Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bucky Fullminster posted:

What did the Bare Naked Ladies mean when they said “like Harrison Ford I’m getting frantic”?

Is there a reference I’m missing?

Ford starred in a movie named Frantic. I’ve never seen it, nor have I heard about it outside of this song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Khizan posted:

Ford starred in a movie named Frantic. I’ve never seen it, nor have I heard about it outside of this song.

Haha cool thanks, that was google-able in hindsight, sorry

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's not that great.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When a doctor wants a new job and applies at a different hospital or whatever, do they provide a resume? What goes on a doctors resume? "performed x-difficult-surgery n times with m% complication rate"? What sort of selling points are there in doctoring

I only know my own field, where you can't just say 'I worked here for n years' you have to specify what your specific accomplishments are and how you benefitted the company. But medicine seems so random that 'had a cancer patient survive' may not have even been your accomplishment, right? A different patient would die despite all your best care bc of genes and poo poo

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 10, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

When a doctor wants a new job and applies at a different hospital or whatever, do they provide a resume? What goes on a doctors resume? "performed x-difficult-surgery n times with m% complication rate"? What sort of selling points are there in doctoring

I only know my own field, where you can't just say 'I worked here for n years' you have to specify what your specific accomplishments are and how you benefitted the company. But medicine seems so random that 'had a cancer patient survive' may not have even been your accomplishment, right? A different patient would die despite all your best care bc of genes and poo poo

Yeah based on my experience being married to one, you give the numbers - estimating how many procedures of different kinds you've done, how many cases of different things you've diagnosed or treated, I don't think you mention complication rate. Where you trained, under whom, board certs, and personal recommendation letters are a big part of it too.

I'm sure it also varies by specialty so I'm hoping some actual doctors will come in here and give more answers

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doctors of all types will usually have a CV not just a resume. There will be a lot more detail including anything they've published and other notable works.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mr. Nice! posted:

Doctors of all types will usually have a CV not just a resume. There will be a lot more detail including anything they've published and other notable works.

Resume is the American word for what euros call a CV

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Resume is the American word for what euros call a CV

Actually in the US, usually in academia or other doctoral level jobs, CV means a very long resume with a bunch of details and a list of publications and stuff, whereas a resume is a short 1-2 pager just showing where you worked and basic accomplishments. Both terms are in use and mean different things.

But yes adding to the confusion, I think in Europe, what we call a resume is called a CV.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

alnilam posted:

Yeah based on my experience being married to one, you give the numbers - estimating how many procedures of different kinds you've done, how many cases of different things you've diagnosed or treated, I don't think you mention complication rate. Where you trained, under whom, board certs, and personal recommendation letters are a big part of it too.

I'm sure it also varies by specialty so I'm hoping some actual doctors will come in here and give more answers

Well the bolded part is really interesting to me. If you've performed a bunch of surgeries but 80% of them are crippled from complications from your lovely technique could you hide that from the employer?

(I promise I'm not trying to be conspiratorial I'm just asking stupid questions)

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 10, 2022

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Well the bolded part is really interesting to me. If you've performed a bunch of surgeries but 80% of them are crippled from complications from your lovely technique could you hide that from the employer?

(I promise I'm not trying to be conspiratorial I'm just asking stupid questions)

Complication doesn't mean that the surgeon screwed up specifically. A complication could mean that what was wrong with the patient was more severe than expected and when the surgery was performed there was more infection or a larger blockage or the cancer was spread further or whatever. More tissue had to be excised and as a result mobility post op is more limited than expected. Yes, that is a lot of doublespeak that could be used to cover a slip up, but it may not be the fault of anyone involved in the process.

That being said, there are board reviews anytime anything goes wrong in an operation. A council of doctors reviews the process and will usually interview all the people involved to make sure that proper procedures were followed. If a surgeon has 80% of their patients end up crippled, they are likely not going to be employed long term at that hospital.

But it's also not like anyone can just submit an application and there wouldn't be any follow up. "I performed 100 successful surgeries" invites further scrutiny. Hospital staff talk to each other, and if some surgeon (who isn't exclusively dealing with high risk operations) has 80% of their patients permanently negatively affected, that's going to be a poorly kept secret. Plus, at numbers like that, there are going to be a LOT of lawsuits against the hospital. You'd be lucky to have your current position, much less shopping yourself around.

So, yes, while you as the applicant wouldn't advertise your personal complication rate, anyone looking into your records would be able to figure that out anyway.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Why does thinly sliced cheese taste stronger/better than thick slices? There’s lots of speculation online but no agreement, and the speculation doesn’t make a ton of sense, I did some small experiments to test:

Temperature - thin cheese warms up faster than thick cheese. Warmer cheese does taste better than fresh out of the fridge, but I’ve let larger pieces sit out for 20 mins to warm up and it still isn’t as good as thin.

Surface area - Thin cheese has more surface area so interacts more with oxygen or something. Except thin cheese doesn’t have more surface area, and the difference between the two is small. If you have a thin slice of a larger block vs a thick slice of a smaller block or vice versa, the thin slice always tastes better (assuming the same cheese).

Flavor overload - Too much cheese in your mouth = more flavor = automatic reduction in taste bud sensitivity = less flavor. But if you take a small bite of a thick cheese, it’s still not as good as a thin slice even if the volume is similar.

Granted, this is all anecdotal based on my own experiences, and my experiments weren’t double blinded or particularly exact, but if anyone’s done real research on it I haven’t found it. As a cheese lover, I really want to know. I suspect it’s related to the second one since grated cheese tastes better than even thinly sliced (for cheeses that support grating). Any ideas?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Weird question I kind of just want to poll you guys on.

You know that song "Modern Love" by David Bowie? Okay, do you know it better as, or perhaps only as "Church On Time"? A decade ago a friend of mine thought the song was called that we it was a running joke with us, but the other night at a bar the song came on, and two different people thought the song was called Church On Time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Pirate Captain posted:

Why does thinly sliced cheese taste stronger/better than thick slices? There’s lots of speculation online but no agreement, and the speculation doesn’t make a ton of sense, I did some small experiments to test:

Temperature - thin cheese warms up faster than thick cheese. Warmer cheese does taste better than fresh out of the fridge, but I’ve let larger pieces sit out for 20 mins to warm up and it still isn’t as good as thin.

Surface area - Thin cheese has more surface area so interacts more with oxygen or something. Except thin cheese doesn’t have more surface area, and the difference between the two is small. If you have a thin slice of a larger block vs a thick slice of a smaller block or vice versa, the thin slice always tastes better (assuming the same cheese).

Flavor overload - Too much cheese in your mouth = more flavor = automatic reduction in taste bud sensitivity = less flavor. But if you take a small bite of a thick cheese, it’s still not as good as a thin slice even if the volume is similar.

Granted, this is all anecdotal based on my own experiences, and my experiments weren’t double blinded or particularly exact, but if anyone’s done real research on it I haven’t found it. As a cheese lover, I really want to know. I suspect it’s related to the second one since grated cheese tastes better than even thinly sliced (for cheeses that support grating). Any ideas?

I came to the same conclusion, except that the rule doesn't hold for really gooey cheese. A half-liquid stanky-rear end goat cheese is gonna be delicious and overwhelming in any proportion.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

I came to the same conclusion, except that the rule doesn't hold for really gooey cheese. A half-liquid stanky-rear end goat cheese is gonna be delicious and overwhelming in any proportion.

Good point, the stronger the cheese is the less this holds true. I finished off my testing today by having a pancetta (delicate flavor) + 5 yr aged cheddar thick chunk sandwich and noticed no difference with yesterday’s sandwich which was the same but thin sliced - all I could taste either time was the cheese. But it was really crumbly both times so maybe that had an impact too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Surface area - Thin cheese has more surface area so interacts more with oxygen or something. Except thin cheese doesn’t have more surface area, and the difference between the two is small.
the thinner slice will have a higher surface area to volume ratio, which in general is a more important measure than total surface area, but i can't say how or if this pertains to your question

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I want to buy a laminator. Any suggestions? Also should I wait for a better model or is it okay to buy one now?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

credburn posted:

Weird question I kind of just want to poll you guys on.

You know that song "Modern Love" by David Bowie? Okay, do you know it better as, or perhaps only as "Church On Time"? A decade ago a friend of mine thought the song was called that we it was a running joke with us, but the other night at a bar the song came on, and two different people thought the song was called Church On Time.

I knew it as Modern Love, cause that’s how it was listed on the CD my parents had growing up :v:

That said, it’s not unheard of for people to not know the title of a song if it isn’t one of the lyrics or a prominent one. The best example that comes to mind is The Who’s Baba O’Reily being often just called Teenage Wasteland, among various others.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

I want to buy a laminator. Any suggestions? Also should I wait for a better model or is it okay to buy one now?

I would say laminators are a solved problem and it probably doesn’t matter. There aren’t any hot lamination features on the horizon.

I’d choose the one that accepts the cheapest of the lamination sleeves.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

To throw more speculation in: thinner slices are going to be more flexible, which allows them to touch more of your tongue at once, giving a stronger flavor signal. As you note, this doesn't really apply to gooey cheeses, which are already flexible.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
More surface area is also part of the reason deli meat is sliced thin AFAIK. If you're gonna put 5 slices of pastrami on a sandwich you end up with more flavor from 5 thin slices instead of one cut-5x-as-thick chunk

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Maybe the cheese/saliva ratio has something to do with it

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Science needs to answer this question.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I just remembered there is a cheese thread in GWS and it sounds promising:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Welcome to the 2022 iteration of Cheese Thread, now with more dystopia!

I am a cheesemonger and ex-chef currently working towards CCP (Certified Cheese Professional i.e. cheese sommelier) certification, and thought we should refresh the thread for the new year. This OP will give a quick rundown of the common types of cheese and concepts of cheese making. Follow this thread for #cheesefacts!

Maybe we will find our answers there

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a few things I swear were in a movie or tv but can't find anything.

in a very southern belle accent "I'm looking for a man who's bona fide" - only bona fide reference I found was from o brother where art thou

also in a similar accent "is there a misses (man's last name) by any chance?"

and a totally random one

old woman - "florida??? why do people keep calling me that???"

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Science needs to answer this question.

SubG from goons with spoons can probably step in here and give you a sixteen-paragraph answer but I BELIEVE in short that the flavor of most cheeses has to do with crystallization of flavorful compounds

You eat a thin slice of x, you get more flavor clustering and less filler

You eat a big chunk, there's more filler to flavor

This is why stuff like parmigiano-reggiano is so prized, because the whole thing is all crystallized flavor

I am not a food scientist and he is, so whatever

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

tuyop posted:

I would say laminators are a solved problem and it probably doesn’t matter. There aren’t any hot lamination features on the horizon.

I’d choose the one that accepts the cheapest of the lamination sleeves.

I've definitely encountered crappy cheap laminators that misfeed the sleeve such that it gets trapped within the plastic housing of the machine on its way out

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Mine has all the typical stuff including education, training and experience. Higher qualifications, research, publications and presentations, courses attended, annual apprisal with evidence of CPD. I also provide a log book of the number of investigations and procedures I have done. Having been in specific positions within department is usually very helpful, one of the reasons I got my current job was vecause I had been director before in a smaller unit and the new director wanted some support.

If you are newly out of training you will have more details regarding your experience from ARCP which is an annual trainee appraisal. Nowadays I just say I do x thousand MRI and CTs per year.

I also provide a personal statement. Little things like hobbies are still included.

All of this pertains to the UK where consultant surgeon complication rates are openly published on an individual bases.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

postmodifier posted:

SubG from goons with spoons can probably step in here and give you a sixteen-paragraph answer but I BELIEVE in short that the flavor of most cheeses has to do with crystallization of flavorful compounds

You eat a thin slice of x, you get more flavor clustering and less filler

You eat a big chunk, there's more filler to flavor

This is why stuff like parmigiano-reggiano is so prized, because the whole thing is all crystallized flavor

I am not a food scientist and he is, so whatever

Awesome, thanks! And that would also explain why the effect is diminished/non-existent with older cheeses, since the aging process could produce more of the crystallized structures.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I just remembered there is a cheese thread in GWS and it sounds promising:

Maybe we will find our answers there

I will definitely check this thread out. Mmm cheese

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah one of the people in the cheese thread is a certified cheese expert of some sort

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

TV Zombie posted:

Depends on what you want to use the laminator for. Basic 9-inch hot roller 3-5mm sleeve laminators are c. $30 and will work for waterproofing paper or thin cardstock up to US letter size (basically classroom use). The price difference for something with a recognizable brand name (Scotch, Fellowes, Amazon Basics, 3M), or if you find a cheap brand at any store that has enough money to be sued, is probably worth it to avoid something that will inadvertently burn the house down.

The used laminator market index is dropping back to around 125 as supply catches up, but if you can find a new laminator with the features you want at a dealer at a price you can afford without any bullshit dealer market surcharges, grab it before someone else does.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My work place blocks anything related to gaming. I can’t browse IGN, gaming review websites, etc. I’m unable to play cellphone games on my lunch either, Hearthstone, Marvel Snap etc. I would normally just be on my cell data on lunch, but I switched carriers and I get little to no reception. So I’m on my work’s Wi-Fi. Would being on a VPN help me circumvent this?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Thanks for the laminator information

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

obi_ant posted:

My work place blocks anything related to gaming. I can’t browse IGN, gaming review websites, etc. I’m unable to play cellphone games on my lunch either, Hearthstone, Marvel Snap etc. I would normally just be on my cell data on lunch, but I switched carriers and I get little to no reception. So I’m on my work’s Wi-Fi. Would being on a VPN help me circumvent this?
Yep, a VPN will work great for that. Unless your work blocks VPN traffic as well, but that'll be immediately obvious.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

obi_ant posted:

A few years ago I was using Mullvad VPN (recommended by someone on this forum) on my phone to successfully play a browser based game that was otherwise blocked at work.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

actionjackson posted:

a few things I swear were in a movie or tv but can't find anything.

in a very southern belle accent "I'm looking for a man who's bona fide" - only bona fide reference I found was from o brother where art thou

well yes, that line is an exact quote from o brother where art thou, which takes place in the south. so it sounds like you did find it :confused:

actionjackson posted:

also in a similar accent "is there a misses (man's last name) by any chance?"

this was just a common way of hitting on people in previous decades, it's probably in like a hundred movies

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Earwicker posted:

well yes, that line is an exact quote from o brother where art thou, which takes place in the south. so it sounds like you did find it :confused:

when i looked it up it was a different phrase, but they use bona fide multiple times so i might have just missed it :)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think the actual line is more like "i need a man who's bona fide" because in the context of the film, she already found a bona fide man, and it's not the man she's talking to.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
For bands that use printed setlists, is it expected that a music venue will have a printer for them to use?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

For bands that use printed setlists, is it expected that a music venue will have a printer for them to use?

not across the board, no. some venues have an office or offices where there might or might not be a working printer, some don't, but it's definitely not a common expectation and varies depending on whether you are talking about a bar or rock club or theater, etc. and in general just depends on how big the show is and what level of crew are involved

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm looking for a keyboard switch that, when pressed, immediately releases, as in you can not hold them down. It's ok if it has almost no travel.