Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batterypowered7 posted:

I sure wish ABUR duals didn't cost so much... Wait a minute. I have an idea!

And they will be none the wiser!

Underground Sea (legit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Underground Sea (legit)

It's very valuable because it's black bordered.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

HEY! I can tell the difference! You used BLUE ink on that name, always use black ink stupid! :v:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I was gonna use a label maker initially but we don't have one at work.

E:

The name is in blue because Island comes first in the land types and those tap for blue.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

:perfect:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

I was gonna use a label maker initially but we don't have one at work.

E:

The name is in blue because Island comes first in the land types and those tap for blue.

Checks out

:hmmyes:

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the most important thing to know about mpc proxies is that they smell absolutely loving awful

Wow you weren't kidding. I just received my order and the smell is obvious. Hopefully I don't smell them through sleeves.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Han Yolo posted:

Wow you weren't kidding. I just received my order and the smell is obvious. Hopefully I don't smell them through sleeves.

God, I got a large order. I hope those are relatively odorless.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mine didn't smell at all so v0v

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

God, I got a large order. I hope those are relatively odorless.

They don't smell through sleeves at least.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Han Yolo posted:

They don't smell through sleeves at least.

I'll be double-sleeving to make 'em nice and stiff (and because I got a 10-pack of KMC Perfects for cheap), so that would probably help doubly.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Decided to check with some other folks who actually have working noses and my MPC cards apparently do not smell.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

You rip rear end in a small room and immediately ask people "Hey, do these MPC proxies smell weird?"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
that's just how my lgs always smells

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I got a buddy in Korea and I'm gonna ask him to pick up a few of these for me if he can:

https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/magic-partners-with-korean-artist-for-pair-of-region-exclusive-tokens/

E:

Heath posted:

Etrata works with any kind of bounce effect, so you can actually hit with her and activate (say) a Ninjutsu skill in response to her trigger so it still goes off but she returns to your hand (because even if she has dealt damage she is still "attacking")

Decided to skip the Etrata in the end. This is where I started. This is where I'm at right now.

I'm thinking about also cutting Agent of Treachery, which would leave me with four creature spots to fill. I was considering choosing from amongst Blighted Agent, Burakos, Party Leader, Oona's Prowler, Ravenloft Adventurer, and Sakashima of a Thousand Faces to fill in those spots.

I also think some of the removal would probably be better as permission, that Kindred Dominance might just be too expensive to cast, and that Beacon of Unrest is probably too cute to try to include.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 8, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

So in cEDH, let's say you've got an opponent at a precariously low life total and it at least appears as if they won't be able to win any time soon, do you save them from an attack that might kill them (like with a Spirit token from Forbidden Orchard) in the hopes that they will contribute to stopping your other opponents, or do you let them die so there's one fewer opponent that could stop you?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Situation matters, I'd say. If they've got no chance of winning but are still playing the game for the sake of playing it out, then they could be useful later on. If they could still turn the game around, I wouldn't trust 'em.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

:hmmyes:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

So in cEDH, let's say you've got an opponent at a precariously low life total and it at least appears as if they won't be able to win any time soon, do you save them from an attack that might kill them (like with a Spirit token from Forbidden Orchard) in the hopes that they will contribute to stopping your other opponents, or do you let them die so there's one fewer opponent that could stop you?

that question is highly context dependent based on your assessment of their personality, actual cost vs. potential return in resources, the likelihood that it comes back to bite you via them comboing out or loving you over with disruption/removal (inadvertently or deliberately), your assessment of your own position (i.e. are you way behind/only a little behind/at parity/ahead/way ahead, are you going to win anytime soon, etc.), and other random weird considerations (i.e. are you or anyone else playing Tivit + Time Sieve, as going down to 3 players prevents that combo from being infinite [though that often doesn't matter if it's finite enough])

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Typically if I can kill/cripple a single opponent without leaving myself vulnerable, I'll do it in cEDH. Every deck is extremely powerful and can come out of virtually nowhere to do something terrible to you.

I'll generally only not take that opportunity if a different opponent is clearly archenemy and having that player around will help us survive because of mutually assured destruction

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'm very nice and not entirely cutthroat competitive so I'd let them live. But even in my strongest desire to win I'd still spare them in order to not draw threat from the other two people at the table.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

"Check out the Commander Panel from #Magic30 in full on our YouTube! Gavin Verhey is joined by Rules Committee members Olivia Gobert-Hicks, Sheldon Menery and Gavin Duggan as well as DeQuan Watson from the Commander Advisory Group!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_WSv5egXw"

"Do they talk about how cringy it is to gatekeep the rules to a casual format?"

Lmao

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I found myself on the cusp of winning a CDEH but it fell apart because I didn't know my deck inside and out.

I was running Kykar Underworld Storm , with Kykar in the command zone.

I had underworld breach and LED out, floated some mana, cast Savine's Reclamation but made the mistake of exiling wheel instead of another card while doing my loops. Clearly I need to get better at knowing my lines.

Is there a better way to goldfish then Moxfield's simulator? Ideally one where I can recreate a board state and step through it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Nystral posted:

I found myself on the cusp of winning a CDEH but it fell apart because I didn't know my deck inside and out.

I was running Kykar Underworld Storm , with Kykar in the command zone.

I had underworld breach and LED out, floated some mana, cast Savine's Reclamation but made the mistake of exiling wheel instead of another card while doing my loops. Clearly I need to get better at knowing my lines.

Is there a better way to goldfish then Moxfield's simulator? Ideally one where I can recreate a board state and step through it.

Cockatrice

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Any of y’all going to be at Summit and want to say hi?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Balon posted:

No, but I'll say hi here.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

hi

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Balon posted:

Nope but your Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief is gonna fuckin bang when I put it together, gently caress I can't wait to play that deck and get weird with it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Nope but your Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief is gonna fuckin bang when I put it together, gently caress I can't wait to play that deck and get weird with it

"Gonna teach these dudes why they need to pack more interaction."

I killed a dude's Ivy three times in a row last weekend before I ran out of interaction while the rest of the table sat there twiddling their thumbs. You can only imagine what happened when it stuck the fourth time.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

"Check out the Commander Panel from #Magic30 in full on our YouTube! Gavin Verhey is joined by Rules Committee members Olivia Gobert-Hicks, Sheldon Menery and Gavin Duggan as well as DeQuan Watson from the Commander Advisory Group!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_WSv5egXw"

"Do they talk about how cringy it is to gatekeep the rules to a casual format?"

Lmao

Seize the means of production for casual format rules!

*Cyclonic Rift, Rest in Peace, Blood Moon are banned immediately*

Uh oh!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Johnny Truant posted:

Find room for Audacity from BRO!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Major Operation posted:

Seize the means of production for casual format rules!

*Cyclonic Rift, Rest in Peace, Blood Moon are banned immediately*

Uh oh!

Been on a Play to Win kick lately and they had their own personal casual rules in a couple of videos:

No card over $100
No unconditional tutors under 3 mana
No mana positive rocks other than Sol Ring
No infinites
No instant-win combos you can tutor up
No free counterspells
No off-color fetches

They also played once against I Hate Your Deck (I imagine before both blowouts) and Joe brought a much stronger deck to what was supposed to be a casual game. You can hear both Dylan and Cameron be like, "Oh wow, I thought this was supposed to be casual..." Lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Balon posted:

Find room for Audacity from BRO!

:hai:

Can't wait for a game where Helm of the Host sticks, lol

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Is it wrong to play dual lands in casual, lower power decks? I put them in all my decks (proxies) cause be being able to cast your spells is fun but I got pushback from one person yesterday about it (because "it's a big advantage over playing tap lands, but I wouldn't be playing tap lands regardless)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
A low power deck with a good manabase is still going to do low power things. It's just going to do them more consistently.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Basically. I've had people try to claim my 5-color Theros God deck is OP because it has duals when they died because they let me drop 15 CMC worth of permanents down and didn't remove a single one of them.

Serf
May 5, 2011

We had this debate in my group, because the duals are seen as powerful because they're so expensive. Really they're kinda dull, but they enable you to have more fun faster and so they're good. I don't think having dual lands is a very good measure of a deck's power, even if the add hundreds of dollars to its value.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The duals are obviously a step up in power, but especially with the various new typed taplands, they aren't the game-chamgers they once were. I don't blink at them in casual decks, and I don't think anyone should be using them as a metric.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

Been on a Play to Win kick lately and they had their own personal casual rules in a couple of videos:

No card over $100
No unconditional tutors under 3 mana
No mana positive rocks other than Sol Ring
No infinites
No instant-win combos you can tutor up
No free counterspells
No off-color fetches

Quoting myself here, and looking at you Toshimo, since you went through the thought exercise of thinking of a more casual deck when the one Goon was talking about his playgroup letting you start with three basics in hand. What are commanders (or commander pairs) you guys like that do powerful things that would lend themselves well to the above restrictions?

Korvold comes to mind, since he's a value engine. I think I'd eventually like to proxy a whole mess of decks in all color combinations: 5C, 4C, Wedges and Shards, Color Pairs, and Mono Color. I'd like for them to be strong without being cEDH, and I want to have a list of Commanders and maybe themes to build around.

E:

Tymna/Sakashima seems like a good pair for Esper to build around. Your mom lets you have TWO Tymnas?!

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Vial Smasher/Sakashima

Just cast big spells and dome your opponents randomly for them.