Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

I bought this on a recommendation in the RPG thread, and noticed it had a very recent patch, so I decided to wait until thing slowed down so it'd be more complete.

They never did and I kept seeing "added new area/plot segment" stuff in them so I guess it's gonna sit there until somebody mentions the main plot at least is complete, yeah.

You might be waiting a while, I think it's been getting consistently patched since like... 2016. It's some real auteur poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ciaphas posted:

that new 8bitdo ultimate bluetooth looks pretty sweet, in particular

They never feel heavy enough to me. I know they're good but they never quite hit my ergonomics or feel. I'm glad someone is doing controllers better than the mad Katz poo poo I went through

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I've heard good things about this GuliKit controller recently, mostly for the price (around US$50) and the fact that is has hall effect sensor analog sticks so they're less susceptible to stick drift.

I haven't had my hands on one myself so I can't tell if it's just marketing hype but I may pick one up if I see it around. It might be crappy feeling cheap junk plastic for all I know!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Serephina posted:

I stopped and looked at the game you're talking about and yea, it looks a lot like wank material for a certain clientle.

The weird thing is, I don't think that's what the game actually is? It looks in almost every respect to be a fairly sobering look at the attention-seeking streamer mindset, and potential reactions and outcomes depending on how it's managed (such as choosing to dump fuel on the fire), but framed with a cutesy presentation. Vaguely DDLC-meets-Undertale but without all the fourth-wall-breaking creepypasta metanarrative. That one line is something I'd expect to see well into the "choosing to dump fuel on the fire" route though, it is a deeply upsetting and flippant response in that particular context.

Serephina posted:

I actually ran across the polar opposite of it a while ago: in the game Tyranny, you've given several different ways to play out your alliances, but the game keeps bending over backwards to allow you to change your mind. I was consistently a loyal and transparent mook, and every single motherfucker took my straight-edge lines with a nudge and a wink. At the end of the game after 40+ hours of saying the same thing, the climax still had a "press this button to betray your boss since clearly you've been lying this entire time" and I could not roll my eyes hard enough.

Amazing. Even assuming you have the option not to push the Betray button that sounds unintentionally hilarious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

I stopped and looked at the game you're talking about and yea, it looks a lot like wank material for a certain clientle.

For the topic the others assumed you meant, it's a good thing to muse about with regards to player agency and the sham thereof. I think Stanley Parable did a very good take on it, even if not many people have the patience to put up with the preamble and seeming pretentiousness of some of the endings.

I actually ran across the polar opposite of it a while ago: in the game Tyranny, you've given several different ways to play out your alliances, but the game keeps bending over backwards to allow you to change your mind. I was consistently a loyal and transparent mook, and every single motherfucker took my straight-edge lines with a nudge and a wink. At the end of the game after 40+ hours of saying the same thing, the climax still had a "press this button to betray your boss since clearly you've been lying this entire time" and I could not roll my eyes hard enough.

Well your boss was also trying to betray you first so you'd have to be the dumbest motherfucker on earth to remain loyal.

The devs later added the option to because a lot of people really, really were that dumb. Or fascist.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

terrible god-tyrant sempai who is trying to kill me is really just tsundere, honest

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The entire point of Tyranny is it's unique setting, if I wanted to play an underdog good guy I could have any other RPG on the planet. The very idea of playing the unironic bad guy doing bad guy things in a world where evil has already won is an *amazing* hook, not my fault the devs didn't initially write an ending where you get thrown in the saarlac pit for your loyalty.

I tried Pillars of Eternity II afterwards as I was told the combat was much better and it was like bottled narcolepsy, a real coming-to-god moment where I realized I hate these types of games why am I doing this to myself? The world is in trouble and only you, yes YOU, can save the gods! snoooore

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 10, 2022

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Serephina posted:

bottled narcolepsy

Stealing this for future use

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Or you could be smart, ambitious, and ruthless enough to seize power yourself. Which is what they had clearly intended to be the ending for evil characters, because what self-respecting villain would just lie down and take it if their boss tried to eliminate them?

Obsidian wrote a setting where they could tell a dark, complex story, but in writing a world where Wizard Hitler Won and You're their Special Boy they wound up attracting an audience they, foolishly, hadn't foreseen. The idiot, unambitious bootlicker.

So they patched in a copout ending to satisfy them, one the text wasn't really prepared for.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thing is, there are even fewer games where you get to play as an evil sniveling toady so I feel like you can't blame people for trying it.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Did anyone give Soulstone Survivors a shot yet? Its another take on the VS / Brotato genre

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2066020/Soulstone_Survivors/

The upgrade system looks pretty good too.

its slick, if a bit soulless and it runs surprisingly well on the deck, even when the screen is full of explosions. the content isnt really there yet though, you got 5 samey levels to grind and the crafting system only has one upgrade available for like 5 of the dozen different characters in the game.

but i do enjoy the builds with screenspanning grenade launcher salvos firing at machine gun speeds.

if they actually continue to add content to it its gonna be a nice game for people who have endless grind brainworms and like the bargain bin blizzard look.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Runa posted:

Or you could be smart, ambitious, and ruthless enough to seize power yourself. Which is what they had clearly intended to be the ending for evil characters, because what self-respecting villain would just lie down and take it if their boss tried to eliminate them?

Obsidian wrote a setting where they could tell a dark, complex story, but in writing a world where Wizard Hitler Won and You're their Special Boy they wound up attracting an audience they, foolishly, hadn't foreseen. The idiot, unambitious bootlicker.

So they patched in a copout ending to satisfy them, one the text wasn't really prepared for.

So you're saying the ending for evil ruthless characters is exactly the same ending as for noble paragons? Funny how that initially worked out.

My actual initial choice at the start, when being asked to ally yourself with assholes A or B, was to tell them both to go get bent, but the devs had written a "thou must" clause for that so whatever. The illusion of player agency and all that!

And chill out about other people taking different paths, geez. Thank god you're not a game dev, or we'd never has stuff like V:tM or Deus Ex endings. Or Tyranny.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not the one complaining about Tyranny's writing.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Serephina posted:

I tried Pillars of Eternity II afterwards as I was told the combat was much better and it was like bottled narcolepsy, a real coming-to-god moment where I realized I hate these types of games why am I doing this to myself? The world is in trouble and only you, yes YOU, can save the gods! snoooore

I 100% know what you are saying and this doesn't dispute that in any way but I am contractually obligated to point out that in Pillars of Eternity 2 you can be on team "gently caress the gods" the entire time.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had a lot of fun doing a hard lawful play through in tyranny where I annoyed everyone by being strictly by the book. Playing lawful usually sucks but it was a nice diversion to be judge dredd.

I don't recall the ending I got at all. I know I didn't ally with any rebel scum. I think it was something like going independent but only because boss man didn't follow the rules properly either. Fear the magically empowered hall monitor.

It's a shame we'll never get a sequel. It ended on a great place to start a strategy game

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think it's smart to consider the add-on ending in Tyranny to be for irl fascists but not all the other fascist character routes. It's the same with the patched ending content for mass effect 3

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that's just the canon ending

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I... guess this is supposed to be the game's way of hint-hint nudge-nudging you that that is an option? And I'm sure it'll be played off as a joke. Still, I legitimately can't get past that. ...This could be a novel method of dropping a plot twist that our character Was The Villain The Whole Time!!! or something, especially if we weren't being given decision agency, but this ain't that. Either I'm playing a psychopath or I'm not, make up your mind.

spoilers but the player character doesn't exist, you are actually her

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are they ever going to change the automatic updates back to downloading right away instead of waiting for 1-5 days? This was a pandemic change because steam had more users than ever for a while there IIRC but man it's annoying when I go to play something and there's a pending update that is scheduled to download next tuesday or whatever.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tyranny is a roleplaying game and the role I played was that of the ambitious bootlicking toady that wanted to be Their absolute favorite :shobon:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This. So, so much this. Disregard my robot, my ghoul, or my supermutant companion(s) for whom the task would be harmless or even helpful--I must personally perform this task that will kill me!

You can buy one of the bodyguards of the head slaver and while she is completely obedient, she can't do that final task either. And there's also the very noble paladin of the local Brotherhood of Steel spin-off (who didn't get the memo that they're supposed to be self-serving pricks hoarding old technology).

That leaves Butch and Jericho. And Dogmeat, but they already died to a hallway of tripmines how would you instruct your loyal, four-footed friend on what to do?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 10, 2022

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Pigbuster posted:

Thing is, there are even fewer games where you get to play as an evil sniveling toady so I feel like you can't blame people for trying it.

nah there's quite a few games where you play as a cop

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I couldn't get into Tyranny, just wasn't my cup of tea. Pillars 2, though, is my favorite of those kinds of games. Super great.

I'd still recommend trying Tyranny, though. Its setting is pretty unique and you may get more out of it than I did.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always thought Tyranny presented itself as "Sauron's Middle Manager Simulator" so finding out it wasn't that was a huge turn off. That's a pretty novel concept to have though, someone should do it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Risutora posted:

its slick, if a bit soulless and it runs surprisingly well on the deck, even when the screen is full of explosions. the content isnt really there yet though, you got 5 samey levels to grind and the crafting system only has one upgrade available for like 5 of the dozen different characters in the game.

but i do enjoy the builds with screenspanning grenade launcher salvos firing at machine gun speeds.

if they actually continue to add content to it its gonna be a nice game for people who have endless grind brainworms and like the bargain bin blizzard look.

Thanks! I bought it because it was $9 and worth a shot.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

spoilers but the player character doesn't exist, you are actually her

Interesting. I only know about this game from the last couple pages but the description sounds extremely gross especially in light of what happened recently with Amouranth. (For those who don't follow online drama in that sphere, it was revealed she is married to an incredibly abusive rear end in a top hat who psychologically dominated her and would threaten to kill her animals if she didn't stream all the loving time, and a long list of other horrible abusive things)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The best part of Tyranny is purposely misinterpreting your orders while still obeying them. "You said take your army to the rebel camp and kill everyone. So I killed the rebels and also your army."

Then the deified concept of Lawfulness is like "yep, he's right"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

big cummers ONLY posted:

Interesting. I only know about this game from the last couple pages but the description sounds extremely gross especially in light of what happened recently with Amouranth. (For those who don't follow online drama in that sphere, it was revealed she is married to an incredibly abusive rear end in a top hat who psychologically dominated her and would threaten to kill her animals if she didn't stream all the loving time, and a long list of other horrible abusive things)

I think it is ultimately a good game, it skirts those lines fairly well, is ultimately quite critical of the impact streaming has on streamers and that twist (which is blatantly obvious if you play the game for any amount of time) absolves it of that particular can of worms.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Jimbot posted:

I couldn't get into Tyranny, just wasn't my cup of tea. Pillars 2, though, is my favorite of those kinds of games. Super great.

I'd still recommend trying Tyranny, though. Its setting is pretty unique and you may get more out of it than I did.

What keeps me from enjoying Tyranny is the first ten minutes bombards you with such a glossary dump of words and phrases that sound an awful lot like words and phrases from our world but are entirely different.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

The best part of Tyranny is purposely misinterpreting your orders while still obeying them. "You said take your army to the rebel camp and kill everyone. So I killed the rebels and also your army."

Then the deified concept of Lawfulness is like "yep, he's right"

The game letting me be an rear end in a top hat rules-lawyer was extremely funny.

I think the funniest detail is the in-game time limit which adds a lot of pressure but conveniently doesn't specify what year, so....

credburn posted:

What keeps me from enjoying Tyranny is the first ten minutes bombards you with such a glossary dump of words and phrases that sound an awful lot like words and phrases from our world but are entirely different.

If it's any help, after the CYOA intro they cut the loredumps to a minimum. And every goofy-rear end fantasy name is a mouse-over hypertext with a two-sentence description. It was great, I didn't have to remember a drat thing.

E: I might actually have enjoyed Pillars of Eternity if they had figured out hypertext descriptions by that time.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 10, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Tyranny is the first game to use the hypertext mouse over thing for lore, AND the first game to immediately subvert it by having Nerat use them to telepathically speak to you.

Also, there are so many opportunities to be a rules lawyering rear end in a top hat. Yeah, you are trapped in the machine of an autocracy and you come with privilege, so you can be a complete bastard to a lot of people and they can't touch you directly.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
There's a big Utawarerumono sale going on, so I can finally try it out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/997010/Police_Simulator_Patrol_Officers/

You can't even plant cocaine baggies on suspects or get away with shooting fleeing suspects because I cannot be bothered chasing them. Completely unrealistic game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

explosivo posted:

Are they ever going to change the automatic updates back to downloading right away instead of waiting for 1-5 days? This was a pandemic change because steam had more users than ever for a while there IIRC but man it's annoying when I go to play something and there's a pending update that is scheduled to download next tuesday or whatever.

its not been a pandemic thing, this was introduced in 2017 or 2018

not really a fan either though but I don't think it will be removed anytime soon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/997010/Police_Simulator_Patrol_Officers/

You can't even plant cocaine baggies on suspects or get away with shooting fleeing suspects because I cannot be bothered chasing them. Completely unrealistic game.

lol

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, Tyranny is a game I've tried to play twice. It is right besides Alpha Protocol in "game that would be great with less gameplay", because the setting and story is great, but the combat is boring as hell and there's a relevant amount of it.

And it's just frigging dire, it is like four different human templates and then Windows Media Player visualisation monsters.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the real Tyranny was the wisps we beat up along the way

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

explosivo posted:

If there are specific games you're talking about, you can set them to high priority in the game settings under "Updates" and they'll always download immediately.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

To whoever recommended lunacid: it's good

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Runa posted:

the real Tyranny was the wisps we beat up along the way

I just wanted to finally get that guy out of the armor he was entombed in and into the bathtub with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CRPGs just have generally awful combat.

I played through Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous recently and the combat system got annoying really loving fast but I got pretty invested in the story so I just cheated away all the combat annoyances and it was totally worth it.