Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Blorange posted:

Drag would be nice, but alt-click moving something to the top or bottom of the queue has worked for 99% of my construction micro.
I'm glad you dont mind it but everyone I know that plays Vicky 3 dislikes how it currently works because if you have to do some fine tuning its a tonnn of clicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I just had a war where I was defending in mountains with 26 vs 32 units and even tech plus my general had defensive strategist + mountain combat expert. Somehow lost most of my battles for some reason. I noticed the mountain combat expert bonus didn't seem to apply? My bataillons just got worse and worse morale and pushed back a few times and then I got annexed. :(

Feels like when I try an attack like that I need at least 2x numbers to make any kind of advances and even then it takes many failed attacks.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm glad you dont mind it but everyone I know that plays Vicky 3 dislikes how it currently works because if you have to do some fine tuning its a tonnn of clicking.
Out of curiosity, what's coming up so often that fine changes are an issue?

I've often had a situation where I had to build something urgently, and sometimes I need a building pretty urgently, but only after an even more important building type, but alt-clicking to bring things to the top has been all I really need for those cases.

If there's just a bunch of stuff that needs to be built eventually I haven't found a situation where the order is super important to the point that I'd bother clicking a bunch to reorder it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrath posted:

The list when you're building things should:

*Show unemployed as well as peasants.
*When building railroads, show the market access in the state. I don't give a solitary gently caress how many railroads are in a state already, market access is all I care about. The heatmap shading in that lens mode is far too subtle, too.

I mean look at this!

Market access is short by 9%, yet the green is so very slightly different than Patagonia next door, which is at 100%. Just let me sort the list by market access please.

Unsurprisingly there are at least two mods that do it.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Is the flu pandemic journal broken right now? I feel like I’m missing something. The quarantine options make it seem like it’s supposed to get less deadly with successive waves and gradually improve. It’s struck the same state at least 4 times with no change in any of the modifiers.

This is on a playthrough of the Divergences mod, so idk if that’s also affecting it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

elbkaida posted:

I just had a war where I was defending in mountains with 26 vs 32 units and even tech plus my general had defensive strategist + mountain combat expert. Somehow lost most of my battles for some reason. I noticed the mountain combat expert bonus didn't seem to apply? My bataillons just got worse and worse morale and pushed back a few times and then I got annexed. :(

Feels like when I try an attack like that I need at least 2x numbers to make any kind of advances and even then it takes many failed attacks.

Are you sure the battles were actually in mountain, and not mines or factories or whatever?

Also make sure you have the armed forces at +10 or above for the attack/defense boost. Pretend to be totally passing censorship or something if you have to.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Unsurprisingly there are at least two mods that do it.

Yes now that I've finished my first campaign I've added a few mods to address a few of these issues.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is AI handling of revolts buggy? Playing as Belgium, Great Britain is facing a large but manageable capitalist revolt, I get pulled into the war because I'm in a defensive pact with GB. I haven't mobilized because I feel like AI GB should be able to handle this without my very small army, but they're just sitting there with no generals on their fronts:

GB is holding the fronts because of garrisons I guess, but is not actually prosecuting the war at all. The revolt's war support is at 0, GB is about 48. I want this thing to end because I have other diplomatic plays I want to make but it has been static for years. What is going on?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Swing State Victim posted:

Is the flu pandemic journal broken right now? I feel like I’m missing something. The quarantine options make it seem like it’s supposed to get less deadly with successive waves and gradually improve. It’s struck the same state at least 4 times with no change in any of the modifiers.

This is on a playthrough of the Divergences mod, so idk if that’s also affecting it.

It stays fairly low mortality if you do lockdowns etc. If you let it run free it can run up to at least 200% mortality rate. But it'll still keep spreading from other nations in your market for years no matter what. Eventually it'll die out but it's rooough.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Eiba posted:

I've often had a situation where I had to build something urgently, and sometimes I need a building pretty urgently, but only after an even more important building type, but alt-clicking to bring things to the top has been all I really need for those cases.

If there's just a bunch of stuff that needs to be built eventually I haven't found a situation where the order is super important to the point that I'd bother clicking a bunch to reorder it.

There’s more than a few times you start getting input shortages and want to shore those goods up but that also requires a few other goods right after, sequencing is a huge pain.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Staltran posted:

Also make sure you have the armed forces at +10 or above for the attack/defense boost. Pretend to be totally passing censorship or something if you have to.

:aaaaa: I have to do just that more often

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Now this looks like an interesting avenue for a mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2884670827&searchtext=

Banks! Banknotes! Securities!

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

How important is fixing a shortage of taxation capacity? Playing as the Sikh Empire, I start off with like -80% taxes collected in my capitol state. But every government building I construct doesn't seem to cover its expenses, even with filing cabinets and changing the laws that decrease my taxation capacity. Should I maybe focus on building up my industry first so I actually have something to tax?

The real issue is - I'm assuming - your tax laws because if you're at poll taxes then you're not going to make poo poo no matter how much tax capacity you have or how built up your industry is. You want to switch to a better tax law first and then build up tax capacity. Pops will care less that way too because their standard of living won't drop like a brick the moment the tax law passes and will instead go down gradually as you begin to squeeze them for wealth.

That being said, yes, build up industry, but that's less about immediate cash (you won't be able to tax them either until you change your tax laws) and more about transferring power to anyone who isn't a landlord. Say what you will about the capitalist robber barons, but they are not literally the worst people in the world (2nd or 3rd worst maybe) and they love laissez-faire economic policy which is insanely strong for building your country into a powerhouse. Also, industrialists are actually in favor of proportional tax laws - just not the later two - so they're really good for getting better tax laws passed early.

edit: you can also make money early on by using authority to pass consumption taxes and just tax something that won't send your country spiraling into anarchy. Taxes services makes a poo poo ton of cash without causing too many problems.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 9, 2022

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Waifu Radia posted:

There’s more than a few times you start getting input shortages and want to shore those goods up but that also requires a few other goods right after, sequencing is a huge pain.

Something I feel like doing kinda regularly is interleaving batches of different building types, for this reason. And, like, that's not going to be easy in any UI, but it would be a lot easier with click and drag.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

edit: you can also make money early on by using authority to pass consumption taxes and just tax something that won't send your country spiraling into anarchy. Taxes services makes a poo poo ton of cash without causing too many problems.

there's never any real reason to lift the service tax. it's gonna do much more for you than anything else you'd get for 200 authority and your tax is not going to impact the price of services because urban centers generate too much. i think the same is generally true for luxury byproducts of industries you mainly build for their primary product, like luxury clothes, luxury furniture, and porcelain, but if you're going to fully liberalize you'll run out of authority to run those taxes eventually.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Something I feel like doing kinda regularly is interleaving batches of different building types, for this reason. And, like, that's not going to be easy in any UI, but it would be a lot easier with click and drag.

ideal is I can use shift or even a checkbox to select ones I want to manipulate

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there a way to trigger the Mexican-American war via event/decision or is it entirely dependent on me doing it as a diplomatic action?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes? You get the claims via journal entry and then you declare to get the claims.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
The consumption tax menu should really show the price impact on the good, or at least its current price. Haven't seen a mod for that yet

Edit: once you add a tax you can click the trade good icon that appears to see its price. That works okay but logically you'd want to see before you add the tax

Magissima fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 10, 2022

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Inside you there are two wolves.

One wants to wait for a patch to fix most of the major issues.

One wants make line go up

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

How important is fixing a shortage of taxation capacity? Playing as the Sikh Empire, I start off with like -80% taxes collected in my capitol state. But every government building I construct doesn't seem to cover its expenses, even with filing cabinets and changing the laws that decrease my taxation capacity. Should I maybe focus on building up my industry first so I actually have something to tax?

I wondered about this and did some calculations. Probably the easiest way is to just look at a government admin building (if you have at least one) and it will show you how much the stack costs, just divide that by the number of buildings in the stack and you'll get the cost of one building. Then to figure out how much money it makes you can find out how much a state brings in for tax in its information tab. Divide that per the amount of tax capacity it has, then multiply that number by the amount of tax capacity an admin building adds. Then compare the cost of the building to the amount of tax it brings in. It won't be perfect because you're boosting your economy with those wages and paper purchases but it'll be somewhat close.

As an example from my Russia game:

That's 6.15K for 4 buildings, so 1.54K per building.

Right now taxes are 3.98K, which when divided by the current capacity of 158 and multiplied by the 15 of each admin building gives us 0.38K taxes per admin building.

Which means it's not worth it.

But... those numbers are ABYSMAL. You'd need base (100% capacity) taxes of 40K in a state before an admin building of that level was worth it. It's not the highest level and it hasn't got all the stacked percentages from social tech, and the tax law is land-based not the juicy proportional, but that's so bad I think it won't just come good with a couple changes. I think it might be wrong to build admin buildings for anything but admin points until the late game.

Did I gently caress up the math somewhere?

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

RabidWeasel posted:

Sadly I'm about 90% sure that a dev mentioned that there was a technical reason why this was not possible right now (presumably requiring a serious rewrite of some UI code to accomodate)

:negative:

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Arrath posted:

Now this looks like an interesting avenue for a mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2884670827&searchtext=

Banks! Banknotes! Securities!

Glassworks in Toledo? I'm gonna have to use this one now, this guy gets it!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eiba posted:

I think Waifu Radia summed it up for my personal preference:

Waifu Radia posted:

And things like "I have two buildings currently being built that I want to finish, and I just added something to address an input shortage but I want it to build after the two buildings that are almost done" so I have to find the new building I queued that I want to move up (there could be multiple I just queued), alt+ click to move it to first in the list, then go back to the front of the line and move it down two spots. That is, uh, a lot of clicks I'm not going to count when if I could just instead click and drag the one building I want to move to where I want it...

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

Inside you there are two wolves.

One wants to wait for a patch to fix most of the major issues.

One wants make line go up

tbqf this is the best release in terms of beating Paradox Syndrome, it's buggy af but definitely satisfying to play even while waiting patches

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Most fun I've had so far has been Sokoto. You can vassalize most of the people around you then dig (colonize) west to Massina opium then north to Libyan oil. Buddy up to France if you can and get into his customs union for a little more safety (France is the biggest threat in west africa,) or join Austrian or Russian customs union for free rubber money when that starts pumping. It feels like the most important thing lock down is a source of opium. If you can't pass colonization laws quick enough to grab Massina you should plan to head over to Egypt and take theirs.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
My Arabia run has gotten a female prime minister in 1905 who has led the Radical party coalition and seen a boom in GDP, literacy, and health care. Now I just need to manufacture enough ammunition to switch to trench infantry

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Phigs posted:

But... those numbers are ABYSMAL. You'd need base (100% capacity) taxes of 40K in a state before an admin building of that level was worth it. It's not the highest level and it hasn't got all the stacked percentages from social tech, and the tax law is land-based not the juicy proportional, but that's so bad I think it won't just come good with a couple changes. I think it might be wrong to build admin buildings for anything but admin points until the late game.

Don't feel like checking the math, but worth pointing out that traditionalism comes with a 25% penalty to taxation efficiency, while appointed bureaucrats gives a +25%, but lots of places are running hereditary at start.

Oh, trying to look this up I found this bit on the wiki:
"Taxation capacity only affects income taxes so it's not as useful for countries with consumption-based or land-based taxation laws."

(from https://vic3.paradoxwikis.com/Beginner%27s_guide#Taxation)

... So if this is correct, your math likely is wrong since the tax affected is much less than overall balance for the province, especially with the more backwards tax laws.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Phigs posted:

Did I gently caress up the math somewhere?

What's the cost of paper?

I get the feeling that you are correct that everything short of the telephone is going to have a slight negative value, but you do need bureaucracy for other things too.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

So looking at it further, taxation capacity is based on population and tax income is (loosely, just so you can eyeball it) based on GDP. Some more quick calculations and I think you want roughly 5 GDP/person with standard filing system before admin buildings are worth it. This would obviously change with different laws and techs, but that's a good ballpark figure. I guess a similar thing would work for incorporating states as well, though more a function of incorporation cost v GDP. And these numbers are reflected in the state tax incomes and admin expenses too. Almost any state early on with admin buildings is going to be spending more on admin than it pays in taxes total.

So I guess you should just be ignoring government admin buildings during the early decades when it comes to incorporation and tax capacity? Build them for trade routes and if you want to get incorporation started early for when it eventually will be worth it.

Also worth noting you get +tax capacity techs all through the game to the point where most places won't need any admin buildings at all to fully tax.

EDIT: I checked these numbers in my Grand Columbia game with proportional taxes and other good laws (paper costing 30, which is the base) and that's where the 5 GDP/p rough value came from. From my Russia game it's more like 10 GDP/p. The numbers are not reliable from an exact standpoint even if I didn't mess up the math, but from getting an idea on the kind of magnitudes involved.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 10, 2022

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Dai Nam has been a fun conquest oriented game, you've got a lot of weak neighbors, and once you get a tech advantage in your army, you can roll everyone else in Southeast Asia pretty quickly. A land border with Qing means you have convoy-free access to their market, which is great for revenue, or, if you'd prefer, you can even go conquering in China and integrate the states there because you have the right cultural traits to integrate Chinese states within 5 years.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Basically, never build government administration buildings to get your tax revenue up. But that's fine because the thing you actually want from them is bureaucracy and institutions. If you have a state that's under tax capacity and you were going to build a government building maybe put it there I guess.

edit: in my Japan game government buildings did give some improvement, but Japan and East Asia in general are in an unusual situation.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 10, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

Basically, never build government administration buildings to get your tax revenue up.

this. tax capacity is a red herring that doesn't matter. even negative bureaucracy overall isn't a big deal until you start getting into -25% or more tax waste, and even then you might still want to build out your economy instead if you are someone like russia or qing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone mess with Hyderabad? I feel like it has a lot of good stuff going for it, you can pretty easily become the number 1 economy by sucking up all the resources from the British market to make finished goods, but then you're sorta stuck as a permanent puppet of a puppet.

I'm sort of thinking it might be a good recommendation for learning the game, because you have a powerful overlord and only two states to manage.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I shouldn't say "never matters" but it's not a good way to bolster your income. It is good for creating lots of Intelligentsia who are either supportive or neutral to just about every good law in the game and for creating a government sponsored middle class who aren't those little bougie pricks.

Just don't think you'll get rich doing it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

I shouldn't say "never matters" but it's not a good way to bolster your income. It is good for creating lots of Intelligentsia who are either supportive or neutral to just about every good law in the game and for creating a government sponsored middle class who aren't those little bougie pricks.

Just don't think you'll get rich doing it.

I always overbuild on Universities for this reason. Gotta raise up a counter to the landed gentry somehow, even if I have to pay them into existence. Faster techs are also nice of course.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Re: the bug with AI wars not ending, I guess you can get around it by just tag switching to whoever feels like the loser and capitulating. But this is not ideal because even if you switch back to your country immediately, it wipes your GDP history, so you can't see how much number has gone up over time. Is there any other way around this bug?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
It really sucks to lose a war as a country with a small coastline and a big colonial empire.

Lost a war as Belgium, and Russia demanded a treaty port in Flanders - taking my only European port and cutting me off from my entire overseas market, pretty much forcing me into a war with one of my other neighbors before my whole economy fell apart.

To add insult to injury, while I was busy with that war, the treaty port rebelled against Russian control and was quickly beaten down - which removed its treaty port status, leaving it a fully-held Russian province.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Okay I give, what does it mean when after enacting a law "pops will recalculate their IG support"?

I'm in the final stretch of my first game as Egypt and boy you guys weren't kidding about the slowdowns. Up to about 1921 now and I think I actually have a pretty decent shot at ending the game as the #1 great power. Britain had a big lead for a while, until a wave of revolutions hit them at home and in India and I don't think they're going to recover from that. France has fallen pretty far from grace and their military is kind of in a sad state of affairs. If the right conditions come along I think I can cut them down to size enough to KO them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Tomn posted:

So how did you get on in the war against France in the end?

Started a diplomatic play versus France and then goaded Italy to join me. I would say that France was actually winning the war but enough time passed and enough Frenchmen were killed to convince them to give me Algiers.