Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dusty extension is official:

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1590402134213742593?s=46&t=GPtA5hgTsp4BxY5HkIxGSQ

Crane’s still giving standard noncommittal answers on Click and JV, but mentioned Montero specifically as someone to try and re-sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Did you forget about the Mickey Callaway stuff or???
I did :(

Back to the hate!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

secular woods sex posted:

I did :(

Back to the hate!

Well if it helps, the Mickey Callaway stuff infects at least 3!!! front offices currently (including the Jays front office who basically refused to address it)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Props to California for rejecting a proposition to allow sports betting, if only so you don't have to watch the same DraftKing commercial 700 times every game.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

Sharma put out an article on The Athletic that implies that Cubs have gradually shifted their philosophy to preferring defensive-oriented catchers who can game call and work well with pitchers, none of which Contreras is highly regarded for. It was the reason they got Gomes last year and it sounds like they plan this year to get another catcher in a similar mold. Honestly it kinda sounds like the Cubs have wanted to move on from Contreras for a while. :shrug:

https://theathletic.com/3774283/2022/11/08/willson-contreras-free-agency-return-cubs/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983&redirected=1

This is also the often-given reason the Astros didn't try very hard to get him, namely, that Maldonado's rapport with the pitching staff, which was the strength of the 2022 Astros anyway, was too important to risk

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dusty extension is official:

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1590402134213742593?s=46&t=GPtA5hgTsp4BxY5HkIxGSQ

Crane’s still giving standard noncommittal answers on Click and JV, but mentioned Montero specifically as someone to try and re-sign.

https://twitter.com/JuliaMorales/status/1590407121908035589?s=20&t=dSMcsjcITfvzjihBC-Xh3A

That sounds pretty committal to JV. Click on the other hand....

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Some good news from last night

https://twitter.com/marcuspwhite/status/1590217874446069761

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Lol that winning the World Series only gets you a one-year contract extension from Jim Crane.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Popete posted:

Props to California for rejecting a proposition to allow sports betting, if only so you don't have to watch the same DraftKing commercial 700 times every game.

That doesn’t mean anything. I kept getting Fetterman ads during the World Series and I’m slightly out of his state.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Lol that winning the World Series only gets you a one-year contract extension from Jim Crane.

There’s been rumors that Dusty, Click, and Crane all don’t really get along with each other. If they hadn’t won the WS Crane probably wouldn’t even be talking to either of them about coming back.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AroIdisChapman/status/1590419415073710083

verified so it must be true.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

this was the entire reason I voted against those props

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It should be illegal to advertise sport betting during a sporting event, it seems particularly predatory to get people addicted.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Would hate to be his kid

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Not really sure what more Click could do. He gambled on Peña and won big. He chose right between McCormick and Siri. He got assets for guys that didn’t fit like Siri, Odorizzi, Toro, etc. Good bullpen pickups with Graveman, Montero, And Neris.

It has to be something personal because objectively he’s been nearly perfect at his job.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fast cars loose anus posted:

This is also the often-given reason the Astros didn't try very hard to get him, namely, that Maldonado's rapport with the pitching staff, which was the strength of the 2022 Astros anyway, was too important to risk

It's also why I'm skeptical that the Cardinals are actually going to go in on Contreras. Like don't get me wrong I'm not trying to poo poo on the guy: he's a fantastic dude and a great hitter and a perfectly middling defensive catcher these days, but he's also kinda infamous for bad framing, game calling/planning, and has never gotten much in the way of praise from pitchers outside of Hendricks and Lester. Having him replace Molina of all people feels like it would be way too much of a shock to the system.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Has a GM ever been canned the offseason they won the World Series? I guess Dombrowski was fired the season after the Red Sox won it all.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

speaking of post-election baseball things :lol:

https://twitter.com/LennyDykstra/status/1590407856435576832

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s basically zero chance of Whitley ever figuring things out in a meaningful way. He’ll be another long relief guy at best.

Whitley is one year older than Hunter Brown. He may never figure poo poo out but he's the same age as Framber when Framber still sucked. He's just been in the system so long everyone feels like he 35.

The behind-the-scenes thing with Click is, imo, simply friction between two dudes who don't match up well personality-wise. Jim Crane swears up and down - whether you believe it or not - that he was completely in the dark about 2017 and whether or not he's lying about that he has taken a much, much more hands on role in baseball operations which is always going to lead to clashes with the FO staff (especially since he straight up vetoed the Urquidy for Contreras deal). We've also been shedding FO dudes like crazy, just this year we lost key guys like Oz Ocampo (new Marlins GM) who is a big reason the Astros find so many gems in the Dominican and Cuba and Pete Putila - another bigtime player development guy - got hired away to be GM at SF. Now, it's not that surprising that other clubs want to poach guys from a front office that appears to have wedged the window open, and they were all taking big time promotions to boot. It's not impossible that everything is perfectly copacetic over there but it sounds like some dudes are chafing over the boss sticking his nose in everywhere.

I'm split on it, I think Click was fine but he didn't make any huge marquee moves and I don't think he's irreplaceable. But I am concerned about finding a good candidate when the standard is "A ring isn't enough to save your job"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol I don't trust a single twitter account right now. Head on a swivel for Hot Stove Season, buddies!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nails shooting his shot

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Alright, I wrote a whole lot of words on the Phillies and figured a separate thread would be good for armchair GM'ing and roster predictions and such, rather than posting like 2000 words here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017143

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

It should be illegal to advertise sport betting during a sporting event, it seems particularly predatory to get people addicted.

The FanDuel ads talking about how all of life's decisions are just bets actually feels like the gambling equivalent of a beer commercial saying "come on, I know you're at work, but if you just have a couple to take the edge off you'll be in good shape. a lot of people actually drive better after knockin' back a few"

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The GM meetings are starting and you know what that means

https://twitter.com/ByMcCullough/status/1590437872955707392

https://twitter.com/ByMcCullough/status/1590440808339341312

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1590441167287513088

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wait Boebert lost?!

gently caress yeah!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

Wait Boebert lost?!

gently caress yeah!

She maybe lost. Currently down ~2,000 votes with 95% reporting.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I wish Boras was on Cameo so I could have him do a recording for me to play during my yearly performance review.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The best part of this is that in spanish it says resigned (as in quit) rather than re-signed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/jonweisman/status/1590446201299533825

[img - Moneyball meme]

Edit: Just checked Richie Sexson and oof

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

It's also why I'm skeptical that the Cardinals are actually going to go in on Contreras. Like don't get me wrong I'm not trying to poo poo on the guy: he's a fantastic dude and a great hitter and a perfectly middling defensive catcher these days, but he's also kinda infamous for bad framing, game calling/planning, and has never gotten much in the way of praise from pitchers outside of Hendricks and Lester. Having him replace Molina of all people feels like it would be way too much of a shock to the system.

Contreras desperately hoping for robo umps to boost his value

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/jonweisman/status/1590446201299533825

[img - Moneyball meme]

Edit: Just checked Richie Sexson and oof

Universal DH delenda est.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

Universal DH delenda est.

I don't speak latin but I assume that just means Universal DH rules, because it does

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It means the new market inefficiency is old short DHs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

zoux posted:

It means the new market inefficiency is old short DHs

The smallest DH I can think of is Edgar Martinez, who was 6 feet tall. Molitor was 6' too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

She maybe lost. Currently down ~2,000 votes with 95% reporting.

Still funny even if she squeaks it out because her district is supposed to be very safely red

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

The smallest DH I can think of is Edgar Martinez, who was 6 feet tall. Molitor was 6' too.

Eddie Gaedel

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

When did this knowingly over-the-top hypeman deal become Boras's gimmick? I know he's been doing it for several years now, but was he secretly doing this back in 2000 when he was negotiating A-Rod's record contract, or did he suddenly go "gently caress it, I'm too powerful to fail, let's get weird with it" at like age 65?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

you would be shocked at what an ad break on UK TV during sports is like

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Julio Cruz posted:

Just walk around in any city in the UK or Ireland and there's gambling houses basically everywhere. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

I have watched some UK streams and yeah it's non-stop SkyBet ads.