who mention it).

Meanwhile my rural district who has had a state rep for years who is an antivaxxer / antimasker and who marched in J6 and the next day tweeted that all of the violence was due to BLM and Antifa activists only just lost his seat by 4 votes. This was due to the state party not really pushing for him and for a 3rd party independent running on a general pro-cop, pro2A platform who took 600 votes. Without the 3rd party a full blown trumper/antivaxxer/J6 dude would have easily won re election. The local school board got swept by R candidates who all ran on a platform roughly stating that critical race theory being taught in our local school system was making the kids gay/trans etc and the other standard-fare vile R state senator won her reelection.

I guess the point I am making is that even in deeply blue states there is a lot of bullshit and the R's who aren't getting their way are also always verbally threatening to leave for Maine, NH, Florida or other "redder" pastures.

Fun fact, my little red district overwhelmingly voted to allow a marijuana dispensary to be zoned for in the town despite leaning very hard R on all other position votes. I am sad to wonder just how much help the Dems could have gotten if Biden had descheduled MJ ahead of the mid-terms.

I wonder also about the decision not to deschedule earlier.

Thanks for the perspective from a different area. I wonder how much is being amplified due to an echo chamber effect.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

COVID and J6 were the encouragement I needed to pull up stakes and leave the country. I pay more taxes, but I get free healthcare, the public transit is actually good enough to take most places, and I won't have to worry about my future kids losing the weekly school shooting lottery.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Randalor posted:

Better than Walker winning outright, worse than Warnock winning outright.

Republicans tend to fair well on runoff votes because old people have all the free time in the world to go vote.

Ladies and Gentlemen, in a month, I give you Senator Herschel Walker.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Randalor posted:

Kemp (Republican) won by eight and Abrams only got 46%. Warnock has no business being in the election with an electorate that red, so it was medium-surprising that Kemp couldn't drag Walker over the line.

Now, who the gently caress knows what the December 6th electorate is going to look like, if it's again for Senate control, and how much Donnie depresses/juices things as he lumbers around his presidential bid.

https://twitter.com/PatrickRuffini/status/1590415468619534336?t=Gc7qiFg1IbSBIBGdnPbkkQ&s=19

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Randalor posted:

Good - the fact this even got to a run off instead of Walker dunking Warnock.

Bad - My phone is gonna be texted a million times between now and then.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Don’t forget, Warnock already won a runoff in 2020, he/his campaign probably have a good idea of how to go about it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Icon Of Sin posted:

Don’t forget, Warnock already won a runoff in 2020, he/his campaign probably have a good idea of how to go about it.

I hope Warnock wins it but we'll see what kind of voter fatigue they hit.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Do whatever will make you happy. I'm originally from the South and escaping to WA was easily the greatest thing to ever happen to me. Personally, unless you have really strong ties to a location I don't understand making yourself miserable out of some sort of moral obligation.

I moved a lot as a kid, mostly around various Southern states and I never felt "home" in any of them. I wouldn't trade being surrounded by people that have similar values and beliefs for anything.

I'm all for doing what is best for you and yours. Absolutely be happy in life.

These people are... different... They seem to be positioning themselves as some kind of martyr, forced to leave the state because the election was lost. These same people would tout the line of "the GOP are fascists and must be fought by any means!"

I'm having a hard time reconciling the "martyrdom" with the "we must fight to the end" messages coming from the same person/people. I guess I just found a sad/overly dramatic corner of the internet today.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Runoff likely favors Warnock anyways, so this might be a good thing.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That Works posted:

gotta keep that october surprise for '24, sucks for everyone that picks up a felony before then

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Boebert had been steadily closing the gap with each update.

She’s only down 2,450 votes at the moment.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://twitter.com/ben_rosen/status/1590367976246505473?s=46&t=h5SKycIaaBuIRyFBTd7SEw

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Every election or two, Oregon is like "ok maybe we'll vote for the Republican governor because [independent spoiler, crime, Portland, etc]"

"... nah I'll take the lesbian Democrat lol sike"

https://twitter.com/hborrud/status/1590424088363020290?t=adT2VUxjh-z28LSMFdCdoQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrMojok posted:

Boebert had been steadily closing the gap with each update.

She’s only down 2,450 votes at the moment.

She has to make up 5,000 votes during a period where mail in voting is being counted which tends to favor dems more.