Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would be mildly funny if they cast like AoS, Iron Fist, Cloak and Dagger, and Inhumans in Secret Invasion and revealed they were all Skrulls so doover!

But I was saying that it’s entire possible that both Bobbi Morse and Laura Barton were Shield agents with the code name Mockingbird and number 19. They’re basically been entirely separate characters to this point besides their comic origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

But I was saying that it’s entire possible that both Bobbi Morse and Laura Barton were Shield agents with the code name Mockingbird and number 19. They’re basically been entirely separate characters to this point besides their comic origin.

As far as we've ever been shown, Laura is a former agent, so it's not unthinkable that SHIELD has had more than one Agent 19. Also Bobbi isn't even Agent 19 anymore since her and Hunter got burned.

There isn't anything inherent in AoS that has been discredited in the other MCU productions, but there's also plenty that was never properly acknowledged, and things split off in such vastly different directions that I could know if they could ever really consolidate the two. But man, I'd love it if they could. So many characters I want to see again. And so many shotguns that need axes attached to them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

they wouldn't have made that a major plot point of the series. Why make all the effort to connect to the Mockingbird character if not to retcon Laura into the role?

I don't really think that's what they were doing, more that they were making it a major plot point that she was an agent, not specifically that she was Mockingbird. I mean I strongly doubt they're ever going to use Mockingbird in the MCU at this point anyways, Laura or not, anyways so I think it's more a fun Easter egg thing that anything

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
bring back mary sue poots, marvel

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It is so funny to me that everyone, from Disney HQ to the common working man, is doing their damnedest to memory hole Iron Fist, and have been since the first episode.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Much like actual comics, AoS can be considered canon up until it isn't. There are inconsistencies between AoS and the MCU, sure, but it's pretty easy to come up with explanations for them in your head that are still way more plausible than any number of retcons comics have done to resolve continuity issues. Back when Wolverine was on every super team, the reaction from readers was "lol this guy must have time management superpowers" and not "this is impossible, so which of these appearances are non canon?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlimGoodbody posted:

It is so funny to me that everyone, from Disney HQ to the common working man, is doing their damnedest to memory hole Iron Fist, and have been since the first episode.

Finn Jones could not win for losing. I don't think he did anything particularly wrong but it was a carnival of incompetence. And happily I think Jeph Loeb is eligible to be blamed in some regard.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Finn Jones was best in the Luke Cage episode where they had those two teamed up and showed how much of a mistake it was to not have them paired together from the start.

But I think everyone would be fine if they just had Jessica Henwick play Colleen Wing as the MCU Iron Fist.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the easy obviously answer to all the continuity stuff is that the TV properties took place in a variant timestream that's almost like the current one, but not quite, so everything that happened in the TV properties definitely happened in the MCU, except for the parts that just so very coincidentally didn't line up completely well.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The reason the TVA has robot detectors is to protect themselves against sentient Chronicoms, and I will not hear a word otherwise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't really matter if the shows are canon or not because nothing worth knowing in the overall storyline ever happened in them anyway.

Even if every second remained canon, you're not missing out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I realize at the end of the day it’s going to come down to “whatever they want to be in continuity, is” , it was more just a fun little thought experience/memory test

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

Finn Jones could not win for losing. I don't think he did anything particularly wrong but it was a carnival of incompetence. And happily I think Jeph Loeb is eligible to be blamed in some regard.

There were an awful lot of things that went wrong with Iron Fist, but imo, the original mistake was making the character part of the Netflix Marvel Universe in the first place. If they weren't able to do much with the supernatural elements inherent to the character - and they clearly weren't, though it's not clear to me whether this was due to budget constraints, a creative remit that the show couldn't deviate too much in tone from the other Netflix Marvel series, or both* - they shouldn't have bothered.

*iirc, there were rumors at the time that Marvel Television couldn't find a showrunner for Iron Fist for the longest time precisely because nobody wanted to make an Iron Fist show where the supernatural elements were limited to a few glowy fist scenes and some expository dialogue. grain of salt, but that would explain how Scott Buck ended up showrunning both Iron Fist S1 and Inhumans in quick succession, and why both were apparently rushed productions

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 9, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Season 1 of Iron Fist started off absolutely terrible and never really got any better. Character motivations and actions made zero loving sense. The plot barely held together with tape and string.

Season 2 tried really, REALLY loving hard to course-correct and I gotta give props to everyone who worked their asses off to make that happen. It really wasn't a terrible season, but was bogged down by trying to fix the issues of the first season. By the end, I did want to see a Season 3, which says a lot of how much they put into Season 2.

I don't think any fault can be put on the actors in Iron Fist, or any Netflix MCU show, and would absolutely be down to see Finn Jones and company in a soft reboot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
bring finn back as cowboy iron fist

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Finn Jones had two problems which can both be easily fixed, and was fine otherwise. They didn't give him nearly enough time for martial arts training or really spend the money on choreography, and Feige would do both. They also had him play the character as a spacey zen hippy, which I assume they did because they thought it was "martial artsy" but it just made him suck and not seem especially like the regular Iron Fist. Change those and it can work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I never even gave Iron Fist a chance but I also didn't really like Luke Cage that much. Needed a bit more pizzazz. Doesn't need to be a Blaxploitation caricature demanding cheddar everywhere he goes but he was still a lot more stoic and reserved for a guy I remember as Harlem's larger-than-life answer to Doc Savage with a chain for a belt. Was he more based off of Bendis' Luke Cage? I only saw bits and pieces off of him in New Avengers.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

theironjef posted:

They also had him play the character as a spacey zen hippy....

I honestly liked that bit and I think they should lean into it (comedically) as a way of differentiating him from Shang Chi who has more of a street vibe MCU.

Lobok posted:

I never even gave Iron Fist a chance but I also didn't really like Luke Cage that much. Needed a bit more pizzazz.

He was alright but I kept waiting for him to tell some kids to pull their pants up, something about Colter was too nice/soft/safe/etc. He just couldn't pull off gangster when he needed to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

*iirc, there were rumors at the time that Marvel Television couldn't find a showrunner for Iron Fist for the longest time precisely because nobody wanted to make an Iron Fist show where the supernatural elements were limited to a few glowy fist scenes and some expository dialogue. grain of salt, but that would explain how Scott Buck ended up showrunning both Iron Fist S1 and Inhumans in quick succession, and why both were apparently rushed productions

It did always feel like the Netflix shows had budgets that came mostly from Jeph Loeb's couch cushion. This worked okay with Daredevil, but not so much the others.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Iron Fist should have been the Funny One. Not sarcastic and tired of this bullshit like Jessica, but just straight up loving the absurdity of the situations he's in. Season 2 was strong, going full on Daughters of the Dragon and the tiny glimpse of our iron fist pistols at the end set us up for a great season 3 I was anticipating.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Wars kicked rear end

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

we're all used to the MCU getting a ton of flak for being too similar in tone, and a lot of that criticism is justified, but honestly, Feige et al's output looks like a model of tonal diversity compared to the Netflix Marvel U and the approach every single goddamn show took of gritty, street-level quasi-realism that minimized anything that might be too overtly fantastical.

This wasn't much of an issue early on, since the early seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones felt refreshingly different from anything coming out of Marvel Studios, but by the time we got to Iron Fist and Defenders, it was clear to me that this uniform tone had become more weakness than strength. I'll admit that Daredevil S3 did a pretty good job within those constraints, though.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Part of that is why they refer to the events of Avengers 1 as “The Incident” and it’s barely mentioned and an intense quiet subject, whereas in reality people would be talking nonstop about an alien invasion and the comic book weirdos who beat the poo poo out of them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
To be fair tho, they kinda started going into that with DD s2, and it was the part everyone hated so maybe that's why?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

To be fair tho, they kinda started going into that with DD s2, and it was the part everyone hated so maybe that's why?

well, they also just did a really bad job with the Hand stuff. the definition of a "Black Sky" wasn't even consistent on a basic level within Daredevil S2 (iirc, midway through the season, it suddenly changes from being implied to be a mystical superweapon in human form that can be cultivated with a lot of time and effort to being an evil Chosen One prophecy about a singular individual), and that's before we get to how Iron Fist S1 and Defenders muddled The Hand even further, leading to the laughable reveal in Defenders, after all the buildup, that the Black Sky is basically just a resurrected human who's slightly better at fighting than when she was alive, with few to no supernatural powers to speak of. I think to some extent that was a symptom of being reined in with respect to the supernatural elements, though of course a lot of it was just bad writing.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 10, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sanschel posted:

Part of that is why they refer to the events of Avengers 1 as “The Incident” and it’s barely mentioned and an intense quiet subject, whereas in reality people would be talking nonstop about an alien invasion and the comic book weirdos who beat the poo poo out of them.

this reminds me that some of the posters and other promo art for the Netflix shows featured Avengers Tower in the Manhattan skyline, but it was never actually shown in establishing shots of Manhattan in the actual series.

In and of itself, this is just a fairly trivial nitpick, but it makes a nice little metaphor for Jeph Loeb's "it's all connected" nonsense versus the reality.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was reminded Jeph Loeb came out dressed not unlike Stingray from Cobra Kai to announce Iron Fist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
haven't seen an official post but people are saying Kevin Conroy died

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

site posted:

Stop.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

site posted:

It's practically impossible to verify given that Twitter is impossible now but I'm seeing that too.

What a bummer, he's my Batman, always has been, always will be.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Supposedly Diane pershing posted this. I'm unable to verify.

It sucks a lot if true.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Well gently caress.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/kevin-conroy-dead-batman-voice-actor-cancer-1235430429/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, his agent and WBD have confirmed it. My heart goes out to his husband and other family. If anyone hasn't read it, I highly recommend the autobiographical comic he did for this year's DC Pride special with J Bone drawing, it's a really honest and moving look at his life and career as a gay man in the height of the AIDS pandemic.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah this sucks. He is the voice of Batman and everyone will always be compared to him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are only two people I acknowledge as being perfect at portraying Bruce Wayne and Batman. Adam West and Kevin Conroy. And now they're both dead. :(

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Jamesman posted:

There are only two people I acknowledge as being perfect at portraying Bruce Wayne and Batman. Adam West and Kevin Conroy. And now they're both dead. :(

Same :(

https://twitter.com/joefisto/status/1591199717459136512?s=46&t=DZtbW3S0ZxklBdU_Yi7_ng

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tonight at my local bar is Kevin Conroy night. I curated a list of BTAS episodes and Mask of the Phantasm.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Jamesman posted:

I had a really happy time watching the gray ghost episode of BTAS yesterday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kingtheninja posted:

I had a really happy time watching the gray ghost episode of BTAS yesterday.

i watched it late last night. i was crying by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
RIP Kevin Conroy.

Jamesman posted:

Season 1 of Iron Fist started off absolutely terrible and never really got any better. Character motivations and actions made zero loving sense. The plot barely held together with tape and string.

Season 2 tried really, REALLY loving hard to course-correct and I gotta give props to everyone who worked their asses off to make that happen. It really wasn't a terrible season, but was bogged down by trying to fix the issues of the first season. By the end, I did want to see a Season 3, which says a lot of how much they put into Season 2.

I don't think any fault can be put on the actors in Iron Fist, or any Netflix MCU show, and would absolutely be down to see Finn Jones and company in a soft reboot.

This is where I landed by the end of things. IF S2 clearly tried really hard and had some fun ideas. I would've liked to see where they went with it.