Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It would be nice if every colony after the first one in the Archonexus quest line had weirder and weirder stuff happen. Exclusive events, exclusive biomes, pawn buffs, new technologies, whatever. Maybe with the in-game explanation that the machine god notices your attempt to get to the nexus and its attention changes the nature of reality more and more the closer you get

But nope, it's just restarting a plain old colony several times in a row. Not really sure what the point of that win condition is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Probably because the optimal strategy for it would be to assemble it, send it, bring it back an disassemble it.

I guess but that's arguably also true of the tunneler unless you plan to use it in combat.

I just think you could add riding and carrying capability to a number of the big mechs, the tunneler, the centipedes etc, things you would build anyway for combat purposes but which you might also want to consider sending on a caravan for the carrying utility. You could keep them quite slow, but make them move ceaselessly if you have one for every pawn that needs to sleep.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 9, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Drop pods take a lot longer to load than a caravan so I only use them for distance or very dense loads (like a raiding party). Caravan loading is just so much more efficient than drop pod loading. If I am actually just trying to sell 200 hats at a nearby outpost while maybe stopping by an ancient complex then that's caravan territory. "Ridable" caravan animals changed this calculation considerably, if you have a couple of horses and a dirt road or better then you can cover a lot of ground pretty quickly

I really like using Roads of the Rim to build out a road network over time and increase my caravan efficiency. Closer runs use caravans, longer ones use SRTS/CPT dropships.

I also like to send smaller strike forces by ground, and air assault more pawns in if I need the extra muscle. This lets me choose the exact landing site, and keep more pawns at base longer so its not undermanned while the groundpounders walk to the target.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Manager Hoyden posted:

It would be nice if every colony after the first one in the Archonexus quest line had weirder and weirder stuff happen. Exclusive events, exclusive biomes, pawn buffs, new technologies, whatever. Maybe with the in-game explanation that the machine god notices your attempt to get to the nexus and its attention changes the nature of reality more and more the closer you get

But nope, it's just restarting a plain old colony several times in a row. Not really sure what the point of that win condition is

After the first time you're switched to 'Arco' a brand new storyteller.

He hates you!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's worth pointing out if you use the TechAdvancing mod, your faction tech level isn't reset. So if you don't get the first map piece until you are at Spacer level, all future research will be that much faster. You are using the "tech below your colony's level gets discounted" option... Right?

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

Motherfucker posted:

If you're a transhumanist type and especially if you live in a polluted biome you never get past it.

Although relying too much on them can sometimes gently caress you up if you get caught out with a bad breakdown and no components.

yea, definitely. i just wanted to point out even though the -4 moodlet isn't ideal there are good times to consider it. i'll use them when i get nervous about a food stockpile before winter too, or when toxic fallout hits. keep a few stacks of fine/lavish meals around you can use them like drugs if you start to get low moods. but if a pawn likes the work they're doing, has enough rec, wearing their favorite color, got some lovin, etc they can be stable with awful meal moodlets even late game with high expectations.

it's also worth considering fine meals with insect meat are net +2 mood. if you were going to let insect corpses rot, cooking them into fine meals is better for any ideology than eating nutrient paste. for both moods and your vegetable stockpile

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So let's say I have a character with a Never Sleep gene who also does not do any crafting work, so they're never laying in bed and never sitting at a crafting table.

What's the best way to passively keep their Comfort up? A nice chair that they sit in to eat is about all I can think of but they only use that when they eat and that alone isn't enough to make them not miss comfort all the time :argh:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kris xK posted:

Dead raiders donate their valuable body parts, their weapons and clothes get recycled or washed, and then anything left over gets turned into chemfuel.
Whoa, can you reap body parts from the dead? I assumed it had to be the living.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Set a few hours to recreation and make some nice chairs to sit at for the TV and chess tables, that's about all I can think of

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nobody in this thread does ANYTHING vanilla :( there's no real coherent sort've 'experience'

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

deep dish peat moss posted:

So let's say I have a character with a Never Sleep gene who also does not do any crafting work, so they're never laying in bed and never sitting at a crafting table.

What's the best way to passively keep their Comfort up? A nice chair that they sit in to eat is about all I can think of but they only use that when they eat and that alone isn't enough to make them not miss comfort all the time :argh:

Recreation as well. Build chess tables and poker tables with big comfy armchairs.

You can also put them on researching or scanning.

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

deep dish peat moss posted:

never been in this situation, but does an operation like extracting hemogen lay them in a hospital bed for the night?

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
I kept seeing people reference 'the forbidden mod' on the subreddit for this game, so I looked up what that was. I thought it would be some Cthulu/necromancy type poo poo?

I'm even more disappointed with humanity than I was yesterday.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Cthulu mod is right there on the workshop, hardly forbidden

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have not heard of "the forbidden mod" but I can take a guess at what it is!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

InventorOfTrees posted:

I kept seeing people reference 'the forbidden mod' on the subreddit for this game, so I looked up what that was. I thought it would be some Cthulu/necromancy type poo poo?

I'm even more disappointed with humanity than I was yesterday.

RimJobWorld? It's clunky and :spergin: but it is responsible for some of the funnier bad bug reports that my workshop items get, as well as some that really feel like I'm staring into the void.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do people move or run multiple settlements often?
I just find a nice spot in the spawn map and hunker down, using whatever is available.

Feels like I'm missing out.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Omnicarus posted:

RimJobWorld? It's clunky and :spergin: but it is responsible for some of the funnier bad bug reports that my workshop items get, as well as some that really feel like I'm staring into the void.

yeah. I just started playing again after a long hiatus due to the DLC dropping, and I was looking through some 'must have' mod lists that came up through google. That one appeared more than once :chloe:

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Inzombiac posted:

I just find a nice spot in the spawn map and hunker down, using whatever is available.

I've always wanted to try a nomad base but I always get to attached to my starting base while I'm in the "collecting resources" faze.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I've always wanted to try a nomad base but I always get to attached to my starting base while I'm in the "collecting resources" faze.

Yeah that's my problem.
If there was a way to get a Mad Max caravan going to haul pretty much everything to a new map, I'd be much more likely to do it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

Nobody in this thread does ANYTHING vanilla :( there's no real coherent sort've 'experience'

:wave:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

How does anyone play without Cannibalism: Accepted?

Sure rice and muffalo is good but there are literally people delivering their meat to you and making furniture out of their skin is economical.

Really, cannibalism is the most green way to play.
I like my current ideoligion- transhumanist individualist, nature primacy. They're good guys- improving humans so they live more comfortably, while respecting the natural world.

Naturally cannibalism is accepted. There's a mod that adds nutrient paste recycling as a funeral option.

Life is hard on the rim. No need to make things harder on ourselves with arbitrary squeamishness. A body is just flesh.

The fun part is that since we're charitable we often accept refugees. These people tend to be inexplicably horrified by our acceptance of natural cycles and the fact that the only food available is nutrient paste made mostly from the remains of folks we had to kill in self defense. Eventually they'll throw a tantrum because we "butchered dozens of people" and they'll have to be locked away to prevent them from harming themselves or others. After some gentle rehabilitation they usually come around.

100% good guy cannibal run. Just, don't ask what we did with all the human skin and where that pile of silver came from. No need to waste anything on the rim.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Inzombiac posted:

Nah, the game mechanics are suuuuuper not set up for nomadic play. 97% of the content expects you to have stationary infrastructure. Multiple settlements don't really add much and they're very demanding on your PC. I'll sometimes make temporary camps in other biomes if I want to tame a bunch of exotic animals, but nothing else in the game is biome-specific so there's no advantage to moving.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

jokes on you, I modded your attitude out've my game. :colbert:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah sorry, basically everything in my post was a mod. This one is "Autopsy Table"

Yes, its overpowered.

InventorOfTrees posted:

yeah. I just started playing again after a long hiatus due to the DLC dropping, and I was looking through some 'must have' mod lists that came up through google. That one appeared more than once :chloe:

I tried it on 1.3 and I dont really get the appeal. Even when trying to make an Amazonian Snu-Snu tribe from Futurama it really wasnt worth it. Actually, I do get the appeal, I just dont want to think about it.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah that's my problem.
If there was a way to get a Mad Max caravan going to haul pretty much everything to a new map, I'd be much more likely to do it.

I'm really hoping VE: Vehicles (or whatever its called) will allows us to do this.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Inzombiac posted:

I wound up doing this in my current play through. I’m going for the Journey to the Stars win and packed up everything for the 17 day journey leaving my well established (was building marine armor) base behind.

I raided 3 raiders camps on the way, taking all their food and hunting the map clean while people healed up. However I ran out of food with 2 days to go to get to the ship so I’ve stopped and setup a temp camp to wait out the winter (the ship is in tundra biome). It’s certainly reliving the early game again, but with good pawns and real weapons.

I can see a “conquest mode” soft win condition where you do the nomadic thing eating up settlements and stopping to build up food/letting people heal up but you are basically froze out of research and anything that can’t be packed up to go to the next place.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Eiba posted:

100% good guy cannibal run. Just, don't ask what we did with all the human skin and where that pile of silver came from. No need to waste anything on the rim.

That's how I play!

We accept and protect the downtrodden, reject authority and consume those that would harm us.

Bud, if you didn't want me to eat stew out of your skull you shoulda left me alone to tend to my strawberries.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Everyones always 'cannibalism this' and 'organ arbitrage that' but when I make a kuru and organ rejection mod they downvote it on reddit :(

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Naramyth posted:

I wound up doing this in my current play through. I’m going for the Journey to the Stars win and packed up everything for the 17 day journey leaving my well established (was building marine armor) base behind.

I raided 3 raiders camps on the way, taking all their food and hunting the map clean while people healed up. However I ran out of food with 2 days to go to get to the ship so I’ve stopped and setup a temp camp to wait out the winter (the ship is in tundra biome). It’s certainly reliving the early game again, but with good pawns and real weapons.

I can see a “conquest mode” soft win condition where you do the nomadic thing eating up settlements and stopping to build up food/letting people heal up but you are basically froze out of research and anything that can’t be packed up to go to the next place.

This sounds like fun.

There is a mod that allows you to minify (uninstall) everything so if you have enough pack animals you could theoretically carry a good amount of your base with you and set up mobile outposts along the way to craft, restock before moving on.

I've always been intrigued by the Journey to the Stars win con, maybe I'll set that as a mid-late game goal for my next playthrough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should be able to attach more organs to people.

Like, if you can graft on arms and legs and organs freely I don't see why you have to be limited to just one. Why do I have to cut an arm off to add a bionic one? Why can I not make kidneyman, the man with a dozen kidneys who can shoot a piss laser across the field and destroys all disease instantly.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Like, if you can graft on arms and legs and organs freely I don't see why you have to be limited to just one. Why do I have to cut an arm off to add a bionic one? Why can I not make kidneyman, the man with a dozen kidneys who can shoot a piss laser across the field and destroys all disease instantly.

Unironically agree, lemee make a meatball of limbs and give him twenty cow hearts to pump all the blood necessary to maintain that many limbs (and the many many guns therein)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OwlFancier posted:

You're gonna make a colony of Invader Zims and I wanna see it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Eiba posted:

I like my current ideoligion- transhumanist individualist, nature primacy. They're good guys- improving humans so they live more comfortably, while respecting the natural world

Naturally cannibalism is accepted. There's a mod that adds nutrient paste recycling as a funeral option.

Life is hard on the rim. No need to make things harder on ourselves with arbitrary squeamishness. A body is just flesh.

The fun part is that since we're charitable we often accept refugees. These people tend to be inexplicably horrified by our acceptance of natural cycles and the fact that the only food available is nutrient paste made mostly from the remains of folks we had to kill in self defense. Eventually they'll throw a tantrum because we "butchered dozens of people" and they'll have to be locked away to prevent them from harming themselves or others. After some gentle rehabilitation they usually come around.

I have to try this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is that mod, I think Evolved Organs, that added like extra arms and poo poo you could graft onto people, but genuinely it would be neat if you could just add an extra heart, liver, lung etc with some tech and maybe glitter meds and high medicine skill, just to give pawns a bit of a backup in case of damage.

Being able to wield more weapons would be really cool too. Could be incorporated with a general "number of hands" rework for weapons so you can use a pistol and a sword at the same time, or two swords, sword and shield, two pistols etc.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

There is that mod, I think Evolved Organs, that added like extra arms and poo poo you could graft onto people, but genuinely it would be neat if you could just add an extra heart, liver, lung etc with some tech and maybe glitter meds and high medicine skill, just to give pawns a bit of a backup in case of damage.

Being able to wield more weapons would be really cool too. Could be incorporated with a general "number of hands" rework for weapons so you can use a pistol and a sword at the same time, or two swords, sword and shield, two pistols etc.

Rimworld / Caves of Qud crossover when?

6 hands and a grenade in each one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hell yeah, I do think a lot of weapons are a bit superfluous at the moment so adding in more use cases for some of them would help i think.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

OwlFancier posted:

raiders get through the walls of your base to be confronted with this:

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Am having great fun currently with Biotech, though I do wonder, is there a way to slow child aging so that it is concurrent with the adult aging rate? I know it's not a common request but I like the idea of aging in a normal sense. Is there a devtool slider or the like?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

plaintiff posted:

Am having great fun currently with Biotech, though I do wonder, is there a way to slow child aging so that it is concurrent with the adult aging rate? I know it's not a common request but I like the idea of aging in a normal sense. Is there a devtool slider or the like?

It is literally a slider in the storyteller settings. In your current game go to options > gameplay > storyteller then scroll down to the bottom left, it's set to 400% by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

holy moley do war queens loving rule. Its not that war urchins are particularly deadly on their own merits but the distraction and friendlyfire they inspire can wipe whole waves alone.