Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
all three of them are worthwhile imo but yeah Biotech is very good by itself. the other two DLCs are great also but you will have a full plate of content just with Biotech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Is the archonexus a fun challenge ending or more of a slog?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

bitterandtwisted posted:

In my opinion it is just a terrible slog. Since you lose all research, it's just starting an entirely new colony.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

bitterandtwisted posted:

its a slog, i only like it with the mod that lets you carry over your research

once you go to the new map you are reset on tech but your wealth is insanely exploded due to your five OP colonists

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's basically newgame+, it's not exactly "a slog" it's just a new game with some beefed up starter colonists. very low effort "win" condition.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Archonexus is pretty much pure slog because you'll probably spend a while on your first colony building up your perfect set of pawns, and then after that it's just speedrunning wealth because there's nothing else to do since it'll all get thrown away regardless and the faster you get it done the less risk of losing to raids.

With the release of Biotech you can probably go even faster than before thanks to xenogene optimization. Remove the need for sleep on every pawn and just grind out masterwork statues nonstop.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Had a weird mod bug that is killing my colonists. For some reason there are naked men that spawn with the Ytyakin raiders. They're equipped with triple rocket launchers. Usually I can get them to waste their rockets on strategically placed militors, but then the bug happens. Their rocket launchers are multiple use.

They'll be unarmed, but fire off a singular rocket in what I assume are powerful hip thrusts towards my colonists.

Lost three colonists first time it happened. They used their rockets so I ignored them, then they released another salvo.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

In terms of enjoyability for end game, I'd say Never Ending > Royalty Ending > Ship >>>>> Archonexus

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks all, good to know.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: Hygiene fertilizer on sand terrain:

Flesh Forge posted:

You can do these on sand but I don't think you can actually plant on sand without modding the growing zone tool, I'll tinker with that in a while.

this brings sand tiles to 50% fertility and allows you to place a grow zone on them, and grow whatever the biome allows, the periodic fertility bonus from irrigation stacks with this. neat mechanic!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How does anyone play without Cannibalism: Accepted?

Sure rice and muffalo is good but there are literally people delivering their meat to you and making furniture out of their skin is economical.

Really, cannibalism is the most green way to play.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

anyone remember the name of the mod that shows what recipes an item is used in when you open its details page?

bumping my own question because i almost thought i had found it, but i had just found What's That Mod

i want to click on a Persona Core and see what recipes its used in :(

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Could it be that sickly pawns don't work as disease lightning rods anymore? I'm on my fifth trashman and they are a terrible non violent sickly pawn and ever since everybody is getting the plague like nonstop. Could just be bad RNG this current year of the colony but man is it annoying. I remember these pawns used to be pretty good on Cassandra because even if they got like twice the diseases most of the event rolls would be used on just them and your actual good pawns would be spared. Maybe another thing that got patched out a long time ago that I missed somehow.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 9, 2022

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
i was thinking biotech could make an archonexus playthrough less of a slog if you raise a new generation of kids to send through each time. not sure the timeframe really lines up, might be a different sort of slog waiting for kids to be old enough to procreate on the next go-round. but if you're generally enjoying the childraising mechanic, maybe a better goal than a ship.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pink noise posted:

i was thinking biotech could make an archonexus playthrough less of a slog if you raise a new generation of kids to send through each time. not sure the timeframe really lines up, might be a different sort of slog waiting for kids to be old enough to procreate on the next go-round. but if you're generally enjoying the childraising mechanic, maybe a better goal than a ship.

Kids get to 13 in about 3 in-game years and need to get to 16 before they can have their own kids. So minimum 6 years per base unless you also jack up the adult aging rate.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Sure rice and muffalo is good but there are literally people delivering their meat to you and making furniture out of their skin is economical.

Extremely easily.

Dead raiders donate their valuable body parts, their weapons and clothes get recycled or washed, and then anything left over gets turned into chemfuel.

What, you think I'm burying them or something?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've just never ever used chemfuel or nutrient paste in this game. Is it worth using them or only in specific circumstances?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

redreader posted:

I've just never ever used chemfuel or nutrient paste in this game. Is it worth using them or only in specific circumstances?

Chemfuel is really easy consistent power if you tame a boomalope or two. They'll keep you swimming in the stuff and its excellent backup power generation.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

redreader posted:

I don't use nutrient paste either but chemfuel you need for all sorts of poo poo, notably transport pods, and you really want transport pods later on because they beat the poo poo out of ground caravanning.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

redreader posted:

Chemfuel is used in a few very useful things like mortar shells and drop pods and the power generator is very efficient if you have a steady supply, also a decent bulk goods trade item. It's very easy to make if you find yourself overproducing wood or food a lot of times, or just grab some boomalopes, they are easy to tame.
Nutrient paste eliminates the risk of food poisoning and having a pawn with cooking skill but it's really only good if you have a specific ideology and base setup for it, otherwise it has too many downsides to make it really worthwhile.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

And honestly You can convert rice to Chemfuel pretty easy. Just set it to only rice and keep a crop of it and its basically like a chemfuel farm.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Just remember that an unfortunate Zzzt event, drop pod raid or enemy siege shell can make a big mess so try to not keep huge stocks of it or keep most of it exclusive in a non flammable storage room.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Chemfuel (with Rimfellar) provides my power gen from solar to whatever endgame bullshit I'm currently using.

In addition I use it for Neutromine and Napalm, and whatever explosives I'm currently employing. It's also great for trading and even better for story hijinks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zore posted:

Chemfuel is really easy consistent power if you tame a boomalope or two. They'll keep you swimming in the stuff and its excellent backup power generation.

Yeah chemfuel generators are extremely efficient, they run for a long time on not very much fuel, and you can expand them as much as you like to get as much consistent power as you like. And you can turn a bunch of surplus organics into fuel.

Plus they also generate a fair bit of heat which if you're clever you can recycle into heating for your base, they're very good for underground bases. Plus if you have piles of it you can also use it to make a bunch of incendiary weapons, or weaponize it directly if you have a psyker who can skip things, set a stack fizzing and skip it into the enemy.

E: also nutrient paste is very good for prisoners if nothing else, you can slap a nutrient paste dispenser through the prison wall and put a freezer behind it and it will dispense meals when they ask it to, saves your dudes running around to deliver food to them as much.

That's the 3x3 version from vanilla expanded but the base game 2x2 version is only slightly less efficient, chemful generators are very good honestly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 9, 2022

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You also need chemfuel to reload utility items; jump packs & firefoam belts are very good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah and smokepoppers, whole bunch of good utility stuff you can use freely if you got chemfuel.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

E: also nutrient paste is very good for prisoners if nothing else, you can slap a nutrient paste dispenser through the prison wall and put a freezer behind it and it will dispense meals when they ask it to, saves your dudes running around to deliver food to them as much.

True, I never thought about that. Just put the prisoners on paste only and your guys on other meals if they hate it, so they don't go grab the stuff if you happen to run out of meals for a bit or something.
I wouldn't install it directly in a prison though, in case one of the prisoners goes berserk and wants to break it, next to it would be better probably.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
For whatever it’s worth, I’ve never had a prisoner break the dispenser. They always just seem to try to break the door, which is understandable.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

They are going after random furniture as well as the door in my prisons so I assumed they'd also want to break the dispenser sometimes. Maybe it's coded in a way that it's just like a wall to them and not a bed or cooler etc.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Cannibalism is a kind of different experience, Accepted can make a run feel too easy imo. Corpse disposal is a challenge that I usually want to keep around but sometimes I do want the cannibalism experience

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Its kinda like transhumanism. The winstate of the ideologue is the winstate of the game itself so why wouldn't you have it?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Donkringel posted:

Had a weird mod bug that is killing my colonists. For some reason there are naked men that spawn with the Ytyakin raiders. They're equipped with triple rocket launchers. Usually I can get them to waste their rockets on strategically placed militors, but then the bug happens. Their rocket launchers are multiple use.

They'll be unarmed, but fire off a singular rocket in what I assume are powerful hip thrusts towards my colonists.

Lost three colonists first time it happened. They used their rockets so I ignored them, then they released another salvo.

I experienced a similar bug in a recent game - a colonist was downed and all his equipped weapons were destroyed by fire. When he got back up he was somehow still able to fire shots from his antimateriel rifle? Probably due to the exciting combination of mods I have.

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
nutrient paste meals prevent food poisoning and use significantly less resources than simple meals so they're a good choice early in challenge sort of playthroughs like extreme biomes trying to get hydro going before you starve, or solo starts where food poisoning plus another minor event can end your game

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pink noise posted:

nutrient paste meals prevent food poisoning and use significantly less resources than simple meals so they're a good choice early in challenge sort of playthroughs like extreme biomes trying to get hydro going before you starve, or solo starts where food poisoning plus another minor event can end your game

I was doing a Mechanist (or whatever it's called) game where just before T2 he got the flu and thought bed rest would get rid of it.
It progressed pretty rapidly and none of my robots could help and he died.

I forgot to check Self-Heal :negative:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dubs keeps me in all the chemfuel i need. My drop pods are powered by poop.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

pink noise posted:

If you're a transhumanist type and especially if you live in a polluted biome you never get past it.

Although relying too much on them can sometimes gently caress you up if you get caught out with a bad breakdown and no components.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Update on 80 year old man- 20 year old woman romance: They are married.

I don't know how they decided this since I've stuffed his rear end in the biosculpt pod basically 100% of the time, he is now down to 64 and has had all his health conditions cured by bionics.

SHE is now getting the +moodlet from having a psychic link to him.
HE is still getting the -moodlet from his psychic bond being off the map.

Why is this blue-skinned motherfucker psychic cheating on his new wife??!? THE SON OF A BITCH well they seem happy enough, back in the pod Franklin.

Also I just found out due to this thread that your research resets when you Archonexus and so I've crossed that off my list forever. Of course I have over 4000 hours in the game and have never "won" except for all the self-imposed victories I've had like "Maintain a herd of 300+ triceratops" or "Scour the continent of insectoid life."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drop pods take a lot longer to load than a caravan so I only use them for distance or very dense loads (like a raiding party). Caravan loading is just so much more efficient than drop pod loading. If I am actually just trying to sell 200 hats at a nearby outpost while maybe stopping by an ancient complex then that's caravan territory. "Ridable" caravan animals changed this calculation considerably, if you have a couple of horses and a dirt road or better then you can cover a lot of ground pretty quickly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm surprised there is no caravan mech honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Probably because the optimal strategy for it would be to assemble it, send it, bring it back an disassemble it.