Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

a bunch of shut in doomers with decade old poly sci degrees posting on a leftist offshoot board on a comedy forum are wrong over something

Curious !

retarred

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nix Panicus posted:

I really feel the 'Tough on Crime' stance is less to appeal to people actually at risk for being crimed and much more for the suburban shitheads worried that roving gangs are going to descend on their pristine yard and kidnap their kids for pizza sex dungeons, or the urban landlord worried about their property values. Its a story that appeals to the perpetually cowardly who imagine themselves constantly under attack, so the actual incidence of crime is almost irrelevant to the impact of the rhetoric except in the most vague 'number go up' kind of way.

here's some posts from the chicago thread, going back to last september

LargeHadron posted:

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shooting-humboldt-park-elderly-man-shot-police/10928722/

This was on my street, just a few houses north of mine. I was out front watering my plants and heard a fully automatic weapon being shot in my direction. I could literally hear the bullets going by. I have seen way more poo poo here than I ever expected to, and I've only lived here just over a year.

LargeHadron posted:

I've had the same kind of thought before. I unfortunately found myself owning a home in a hotspot, and I've witnessed three shootings in the span of about a year and a half, all within spitting distance of my house.

1) Drive-by on the apartment across the street. Never even investigated.
2) Elderly man shot in the back by an automatic COD-style rifle (dead? no idea, can't find info.). Made the news, but the shooter was never found AFAIK.
3) Someone unloaded a handgun at my neighbors who were out partying in their backyard at 2am like the stupid assholes they are (it wasn't me, I promise). I saw the cops come and shine a flashlight around. Nobody was hit, so this didn't make the news, and I assume the shooter was never found.

a_pineapple posted:

https://twitter.com/ant_kneee/status/1443603606515638284?s=20
This is the 2nd drive by sort of shooting near me in the last few months. The last one was outside my front door not too long ago.

SamsCola posted:

Apparently there was a shooting a couple blocks from me. Central Park and Wilson in Albany Park. 21 shell casings and one dead. Cops had the whole block cordoned off this morning.

I try not to be alarmist, cause violence happens wherever people are, but it is a bit scary to think that I might be walking down the street one day and end up between some folks shooting at each other.

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's because the shooting occurred in Millennium Park. There is zero chance the city would do this were it to occur elsewhere. It's just a convenient way to say "look what we're doing!" while ignoring the larger structural issues at hand. Out of sight out of mind!

Maed posted:

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-police-involved-shooting-pilsen-18th-morgan/12066916/

In other news this just happened half a block from my Airbnb, glad I’m moving tomorrow. I see the CPD also has the just shoot everyone around strategy the NYPD has too.

and of course, the worst day of 2020 there were 18 people killed in a single day , but that was all over the city.

and a kindergartner at a school my wife worked at was killed in a driveby in north side of chicago. we're in the burbs but several other kids have gotten killed here this fall. it's awful

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Nov 10, 2022

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

here's some posts from the chicago thread, going back to last september

and of course, the worst day of 2020 there were 18 people killed in a single day , but that was all over the city

Crime is real some places, but the cops arent going to do poo poo about it, especially in Chicago. In order to reduce crime in Chicago you'd need to gut the cops first, as well as every politician, past or present, associated with the city.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nix Panicus posted:

Crime is real some places, but the cops arent going to do poo poo about it, especially in Chicago. In order to reduce crime in Chicago you'd need to gut the cops first, as well as every politician, past or present, associated with the city.

that's fine, im just saying that it isn't a make believe issue if you live in certain areas. people tend to go awfully fast from 'wow its just a bunch of scared racists' to 'well, voting isn't going to fix anything' once poo poo like this gets pointed out

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Chicago feels like a special case of a town too corrupt for there to ever be a solution short of burning it down and starting again

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nix Panicus posted:

Chicago feels like a special case of a town too corrupt for there to ever be a solution short of burning it down and starting again

They did that already!!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

They did that already!!

Well there's your problem. They built the city on a cursed city burial ground

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apraxin posted:

oh wow, susan wild held on to pa-07, i was sure that was going to be one of the easiest gop pick-ups
https://twitter.com/tomozCali/status/1590534050221281280

I just want to know how this happens:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean it seems pretty obvious, Carbon County residents are dumber than a big bag of hammers and they appreciate a candidate who will tell it like it is

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

A new crop of Zoomers will be eligible to vote by 2024, wide-eyed and hopeful. It's a continuous process. Boomers will also die.

Inshallah

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tibalt posted:

I mean it seems pretty obvious, Carbon County residents are dumber than a big bag of hammers and they appreciate a candidate who will tell it like it is

I just want to know what the write-in candidate who got zero votes was thinking and all we have is his Ballotpedia campaign survey page to figure out why he didn't even vote for himself.

Role model: Richard Feynman
Favourite book: "Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk
Favourite reps: Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Checks out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

Well there's your problem. They built the city on a cursed city burial ground

you know, this explains a lot about San Francisco too

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

are you mentally r-worded?

you need 218 for control

even somebody like you can figure that out Xaris

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mad about predicting the election incorrectly lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GP lost utterly and completely, another reason to be happy about things here :woop:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

A new crop of Zoomers will be eligible to vote by 2024, wide-eyed and hopeful. It's a continuous process. Boomers will also die.

Yo this poster is actually correct and we do have to rely on dead eyed tiktok dancers for any hope of good things happening in 2024

Luckily the Democratic party establishment, median age 73, will not realize that in any way

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
mmhmm yes, demographics are certainly destiny, sure

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Like seriously you're not going to convince non democratic old people for poo poo and millennials are a lost cause, you've gotta convince young people who otherwise wouldn't vote to vote, or you're hosed. There's no minority left to exploit.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

They are in the sense that when you're dead there's going to be a lot more people alive who were younger than you: the boomer nightmare

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

I just want to know how this happens:

Mark Ames:

quote:

Bush’s mannerisms accidentally harmonized with Middle America’s, the very people who should be looking to lynch him for destroying their lives. But he’s got something they understand on some primordial mammal level. You’ve had to have had spent your youth avoiding homework, cheating on tests and spending weekends sucking a beer bong to speak like Bush does, particularly considering his Exeter/Yale/Harvard education. Amazingly, Bush’s inarticulate simplicity as well as his long years of coke-sniffing, drunk-driving sin are not only forgiven in Protestant Middle America, but are even considered virtues. In the Bible, Jesus says that God looks far more fondly upon someone who spends a life in sin and at the end repents than on a virtuous man who, at the end of life, allows himself to sin. So Bush played his cards right. Even Jesus apparently looks at him like a stand-up guy.

And lastly there is the issue of patronizing. All the good Leftists who come to help out the Debbies of the world are seen as inherently patronizing by the same Debbies. The Republicans talk about self-reliance, which goes over well in a country as crudely Protestant as America. They don’t make a fuss as they pick her pockets. The Left makes a big fuss about her as a victim while they try to fill her pockets, and for most Americans, that is just unbearable.

[...]

Unlike Russia’s elite, America’s liberal elite is completely deluded about who they are and what the American people have become. So I’ll say it again: stop pretending that you’re not elite. Instead, try and be MORE elitist than you really are. It’s the only way you’ll ever get respect.

First: forget about trying to court Middle America. You just get on their nerves when you try. The more you talk about the NBA playoffs or boxing, the more they fantasize seeing you in an orange jumpsuit and manacles at Camp X-Ray. Start off by not talking to The People anymore. Abandon them. At least you’ll feel better about yourself.

Next: enjoy yourselves. Take your cue from the Russians: you’re better than the common herd, so start acting like it. Life for a Leftie might finally become attractive to the masses if they think you’re onto something. And even if they don’t follow, at least you’ll be treated better if you treat people worse and behave like the Intellectual snob that you are.

http://exiledonline.com/elite-versus-elitny/

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does anyone here understand Alabama's vote on abolishing slavery? According to Ballotpedia, the voters actually revoked the part of the state constitution that abolishes slavery.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
If you click through to Ballotpedia's source it says this:
https://www.al.com/news/2022/03/alabama-constitution-of-2022-appears-to-be-on-its-way-to-voters-in-november.html

quote:

Section 32, which prohibits slavery and involuntary servitude, carries an exception, allowing involuntary servitude “for the punishment of crime, of which the party shall have been duly convicted.”

That exception was deleted from the revised constitution.

The authorization of involuntary servitude for punishment of a crime was used to force many Blacks into labor after the end of slavery.

African Americans made up more than 90% of convicts forced to work at farms, lumber yards and coal mines under Alabama’s convict-lease system, according to the Encyclopedia of Alabama.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/s_golonka/status/1590564478005174273?cxt=HHwWgoDT_eX96JIsAAAA
https://twitter.com/s_golonka/status/1590571449592737792?cxt=HHwWgMDTrcyT7JIsAAAA
https://twitter.com/JohnRSamuelsen/status/1590577199215616000?cxt=HHwWgICpsaLi7pIsAAAA
https://twitter.com/s_golonka/status/1590578894641717248?cxt=HHwWgIDTpfrE75IsAAAA
looks like all the update sites have gone to bed for the night so this might just be going insane trying to parse these by myself, but i think overall they bring the gop senate lead down to within 10k?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

PostNouveau posted:

well, they are, but they also take a long time and people aren't monolithic.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
the decline in material conditions and erosion of social cohesion probably has lead to more crime, it's just not the sort from the movies boomers imagine and certainly not something more cops fixes. It's weird seeing folks who acknowledge those declines, but seem to think that decline is limited to their not being able to buy a house or get to retire.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

lol if that Washoe number holds this is incredibly done and even Sisolak is gonna pull it out

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lmao boebert won

She's down sixty votes?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

So, it is pretty silly, but not entirely invented. You are more likely to get assaulted or shot in NYC today than you were at any other point in the last 30 years

*posts absolute numbers of crimes instead of per capita*

?????

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

eXXon posted:

I just want to know what the write-in candidate who got zero votes was thinking and all we have is his Ballotpedia campaign survey page to figure out why he didn't even vote for himself.

Role model: Richard Feynman
Favourite book: "Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk
Favourite reps: Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Checks out.

what's his username

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LionYeti posted:

Until they come up with a better polling method then loving cold calling people I will continue to fully ignore all polls ever.

telephone spam is a solved problem and the fcc/congress/whatever won't do anything about it lmao

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HallelujahLee posted:

i still dont get what their even ecstatic about or even trolling about literally nothing will change for another 2 years on a national level except maybe if the economy gets even worse who knows

its such a weird thing lol the dems only lost this much ok great no-one here wanted the gop to win

have you seen the parliamentarian? :wink:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The murder rate went up because gunfire became deadlier, because hospitals are collapsing. The number of people getting shot went down.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

StratGoatCom posted:

it's a dying nation, poo poo is going to get real weird as things fold.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Personally, I always had faith that the democrats would not be destroyed in 2022.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
this whole conversation about crime in America is hilarious. there’s seriously a handful of goons in here telling people not to fear crime in the murder capital of the world wrt gun violence. add to that the inevitable increase in crime that comes with the more and more pronounced collapse of capitalism in this shithole year after year. and lol if you don’t think bourgeois media doesn’t lie about crime statistics

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

MLSM posted:

this whole conversation about crime in America is hilarious. there’s seriously a handful of goons in here telling people not to fear crime in the murder capital of the world wrt gun violence. add to that the inevitable increase in crime that comes with the more and more pronounced collapse of capitalism in this shithole year after year. and lol if you don’t think bourgeois media doesn’t lie about crime statistics

I would like to go on record as saying regardless of the crime stats nobody in charge is going to do anything about it aside from letting the cops murder even more people

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I love how public shootings that involve minorities dying in poorer areas are "rampant crime that must be stopped immediately" and all the other shootings of people in all the other locations of our day to day lives are just normal mass shootings, just some poo poo that happens, not anything we need to try to fix

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Violent automotive crime is way up so where are the candidates vowing to take are cars away and lock up road ragers forever?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

a bunch of shut in doomers with decade old poly sci degrees posting on a leftist offshoot board on a comedy forum are wrong over something

Curious !

Excuse me but I think you'll find by modern standards and the shifting overton window we're all actually far right extremists now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's almost like one specific type of violence is a symptom of the breaking down and fraying of society and it requires the single solution of applying more pressure with the jackboot and all politicians agree on that and fall over each other talking about the degree of firmness of the boot on the neck and all other violence it's like hey waddaya gonna do that's just life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
lmao I didn't know this about Mayra Flores:

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1590211702628704257

Love it love it love it.