Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No respect for expertise these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

A dark day as Twitter user Dr Robert Zands has been suspended.

Elon has killed the bird site.

Twitter will live on in our hearts as long as people talk about "Dr Robert Zands" as though we're meant to know who that is. It's a form of immortality.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

A dark day as Twitter user Dr Robert Zands has been suspended.

Elon has killed the bird site.

I thought we were all about free speech now :thunkher:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
what was he banned for?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rarity posted:

I thought we were all about free speech now :thunkher:

No you see parody accounts have to be labelled. This is still ABSOLUTE FREE SPEECH because

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Twitter will live on in our hearts as long as people talk about "Dr Robert Zands" as though we're meant to know who that is. It's a form of immortality.

bobby sands, from the same twitter handle school as michael take

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Microplastics posted:

No you see parody accounts have to be labelled. This is still ABSOLUTE FREE SPEECH because

But Elon's account isn't labelled :confused:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Rarity posted:

That's a real account for a parody human.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It was a really funny parody/mock account of a liberal centrist idiot who happened to have a name that if you said it allowed sounds a lot like Irish republican Bobby Sands. That has been posted in this thread more than a few times over the years. Unfortunately with the account suspended it's kind of hard to go show examples of why the account was so good but just take my word for it, it was terrific.

As for why, he did the "Change name to Elon Musk" thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Should have gone with Dr Apartheid Emeralds instead

And a profile picture of Musk shopped as Jim Carrey's Robotnik ofc

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

if Twitter just ends up just being Elon Musk and his most rabid fans who pay to post alongside him, that sounds like a win for everyone

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

TACD posted:

if Twitter just ends up just being Elon Musk and his most rabid fans who pay to post alongside him, that sounds like a win for everyone

Humanity was going to save the environment with electric cars and mass transit and ultimately leave the planet and colonise mars before a planetary extinction event....

but someone took the piss online so...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A lot of smaller artists and creative types are only surviving because of Twitter's discoverability and social tools, literally no other social media site has the right combination of stuff that allowed them to grow an audience and customer base like they did on Twitter, and a lot of them are currently terrified of their livelihood dying if Twitter goes. Unfortunately Twitter does have actual utility to some people, it isn't just racists screaming into the void.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Turns out being an influencer isn't a stable job

Sucks if you're a legit artist though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stable jobs suck poo poo though, so hard to blame people for wanting to do anything else.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

youve got to be into horses.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hilariously, they're marking the 'paid for "verification"' (scare quotes because it doesn't appear to actually be verification) separately to the 'notable' check mark.

tbh I suspect Twitter is sunk now - advertisers appear to be fleeing in droves, and how many $8 a month subs do you need to sell to make up for that?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah but has anyone stopped tweeting?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the tweeting doesn't actually make anyone any money, it just feels like it should

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What a pillock:

https://twitter.com/toryboypierce/status/1590296333403189248

VVV apparently it is an actual independence poppy - I stand corrected!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 10, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

josh04 posted:

the tweeting doesn't actually make anyone any money, it just feels like it should

as long as it still feels like it should though then...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It actually is a pro independence white poppy, like it's white with the centre being blue with Yes in white text.

It's really funny and designed to boil gammon piss. Shame she's a TERF.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

It actually is a pro independence white poppy, like it's white with the centre being blue with Yes in white text.

It's really funny and designed to boil gammon piss. Shame she's a TERF.

Oh ok. I stand corrected.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

And they actually are kind of right, if you care about poppies.

smuggling some other political message into your poppy is pretty disrespectful of the initial symbol.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
NHS posting because it has been on my mind:

I've been in and out of hospital as an outpatient for a couple of months for a pretty serious injury. Everybody, be they a consultant, receptionist, nurse, doctor, occupational therapist, physio, surgeon, health care assistant or anybody I'm stupidly forgetting has been loving wonderful and lovely. Way way way above skilled, competent, sympathetic, caring, kind and any other relevant adjective you can think of. And I do mean EVERYBODY.

My elderly Dad's been an inpatient for quite a while with various issues and says the same.

If the Tory fucks gut the NHS as it seems they'd like to then a) we'd both be screwed and b) I might [redacted].

To lessen that last part being a bit doomposting, and I maybe sound sappy, I am very lucky that I have really good friends irl and you lot, although not friends friends are awesome and, although mostly a lurker, I want to thank you and wish the best for you.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Streeting apologises for calling Corbyn senile saying it was a jest.

https://news.sky.com/story/shadow-health-secretary-wes-streeting-apologises-after-saying-jeremy-corbyn-had-gone-senile-12742674

quote:

Figures on the left of the party attacked the remark on Twitter, with columnist Owen Jones calling it "gross" and Labour National Executive Committee (NEC) member Jess Barnard saying: "No one in our party should be using ageist and derogatory mental health slurs, least of all the shadow health secretary."

SNP MP John Nicolson also said it was "wrong" to use the word senile as an "insult", adding: "As someone whose mum had dementia I'm keen that mental health terms are excised from the list of words used as insults."

Mr Streeting later tweeted the comment had been "in jest", but accepted it was "in poor taste". He added: "I've dropped Jeremy a note directly to apologise for any offence caused."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

franco posted:

NHS posting because it has been on my mind:

I've been in and out of hospital as an outpatient for a couple of months for a pretty serious injury. Everybody, be they a consultant, receptionist, nurse, doctor, occupational therapist, physio, surgeon, health care assistant or anybody I'm stupidly forgetting has been loving wonderful and lovely. Way way way above skilled, competent, sympathetic, caring, kind and any other relevant adjective you can think of. And I do mean EVERYBODY.

My elderly Dad's been an inpatient for quite a while with various issues and says the same.

If the Tory fucks gut the NHS as it seems they'd like to then a) we'd both be screwed and b) I might [redacted].

To lessen that last part being a bit doomposting, and I maybe sound sappy, I am very lucky that I have really good friends irl and you lot, although not friends friends are awesome and, although mostly a lurker, I want to thank you and wish the best for you.

Online friends can be very good friends as I have found out in my personal life!
Hope you recover well from your injury.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Red Oktober posted:

tbh I suspect Twitter is sunk now - advertisers appear to be fleeing in droves, and how many $8 a month subs do you need to sell to make up for that?
Before Elon came in, they lost about $4/user each year, meaning they could apparently have covered up the hole in their financial by converting a little over 4% of their uses base to subscribers. For every 10% of advertisement money that flees, they need to convert 1.4% more users to subscribers.

e: The smart thing would've probably been to look at the various free to play games that are still raking in enormous amounts of cash, and figured out how you could trick whales into throwing ten of thousands of dollars at twitter. Like giving them special GOLD tweets or whatever.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 10, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

e: The smart thing would've probably been to look at the various free to play games that are still raking in enormous amounts of cash, and figured out how you could trick whales into throwing ten of thousands of dollars at twitter. Like giving them special GOLD tweets or whatever.

Let's gameyfy twitter! With your GOLD SPECIAL PLUS subscription, just $9.99 a week for your first 6 weeks, lifetime subscription included you will receive a +13 MODIFIER to your SICK ICE BURN ROLLS when tweeting witty insults to your CELEBRITY POSTING ENEMIES! Our new AI PHRASING COMPANION will ensure your ENEMIES will be PWNED and/or DEVASTATED by your new, increased POSTING POWER! Sign up today! Elon loves you!

And given that current AI technology invariably turns into an incredibly racist monstrosity, this would appeal directly to Twitter's core market base. poo poo, hire me Elon, we can still fix this

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And they actually are kind of right, if you care about poppies.

smuggling some other political message into your poppy is pretty disrespectful of the initial symbol.

Poppies haven’t been about remembering the horrors of war for decades now, they are themselves a political symbol.

That fucker on Twitter doesn’t care about dead people, he cares about glorifying the military industrial complex and promoting the idea that all British soldiers are heroes, erasing any nuance about the past in favour of jingoistic love for our brave boys.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1590388356365438977

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He's got Major BDE and I'm tired of pretending he doesn't

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
invest in y-fronts stocks now imo

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's got Major BDE and I'm tired of pretending he doesn't

Edwina?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I'm glad she got that good pipe. Kind of horrifying that Major is legitimately the most fuckable PM of my lifetime tho, they really are an extremely mutated bunch

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Rarity posted:

You only have to label yourself a parody, not a fraud.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah but has anyone stopped tweeting?

Everyone except for the bots

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I must say I just saw an excerpt of I'm A Celebrity with Hancock getting covered in slurry and shrieking, him failing to articulate why he's there, and Boy George getting mardy about his being there; I now think it was a fantastic decision

E: don't think being doused in slurry is sufficient punishment for his ministerial performance, but oh well can't gouge 200k eyes from a single head so this will have to do

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 10, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I see 8 dollar verification is going exactly as well as predicted
https://twitter.com/MPTonyBlair/status/1590616520865943552
e: for if/when it gets taken down

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Tony resigned as an MP mid-2007, are we supposed to believe that he was such an early adopter of Twitter that he would have registered an account months after they went public? Tsk, I hope half of Twitter got fired for this blunder