Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/caseynewton/status/1590725083294990336?s=46&t=qV0BT3dkYJy9Ak-2yDz8gQ

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

No, you see, we're disrupting the SKILL market; construction workers learn what is and is not up to code on the job by osmosis, so therefore we can do with less lawyers, and this is good.

The massive shade-tree and blind spot of the hubris of fame, despite all indicators pointing to "FALLIBLE HUMAN"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Elon is not afraid of the human rights commission and there will be slaves on Mars no matter what the thugs in Neo Washington say

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Chainclaw posted:

My guess is: before, there was some process and overhead to make sure twitter was complying with FTC requirements. Some reviews in place, some automation, etc.

Now, it's on the individual engineer (who is not a lawyer) coding whatever to make sure they aren't breaking any FTC requirements. Besides the obvious of accidentally breaking requirements, you'll also have managers who also don't know the requirements breathing down the necks of engineers asking them to break the rules. Musk swings by your desk and says "Hey we really need to do this thing that's against FTC requirements" you've got no CISO to back you up on saying "No, that's a bad idea and against the law."

I love this. I love everything about this. This makes me so happy.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

No idea how long those tweets will stay up, here's a screenshot

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it good when your legal compliance team all quits at once ?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It' really nice of Elon to provide the world with mass comedic relief in these troubling times

Just :hmbol: that people think this clown is good at business

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi0uX2sZuFg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What were the FTC requirements for Twitter?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

It’s just the legal team quitting en masse! It’s still good! It’s still good!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I don't know specifics, but I know there are a lot of industry-wide requirements, like COPPA.

When COPPA ( https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/browse/rules/childrens-online-privacy-protection-rule-coppa ) was introduced, it resulted in a huge scramble in the games space because a lot of their data collection practices would break the requirements of COPPA.

Here's a bunch of random FTC rules: https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/browse/rules

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

I don't know specifics, but I know there are a lot of industry-wide requirements, like COPPA.

When COPPA ( https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/browse/rules/childrens-online-privacy-protection-rule-coppa ) was introduced, it resulted in a huge scramble in the games space because a lot of their data collection practices would break the requirements of COPPA.

If Twitter runs afoul of COPPA, hachi machi.

Tbh I’m waiting for them to get dunked on via GDPR somehow.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hollismason posted:

Consumer privacy & security stuff. Their big fuckup in 2011 was using information the users provided for security purposes (email & phone numbers) to target ads and sell data. Even in the USA you're not allowed to do that.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Hollismason posted:

this: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/twitter-agrees-doj-and-ftc-pay-150-million-civil-penalty-and-implement-comprehensive

quote:

The Department of Justice, together with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), announced a settlement that, if approved by a federal court, will require Twitter Inc. to pay $150 million in civil penalties and implement robust compliance measures to protect users’ data privacy. The settlement will resolve allegations that Twitter violated the FTC Act and an administrative order issued by the FTC in March 2011 by misrepresenting how it would make use of users’ nonpublic contact information.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

euphronius posted:

Hell yeah, think of the savings!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Elon must be positively drowning in lackies and yes men to get to this point. Stupid is generally not this hardworking.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

fun fact: the fact that a consent decree applies to Twitter by is legally required to be in their new hire orientation documentation

you know the thing Elon whined about having to do

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
He has to be tanking Twitter on purpose at this point, right?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

DaveWoo posted:

Confirmation from the (now former) CISO of Twitter:

https://twitter.com/LeaKissner/status/1590706305102381058

Pronouns they/them. This person’s life just got totally upended by a billionaire who bought the company they work for because he wants to freely express hatred of them.

That’s so loving grim. :negative:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Elon's not afraid of a battle with the FTC, he puts ROCKETS into SPACE when they aren't blowing up on the platform!

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

By popular demand posted:

Elon must be positively drowning in lackies and yes men to get to this point. Stupid is generally not this hardworking.

I've never gotten to see the Emperor's New Clothes play out so aggressively and publicly in real time

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Lmao they are going to get destroyed the first time they’re externally audited

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

LordoftheScheisse posted:

I think Elon's intuition is so bad that if he tried to tank twitter on purpose he'd turn it into a smashing success, like The Opposite episode

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lmao if you work at Twitter still

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Nope, he’s just this stupid and arrogant.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Pronouns they/them. This person’s life just got totally upended by a billionaire who bought the company they work for because he wants to freely express hatred of them.

That’s so loving grim. :negative:

lol this is totally possible, and might result in a lawsuit if evidence is there, but I think more likely on the occam's scale is that Twitter is jalopying badly because stupidity saturation is too high for it not to shake itself apart

e: If it's bad enough that we, end users, rational fools we are, are posting like this:

kazil posted:

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Nope, he’s just this stupid and arrogant.

*narrator voice* the problem is large

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 10, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is reportedly the full message sent out to all Twitter employees by the (soon to be former) head of legal compliance on their way out the door.

quote:

Over the last two weeks. Elon has shown that he cares only about recouping the losses he’s incurring as a result of failing to get out of his binding obligation to buy Twitter. He chose to enter into that agreement! All of us are being put through this as a result of the choices he made.

Elon has shown that his only priority with Twitter users is how to monetize them. I do not believe he cares about the human rights activists. the dissidents, our users in un-monetizable regions, and all the other users who have made Twitter the global town square you have all spent so long building, and we all love.

I have heard Alex Spiro (current head of Legal) say that Elon is willing to take on a huge amount of risk in relation to this company and its users, because “Elon puts rockets into space, he’s not afraid of the FTC.” I have heard another leader in the Legal department say that because of the tight SLA’s (of two weeks?!) between product inception > launch, Legal will “have to shift the burden to engineers” to self-certify compliance with FTC requirements and other laws. This will put huge amount of personal, professional and legal risk onto engineers: I anticipate that all of you will de pressured by management into pushing out changes that will likely lead to major incidents.

All of this is extremely dangerous for our users. Also, given that the FTC can (and will!) fine Twitter BILLIONS of dollars pursuant to the FTC Consent Order, extremely detrimental to Twitter’s longevity as a platform. Our users deserve so much better than this.

If you feel uncomfortable about anything you’re being asked to do, you can call Twitter’s Ethics Hotline at (800) 275-4843 or submit a report at ethicshelpline.twitter.com. Please also note the FTC’s number is: 1-877-FTC-HELP. You may also remember that Mudge reached out to httos://whistlebloweraid.org

I wish you all luck. It’s been such an honor to work with all of you. And I’ll be taking a day of PTO today.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 10, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

kazil posted:

Just sandbag until they fire you. Ride the gravy train. It's a tire fire.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

euphronius posted:

Yes. They met with Elon and realized that he is already so ethical and legally compliant that their services would no longer be needed.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rigel posted:

This is reportedly the full message sent out to all Twitter employees by the (soon to be former) heads of legal on their way out the door.

incoming Elon Reply

"Your feedback is appreciated. Now give me $8. [2 crying face emojis]"

Ehud fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 10, 2022

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Rigel posted:

This is reportedly the full message sent out to all Twitter employees by the (soon to be former) head of legal compliance on their way out the door.

The US, and any country really, could pretty much fill any budget hole by fining Elon Musk. The dude acts out so much that its an anytime possibility and he is a walking piggybank as a result.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Rigel posted:

"Twitter is gonna get hosed by the FTC - get out while you can"
-head of legal compliance
:sickos:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

imagine calling the twitter ethics hotline right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Musk has already disconnected it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

I have heard Alex Spiro (current head of Legal) say that Elon is willing to take on a huge amount of risk in relation to this company and its users, because “Elon puts rockets into space, he’s not afraid of the FTC.”

Man, that is some Bond supervillian levels of arrogance right there

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

There was a point where I thought @Jack played Elon to offload a dying company. But then I found out that Jack basically traded his Twitter stock for shares in Elon’s X-1, the private company that owns Twitter.

I wonder what he’s thinking right now…

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah, my partner spent some time working for a tech-adjacent company that dissolved their compliance department and required their employees to self-certify compliance with FTC regulations.

That company no longer exists because the FTC fined the poo poo out of them for repeated and flagrant violations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

quote:

If you feel uncomfortable about anything you’re being asked to do, you can call Twitter’s Ethics Hotline at (800) 275-4843 or submit a report at ethicshelpline.twitter.com.

Not for long lol!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Rigel posted:

its me, elon musk,

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Huh

https://twitter.com/chrisna/status/1590138823643889664/photo/3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I wonder if the Tesla job application I sent in with my actual, functional business plan has been read by HR yet.