Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

[Russia sent an enormous column right for Kyiv Tbilisi, did you memory hole that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

i don't think either side wants it enough

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

yeah what you're negotiating for with a lightning strike at the capital is outright capitulation

Yes, but i highly doubt Russia planned to take the city, it was a stupid gamble betting on Kiev buckling under pressure but Kiev called the bluff.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Russia's war aim from the start has been to annex Ukraine at least up through Kyiv and the war is ongoing, no one has really "settled" for anything, least of all Russia which is actively mobilizing a huge number of men

remember when Iraq became the 51st state after the US put troops in Baghdad

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think the first time around they did think they would take the city, but after the forces defending it only just gave up. It was pretty clear they weren't prepared for a true urban assault.

As for annexation goals, I would assume it is was at least Eastern Ukraine, Kiev itself is sort of debatable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1590440528805474304

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

mao, stalin, lenin, marx, ho chi minh, engels, che would all have believed the same things i do

yep

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

V. Illych L. posted:

it's a huge river crossing and a major prize for the russians, as well as claimed territory. it's politically a very costly move to abandon it, even if it's militarily more trouble than it's worth

Again, I think Putin has come to face the fact that he has to fight a down-to-basic military war instead of political or hybrid war. East side of the river is still a huge area roughly the size of a medium european country. So they can change that narrative machine and advertise that stat instead.

Also, seeing the new military command is the third? replacement, I think the army has more voice pushing for defensible goal.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

We need to have understanding and compassion. Vox Nihili read some super retarded post for a few months and this is his chance for catharsis. How about we let the man vent.

Bad news about what kind of posts he's going to have to read for next few months though

dk2m
May 6, 2009

quote:

The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation reports that the withdrawal of troops from the right bank of the Dnieper continues in accordance with the plan. The enemy continues to cautiously occupy the abandoned positions of the RF Armed Forces, fearing some kind of trick.

@boris_rozhin

Russians are now saying that Ukrainians are occupying it’s abandoned territory

meanwhile, the us via our Joint Chief of staff is now saying 100K casualties on both sides. AFAIK, that’s the first time Ukrainian casualties have been estimated at being anywhere near that high from an official in the US. if this is remotely true, holy poo poo this war is absolutely loving brutal and pointless.

https://twitter.com/rferl/status/1590616051305263105?s=46&t=raWJ1vBxyGWwJrn37bsl9Q

he also mentioned that the pull-out will take weeks from Russia which does make sense. ukraine regaining Kherson city is going to be a massive W when they start flooding western media again, which means the weapons will keep flowing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dk2m posted:

he also mentioned that the pull-out will take weeks from Russia which does make sense. ukraine regaining Kherson city is going to be a massive W when they start flooding western media again, which means the weapons will keep flowing

Admittedly, the Russians could take advantage of this if they actually pushed elsewhere on the field as they slowly withdrew in Kherson but does seem pretty extreme timidity, on their part. It is a good question as well as why they have treated the entire northern frontier as especially off limits which has given them few to none tactical options as Ukrainian forces are dug in everywhere else.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Nov 10, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

samogonka posted:

Yes, but i highly doubt Russia planned to take the city, it was a stupid gamble betting on Kiev buckling under pressure but Kiev called the bluff.

Which we saw the Atlantic Council say NATO told them to because NATO saw Tbilisi agreeing to a ceasefire when the capital was threatened as a betrayal.

The lessons from the Georgia War for NATO are clear which is why the Russian hopes to freeze or negotiate and end to the conflict are delusional given Ukrainian politics.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:13 on Nov 10, 2022

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, the Russians could take advantage of this if they actually pushed elsewhere on the field as they slowly withdrew in Kherson but does seem pretty extreme timidity, on their part. It is a good question as well as why they have treated the entire northern frontier as especially off limits which has given them few to none tactical options as Ukrainian forces are dug in everywhere else.

a Turkish reporter I follow has said this

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1590663405215834112?s=46&t=raWJ1vBxyGWwJrn37bsl9Q

haven’t seen the source yet so idk if true but Ukraine has pushed 7km from 2 directions in a war that wagner is fighting months for inches.

to your point, it makes 0 sense to me as why no other front is being broken through. I’m also not convinced that this is a sign of an exhausted state - the infrastructure strikes have worked and mobilization is complete, according to Russia.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

dk2m posted:

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1590663405215834112?s=46&t=raWJ1vBxyGWwJrn37bsl9Q

haven’t seen the source yet so idk if true but Ukraine has pushed 7km from 2 directions in a war that wagner is fighting months for inches.

to your point, it makes 0 sense to me as why no other front is being broken through. I’m also not convinced that this is a sign of an exhausted state - the infrastructure strikes have worked and mobilization is complete, according to Russia.

What do you mean it's pretty obvious the russians are exhausted why else would they be losing so hard.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
the escalatory rhetoric, from Belarus potentially opening up a new front in the north, to frantic phone calls about dirty bombs and the use of tactical nukes seem completely absurd in light of abandoning what is ostensibly your own territory after you claimed it was via a referendum

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

Again, I think Putin has come to face the fact that he has to fight a down-to-basic military war instead of political or hybrid war.

I don’t think so. I was reading something by the author of Osprey’s modern Russian military titles, because they have a new volume “Putin’s Wars” coming out, and my impression is that even experts on the Russian military don’t understand why “continuation of politics by other means” has been taken to extremes where it seriously degrades military operations.

It’s almost a cliche on substack, telegram and twitter that the Very Smart Russia Commentators will talk about 4D chess, and not wanting to harm a brother nation, leaving undamaged infrastructure in the future, restore relationships and good feeling with Ukraine and Western Europe, the limits of the Special Military Operation but - so far as I can tell - Russia has benefited from none of those constraints and been harmed by all of them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dk2m posted:

Yeah, or at least some pressure being applied if only for morale reasons. Admittedly, Ukraine's infrastructure isn't shut down entirely, but supposedly Russian reservists are on the field but there doesn't seem to be any appetite for serious combat.

Around Bakhmut/Soledar, the Ukrainians have been dug in, it makes sense any progress has been slow, but the question is usually why the Russians don't try pushing on other fronts. It really is a little odd and has been for a while.

Granted, you could also argue that they shouldn't have pulled from the North entirely and especially north-east of Kiev there was defensible ground they could have held on to and at least could have occupied Ukrainian forces while other forces pushed into the Donbas. There isn't an opportunity the Russian general staff won't ignore.

Hell, they could take out the entire electrical grid and I assume they would expect the Ukrainians to wave the white flag.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Nov 10, 2022

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

What do you mean it's pretty obvious the russians are exhausted why else would they be losing so hard.

i think that’s a fair charge against them but against the backdrop of their macro economic conditions being better off than before the war, I think putin being a moderate (relative to actual Russian nationalists like Medvedev or Ragozin) is what’s causing these lurches instead of the lack of raw materials to fight a war, and that’s including human lives too which Russia doesn’t care about no matter how much they try and say they do

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

imho Russia has had to walk a tightrope of escalation between keeping China happy and not triggering even more USA response on the one hand and reaching its goals on the other

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

The Russians don't try pushing on other fronts. It really is a little odd and has been for a while.

dk2m posted:

ukraine regaining Kherson city is going to be a massive W when they start flooding western media again, which means the weapons will keep flowing

It has politics written all over it. My sense is that Putin, or whoever, sees this ending in negotiations and so doesn’t want to play in blood for what might be obtained through talks. So, they avoid battle at all costs, reasoning than an intact army, an “army in being” is a negotiating chip.

They’re just waiting for the Ukrainian state to “inevitably” collapse, as US and EU aid dries up. The thing is, all opposition parties and media are banned, the entire state is for sale to continue the war, and aid will keep flowing as long as Ukraine is victorious, so that’s not likely, is it? More pointedly, giving them victories without firing a shot is at cross purposes with forcing them to the table.

It’s the logic of a ruling class, I imagine oligarchs want their assets unfrozen which wouldn’t happen with outright military victory.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:31 on Nov 10, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am open to the argument that Russia has not won but we can at least agree as FF points out that Ukraine did not win at all.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shitlibs pretending to be flummoxed by the establishment punching left you say?

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, or at least some pressure being applied if only for moral reasons. Admittedly, Ukraine's infrastructure isn't shut down entirely, but supposedly Russian reservists are on the field but there doesn't seem to be any appetite for serious combat.

Around Bakhmut/Soledar, the Ukrainians have been dug in, it makes sense any progress has been slow, but the question is usually why the Russians don't try pushing on other fronts. It really is a little odd and has been for a while.

the only reasons i can think of is that russia is either settling for a long term semi-frozen conflict or that they're very carefully husbanding their forces for an actual decisive offensive

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What kills me is the entire western media was saying London and DC demanded Ukraine take Kherson before winter, it was do or die for Kiev, and Russia gave it up without a fight.

If you know quite clearly what a critical objective is for the enemy, just letting them walk in isn’t seen as a good faith gesture by a party willing to negotiate, it’s seen as a sign that if you keep massing and pressing then you can get everything you want on the battlefield.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Frosted Flake posted:

What kills me is the entire western media was saying London and DC demanded Ukraine take Kherson before winter, it was do or die for Kiev, and Russia gave it up without a fight.

If you know quite clearly what a critical objective is for the enemy, just letting them walk in isn’t seen as a good faith gesture by a party willing to negotiate, it’s seen as a sign that if you keep massing and pressing then you can get everything you want on the battlefield.

Why are you putting more thought and emotional investment into this than the russians, they're clearly incompetent losers who live in a fantasy land, if they dont want to learn anything and keep losing all the better so ukraine can win faster and the war will end.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
this is the state that we as the United States have elevated to Hitler status as well

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

the only reasons i can think of is that russia is either settling for a long term semi-frozen conflict or that they're very carefully husbanding their forces for an actual decisive offensive

It is hard to see a semi-frozen conflict being in its long-term interests, and while a greater offensive is possible, there are not really giving the Russian citizenry to go on. Perhaps, the Kremlin is so isolated it does think this is all working out and he only had to make vague threats of action to get a result. Putin is used to getting what he wants, and seems to have a hard time mentally accepting that degree of power only goes as far as the Russian border.

He has put all these reservists together, but would he actually risk significant casualties on their part to take objectives? Admittedly, more recently a Russian brigade took some losses, not catastrophic but noteworthy, and Russian telegram was abuzz about how many generals that should be fired etc etc. The Ukrainians have taken as many if not greater casualties and comparatively shrugged them off. Admittedly, I think Russians have a right to ask what is going on, and there is a growing trust gap at this point as Putin has worked himself into a corner where he either has to make a politically risky move like an actual offensive or be forced into a full scale defeat.

I would say the issue is that offensive would have to be a full-scale one where losses are taken and the territory that is taken, is held. I don't know if Putin is ready to do that, and may prefer to let the West box him in. That said, the messaging about "our # 1 priority is our soldiers lives' sort of belies that. Russia isn't in a position where it can't take losses without simply throwing in the towel.

If past experience is anything to go by, they are going to bank on infrastructure damage and the winter to "obtain victory for them" while the Ukrainians slowly reposition their launchers to start hitting the infrastructure between Mariupol and Crimea, which seems to be the next weakest spot. It would certainly be ironic, if the Ukrainians literally pushed them back to pre-war borders and the Russians had to just accept losing their currency reserves with absolutely no gain. It wouldn't be enough to end the Russian Federation, but it would show the absolute paralysis in the Kremlin in a way that wouldn't be so different than the Soviet Union during the 1980s. I wouldn’t say this is a prediction but this seems to be the way the Russians have allowed thing to evolve.

Admittedly, I don't think a break-up could happen again; I honestly don't think China would allow it and would keep bankrolling them to keep the country together. It is just the Russia will be a hapless vassal state. In the broader strategic sense, I don't think the US can actually win the victory it wants, it didn't need to just humilitate Russia but break it in such a way they could push regime change, but the opposite happened and now Russia is nearly completely reliant on China.

The next question is if the Chiense can learn from the history of their vassal, and if a decision happens over Taiwan, will they allow political expediency to box them in.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Nov 10, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

Why are you putting more thought and emotional investment into this than the russians, they're clearly incompetent losers who live in a fantasy land, if they dont want to learn anything and keep losing all the better so ukraine can win faster and the war will end.

Because I work for incompetent losers who live in fantasy land and part of my job entails they do as little harm as possible while not getting killed in the process.

See: holding the most restive province of Afghanistan with one third of a formation tailored to meet minimum commitments to II Corps Reserve in West Germany.

e: Actually, originally they sent a force that was a near-copy of the ones sent to Bosnia, Kosovo and Cyprus. Then we got pressured to Do More, and there you have it, TFK.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:50 on Nov 10, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol what was originally under the black bar tattoo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/11/10/22/kfc-germany-sorry-for-kristallnacht-chicken-promo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1590668092123893760?s=20&t=FvWPf871zFEIptUa1hkfiw

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol what was originally under the black bar tattoo

"I will Make you Hurt" from a Nine Inch Nails song.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

theyve formally annexed the rest of the territory they've taken, you'd have to have your head up your rear end to think they wouldn't have taken Kyiv if the initial plan had worked out

of course everyone was saying outright annexation wasn't going to happen either, just a few months after they said war wasn't going to happen

people here really believe the razor-thin half-assed cover story casus belli, it's incredibly sad

We don't believe your premise because it's loving stupid. There is so much evidence that Russia doesn't want the whole country that you are ignoring entirely to prop up Russia as turbo Hitler or whatever. They're an incompetent invading army that cant even hold the footprint they said they do want.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Crymetimeboys posted:

"For us the life and health of Russian servicemen is always a priority. We must also take into account the threat for the civilian population," the defense chief emphasized.

Yeah, hard to imagine them not volunteering for another Mariupol style urban warfare shitfest

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

There is so much evidence that Russia doesn't want the whole country that you are ignoring entirely to prop up Russia as turbo Hitler or whatever. They're an incompetent invading army that cant even hold the footprint they said they do want.

it's brilliant because any claims that Russia didn't actually want to annex more of Ukraine is just deflected by saying that they did, just that the Ukrainians stopped them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's brilliant because any claims that Russia didn't actually want to annex more of Ukraine is just deflected by saying that they did, just that the Ukrainians stopped them

That’s the problem with any of their attempts to freeze or end the conflict too. They will have to take the field and bloody the Ukrainians to produce a convincing result and Russian leadership is flinching away from that regardless of the circumstances.

Giving Ukraine a bloody nose at Kherson might have done something to check enthusiasm for aid going into winter but now there’s no reason for it to stop.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Lord of Pie posted:

Yeah, hard to imagine them not volunteering for another Mariupol style urban warfare shitfest

the red backpack guy videos were insane, my friends who are iraq vets were pretty shaken by it

(there’s no gore or anything except Russian edited urban warfare, mods if unacceptable I’ll snip this out)

https://youtu.be/iKgj7oCAd5Q

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It is hard to see a semi-frozen conflict being in its long-term interests, and while a greater offensive is possible, there are not really giving the Russian citizenry to go on. Perhaps, the Kremlin is so isolated it does think this is all working out and he only had to make vague threats of action to get a result. Putin is used to getting what he wants, and seems to have a hard time mentally accepting that degree of power only goes as far as the Russian border.

He has put all these reservists together, but would he actually risk significant casualties on their part to take objectives? Admittedly, more recently a Russian brigade took some losses, not catastrophic but noteworthy, and Russian telegram was abuzz about how many generals that should be fired etc etc. The Ukrainians have taken as many if not greater casualties and comparatively shrugged them off. Admittedly, I think Russians have a right to ask what is going on, and there is a growing trust gap at this point as Putin has worked himself into a corner where he either has to make a politically risky move like an actual offensive or be forced into a full scale defeat.

I would say the issue is that offensive would have to be a full-scale one where losses are taken and the territory that is taken, is held. I don't know if Putin is ready to do that, and may prefer to let the West box him in. That said, the messaging about "our # 1 priority is our soldiers lives' sort of belies that. Russia isn't in a position where it can't take losses without simply throwing in the towel.

If past experience is anything to go by, they are going to bank on infrastructure damage and the winter to "obtain victory for them" while the Ukrainians slowly reposition their launchers to start hitting the infrastructure between Mariupol and Crimea, which seems to be the next weakest spot. It would certainly be ironic, if the Ukrainians literally pushed them back to pre-war borders and the Russians had to just accept losing their currency reserves with absolutely no gain. It wouldn't be enough to end the Russian Federation, but it would show the absolute paralysis in the Kremlin in a way that wouldn't be so different than the Soviet Union during the 1980s. I wouldn’t say this is a prediction but this seems to be the way the Russians have allowed thing to evolve.

If that's the end result it will be a sign as sure as Brexit or Covid that Russia has entered terminal capitalist decline and is losing its capacity for even basic governance. Still, that just puts them on par with West on the collapse timeline...

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Theyve been hyping the kherson offensive since like loving may too lmao so its not like it was a big surprise, the russians coulda built like a fuckin maginot line over there by now

dk2m
May 6, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Theyve been hyping the kherson offensive since like loving may too lmao so its not like it was a big surprise, the russians coulda built like a fuckin maginot line over there by now

it’s so funny that they drafted 300 thousand people and then immediately abandoned the capital of a region they just annexed, Russia is the cleveland browns of strategy

even NAFO is taking it easy on the usual pro-z Twitter accounts because they’re dooming so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

What kills me is the entire western media was saying London and DC demanded Ukraine take Kherson before winter, it was do or die for Kiev,

That’s not true. I’m not sure where you are getting that idea. In fact, the US gov has been messaging pretty plainly that high risk moves by Ukraine are absolutely not required to maintain support and may be detrimental.