Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

zoux posted:

Next ep is supposed to be an interlude one right? I would not be surprised to see Kino in the Razer Torture Gaming Headset at the hands of Dedra next episode, and revealing that Keev was Casssian.

Robot Style posted:

I think it's straight into the final arc - there's only 2 episodes left, both directed by Benjamin Caron.

Yea, 2 part finale!! Its written by Tony Gilroy too

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The internal journey of serkis' character going from living in captivity to open rebellion was chef kiss story telling.

Not to mention that this season has given us so much that it puts other shows to shame

1. The politics of living in a corrupt police state
2. The complacency of the aristocracy with respect to the atrocities of fascism
3. The horrors of incarcerated slave labor
4. The obvious message that you can't just debate an authoritarian regime, you have to fight it with your very life
5. A tense and gripping money heist with actual stakes and consequences beyond spectacle
6. A clear statement about how insecure males cover fascism and fascist figures to make up for their social failings

And the list goes on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The prison break could've been so much worse. I worried that closing the hydro gens would've immediately started sinking the prison and you'd start seeing those lights go out as people drowned.

Also, for as many people who creepily lauded how "well-designed" the prison was, leave it to the Empire to foster unit cohesion and loyalty amongst prisoners to the point where every prisoner, regardless of room, had a kinship and knew how to handle themselves.

Also, pretty sure the reason New Guy was so down from the jump is that he was another "recycle."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 9, 2022

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Okay, someone mentioning that this was originally planned as 4 and is now compressed into 2 during/after production of this season makes a whole lot of sense. Because like, really. 1-5 could and honestly should have been like 2 1/2 episodes. Little would be lost and you'd get to the really interesting stuff going on and sequential bangers in the back half. Prison arc was totally right in terms of length, and I haven't felt any of the other arcs drag like they did in the front half.

Skars' speech at the end did seem practiced. Guy switches identities, and is basically always 'on' in terms of putting on a show, convincing people to take the paths he wants. Is shown to be an expert at this. The only bit in that whole monologue wrt himself that I can be like ' yeah, that's likely fully true' is what he says did with his mind. Assuming his mind wasn't always just like that anyway. He's keeping his piece in play. If he's willing to sacrifice dudes so callously, no way is he letting this increasingly nervous double agent get any kind of true insight to who he is. That's not how you play the game he's playing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, pretty sure the reason New Guy was so down from the jump is that he was another "recycle."

I don't think he'd be quivering in terror when he's first introduced if he was a recycle.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The prison break could've been so much worse. I worried that closing the hydro gens would've immediately started sinking the prison and you'd start seeing those lights go out as people drowned.

Also, for as many people who creepily lauded how "well-designed" the prison was, leave it to the Empire to foster unit cohesion and loyalty amongst prisoners to the point where every prisoner, regardless of room, had a kinship and knew how to handle themselves.

that or he was a real sicko :sickos:

like man you don't even wanna know what he did

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

evenworse username posted:

I kind of hope we never see Kino again (despite how good the actor is). That moment with him on the landing pad, stopping because he can't swim, and Cassian getting pushed over the edge before he can figure out what to do about it is so good. I think it's more effective to leave us wondering if he ended up jumping in to try to make it, if he found another way to get away, went back to blast the rest of the guards ... we just don't know.

Yeah just have an ISB goon go "okay so X number escaped, Y died, Z were recaptured" and never establish who made it out (except Cassian and Melshi, obviously)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Take that, everyone who said they were making parts to have them disassembled on another floor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just like they'll never show us what they were making on the assembly line, i think it's better storytelling and does kino's character more of a service if we never see him again

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

i say swears online posted:

just like they'll never show us what they were making on the assembly line, i think it's better storytelling and does kino's character more of a service if we never see him again

Its wild that Andy Serkis just barreled his way into this show as a midseason guest character for 3 episodes and gave us a full, satisfying, complete, tragic story arc. Him deciding to lead the revolution knowing he wouldn't be able to get out at the end and Cass getting knocked down before he has a chance to do anything about it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1090142/a...sive-interview/

Also here is another article on the VFX, this time for Aldhani

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I kind of hope we never see Kino again (despite how good the actor is). That moment with him on the landing pad, stopping because he can't swim, and Cassian getting pushed over the edge before he can figure out what to do about it is so good. I think it's more effective to leave us wondering if he ended up jumping in to try to make it, if he found another way to get away, went back to blast the rest of the guards ... we just don't know.

Agreed. I don't need a comic book or side novel about the further adventures of Kino. I see it as he got what he wanted,freedom even if its momentary, and paralleling Luthen's speech he's planted the tree he will never see by helping people get free as well. Someone mention that the Rebel uniforms in the original trilogy looks closely like the prison uniform and one can see it the Rebel taking it as inspiration as their battle dress, kinda like the sans-culottes. Kino could be one of the unsung hero's the Rebellion the galaxy will never know of,who provided fresh recruits with a jail break. At one point he was smiling/holding back laughter when he said he couldn't swim.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 9, 2022

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Stellan Skarsgard really is one of the best living actors. Its impressive how he made a simple dialogue scene easily the most compelling part of an extended prison break sequence episode.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

Agreed. I don't need a comic book or side novel about the further adventures of Kino. I see it as he got what he wanted,freedom even if its momentary, and paralleling Luthen's speech he's planted the tree he will never see by helping people get free as well. Someone mention that the Rebel uniforms in the original trilogy looks closely like the prison uniform; Kino could be one of the unsung hero's the Rebellion the galaxy will never know of,who provided fresh recruits with a jail break.

Nice to think that some random guy from the prison break may have ended up as a dude in the Yavin IV control room or whatever

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
At the risk of repeating myself though, god drat.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think it's really important to his character arc that he just ends then and there. He's been saying "one way out" since the start of the prison break; he decided to help all his fellow prisoners escape knowing that he couldn't do the same. It would cheapen his brilliant but brief arc to find out that he somehow got out after all—that he "earned" a happy ending. Andor is not that kind of show, and I think it's the better for it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone here who has been blown away by Skarsgard (and the production design) has seen Chernobyl, yes?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

zoux posted:

Everyone here who has been blown away by Skarsgard (and the production design) has seen Chernobyl, yes?

Yeah.

It's not great, not terrible.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah.

It's not great, not terrible.

I had mixed feelings about it on the whole but it'd 100% worth watching just for Skarsgard and Jared Harris

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

Everyone who has been blown away by Skarsgård would also describe Tupolev's crew in The Hunt for Red October.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He was a bit of an arrogant rear end in that movie

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah.

It's great

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lobok posted:

Everyone who has been blown away by Skarsgård would also describe Tupolev's crew in The Hunt for Red October.

I wish they'd kept the book ending where Red October dispatches the Konovalov by *ramming* it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah but have y'all seen Skarsgard in the Thor movies?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
everyone quote editing the guy saying chernobyl not great, not terrible obv needs to rewatch it again lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jerkface posted:

"And what do you sacrifice?"

"Calm.
Kindness.
Kinship.
Love.
I've given up all chance at inner peace.
I've made my mind a sunless space.
I share my dreams with ghosts.
I wake up every day to an equation I wrote 15 years ago from which there's only one conclusion: I'm damned for what I do.
My anger, my ego, my unwillingness to yield, my eagerness to fight, they've set me on a path from which there is no escape.
I yearned to be a savior against injustice without contemplating the cost and by the time I looked down there was no longer any ground beneath my feet.
What is my sacrifice?
I'm condemned to use the tools of my enemy to defeat them.
I burn my decency for someone else's future.
I burn my life to make a sunrise that I know I'll never see.
And the ego that started this fight will never have a mirror or an audience or the light of gratitude.
So what do I sacrifice?
Everything!
You'll stay with me, Lonni.
I need all the heroes I can get."

goddamn luthen

also jyn and cass literally burn their lives and die to a false sunrise to help the rebellion defeat the empire i mean this whole speech is rogue one thesis

I was listening to his speech and just couldn't help myself but compare this 'realistic' Rebellion with the OG trilogy Rebellion (and dying of laughter in my inner mind as end result), where the Deaths Stars are basically destroyed by the hands a few plucky adventurers: a princess with attitude, a smuggler with a heart of gold and a starry-eyed young hero. The contrasts is just. too. much.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/jgrebes/status/1590462657974321152

:cawg:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wish they'd kept the book ending where Red October dispatches the Konovalov by *ramming* it.

Like when DeNiro tackles Skarsgård over the railing in Ronin!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

They only allude to it in the episode but Luthen calls Lonni's double agency "epic" and its meant in the literary sense and lmao there is an entire other prestige tv show just happening in the background of Andor where this guy is living his double life in the very heart of the imperial spy apparatus.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jerkface posted:

They only allude to it in the episode but Luthen calls Lonni's double agency "epic" and its meant in the literary sense and lmao there is an entire other prestige tv show just happening in the background of Andor where this guy is living his double life in the very heart of the imperial spy apparatus.

I would 100% watch the spinoff Tinker Tailor Stormtrooper Spy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Even the wife is impressed. She did bring up a good point though. Why no alien prisoners? Lord knows the empire are just space republicans so we know that they are racist. Small details.

The only other thing so far from the whole season that kinda made me go uhhh was the cutting of the water pipe, especially when he is really giving it to it at the end, even with the working going on you'd think someone might hear. Sorry to nitpick.

I went to suggested after going back to the menu and saw Obi Wan. I forgot that loving show came out. I was apologetic of Boba Fett but it wasn't really close to Mando and this blows Mando out of the galaxy all together.

Everyone is doing loving great, but imagine if this kind of writing was on offer when we had Cushing, Guiness and Lee to work with. Ultimate glass half empty take, but it just rubs more salt in the wounds of the prequels and basically everything else post RotJ, how much better it could have been.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

codo27 posted:

Even the wife is impressed. She did bring up a good point though. Why no alien prisoners? Lord knows the empire are just space republicans so we know that they are racist. Small details.

From a production standpoint, for the tone they are going for you are really rolling the dice once you start having the affecting, incredible dialogue scenes and one guy is in a rubber monster mask.

From an in-universe standpoint, segregation is not only the implicit Imperial policy for racist reasons, it makes "practical" utilitarian sense for a labor facility. You don't have to make any accommodations for fins or flippers or three fingers or 3 meter tall creatures if you build your prison strictly for humans. I simply assume all of the non-humans are at different, worse labor camps.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

codo27 posted:

The only other thing so far from the whole season that kinda made me go uhhh was the cutting of the water pipe, especially when he is really giving it to it at the end, even with the working going on you'd think someone might hear. Sorry to nitpick.

the whole point is that it's impossible for the guards to pay attention to everything. they'd only notice if he overstayed his bathroom break

similar to college jobs where I'd go smoke weed in my car but I was never late

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

codo27 posted:

Why no alien prisoners? Lord knows the empire are just space republicans so we know that they are racist. Small details.

They divided up people by home planet before sending them off in the prison transports. Having only humans means you only have to stock human gruel, they only have to calibrate the floors for human bodies, and the prison cubicles only need human toilets. All the tools are on a human scale and it's all designed around the individuals being replaceable identical cogs.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

codo27 posted:

Industrial genocide at worst. It's supposedly easy to dismiss by the general populace once it is setup like a factory out of sight if anecdotes from Nazi Germany are worth anything. Their racism probably would delegate non-humans to more menial physical labor such as mining in the best case. So, the cheery thought being that the hell we became acquainted with was merely one of the lesser ones in that scenario. lol. lmao.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I second the goon who wants Kino left in a superposition where the soft hearted can imagine him somehow still getting away, and others can shed a tear at that thematically perfect self-sacrifice. Sadly I don't think people like ambiguity and even if Gilroy does that, some dickhead will make a comic book about him surviving and becoming glup shitto's stepfather.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/KevKoeser/status/1590422264998420480

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

I second the goon who wants Kino left in a superposition where the soft hearted can imagine him somehow still getting away, and others can shed a tear at that thematically perfect self-sacrifice. Sadly I don't think people like ambiguity and even if Gilroy does that, some dickhead will make a comic book about him surviving and becoming glup shitto's stepfather.

as long as it's not in the next fourteen episodes i'm cool with it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The best thing about Kino is that if you're of darkest mind you can imagine he is left behind, giving himself up for the freedom of others. Or worse, dives in anyways and dies in the water. The optimistic can go back to his speech, about seeing the lost and confused and to help them push forward, and imagine the prisoners doing the same for him at that moment and pulling him to shore.

I hope we never see him again in a million years.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

It's honestly shocking the slop we've been putting up with. Andor is going to ruin the next 5 Disney Star Wars shows for me unless the rest step their game up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Owlbear Camus posted:

From a production standpoint, for the tone they are going for you are really rolling the dice once you start having the affecting, incredible dialogue scenes and one guy is in a rubber monster mask.

This, and also the series is being faithful to the original movies. In A New Hope there wasn't much alien representation in the Empire or Rebellion. Are there any in that scene explaining the mission against the Death Star? Chewie is an alien obviously but isn't really a Rebel until the end.