Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hellioning posted:

I'm not sure how you can simultaneously claim you don't like moe but you want CLAMP to design the characters.

That is a good call, I was thinking of how the linework looks like it's by that GaoGaiGar guy. But I do love 90s shoujo etc. Escaflowne is another Sunrise show with cool character design to me etc. And X was rad.

(Takahiro Kimura is that designer on Geass etc)

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=7669

Editor's note: it is funny that actually some people from GaoGaiGar are indeed on the Witch show.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

That is a good call, I was thinking of how the linework looks like it's by that GaoGaiGar guy. But I do love 90s shoujo etc. Escaflowne is another Sunrise show with cool character design to me etc. And X was rad.

(Takahiro Kimura is that designer on Geass etc)

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=7669

Editor's note: it is funny that actually some people from GaoGaiGar are indeed on the Witch show.

Either watch the show or don't, but stop trying to become the main character of the thread with your piping hot takes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh he literally hasn't even seen the show lmao

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

People coming into a fan discussion space expecting anything other than people saying "yeah it's good" is always kinda funny to me

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'd say ZZ and X are the most moe Gundams.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

aerial is very adorable, for a big ol MS

Kokoro Wish posted:

Is it wrong that I find this absolutely adorable?

:kimchi:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cirina posted:

One bit of evidence against the '21 years ago' line referring to the Vanadis attack is that in episode 2 during the interrogation, they ask her if she's part of Vanadis, which is a bit of a weird question to ask a 17 year old if the organization was destroyed four years before she was born.

Folkvangr* (the asteroid base) was destroyed, but if they're asking about Vanadis Institute membership we can presume they still exist (or are suspected to exist) underground.

*skimming the Wikipedia article, this refers to a kind of alternative Valhalla ruled by the goddess Freya.

I've been puzzling about the "21 years" line, and looking at the prologue it doesn't seem to me that Elnora is being driven by some kind of deadly pre-existing grudge at that time. She's missing an arm, yes, but that's presented alongside the idea that these cybernetics are essential for long-term human survival in space. She's stressed out before the attack on Folkvangr, but this is only in the context of their research being at risk of being shut down, not in anticipation of an armed attack.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Truly, the peak of art with abosultely no moemoe elements present at all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Moleman is moe

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Folkvangr* (the asteroid base) was destroyed, but if they're asking about Vanadis Institute membership we can presume they still exist (or are suspected to exist) underground.

*skimming the Wikipedia article, this refers to a kind of alternative Valhalla ruled by the goddess Freya.

I've been puzzling about the "21 years" line, and looking at the prologue it doesn't seem to me that Elnora is being driven by some kind of deadly pre-existing grudge at that time. She's missing an arm, yes, but that's presented alongside the idea that these cybernetics are essential for long-term human survival in space. She's stressed out before the attack on Folkvangr, but this is only in the context of their research being at risk of being shut down, not in anticipation of an armed attack.

What if Elnora's husband, and Eri's father, was 21 at the time of the attack? '21-year-old man' could have fit, and makes Bel's words seem even more callous. But it could be something else.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

What if Elnora's husband, and Eri's father, was 21 at the time of the attack? '21-year-old man' could have fit, and makes Bel's words seem even more callous. But it could be something else.

No, that's not how the grammar works in japanese. It's definitely revenge for something that happened 21 years ago

今更21年前の復讐なんて無意味ですよ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
return to the 90s, before moe infected mecha anime

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gripweed posted:

return to the 90s, before moe infected mecha anime

I'm sorry, ma'am, but it looks like your case of Anime Eyes is terminal

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

galagazombie posted:

“You can’t just assume they have cloning tech. Now let’s assume they have cryogenic tech.”

Tech levels had nothing to do with those theories. It's a Gundam show, they're gonna have whatever tech they need for the plot!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tamba posted:

No, that's not how the grammar works in japanese. It's definitely revenge for something that happened 21 years ago

今更21年前の復讐なんて無意味ですよ

Fair enough. Just a thought that kept popping into my head reading all of this.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

galagazombie posted:

“You can’t just assume they have cloning tech. Now let’s assume they have cryogenic tech.”

My biggest beef with this particular piece of tinfoil is why the gently caress would a mobile suit--a short-range combatant--have its cockpit configured as a cryogenetic sleep pod?

Even ignoring the "do they have the tech question" this is somehow even sillier than "Ariel ate Eri/Prospera shoved Eri's brain into Ariel."

Are you Gaius' alt account?

More seriously: I also think older pre-digital designs tend to look more visually appealing, but I also think looking at the character design alone and going "oh this is cutsy trash" is brainworms level of reductive. There's a vast gulf between, oh, G-Witch or Knight's & Magic and something like loving Dragon Maid. Genre, plot, design, sound, and very importantly franchise all factor into things. Further, as someone who isn't really immersed in anime trends, I don't really see a huge difference between G-Witch and something like Build Fighters/BFT in the design department. They aren't the same, but they're close enough that I don't get where your point is coming from.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Heavy Metal posted:

What's the takes so far? I heard some really enjoyed the first ep. I'm optimistic, but the school setting and whatnot has me a little less excited. Although I did enjoy Code Geass, by this writer I think.

I like my Gundam a little more oldschool-ish, and it seems every anime is kids in school more than ever. Plus I liked how even High School anime characters in the 80s or 90s seemed like they were 27. Kind of like in 80s and 90s films. But if it rocks it rocks.

Show is good. If you're curious, just watch an episode or two instead of trying to debate with us whether you should watch it. Or hell, look up some clips on Youtube.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

People coming into a fan discussion space expecting anything other than people saying "yeah it's good" is always kinda funny to me

Well this person has not actually even watched to the show to decide if it's bad or good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm glad that they're not going full in on high school stuff because I'm not really here for that. More fights and chuchu punching, skip the culture fest stuff and instead give me a hardware expo where the corpos show off their new mobile suits to buyers. Just everything about the school being corporatized so we don't feel bad when it explodes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 10, 2022

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

We all know the best high school anime was Cromartie so what this high school needs is a Freddy. They are close enough to a Mechazawa I won't ask for it yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kdrudy posted:

We all know the best high school anime was Cromartie so what this high school needs is a Freddy. They are close enough to a Mechazawa I won't ask for it yet.

Would Chuchu eat the pencils?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Most anime could use an equivalent of the cat episode.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

A beach/onsen episode but its just the mobile suits, no pilots

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

A beach/onsen episode but its just the mobile suits, no pilots

Look the SD Gundam Olympics already proved that Dom Chan is the cutest mobile suit but when she jumped in the water she emptied the entire pool.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm glad that they're not going full in on high school stuff because I'm not really here for that. More fights and chuchu punching, skip the culture fest stuff and instead give me a hardware expo where the corpos show off their new mobile suits to buyers. Just everything about the school being corporatized so we don't feel bad when it explodes.

They certainly haven't spent any time showing off how any of the students love their school or feel attached to it, at least.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Arc Hammer posted:

Would Chuchu eat the pencils?

Nika-nee gives her Demi-Trainer a working mouth.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Traveller posted:

Nika-nee gives her Demi-Trainer a working mouth.

The working mouth is just a wood chipper.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Aerial's mid season upgrade ditches the Optimus Prime faceplate, skips over the traditipnal Gundam vent grill entirely and goes full F91 with a scary moving jaw.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

people sure have a lot of hate for vague abstract ideas of things the show could be doing

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Still laughing at the idea of "God I hate all the school stuff in this I just want to see the fights and the intrigue ". She's been to two tests on screen! That's it! Everything else, even the poo poo focused on students, has been entirely about building the characters and the factions and how everyone relates to that. What do you mean by "the school stuff"?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

People loving love to criticize the show they think they're watching rather than the show they're actually watching. I think the school duel system is a weird plot contrivance (I really should just watch Utena rather than getting my knowledge of it through Cliff's Notes and memes) but it's no worse than the MMO being the contrivance in Re:Rise, and I loving love Re:Rise and it's one of my top 5 Gundam shows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reread what I said. I'm happy they aren't doing school stuff and I'm enjoying what they are actually doing. I'm wary because the school setting itself means that there's always the possibility that they'll dip into high school pablum, and each episode where they don't do that is a win in my book. That's not me being critical of a show different than what we're getting.

And I'm always going to advocate for blowing up institutions dedicated to social hierarchies.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 10, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Moleman is moe

100% agree :hmmyes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xun posted:

100% agree :hmmyes:

No, that's Moe's thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

People loving love to criticize the show they think they're watching rather than the show they're actually watching. I think the school duel system is a weird plot contrivance (I really should just watch Utena rather than getting my knowledge of it through Cliff's Notes and memes) but it's no worse than the MMO being the contrivance in Re:Rise, and I loving love Re:Rise and it's one of my top 5 Gundam shows.

You should. Utena is absolutely excellent

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Warmachine posted:

G-Witch follows a lot of Utena that includes Guel being suddenly camping, it might actually be a spoiler for small things.

The TV Show and Movie is also where a lot of osmosis divide comes from. In the TV Show, Utena dated guys as much as Suletta is now compared to the movies which went more in the yuri direction.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Utena manga was even less gay, I heard. Like Touga as the main romantic interest over Anthy

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

If you didn't say what I was talking about maybe the post wasn't about you. Maybe it was the person going "I don't know if I wanna watch it. I hear it has school stuff in it"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i, for one, would enjoy high school pablum if it's well written and visually stimulating. the character work on this show has been pretty good so far, and i have full faith that if this writing team chose to do a culture festival episode it would be good. or at least, have no additional special chance of being bad that any other episode doesn't already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

You know what else had a school? Gundam Wing. Heero blew up the anime club.