Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
“This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Trabant posted:

Thought it was "Yippie-ki-yay, Mr. Falcon."

IIRC, there are hilariously bad dubs of the line for both Die Hard 1 and 2, so you might both be right.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePB8ZOv--bE

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
tired of these monkey-fightin snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

There was a film I saw on UK tv back in the 80s that had a poorly dubbed "muddy funsters" in it, I think it might have been Lethal Weapon.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Jake: You were outside, I was inside. You were supposed to keep in touch with the band. I kept asking you if we were gonna play again.
Elwood: Well, what was I gonna do? Take away your only hope? Take away the very thing that kept you going in there? I took the liberty of bamboozlin' you, okay?
Jake: You lied to me.
Elwood: It wasn't a lie, it was just...bamboozlin'.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I think my favourite edited-for-TV censorship was the TV edit of Blazing Saddles (1974) where they replaced the fart noises in the bean-eating scene with belching. For some goddamn reason. And since there were no other edits, you have a bunch of cowpokes lifting up one leg and belching.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mel Brooks tells he encountered a version where the sounds were just removed, making the scene strangely like some performance art as the cowpokes keep raising and lowering their butts in silence.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My favorite Total Recall on ABC. The scene where he goes to get the breif case from the phone booth and the woman tries to fight him for it.

"gently caress you, you rear end in a top hat!"

became

"screw you, you steroid!"

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Trabant posted:

Thought it was "Yippie-ki-yay, Mr. Falcon."

My friend and I love this one, especially the complete change in voice for the Mr. Falcon part.

There's also "It's four in the FUNKIN' morning!" from Shaun of the Dead or anything else from that edited version of the scene.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
One of the most bizarre TV-edits I saw was for Mallrats. It was on either Comedy Central or TBS I imagine.

At the start, when Brodie is asking Quint if he ever farted in front of his girlfriend, then explains he did once while she was going down on him...they changed it to "throw up" instead of fart, and "making out with" instead of "going down on."

I get changing the oral sex to just making out...but why change fart?! I mean...I sort of get they were going for;
"Ok, farts come from the butt, near the dick...so we need a bodily function from the mouth, since we changed it to making out... we'll go with vomit! Perfect!"

But
1) They still could have kept fart, and it would work. It would have worked just fine, because it would be considered rude by a lot of people to fart in front of them while you're making out. Especially if it's early in the relationship and it's literally the first time you farted in front of them.
2) If they insisted on changing it to a mouth-based bodily function, why not burp?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
TV edited Scarface is modern art

"Where'd you get the beauty scar, tough guy, eatin' pie??"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

From Speed: "What do you do, animal?"

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You see what happens Larry? This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps Larry!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SubG posted:

I think my favourite edited-for-TV censorship was the TV edit of Blazing Saddles (1974) where they replaced the fart noises in the bean-eating scene with belching. For some goddamn reason. And since there were no other edits, you have a bunch of cowpokes lifting up one leg and belching.

I figure you mean in that scene, but a censor watching Blazing Saddles and being so incensed at the farts that they just don't bother with anything else in they film sounds exactly like a Mel Brooks joke

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

You see what happens Larry? This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps Larry!

This is the best one

https://youtu.be/LCcKBcZzGdA

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

aardwolf posted:

IIRC, there are hilariously bad dubs of the line for both Die Hard 1 and 2, so you might both be right.

Pretty sure he's actually right, but the mental image of Hugo Weaving circa The Matrix playing the role of John McLane is too hilarious to stop thinking about.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I found my old 120gb ipod classic...

It hasn't seen the light of day in years and it still fired right up. It still sounds better than my phone in every way. I want to see how my car stereo works with it but the only USB is on the back. Next time I have a reason to rip the dashboard out I'll hook the old boy up.

Does anyone know a good way that I could get the files off of it safely? The computer I used to transfer the files originally is long gone. I'd like to preserve it as a time capsule as well as retrieve what's on it

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Flip you, melon farmer.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I found my old 120gb ipod classic...

It hasn't seen the light of day in years and it still fired right up. It still sounds better than my phone in every way. I want to see how my car stereo works with it but the only USB is on the back. Next time I have a reason to rip the dashboard out I'll hook the old boy up.

Does anyone know a good way that I could get the files off of it safely? The computer I used to transfer the files originally is long gone. I'd like to preserve it as a time capsule as well as retrieve what's on it

I had the last monochrome model iPod. I loved the look of the UI because it used the original Chicago Mac font. Gave it a nice retro vibe even at the time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Groke posted:

Flip you, melon farmer.

Banan, Melon, Kiwi och Citron!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I used a 160gb classic in my car for well over a decade. Amazingly never needed a new battery or hard drive. I don't think using the original computer or account really matters, even in iTunes. I certainly went through multiple computers and throwaway apple accounts and never had a problem with it.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

a lot of the song names have turned into four letter gibberish like "AXYW," disappeared completely or became jumbled out of order.
On mine, this happens when you try to copy off the files directly with File Explorer or something. They should retain their ID3 tags and stuff though, so that's weird if those also got messed up somehow.

Lowclock has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Nov 11, 2022

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I still have mine at work hooked up to an ancient sound dock. It'll die pretty quick if you take it off and a lot of the song names have turned into four letter gibberish like "AXYW," disappeared completely or became jumbled out of order.

I havent updated any music on it since about 2008, and I can't anymore since I don't have a desktop computer. Also I assume Apple Music has replaced iTunes anyways.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

For whatever reason, american broadcasters and studios can still be super weird about farts. IIRC, speaking of Blazing Saddles, the bean fart scene was the one he got the most pushback over.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Serperoth posted:

I figure you mean in that scene, but a censor watching Blazing Saddles and being so incensed at the farts that they just don't bother with anything else in they film sounds exactly like a Mel Brooks joke
But that didn’t happen, not the “don’t bother with anything else” part.
Broadcast-safe Blazing Saddles is unwatchable, there are so many edits large portions of it make no sense at all.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Who needs a selfie stick when you can just blast your camera up into the air? :black101:

https://twitter.com/yesterdaysprint/status/1591143728940457984?s=20&t=7C2eiPVOwCtuxrjZ9RxDmA

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
gun camera is total bullshit, there's no way that camera can take a decent shot while being flung up in the air.

they definitely had tall ladders back then

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Once a ladder gets above 12 feet the concentration of phlogiston would smother anyone foolish enough to dare climb that high!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If a woman were to climb that ladder, her womb would fall out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

the world sure was different back in those days.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I like my computers like I like my women: made of metal and full of lots of gears and ball bearings.

https://twitter.com/kenshirriff/status/1591186137321594881?s=20&t=7C2eiPVOwCtuxrjZ9RxDmA

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That is a long thread with lots more pictures and it's amazing. :allears:

Pro click

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dick Trauma posted:

I like my computers like I like my women: made of metal and full of lots of gears and ball bearings.

https://twitter.com/kenshirriff/status/1591186137321594881?s=20&t=7C2eiPVOwCtuxrjZ9RxDmA
When I was a child/teenager, every single book on computers solemnly explained the difference between an analog computer and a digital computer.

Now I've seen an analog computer. drat.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

MediaMonkey

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh poo poo that's one of the dude's on CuriousMarc's team :haw:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When I was a child/teenager, every single book on computers solemnly explained the difference between an analog computer and a digital computer.

Now I've seen an analog computer. drat.

Technically you might've even experienced an 'analog computer', if you're of a particular vintage. e; Which I'm now remembering you totally are so also add 'and wealth class' to that statement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetronic

An analog electronic one, at least. There were also analog mechanical systems used even earlier that had an actual 3D cam profile that continually varied the fuel map based on throttle position, engine speed, and even barometric pressure https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/30-Mfi_Info/30-Mfi_Info.htm

ishikabibble has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Nov 12, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

God drat that is cool.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A lot of analog computing was done with opamp circuits. You can build complex differential/integral (and other) math and it's very fast, but not flexible.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

a difference engine for planes, nice.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

lobsterminator posted:

I had the last monochrome model iPod. I loved the look of the UI because it used the original Chicago Mac font. Gave it a nice retro vibe even at the time.

That's what this font is called? Huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

btw Apple deserves all the kudos in the world for the fact that this iPod is still as easy to load music on in 2022 as it was in 2001, something I certainly can't say of my Nomad Jukebox