Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I last played Rogue Legacy 2 in June; have there been significant updates since then? It's tempting, but I didn't notice anything too unfamiliar in the trailer, just a few new spells and a clown enemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Indian food game trailer didn't make me want the game, but it did make me want Indian food, so I think that's a success?

I already forgot all the other games except Sports Story.

Augus posted:

ngl I was totally on board with Have a Nice Death and then my heart sank when they said “roguelike”. The genre is way over saturated, please just give me a normal series of levels that lead to an ending.

This

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

North Indian food dlc please

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Want a game to tide me over the next few days. Will I get more time out of new Kirby or Sparks of Hope?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sparks of Hope is certainly longer but Kirby is really really amazing (not to say Sparks isn't good too it's just not Kirby).

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah have a nice death looked great when I thought it was a metroidvania. rip.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Regy Rusty posted:

Sparks of Hope is certainly longer but Kirby is really really amazing (not to say Sparks isn't good too it's just not Kirby).
Does SoH have puzzles similar to KB? I found those pretty lame in KB. I like puzzles but those ones weren't very good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

snoremac posted:

Does SoH have puzzles similar to KB? I found those pretty lame in KB. I like puzzles but those ones weren't very good.

No it doesn't have those at all, assuming I'm remembering right and you're talking about the battle puzzles. It does have overworld puzzles.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

No it doesn't have those at all, assuming I'm remembering right and you're talking about the battle puzzles. It does have overworld puzzles.
I meant the overworld ones.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I just realised Sparks will be half price soon enough so I'll get Kirby.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

snoremac posted:

I just realised Sparks will be half price soon enough so I'll get Kirby.

The true gamers choice

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It has overworld puzzles, but exploration is more similar to moving around in a JRPG sorta deal. The overall structure of the game is very different from Kingdom Battle.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Always choose the Nintendo game over a full priced Ubisoft

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

wintendo imo

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

been saying this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

never pay 60 bucks for a Ubisoft game

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

been saying this

many such cases!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

hatty posted:

Always choose the Nintendo game over a full priced Ubisoft

I'm sure Nintendo execs feel chest pains everytime the Rabbids drag loving Mario in a 75% deal.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I don't care what happens to Nintendo ever since they robbed me of Super Mario 35.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Augus posted:

never pay 60 bucks for a Ubisoft game

or any amount for a Ubisoft game, for that matter

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Make Zelda 35 Sword already

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inscryption is a pretty competent little card game that gets clever.

Perhaps too clever for its own good because I've had my fill of the card game at this point though I'm not done with the cleverness/narrative but I'm to the point where I might just look up a video or something.

I'm also a bit of a card game elitist so if you're not as snobby as me you might enjoy the card game for longer than I did, though if you don't like card games then I wouldn't recommend it.

I definitely got my money's worth but I also got it on Steam Sale because I got tired of waiting for the Switch version and it runs great on the Dreck.

It's almost like they timed the sale to undercut Nintendo's announcement.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Well, how about this: If I like Slay the Spire, will I like the card game in Inscryption?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Been playing Rogue Legacy 2 last night and I am happy to report the game owns on switch. Performance is excellent to great, with minor but rare dips that never go below 30fps. I had one room get sluggish and I had another bug where a sound effect kept playing no matter what, but other than these two one-offs, game runs excellent.

Did you like the first one? Because gameplay wise it's more of the same but much better! Combat is hugely improved and feels meaty/more balanced compared to the first game where it kind of felt loose? Like if someone created a bunch of behaviors in Game maker and slapped them into a map. But this one has a lot more polish in the animations, the way enemies react to you, the impact of each hit etc.

You also have a ton of classes compared to the original and for the most part they all seem fun to play. The game seems quite bigger (maybe by 30-40% compared to the original would be my early estimate). And of course leveling up your estate and pumping up stats is stupidly addictive.

It is a rougelite so dying is part of the experience, if you don't like rougelites do keep that in mind. Otherwise this sequel kicks rear end!! So far it's a 9.5/10 for me compared to the original which was maybe a 7 or an 8/10 dwepending on how I was feeling about it that day.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Mons Hubris posted:

Well, how about this: If I like Slay the Spire, will I like the card game in Inscryption?

If you like Slay the Spire you will break Inscryption over your knee.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mons Hubris posted:

It's not as involved as STS but yeah.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the graphics in rogue legacy 2 are also really polished. The level tile sets / themes are significantly more inspired than they were the first go-around. This feels like a well designed almost-AAA indie! It probably helps that the game had a generous early access window where they were able to work out a lot of the kinks

I don't play games in early access but I sure am glad others do

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I clocked eighty hours in RL2, it’s very good and knows how to keep escalating after you cleared your first run

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just to clarify, STS is a straight up deep deckbuilding game while Inscryption is a story-based indie game based around a pretty fun deckbuilding game

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Glad to hear RL2 is good. If only I didn't have a big Switch backlog....

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

or any amount for a Ubisoft game, for that matter

Or any company, as there's always abuse.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was saying that because Ubisoft games suck rear end but ok

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Nier automata is so good holy poo poo i completely forgot how hard it rules despite being so forgettable

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I picked it up because i was enjoying bayonetta 1 but its even better in every single way that matters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really like Astral Chain too if you haven't played that, I haven't played Bayonetta 3 but from what I've heard, a lot of the more eccentric/diffuse stuff in that game seems to have been from Astral Chain which loved to do poo poo like randomly have minigames where you have to carry a giant stack of ice cream on a cone without it tipping over

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Nier automata is so good holy poo poo i completely forgot how hard it rules despite being so forgettable

Idk how you could forget the robot orgy, kaiju fight, or the time a bunch of windup toy robots re-enacted Romeo and Juliet but literally everyone explodes at the end and there’s lots of swearing but that’s just me.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

KingSlime posted:

Been playing Rogue Legacy 2 last night and I am happy to report the game owns on switch. Performance is excellent to great, with minor but rare dips that never go below 30fps. I had one room get sluggish and I had another bug where a sound effect kept playing no matter what, but other than these two one-offs, game runs excellent.

Did you like the first one? Because gameplay wise it's more of the same but much better! Combat is hugely improved and feels meaty/more balanced compared to the first game where it kind of felt loose? Like if someone created a bunch of behaviors in Game maker and slapped them into a map. But this one has a lot more polish in the animations, the way enemies react to you, the impact of each hit etc.

You also have a ton of classes compared to the original and for the most part they all seem fun to play. The game seems quite bigger (maybe by 30-40% compared to the original would be my early estimate). And of course leveling up your estate and pumping up stats is stupidly addictive.

It is a rougelite so dying is part of the experience, if you don't like rougelites do keep that in mind. Otherwise this sequel kicks rear end!! So far it's a 9.5/10 for me compared to the original which was maybe a 7 or an 8/10 dwepending on how I was feeling about it that day.

Thanks for this write up. As someone who didn’t really like the first one but loves 2D action games, do you think it’d be worth giving this a try? My main complaint was that the controls weren’t super responsive compared to other stuff I played around the same time like Hollow Knight and Dead Cells (I was late to the RL party).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely can picture N:A being a lot of things but forgettable is not one.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Inscription is designed to be utterly broken over your knee, as it's a narrative game at heart that just happens to have a relatively simple card game attached. The first chapter is incredible and worth the price of admission alone, and after that it kind of muddles along until it finishes. It's not a forever game like StS, so just getit dirt cheap on pc if your on the fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I really like Astral Chain too if you haven't played that, I haven't played Bayonetta 3 but from what I've heard, a lot of the more eccentric/diffuse stuff in that game seems to have been from Astral Chain which loved to do poo poo like randomly have minigames where you have to carry a giant stack of ice cream on a cone without it tipping over

Yeah it's a mix of Astral Chain and Scalebound.

Of course Platinum is an extremely iterative developer so you can reasonably say most of its games are direct developments on the mechanics of the previous ones, it's one of their charms imo