Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

drat y'all are making me want to replay it yet again.

The (first) mantis lords fight and the first entrance into deepnest stand out for me as highlights. The lords kicked my rear end the first few times, and getting that respectful bow afterwards is such a good reward. Then deepnest just creeps you the hell out, civilization is just totally gone and it's spiders and centipedes crawling everywhere and you're trapped in it until you climb your way back out. So memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like the beehive. So vastly different from the rest of the game and good lore in there too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Super dashing through the mines and over the lake did it for me.

The top of Crystal Peak made me stop and sit, but sitting next to Quirrel on the bench and listening to the rain was probably my favorite moment.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The clarinet in Greenpath is so calming...definitely my favorite area! Especially once you get tears and can get in the acid water: the whole place is chill.

Fungal Wastes has a similar vibe and I also enjoy it a lot!

Queen's Garden also plays off that, so yeah.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Super dashing through the mines and over the lake did it for me.

The top of Crystal Peak made me stop and sit, but sitting next to Quirrel on the bench and listening to the rain was probably my favorite moment.

Yeah, I did this for a long time and really enjoyed that moment of pause.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

Sitting next to Quirrel on the bench and listening to the rain was probably my favorite moment.

Yesssss

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

It does have some of the most annoying enemies of the game and I don't think I would call it my favorite area, but one that no one has mentioned yet is Kingdom's Edge. I really like the snowy atmosphere. And then you realize that the snow is actually ash, and then that the ash is actually the decaying corpse of the wyrm.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hard to answer, but I wanna give a shout out to the Coliseum of Fools. After feeling isolated and lost for so long it feels like the only place in Hallownest that's still really functioning, and has crowds and a social atmosphere and stuff. Gets you fired up about the fact that there are still people here who could maybe be helped.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

It does have some of the most annoying enemies of the game and I don't think I would call it my favorite area, but one that no one has mentioned yet is Kingdom's Edge. I really like the snowy atmosphere. And then you realize that the snow is actually ash, and then that the ash is actually the decaying corpse of the wyrm.

It was literally the first one mentioned

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Cartoon Man posted:

I like the beehive. So vastly different from the rest of the game and good lore in there too.

sorry beehive pissed me the gently caress off having to walk back every time for the boss fight. even with the backcut it was tedious.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I really liked the Resting Grounds. It felt more peaceful than anywhere else, and had great music.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Mantis City, the fact that after all the infected bugs and everything hostile, here's a city that's full of uninfected bugs who are friendly after you beat their leaders is a huge change of pace.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Godhome :getin:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

City of Tears and Stag Nest. The name change from The Last Stag to Old Stag was the most :unsmith: in a game mostly characterised by :smith:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Martman posted:

Hard to answer, but I wanna give a shout out to the Coliseum of Fools. After feeling isolated and lost for so long it feels like the only place in Hallownest that's still really functioning, and has crowds and a social atmosphere and stuff. Gets you fired up about the fact that there are still people here who could maybe be helped.

Man you read that area way differently than I did. I saw it as the very last remnants of a dead society, so far gone that there’s nothing left but gambling and death matches.

I mean, Lord Fool is a dead husk in the middle of the stands, and they just nonchalantly toss the corpses of defeated bugs into Kingdom’s Edge. A LOT of corpses, too.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

TheMadMilkman posted:

Man you read that area way differently than I did. I saw it as the very last remnants of a dead society, so far gone that there’s nothing left but gambling and death matches.

I mean, Lord Fool is a dead husk in the middle of the stands, and they just nonchalantly toss the corpses of defeated bugs into Kingdom’s Edge. A LOT of corpses, too.

Yeah, that's the way I think it's supposed to look: whatever's left alive and clear of infection in the Kingdom has descended into total nihilism. They've all run away to the Literal Edge of the World and there's nothing left to do except kill each other. I like to think it goes very well with the subtle theme throughout the "civilized" Kingdom areas of the Kingdom itself looking like it was a very economically-stratified capitalist dystopia, the kind of place where you can't even sit down at a public park bench without paying for it, and, you know, that is powered by the souls of the tortured underclass. It's logical that that society would collapse into nihilistic violence.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I can see it being dark and hosed up, but it's still hosed up in a fun way. I guess I had figured there was already a fair amount of violence in Hallownest as a baseline but I might have been imagining that.

Martman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 9, 2022

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

OzFactor posted:

Yeah, that's the way I think it's supposed to look: whatever's left alive and clear of infection in the Kingdom has descended into total nihilism. They've all run away to the Literal Edge of the World and there's nothing left to do except kill each other. I like to think it goes very well with the subtle theme throughout the "civilized" Kingdom areas of the Kingdom itself looking like it was a very economically-stratified capitalist dystopia, the kind of place where you can't even sit down at a public park bench without paying for it, and, you know, that is powered by the souls of the tortured underclass. It's logical that that society would collapse into nihilistic violence.

HUH i have literally never thought about the benches like that. i love this take.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
iirc it was stated somewhere that the Fools have also been infected but are unwittingly holding it at bay with their devotion to bloodsport, so it’s a little of column a and a little of column b

also I have no idea where the idea that the city of tears was “powered by the souls of the underclass” came from, the city clearly did suffer from economic stratification and the PK is definitely imperialist-coded but making Hallownest out to be some hyper-capitalist hell undermines the entire backstory

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 9, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

iirc it was stated somewhere that the Fools have also been infected but are unwittingly holding it at bay with their devotion to bloodsport, so it’s a little of column a and a little of column b

also I have no idea where the idea that the city of tears was “powered by the souls of the underclass” came from, the city clearly did suffer from economic stratification and the PK is definitely imperialist-coded but making Hallownest out to be some hyper-capitalist hell undermines the entire backstory
Soul Master was literally draining the soul power of city bugs to power himself and his projects, but I think that's post-infection and more "mad scientist" behavior than the basic functioning of the city.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Crystal Peak because I'm a sucker for gems. If a level in any game is full of gems and jewels it's my favorite level. I even like Jewel Man's stage in Mega Man 9 and that's so statistically unlikely I mathematically don't exist.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SkeletonHero posted:

Crystal Peak because I'm a sucker for gems. If a level in any game is full of gems and jewels it's my favorite level. I even like Jewel Man's stage in Mega Man 9 and that's so statistically unlikely I mathematically don't exist.

I respect this. I’m a sucker for big polished obelisks and pyramids and stuff, which feels somewhat adjacent to Gem Enjoying.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SkeletonHero posted:

Eh I don't recall Jewel Man's stage being particularly bad, so I don't think you're that far gone.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

SkeletonHero posted:

i love the music and general vibe of crystal peak but crystal guardian. ugh. i think i cheesed the first part of the fight so i could get to the bench but haven't bothered for the second battle. gonna do it someday for Completion Points tho,

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Every time Silksong is not featured in a Nintendo Direct i go ahead and replay Hollow Knight.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

TheMadMilkman posted:

Every time Silksong is not featured in a Nintendo Direct i go ahead and replay Hollow Knight.

turn this into a drinking game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
crystal guardian 2 is the closest the game gets to a pure reaction time test and it can be incredibly easy or hard based on that, which is why i hate that boss

or maybe i'm just bad at the game

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nah you're right.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I still maintain that Crystal Guardian is a chump and all it takes is not panicking because he does 2 masks of damage. You just stand next to him and swing. He can only ever do three things; the ceiling beams is super telegraphed with the scream so you can stop and assess where the beams will go, the jump is totally harmless if you're next to him, and if he makes any other movement at all you know it's the hand beam and can react accordingly by shadowdashing through him or jumping straight up to avoid it.

NKG or PV's floor spike attacks are nasty reaction tests for me, compared to them the crystal guardian is moving in slow motion.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
CG2 gave me a little trouble the first time but on the pantheons I just kinda figured him out and he became a trivial radiant victory.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

well yeah after beating the hardest bosses in the game anyone will feel like a chump

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I beat CG2 multiple times in the pantheon.
The first time i tried to steel soul 100% the game I panicked at CG2 and lost my run there.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Brothers and Watcher Knights are my personal least favorites. I’m terrible at keeping track of multiple bosses.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

TheMadMilkman posted:

The Brothers and Watcher Knights are my personal least favorites. I’m terrible at keeping track of multiple bosses.

watcher knights i got very good at lining them up on the same side of the arena and then either shadowdashing through both of em or, if i was feeling panicked, a quick descending dark, because it does a fair bit of damage. also quick slash so i could kill em fast.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'll be honest i mostly facetank watcher knights

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i'll be honest i mostly facetank watcher knights

i mean if it works it works

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

crystal guardian 2 is the closest the game gets to a pure reaction time test and it can be incredibly easy or hard based on that, which is why i hate that boss

But marmu tho

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Darox posted:

I still maintain that Crystal Guardian is a chump and all it takes is not panicking because he does 2 masks of damage. You just stand next to him and swing. He can only ever do three things; the ceiling beams is super telegraphed with the scream so you can stop and assess where the beams will go, the jump is totally harmless if you're next to him, and if he makes any other movement at all you know it's the hand beam and can react accordingly by shadowdashing through him or jumping straight up to avoid it.

NKG or PV's floor spike attacks are nasty reaction tests for me, compared to them the crystal guardian is moving in slow motion.

You only know this with experience though. The first time you play the game you don't know his moves or his to respond and often only have like 5 masks so it's hard to learn his moveset too.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I mean, you don't know the moveset of any boss the first time you fight it. This is a game with a lot of hard bosses, but crystal guardian isn't one of them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm not sure how many people would still only have five masks by the time they get to crystal peak, much less get wings to fight the harder version. And yeah no one knows how to fight any boss at first, the point with this guy is he has a very limited moveset that's not too hard to learn compared to some other guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To be clear I'm talking about enraged guardian and maybe it was just learning his cues but that's one of the only bosses in the game where it felt like I was just running into reaction time issues, specifically because he's not that hard to "learn".