Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

I mean, I love Andor better, it's one of the better things on tv this year but both are valid ways to make a Star Wars show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
We know at the very least that wookies were segregated into their own labour camps by the Empire. They don't seem to like mixed groups.

I imagine they'd think a mixed group of prisoners would be too unpredictable, they seem to like setting up different solutions to managing prisoner populations. Apparently in the current EU they had everyone on Kashyyyk fitted with inhibitor chips.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

codo27 posted:

Even the wife is impressed. She did bring up a good point though. Why no alien prisoners? Lord knows the empire are just space republicans so we know that they are racist. Small details.

The only other thing so far from the whole season that kinda made me go uhhh was the cutting of the water pipe, especially when he is really giving it to it at the end, even with the working going on you'd think someone might hear. Sorry to nitpick.

I went to suggested after going back to the menu and saw Obi Wan. I forgot that loving show came out. I was apologetic of Boba Fett but it wasn't really close to Mando and this blows Mando out of the galaxy all together.

Everyone is doing loving great, but imagine if this kind of writing was on offer when we had Cushing, Guiness and Lee to work with. Ultimate glass half empty take, but it just rubs more salt in the wounds of the prequels and basically everything else post RotJ, how much better it could have been.

Aliens get sent to Kessel, or the Death Star construction sites, or some other obvious hard labor hell hole with shackles and tons of guards. Humans get sent to the "less invasive" prisons were they can have incentives and the false hope of eventual release dangled in front of them to control them with fewer guards. Try telling a Wookie, an Aqualish, or a Devaronian that the Empire will let them go at the end of their sentence and they will laugh in your face. Hope is an essential component of Nirkana's prison system, and without that hope it collapses. You couldn't send a Wookie there because they have no hope of the Empire's Speciesist system bending in their favour for once, while a human can have that hope.

quote:

The best thing about Kino is that if you're of darkest mind you can imagine he is left behind, giving himself up for the freedom of others. Or worse, dives in anyways and dies in the water. The optimistic can go back to his speech, about seeing the lost and confused and to help them push forward, and imagine the prisoners doing the same for him at that moment and pulling him to shore.

I hope we never see him again in a million years.

I choose to believe that he lived, that somewhere up the beach a mile or two some other escapees got Kino to shore and are staggering in the other direction than Cassian and Melshi went in.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yannick_B posted:

I mean, I love Andor better, it's one of the better things on tv this year but both are valid ways to make a Star Wars show.

True true but its just a very very funny juxtaposition. I mean play with your toys sure, but lets get the quality of the writing, plotting, acting and production up to this level too. And the writing doesn't have to be as dramatic as it is in Andor, you can make snappy adventure tier writing.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
never picked up on it until today, but putting all the prisoners in rebel alliance colours was a really nice touch.

dirtbags get it done.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

boo boo bear posted:

never picked up on it until today, but putting all the prisoners in rebel alliance colours was a really nice touch.

dirtbags get it done.

The prisoners, the scrap workers too.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I also just realised on rewatch that the prisoners are breaking out of the imperial seal, now that's symbolism

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rebel Alliance understands the importance of hi viz safety colors. And hand rails.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Paracausal posted:

The prisoners, the scrap workers too.

Tying the working class costuming in to the rebellion in fabric + coloring is great. Lets reduce the gosh dang monarchism inherent in the alliance to restore the republic.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

hope that's where the colours wind up being from in the end. one group of posh assholes designing logos with an eagle or swan or who gives a gently caress, then you've got a bunch of thugs and shitheads who don't wanna change their shirt.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Did the Rebel symbol originate with Phoenix Cell? Either way it's better than the dumbass Force Unleashed explanation

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I deeply hope (and it could never be admitted) the orange is just making fun of Disney World's windowless prison Luxury Star Wars Hotel

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Episode owned. Stellen Skarsgard owns as always

10/10

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did anyone else think the people in the tower were prisoners too? Their shirts were the exact same pattern and they seemed like cowards. But I think if they were someone would have been like, “Fruta you traitorous bastard!”

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
It was a good moment but personally I've never understood how anyone can't swim. Just look at what the other guys who already jumped are doing and do that too.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

What is the cost of lies sacrifice?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Did anyone else think the people in the tower were prisoners too? Their shirts were the exact same pattern and they seemed like cowards. But I think if they were someone would have been like, “Fruta you traitorous bastard!”

Oh no, they're the middle managers of fascism who never have to face the physical or moral repercussions of their actions and who experience the sum total of their infliction of suffering as numbers and dots on a screen. It hugely undercuts the message of the show to have them be overt prisoners and also they probably would have brought it up under gunpoint.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It was a good moment but personally I've never understood how anyone can't swim. Just look at what the other guys who already jumped are doing and do that too.

There's a lot of muscle memory involved in swimming. Once you learn how it's very difficult to forget, but the learning part can be tricky, especially if you're older. I imagine someone who spent their entire life on Tatooine would have a pretty rough time of it, maybe Kino is from a similarly arid world?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

You must have learned to swim when you were younger, hehe. As a teen or even adult it’s terrifying jumping in a pool let alone a giant ocean.

Hell, even when I learned to swim I couldn’t jump off a boat until much later in life.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

From that height, the jump will put you several feet under. Not being able to swim means... you're not surfacing. Ever.

Its a real shame this season is so good. It means the executives will get involved and season 2 and 3 will be meddled with, muddled and disappointing.

But at least for one shining moment, we've been able to see how good it could be.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Vintersorg posted:

You must have learned to swim when you were younger, hehe. As a teen or even adult it’s terrifying jumping in a pool let alone a giant ocean.

Hell, even when I learned to swim I couldn’t jump off a boat until much later in life.

Yeah my parents had a pool so I learned to swim super young so I wouldn't drown in it. I get that people not being able to do it is a thing it's just sort of confusing to me. Lots of animals that live on land can swim and no one teaches them how to do it.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

no one on tatooine has ever had a swimming lesson, I'm sure they're not alone in the galaxy.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I think something like half of all humans can't swim at all. 80% of Americans claim to be able to swim, but according to (an admittedly out-of-date) Red Cross survey in 2014, 46% couldn't swim well enough to save their lives if they found themselves suddenly in deep water. Given the relative poverty of a bunch of planets in the empire, and prevalence of single-biome worlds, it's more surprising that so many prisoners could swim.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Moreau posted:

From that height, the jump will put you several feet under. Not being able to swim means... you're not surfacing. Ever.

Its a real shame this season is so good. It means the executives will get involved and season 2 and 3 will be meddled with, muddled and disappointing.

But at least for one shining moment, we've been able to see how good it could be.

You also have a bunch of other people jumping in around and possibly on top of you. I'm sure there were more than a few people who were dragged under by someone panicking.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Uhhh of course Kino got out…. he’s gotta transform into Snoke after all!!!!!!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think something like half of all humans can't swim at all. 80% of Americans claim to be able to swim, but according to (an admittedly out-of-date) Red Cross survey in 2014, 46% couldn't swim well enough to save their lives if they found themselves suddenly in deep water. Given the relative poverty of a bunch of planets in the empire, and prevalence of single-biome worlds, it's more surprising that so many prisoners could swim.

A bunch of them were arrested in Space Jacksonville tbf

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Throwing is way simpler than swimming and that has to be learned, too. Even when you already know how to do it with the other arm.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Moreau posted:

It was going to be 5 seasons but Gilroy gave up and converted the 4 into the 4 arcs of Season 2, and will end before Rogue One. It's also the worst performing Star Wars TV series. It'll be fine.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

A bunch of them were arrested in Space Jacksonville tbf

Only some of them were sent to Narkina 5 though, the guys building widgets on not-Mustafar probably would have had a trickier time escaping.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Thank God this show is a ratings failure, can you imagine how awful it would be if it was to be stretched out forever

Mando season 2 was already pretty bad

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
I'm going to say Kino jumped because in his mind he was already dead. No opinion on if he survived or not though. The shore looked a long way away for even someone who is pretty good at swimming.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Justin Credible posted:

Okay, someone mentioning that this was originally planned as 4 and is now compressed into 2 during/after production of this season makes a whole lot of sense. Because like, really. 1-5 could and honestly should have been like 2 1/2 episodes. Little would be lost and you'd get to the really interesting stuff going on and sequential bangers in the back half. Prison arc was totally right in terms of length, and I haven't felt any of the other arcs drag like they did in the front half.

I disagree, especially on rewatch. Those initial episodes establish so much about the show and its universe by delving deep and taking a realist (in the old British kitchen sink drama sense of the word) approach to the material. It shows several facets of the society, politics, and local perspectives on the empire. You absolutely need to slowly unveil the world so what you see later has social context. In fact, on re-watch, I found the earlier episodes more dramatically awarding than the middle arc and found the heist more tropey and genre-typical than the beginning, as well done as it was. In terms of establishing what Andor is and makes it different from typical SW, those early episodes do the job they need to do by taking it slow and lingering on the details.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 10, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

I was honestly thinking they were going for escape ships but clearly the imps designed it to be airgapped, which now begs the question: "shouldn't the guy who coined One Way Out have known the water was the Only Way Out and knowing he couldn't swim, have found a flotation device first?"

It re-contexualizes his hesitation and performance early on at points. He knew the entire time that for him there was NO way out. He's an absolute hero and, as I'm sure we'll see from the fallout of at least some of these prisoners making it and getting the word out, one of the people whose actions help solidify the rebellion, and almost know one will know he even existed. It being juxtaposed with Luthen's speech about how he's willing to sacrifice for a world he'll never see and to help people have a better future he'll never have owned.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying Star Wars Senatorial intrigue. That's a wild sentence. I hope Mothma does the right thing and betroths her daughter, Space Tony Soprano was a lot more reasonable than I expected. O'Reilly gave a great performance considering his proposal, though obviously Serkis and Skarsgard stole the show. Two extended, fantastically performed monologues? In my Star Wars?

I'm hoping it turns out Mothma went stone cold and was going to do it all along but is holding out to get even more out of Space Tony Soprano lol

Owlbear Camus posted:

Starting to realize that Cassian's emerging deal with dispensing blapping seems to be that he kills or spares people out of immediate necessity, without a ton of sentiment-- one way or the other. He does the math and outputs either a blaster bolt or clemency. The guards are complicit in awful things, but they're not an active threat to the escape plan at that point. The second corpo cop is helpless and begging for his life, could stitch Cassian up for life in a Pre Morr Brand Private Labor and Rehabilitation Centre. The informant on the Ring of Kaffrine doesn't deserve his fate, but he has to deny him to the Empire. etc.

If only he had been able to...climb.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 10, 2022

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

I didn't mind them leaving those two, Cassian was going to kill them but he left it in Kino's hands which was fine and seemed in character for how he was acting with that.

Regarding Luthen, It'd be cool if they thrown in every possible indication that he is a Jedi, but never actually have him use any force powers, have any characters or him acknowledge it, never uses a lightsaber. Like just have a bunch of things that evoke him being a Jedi like we've seen but it never actually comes up or matters.

But as others mentioned, his knowledge of those artifacts/history seems to be the real deal, it would be interesting if just from reading a lot about them and is making these things just a part of the way he presents himself. Like he realizes he has to go extra when dealing with folks to get poo poo down the way he wants.

I think Luthen is former trade federation. It would tie together with the flashback from Andor's childhood that hasn't been explained yet and fit with his morally grey character.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I will be very pissed if Luthen turns out to be a Jedi

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I think Luthen is former trade federation. It would tie together with the flashback from Andor's childhood that hasn't been explained yet and fit with his morally grey character.

He's what the Techno-Union guys look like under the garbage cans

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
If we've barely seen Stormtroopers after 10 hours, you can bet your asses we won't be seeing a loving Jedi before the end of this season.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Assuming he wasn't just lying at the end there, he seems to imply that he'd seen the way through wind was blowing in the early Empire so that rules out Seperatist

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

Assuming he wasn't just lying at the end there, he seems to imply that he'd seen the way through wind was blowing in the early Empire so that rules out Seperatist

I'm not sure that rules it out. He says 15 years ago so the end of the Clone Wars. He could've decided to go underground to continue his fight. He had to have learned how to be this good at spycraft somewhere.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

I didn't mind them leaving those two, Cassian was going to kill them but he left it in Kino's hands which was fine and seemed in character for how he was acting with that.

Regarding Luthen, It'd be cool if they thrown in every possible indication that he is a Jedi, but never actually have him use any force powers, have any characters or him acknowledge it, never uses a lightsaber. Like just have a bunch of things that evoke him being a Jedi like we've seen but it never actually comes up or matters.

But as others mentioned, his knowledge of those artifacts/history seems to be the real deal, it would be interesting if just from reading a lot about them and is making these things just a part of the way he presents himself. Like he realizes he has to go extra when dealing with folks to get poo poo down the way he wants.

Luthen is actually a force ghost droid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Neo Rasa posted:

Starting to realize that Cassian's emerging deal with dispensing blapping seems to be that he kills or spares people out of immediate necessity, without a ton of sentiment-- one way or the other. He does the math and outputs either a blaster bolt or clemency. The guards are complicit in awful things, but they're not an active threat to the escape plan at that point. The second corpo cop is helpless and begging for his life, could stitch Cassian up for life in a Pre Morr Brand Private Labor and Rehabilitation Centre. The informant on the Ring of Kaffrine doesn't deserve his fate, but he has to deny him to the Empire. etc.