Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Anyone see that russian bernie meme and suddenly get the strong urge to believe that human beings have a right to medical care? that poo poo was WILD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Once again, (threats of) direct action gets the goods, even if that's just to force them to back off.

I share some of the ambivalence though. Returning to the status quo isn't really what I'd call a "gain," but this confidence and spirit of cooperation can be carried forward.

Lord knows we need it desperately.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I feel like this could go either way at this point. Ford can still gently caress them over. But who knows what's going on behind closed doors. It's pretty atypical to stop a strike without signing a collective agreement. But it wasn't a legal strike either, and Ford probably would have won in court.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

RBC posted:

I feel like this could go either way at this point. Ford can still gently caress them over. But who knows what's going on behind closed doors. It's pretty atypical to stop a strike without signing a collective agreement. But it wasn't a legal strike either, and Ford probably would have won in court.

they were calling it a “political demonstration” and not a strike for a reason. they have ended the protest not a strike. because it wasn’t a strike. it was a protest. this is likely a legal strategy they specifically chose to make as political protest is not subject to the notwithstanding clause and it gives the courts a way to side with them over the government

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
One weird trick to FOOL judges into supporting your labour rights!

Uh, no.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

RBC posted:

One weird trick to FOOL judges into supporting your labour rights!

Uh, no.

it wasn’t a strike. they were very clear about that. we are calling it that. but that wasn’t what it was

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
wow doug ford bought some more time so he can do divide and conquer. i love canada

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

one day of ramping towards something resembling a general strike and they caved?

This is pretty much how Doug Ford operates. he does something unimaginably stupid and people get mad and he backs off and then everyone forgets by next election all the stupid poo poo he did

like cutting funding for therapy for autistic kids, or all the poorly timed lockdowns with zero warning given to health units or school boards through the pandemic, a bunch of poo poo with the healthcare system before the pandemic, and probably lots of other stuff ive forgotten

next up is telling everyone he would not touch green belt land and is now carving out a huge chunk of green belt land east of scarborough and markham because he absolutely will do anything developers tell him

basically this tweet but it actually works

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656

honestly it's a pretty effective way to govern when you're a neoconservative: constantly probe for poo poo you can cut and privatize, give up right away when there's pushback and just go hog wild when people are too tired or too indifferent to get mad about it

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/bradmillscan/status/1589810716374339584?t=s3-WOUyW1YCzNs9wFQWGNw&s=19

gently caress this gay earth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

lmao everything and everyone is stupid

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
iirc most of the big public or public-adjacent pension funds have VC or other wild west investing division where they can just eat the losses. i assume this is saying they invested $400m which is a lot and embarrassing but also a drop in the bucket, some of these funds are gigantic

i love the replies when pensions come up with finance and tech guys. "predatory pension company" "ponzi scheme" wow turns out everyone is a gigantic communist when they get jealous of the big institutional investors

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Nov 8, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

looked at bre-x and nortel and said "hold my beer"

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
was this one on that list of world renowned Canadian companies?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unfortunately that list significantly predates FTX and the crypto revolution

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
gently caress the ontario teachers pension fund

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's been loving itself just fine for years

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Dreylad posted:

This is pretty much how Doug Ford operates. he does something unimaginably stupid and people get mad and he backs off and then everyone forgets by next election all the stupid poo poo he did

like cutting funding for therapy for autistic kids, or all the poorly timed lockdowns with zero warning given to health units or school boards through the pandemic, a bunch of poo poo with the healthcare system before the pandemic, and probably lots of other stuff ive forgotten

Anyone remember getting mad about slashing funding for bilingualism lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

wtf does any of this mean

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pension fund got hella scammed

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Celsius is a big dumb crypto scam that recently blew up spectacularly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

crypto scam

but you repeat yourself

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

CLAM DOWN posted:

investment has risks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A half million immigrant with “no impact on housing” is pouring fuel on the fire of surging right wing populism as well as more effort dedicated to driving wages down rather than improving the birthrate, so the Liberals are going to get what they want, one way or another.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Dreylad posted:

iirc most of the big public or public-adjacent pension funds have VC or other wild west investing division where they can just eat the losses. i assume this is saying they invested $400m which is a lot and embarrassing but also a drop in the bucket, some of these funds are gigantic

i love the replies when pensions come up with finance and tech guys. "predatory pension company" "ponzi scheme" wow turns out everyone is a gigantic communist when they get jealous of the big institutional investors

nah the total from all those companies is 400m so really it was probably a fraction of that. there were 68 total investors.

Starks has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Nov 9, 2022

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Starks posted:

nah the total from all those companies is 400m so really it was probably a fraction of that. there were 68 total investors.

$400M is the valuation, so some fraction of ~10-25%. The teachers will recover.

VVV: :laffo:

Crow Buddy has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Nov 9, 2022

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
gotta break a few nest eggs to make a fundomelette

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I never realized that 680 NEWS is basically Facebook boomer radio, mainly because I never listened to it. They had a caller arguing that kids lungs were expanding and contracting depending on whether a mask mandate was in effect, AND THE HOST AGREED and added it was all about k0nTrOL, actually.

I think know why my boomer colleagues are all in for vaccine conspiracies now. it’s coming from the air

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And Legault won reelection anyway lol.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Canadian AM radio is wild. Listening to drive time AM radio was why I had a sinking feeling we were never going to do anything about covid as small business after small businesses called in.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Starks posted:

ah okay. yeah this is pretty much nothing. teacher's pension plan total assets is over $200 billion

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

i'd guess it was a token investment to say 'see? we're branching out', or maybe humouring one or two particularly stupid portfolio managers. here's hoping it's finally the end of dumb-as-doornails managers going 'crypto? crypto?' like those seagulls from Finding Nemo

Bleu has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Nov 9, 2022

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/bradmillscan/st...ingawful.com%2F

Hahahaha gently caress imma have to examine what our pension is in I swear if I find any buttcoin adjacent bullshit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

https://twitter.com/bradmillscan/st...ingawful.com%2F

Hahahaha gently caress imma have to examine what our pension is in I swear if I find any buttcoin adjacent bullshit

scroll up bithc

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
at least with Celsius the CdpQ owes up and said “yeah we got a risky weird investments division that does a fraction of our investments and we got washed out for a couple of millions, it happens sometimes”

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/CTVToronto/status/1590404235891703808

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

incredible

quote:

“Do you know what's even worse than Section 33? Is threatening to go on strike, shut down the economy of Ontario, keep parents at home, keep the kids at home, you know, keep the grandparents—as they’re getting unloaded at the grandparent's house, that's so much more dangerous than Section 33,” Ford said at an unrelated news conference on Wednesday.

[...]

"But when you have a union sitting there telling you that they're going on strike before I even mentioned it [Section 33]. They're going on strike no matter what it is, and you have no option, but to sit back and utilize the tool,” Ford said Wednesday.

:hmmyes:

The man has clearly learned his lesson here.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 06:29 on Nov 10, 2022

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

What a loving crybaby.

I hope he talks himself into pulling the trigger so we can stop pretending and enter the "find out" phase

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

please let there be a general strike caused by the coward Doug ford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the english are poisoned by decorum. its took 17 years of Charles I's bullshit before people took up arms against him