Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

JugbandDude posted:

To me, it shows that CR is gradually distancing himself from the project, or just plain uninterested.

Devs are finally able to make these compromises that may (eventually, in 30 years) result in a real game, without his stupid "vision" getting in the way.

I think at this point CR will stick around to get SQ42 out and that's it. I don't think he really cares about the PU anymore, once SQ42 is released in 4+ years from now and likely bombs he'll retire or stay on as a figurehead only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

JugbandDude posted:

To me, it shows that CR is gradually distancing himself from the project, or just plain uninterested.

Devs are finally able to make these compromises that may (eventually, in 30 years) result in a real game, without his stupid "vision" getting in the way.

Chris is totally still there. Like a frog at the heart of a hallucination...

The latest ship TTK stuff is all part of his plan to have explosive chess tables and exciting argon gameplay and all that.

'Ahhhm, IMAGINE, you.... YOUR... you're struggling to pull on your Faraday Pants. And...like... as your CO-PILOT... who's this big, hairy, flammable guy... is throwing TEVARIN PLANTS into the AIRLOCK...to...to...to...REPRESSURIZE it.'

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 9, 2022

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Popete posted:

I think at this point CR will stick around to get SQ42 out and that's it. I don't think he really cares about the PU anymore, once SQ42 is released in 4+ years from now and likely bombs he'll retire or stay on as a figurehead only.

I'm sure he's already got his failure speech written; it'll be all the old classics, like how the industry watched his innovations like a hawk and beat him to the punch on all that groundbreaking tech.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The RSI Galaxy. See comments for more details posted:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
It looks like an Idris? It's perfect

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Chris is totally still there. Like a frog at the heart of a hallucination...

The latest ship TTK stuff is all part of his plan to have explosive chess tables and exciting argon gameplay and all that.

'Ahhhm, IMAGINE, you.... YOUR... you're struggling to pull on your Faraday Pants. And...like... as your CO-PILOT... who's this big, hairy, flammable guy... is throwing TEVARIN PLANTS into the AIRLOCK...to...to...to...REPRESSURIZE it.'

Big hairy flammable guy.

This made me :lol:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I don't get it.

What is the magic supposed to be? Is this like some new ship? Looks like... another space ship made of sharp corners? No idea?

Looks very video game space ship-y.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

N00bs as slaves is a good thing, here's why posted:

SC is the 'end game' content of SQ42.
So your citizen has a back story etc.

But what if you skip SQ42?

How about a cutscene showing flashes of a happy life, then slavers attacking a ship, fades to black...

You come round to hear 2 slavers talking to confirm that your memory wipe has taken effect.

Now they put you to work, and through this process you begin to learn the mechanics of the game 1 by 1.

Building up eventually to working with other NPC slaves to escape or activate a rescue beacon for the navy.

quote:

Why should slavery be worse than armed robbey and murder?
I like OPs ide to have slavery as a tutorial to learn the basics of the game for new players.

Im so tired of this woke poo poo..its a game. Give the new players an option to skip the tutorial if they dont want to play as a slave for some minutes.. You could start as a slave to vanduuls or something..

quote:

quote:

not to mention that having slavery in a MMO game with black characters can be... delicate, to put it kindly
Non issue. Maybe you're unaware but historically speaking slavery has happened to everyone, it's had a presence in every civilization since the dawn of time. And it still exists today in various forms and locations.

That aside, slavery exists in the world of Star Citizen. Slavery is a sci-fi staple and is present in many huge franchises (Star Wars, Star Trek, Dune, Blade Runner, etc.). It's a useful plot point. Overcome the evil / obstacle, etc. The story writes itself.

And of course it's a spaceship videogame staple. EVE Online, Elite Dangerous, Wing Commander, etc.

There's nothing wrong with it here, in SQ42 or Star Citizen. Hell, it would be weird if it wasn't included.

quote:

quote:

I really can't understand why people are fighting so hard to get something implemented that adds no tangible value and can only cause problems for the game.
Slavery sure, but not slaving. And besides, slavery can only happen if the slave cooperates.

The benefits for slaving far outweigh the negatives / problems. By a lot. And not just in reference to lore, but when considering gameplay / mechanics.

Players will capture other players and NPCs. And even when taking into account the NPC switch, an NPC is left behind. What happens then? Kill it? Space it? It dematerializes? It makes more sense to close the loop and add a drop off point:
  • slaver outposts
  • no questions asked Hurston employment centers (Bunkers 2.0)
  • Banu slave markets
Heroes / PMCs also benefit. They can raid slave camps and rescue slaves (just like SQ42). Big hero rep, big payouts.

Also:
  • Chris Roberts - If you are sold into slavery, you will need to buy your freedom.
  • SQ42 - Hero mission, rescue Advocacy agent from slavers
  • SQ42 - Slavers in multiple venues
  • PU - Slavers operating in lawless space, some even operating within the UEE on its fringes
  • PU - Banu style slavery in Banu culture, slave insurance for UEE tourists
  • PU - Banu slave markets
  • PU - The mechanics to support slaving are already being worked on (bounty hunting + smuggling). This is arguably the biggest one, as the gameplay required for slaving is being worked on regardless. It's mechanically identical to bounty hunting. It's end-game smuggling.
Also:

When you consider all of this objectively slaving is almost a requirement, an inevitability.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

:mods: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Citizen: slaving is almost a requirement, an inevitability. :mods:

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I was captured and forced into slavery! No other choice but to log out

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen minimum requirements:

- i9 4200mhz processor.
- Nvidia GeForce 6090 64gig graphics card.
- 4 x 8TB lightspeed SSHD in raid -1 mode.
- 8k RSI super low light web/tracking camera.
- Slavery.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

FishMcCool posted:

Fidelitous ship destroyed with deep physics damage model: roll a d100. 1-70 = ship disabled, 71-100 = boom. If boom, more fidelitous d100 physics to decide how much cargo is left over.

Haha

Too bad there are only a dozen original backers left and they're too busy licking Idris handrails to notice this drastic walk-back.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
We don't need to theorycraft about Roberts: he will stick around as long as the money is flowing to him for no work and no delivery, and not a second longer. "Release" of SQ42 etc does not factor into it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So NPCs can take slaves too? Maybe that's why they are always T-posing. To establish dominance.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

ArmA is not an persistent open world game, etc. I think yes, we should fully expect missions to take not just hours but days, if you count traveling and such. It would only make sense that we'd need to prepare and commit to doing something like that in a game like this... these are not WoW quests where you go "knock it out" and return all in the same session. That mentality has to go...

I mean, yes you will be able to do a few missions one one session, but those are the pizza delivery missions in the same, safe system... or same planet. That'a not the kind you will be able to do across the galaxy.

quote:

Star Citizen is not, nor ever was meant to be a ‘quick fix’ type of game. Chris and company always wanted SC to be a commitment. Not that there won’t be play for casuals. Even in the PU. But that type of play won’t be the norm.

CIG is building Arena Commander and things like Theaters of War for those interested in getting a quick fix.

You can go ahead and stand by your ground. The ground I happen to stand on looks considerably different. I think SC will be a huge success. Specifically because of things like how long it takes to actually plan for, and execute a mission. Or at least missions that have any real value.

There’s nothing about SC that suggests players can achieve their goals in a single one hour session.

quote:

I appreciate your responses... and I really want to have a good discussion about this, because it's an important topic! I'd wager that more than half of my posts on these forums over the past 10 years orbit around this very topic!

I also don't want to do a quote war, because I'm not interested in doing a tit-for-tat thing, but having a more holistic discussion... but there are a couple statements I want to key off of to get there:

The theme I want to focus on here is scope and scale of the world... because I think that's the main difference. Your post seems to be speaking to the idea that we should be able to do all the same things we like from other games, in the same time commitment it takes to do them in other games, despite the scale of the world being infinitely larger.

Should we really be able to wake up, visit a nearby moon, and be back in the same bed in 45 minutes? Isn't that squandering the world CIG is building just a bit?

And that world scale is not just a flex because they can, but it is in and of itself a constraint that will introduce actual gameplay to the mix... it causes player choice in ways other games cannot. Considering operational logistics and cost - choosing the right ship, choosing the crew, how much will all of that cost and -- maybe most importantly -- how do I value the time it will take me away from other things. We have to actually make those choices to actually be successful.

If we can just log in, play, do whatever, and still have the same success in any amount of time we have available, it's going to make everything we do in the world quite meaningless.

To circle back to the short-form content, we should definitely have it... but it should be more along the lines of what we could reasonably expect. Have an hour to play? Well, maybe some delivery missions around ArcCorp between Area 18 and Area 42 are in order. Or if I'm already in space, perhaps a quick mining session to take to the nearest refinery and pick up tomorrow. That sort of thing. I really don't think we should expect to get anywhere in the galaxy any time we want and complete a mission... just because it's out there, and we're short on time?

I think it's not only OK, but absolutely necessary that your objective is sometimes several play sessions away from wherever you are.

I really feel like players don't fully buy into or believe the game CIG is trying to build... because it does have things that will make many gamers go "WTF?". But that's almost entirely the premise of the original pitch, that this is a living/breathing universe where there is risk and reward, including the idea that players have to make choices, and are not entitled to success on their own terms.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SleepyOilyFish-mobile.mp4

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Only Kindness posted:

We don't need to theorycraft about Roberts: he will stick around as long as the money is flowing to him for no work and no delivery, and not a second longer. "Release" of SQ42 etc does not factor into it.

It'll be interesting to see what Chris says when he does eventually leave.

If CIG folds at the same time, I'm sure it'll just be "we tried" boilerplate. Blah blah ambitious design blah blah so grateful to the community blah blah alas the market worked against us blah blah new technology blah blah maybe someday blah. Boring, boring, boring.

But if CIG's still around pretending to make Star Citizen after he slips out the door, oh man, that's going to be a hell of a farewell letter to read. He's already established that he has no compunctions whatsoever about throwing everyone at CIG under the bus for everything that goes wrong. They're all naysayers! They don't work as fast as he would! Investors and partners don't understand that perfection takes literally all of the time in the universe! Every Lord-British-esque "My only role in this project was to provide a creative vision, and now that I see my vision is in good hands, I'm ready to move on to new challenges" and "like all of you, I look forward to seeing the final result" sentiment is going to be backstopped with a passive-aggressive snipe at somebody still working there. I don't think he'll be able to stop himself. It will be delicious.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Given how well SC is progressing and how much bullshit they've fed to the backers, and they still boast constantly increasing revenue, I'm not entirely sure how or when it'll end.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
"No, that still looks too close to the Anaconda, give it more pointless geometry"

hansihinterseer
Jul 12, 2017

Sandepande posted:

Given how well SC is progressing and how much bullshit they've fed to the backers, and they still boast constantly increasing revenue, I'm not entirely sure how or when it'll end.

At this point it will very likely never end. It is in a state where it keeps the backers illusional to have achieved already something that even if stopped today, wasnt in vain, so it can comfortably sit in this eternal debt tech limbo for as long as either the last backer has died or turned away or the costs to keep this running on servers outweigh the income, in case the remaining backers would still continue to convince themselves how great it all was and totally worth it. Like mentally deranged, the point of no return is long behind those.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
It looks like a stack of unfolded cardboard boxes.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

:mods: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Citizen: slaving is almost a requirement, an inevitability. :mods:

:mods: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Citizen: The benefits for slaving far outweigh the negatives :mods:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Here, I'm partial to:
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Citizen: I like OPs ide to have slavery as a tutorial

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

hansihinterseer posted:

At this point it will very likely never end. It is in a state where it keeps the backers illusional to have achieved already something that even if stopped today, wasnt in vain, so it can comfortably sit in this eternal debt tech limbo for as long as either the last backer has died or turned away or the costs to keep this running on servers outweigh the income, in case the remaining backers would still continue to convince themselves how great it all was and totally worth it. Like mentally deranged, the point of no return is long behind those.

I'm eternally puzzled by the funding records being broken every year, with no indication that actual human consumers are shoveling a lot of cash into the project. Social media engagement and viewer figures for stuff on YouTube and Twitch are very low for something that supposedly has millions of people interested in it.

Well, if they've managed to gather like 60-70 000 people who are willing to put a hundred €/$/£ into SC per month on average, it could explain it all. And maybe most of the activity happens in places where echo chambers are easy to build.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I thought SC already has these kind of missions where you spend multiple days delivering single box.

You wake up, commute to some place, take a box, you're killed by stairs, you wake up, commute to some place, take a box, your spaceship randomly explodes while in space, you wake up, you're killed by subway, you wake up, server crashes...

The Best drat Groundhog Day Simulator Ever

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 10, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sandepande posted:

I'm eternally puzzled by the funding records being broken every year, with no indication that actual human consumers are shoveling a lot of cash into the project. Social media engagement and viewer figures for stuff on YouTube and Twitch are very low for something that supposedly has millions of people interested in it.

Well, if they've managed to gather like 60-70 000 people who are willing to put a hundred €/$/£ into SC per month on average, it could explain it all. And maybe most of the activity happens in places where echo chambers are easy to build.
10 years later, I'm still convinced it's a combination. The really loving dumb whales definitely exist, but judging by every other metric there are not nearly enough of them buying sorry I mean donating to get all the best ships, what do you mean P2W there is no "winning" in this game, checkmate goontiflas.
So there has to be more. Money laundering is probably a big one and it's fairly easy on the grey market. And I think some part of the funding tracker is downright fake (or lying by omission), factoring in subsidies and bank loans or just adding up "revenue" from people buying ships, even if they converted older ships and previously bought items and currency.

E: The project is a giant Ponzi scheme so even if the real numbers still showed CIG being moderately successful (at leeching money from morons), that's not enough. The appearance has to be that the project is THE BEST ANYTHING EVER and getting bigger and better every month, come join now and join all these other successful people who keep making this project big! Whales keep sending money based on the idea that they'll be "going strong" for another decade or two before they might hit basic playability. Chris Robbers is not allowed to show signs of weakness, otherwise who else is paying for his lifestyle?

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 10, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sardonik posted:

"No, that still looks too close to the Anaconda, give it more pointless geometry"
:lol: anaconda with a spoiler

:reddit: RSI Galaxy - colored image. Looks to be from a brochure.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

orcane posted:

10 years later, I'm still convinced it's a combination. The really loving dumb whales definitely exist, but judging by every other metric there are not nearly enough of them buying sorry I mean donating to get all the best ships, what do you mean P2W there is no "winning" in this game, checkmate goontiflas.
So there has to be more. Money laundering is probably a big one and it's fairly easy on the grey market. And I think some part of the funding tracker is downright fake (or lying by omission), factoring in subsidies and bank loans or just adding up "revenue" from people buying ships, even if they converted older ships and previously bought items and currency.

Money laundering plus a bunch of cultists seems the most realistic option, though I wouldn't be surprised if they've also taken on contract jobs and/or half the operation is running on bank loans and IOUs.

One of the most interesting bits about this project is that Chris "Healthy lifestyles" Roberts is yet to play the game in public a second time. I can understand why someone like Braben doesn't do it very often (he has an actual company to run), but this is supposed to be CR's passion project, his magnum opus, his mark in entertainment industry history etc. etc. I'd imagine he'd be hands-down all the time, showing people how it's done.

Almost makes me think that Chris is full of poo poo.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Christ Robbers doesn't need to present any gameplay if he can sit in front of a camera and wave his hands around talking about how (insert industry standard feature with a new name) will be the best thing since sliced bread and also wayyyy better than (namedrop some "recent" hit games) and you can't deduce anything from that because it's 1) not in the game, 2) never being shown by other devs and 3) boss thumb is not playing or showing any interest in playing his own game beyond the buzzwords and PR. And his marks will open their wallets anyway.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sandepande posted:

One of the most interesting bits about this project is that Chris "Healthy lifestyles" Roberts is yet to play the game in public a second time.
that's a big fat lie, FUDster

behold

https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/1407923579463761922

checkmate, goontiflas

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

orcane posted:

Christ Robbers doesn't need to present any gameplay if he can sit in front of a camera and wave his hands around talking about how (insert industry standard feature with a new name) will be the best thing since sliced bread and also wayyyy better than (namedrop some "recent" hit games) and you can't deduce anything from that because it's 1) not in the game, 2) never being shown by other devs and 3) boss thumb is not playing or showing any interest in playing his own game beyond the buzzwords and PR. And his marks will open their wallets anyway.

This is all true, of course. I'm fascinated that such an obvious lack of commitment isn't impacting the figures at all. The figurehead and grand old daddy of the whole project seems more keen on anything besides the project itself.

I suppose it's all about cult stuff and ideology. Identifying with SC (an "underdog" versus the nebulous threat of "big publishers"), the vague promises of the game itself, allowing everyone to imagine whatever they want, and having paid for the privilege, the theorycrafting seems all the more valid. In addition to these there are those who like to think they are the keepers of some secret knowledge, because they know that every other game is crap, but the unwashed gamer masses don't.

Fuckwits.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Dwesa posted:

behold

checkmate, goontiflas

I forgot about that really convincing video. I'm sold (to wage slavery, manning someone's Idris)!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Dwesa posted:

behold

checkmate, goontiflas

Even in that staged video, someone is bugged out.

NocnaShada
Nov 10, 2015
Is there a graph of pledgemoneys over time anywhere?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sandepande posted:

This is all true, of course. I'm fascinated that such an obvious lack of commitment isn't impacting the figures at all. The figurehead and grand old daddy of the whole project seems more keen on anything besides the project itself.

I suppose it's all about cult stuff and ideology. Identifying with SC (an "underdog" versus the nebulous threat of "big publishers"), the vague promises of the game itself, allowing everyone to imagine whatever they want, and having paid for the privilege, the theorycrafting seems all the more valid. In addition to these there are those who like to think they are the keepers of some secret knowledge, because they know that every other game is crap, but the unwashed gamer masses don't.

Fuckwits.
Oh yeah, I actually agree with your post. It's absurd how his performative non-commitment doesn't sway the marks at all. He could probably announce selling the project off to some low tier publisher or cancel it and go "you can play what's there but we're done" and a significant part of the Monocle Cats and Jorunns will keep "paying to keep the servers on" or something equally silly. But of course that wouldn't be the big numbers he needs to keep renting Porsches and LA mansions.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The PC Messiah was important for getting people into the cult, but now that the citizenry have tied the game into their sense of identity he has become vestigial. New intake comes from normal marketing techniques (much like that used by the evil Publishers), and may not have even heard of the Crobbler....

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Roberts exit will simply be, 'here's my new kickstarter.'

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol anything they don't like is "woke poo poo"

doesn't matter if it's strictly game design stuff or whatever, it's bad so it's "woke"

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Here, I'm partial to:
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Citizen: I like OPs ide to have slavery as a tutorial

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018