Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wish David wasn’t such a pissy little baby about doing Kubrick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm sure he'll get over it. (I don't know what you mean because I haven't listened to their first Kubrick episode yet.)

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
there was a subversion on the British bit that made me laugh

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The first couple of movies are rough, but short at least, but both The Killing and Paths of Glory were incredible films.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

graventy posted:

The first couple of movies are rough, but short at least, but both The Killing and Paths of Glory were incredible films.

Cool, excited to watch them. Fear and Desire was interesting, I’m sure this is just my ignorance but I haven’t really seen US independent cinema dating back that far and it was cool to see something from the 50’s that is so non-Hollywood. Killer’s Kiss on the other hand just totally bored me, somehow not enough plot, character, or style for even that runtime.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Paths of Glory is like a top 3 Kubrick to me, he has so many others that are ultinately much more fun to watch for me but I find it to be an absolutely incredible film, if rather bleak. Way better “war is hell” movie than FMJ.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ror posted:

Paths of Glory is like a top 3 Kubrick to me, he has so many others that are ultinately much more fun to watch for me but I find it to be an absolutely incredible film, if rather bleak. Way better “war is hell” movie than FMJ.
Agreed, it's one of those Kubrick films I saw last out of his filmography and drat is it good
Can't wait until they get to Eyes Wide Shut :D

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Killing was pretty good. It felt like a prototype for more modern heist films. And it has some great characters and a beautifully tragic ending.

It also made me think of Widows and the scene of them training for the weight of millions of dollars in a bag.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
didn't know any of that poo poo about Tim Carey lol, what a legend. he really stuck out in Paths of Glory, really expressive face

quote:

During the filming of Paths of Glory, Carey was reportedly disruptive and tried to draw more attention to his character. Due to this behavior, a scene in which Carey and the other actors were served a duck dinner as a final meal before execution took 57 takes to complete. Carey then faked his own kidnapping to generate personal publicity, which prompted Kubrick and producer James B. Harris to fire him. As a result, the film does not depict the three condemned soldiers during the battle scene, and a double was used during a scene in which a priest hears Carey's character's confession. The scene was filmed with the double's back to the camera.
YOU CAN DISH IT BUT CANT TAKE IT EHHHHH STANLEY

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020
I love at the end of the episode making GBS threads on Disney and Pinocchio that Griffin has to talk about his casting as a CGI funny animal in an upcoming Disney+ movie

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Opened up the podcast app to discover that the A Clockwork Orange episode is over 3 hours longer and just thinking "yeah that seems right".

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MokBa posted:

Opened up the podcast app to discover that the A Clockwork Orange episode is over 3 hours longer and just thinking "yeah that seems right".

Hooting and hollering when I see that it is the Alex Ross Perry episode

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I haven't listened to it yet but I like the idea of Jon Gabrus talking about Full Metal Jacket.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I was on a flight today and I watched the hell out of Draft Day. Glad to toss a few pennies Griffin’s way.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Finally watched Draft Day thanks to the Tim Simons appearance - actually not too bad - though was not thrilled to see another reference to that drat SF/CIN Super Bowl again lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was on a flight today and I watched the hell out of Draft Day. Glad to toss a few pennies Griffin’s way.

I was on a JetBlue flight this weekend, but was disappointed to not see Draft Day as an option. Watched Moneyball instead, since I was in a, "Sports movie without a ton of actual sports in it" frame of mind by then.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I am not watching a movie that doesn't even contain it's best scene.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They were so ready to throw Paths of Glory under the bus once Karina made her pronouncement (tho I am also an Eyes Wide Shut super partisan) cmon that's a truly great film

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat near everything that came out of Griffin's mouth about Nabokov on the Lolita episode was wrong, I hate when poo poo like that happens cause then I question everything else they're saying.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The show has always been mostly half-remembered IMDb trivia, it’s just a fun conversation

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah. don't treat the podcast as an educational program. It's good for comedy and good for film criticism. Everything else: very questionable!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

drat near everything that came out of Griffin's mouth about Nabokov on the Lolita episode was wrong, I hate when poo poo like that happens cause then I question everything else they're saying.

Yeah, I listened to the Lolita podcast around the same time, and it was pretty disappointing how tepid their analysis and conversation about it was in comparison. Granted that was a thorough deep dive.

Felt like they were pretty hand-wavey about Shelly Duvall poo poo too.

Man made some good movies but gently caress Kubrick.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Lolita Podcast so far has been pretty Tepid too, to be honest. There's a billion words written on Nabokov's oeuvre and reading them without constant commercial breaks or pointless comments from the peanut gallery is much more enjoyable.

Nabokov himself didn't seem to find the film that fine though, there's a conversation between Demon and Van in Ada where he disdains plays and films because they're, in the end, the directors vision not the writers.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

graventy posted:

Yeah, I listened to the Lolita podcast around the same time, and it was pretty disappointing how tepid their analysis and conversation about it was in comparison. Granted that was a thorough deep dive.

Felt like they were pretty hand-wavey about Shelly Duvall poo poo too.

Man made some good movies but gently caress Kubrick.

Problem with the Duvall thing is that the claim is so often that Kubrick treated her so poorly it *ruined* the rest of her career which is kind of the opposite of what happened. Kubrick gave people a hard time, it's well documented (There's that hilarious story of Adam Baldwin saying out loud "Jesus what does this guy want?" after Kubrick asking for another take and when the set fell silent Kubrick peered out from behind the camera and said "How about some acting?") and he certainly gave Duvall a hard time, but by her own admittance it wasn't the nightmare people think it was and that they shared plenty of laughs. It's not how I would do it but It's simply how he was. So then why are people so fixated on the Duvall thing if not to make a point that this has altered Duvall in some way? It's pretty disrespectful to her when people repeat that stuff without even looking at what she did with her career after that.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 10, 2022

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Kinda agree. She recently gave an interview that while she reiterates that Kubrick was hard on her, she stands by the work and is proud of the performance in the movie.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The "problem with the Duvall thing". lol

I think Kubrick's entire style of filming everything 100 times is incredibly abusive and disrespectful, and it feels like it was particularly abusive towards her. Let actors loving act! *I'm* not saying it ruined her career, I'm saying that no one should be treated that way, and she is a particularly egregious example of his abuse.

Trauma fades over time, so I'm sure if I had gone through that, after 40 years I could look back and forgive. It just ruins a movie experience for me to know that I'm seeing actual abuse on screen, and I think it sucks that a number of our most 'brilliant' directors get a complete pass for being awful to people because the product is good.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Don’t watch his films then

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

graventy posted:

The "problem with the Duvall thing". lol

I think Kubrick's entire style of filming everything 100 times is incredibly abusive and disrespectful, and it feels like it was particularly abusive towards her. Let actors loving act! *I'm* not saying it ruined her career, I'm saying that no one should be treated that way, and she is a particularly egregious example of his abuse.

Trauma fades over time, so I'm sure if I had gone through that, after 40 years I could look back and forgive. It just ruins a movie experience for me to know that I'm seeing actual abuse on screen, and I think it sucks that a number of our most 'brilliant' directors get a complete pass for being awful to people because the product is good.

Does Kubrick really get a complete pass? A pass, sure, but it’s rare to find anyone examining his legacy without addressing his treatment of actors in a negative context. It’s very much something he is well known for.

A lot of the conversation around Duvall in an attempt to condemn Kubrick, totally infantilizes her. Stephen King went on a campaign saying gross stuff like “she is basically just there to scream and be stupid”, completely glossing over the fact that she gives IMO, one of the greatest performances in horror history. If anyone is uncomfortable with the film because of its production, don’t watch it. But it’s important that we recognize her performance as her own work and we respect her own words when she speaks on her relationship with Kubrick. The same goes for a lot of well-established actors who desperately wanted to work with Kubrick well after his reputation was widely known.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Don’t watch his films then

I think it can be good for people to discuss their discomfort with some well known elements of a directors approach, and to contextualise how that effects their viewing and response without being shut down like this tbh.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t know how much of a pass he gets when it’s the second-most discussed thing about him behind “his movies good”

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I mean it's definitely a thing that people tolerate bad behaviour as the "price" of genius. Whether you think Kubrick qualifies or not, it's certainly a dynamic that exists.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Y’all really wanna hear some awful stories of vile directors and actors y’all gotta listen to “The Erotic 80s” miniseries from “You Must Remember This.” Every episode is a horrific story about some tough guy actor and full of himself director thinking they have to “trick” a woman into a good performance by constantly verbally and (sometimes) physically assaulting her. All to make some mediocre erotic thriller.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Also a lot more “Ryan O’Neal is a huge loving rear end in a top hat” in the Polly Platt YMRT.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look, he knows how to drive though

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kubrick was fantastic so now I'm going back through Carpenter and really digging the David's Baby looks like the Boss Baby bit.

Up there with the Sully bit.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me: people seem to love this Barry Lyndon but I'm built different.

15 minutes in: this is the greatest film known to man.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Finally watched Barry Lyndon this year and it’s now my favorite Kubrick. Grateful for library access to criterions. Has also greatly assisted with a Kurosawa completionism run.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Had the same reaction to Lyndon I usually have to “secret masterpiece” movies: it’s pretty good

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Has also greatly assisted with a Kurosawa completionism run.

Do they have all 30 of his? (Well, 31 if you count Those Who Make Tomorrow.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I would not have watched BL without the podcast and I was about 30 minutes in when I realized I was having the movie experience of my 2022. I also love when someone asks what the plot is, I say "I dunno, some dude's life and how it largely sucks"