Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what do you like best
This poll is closed.
pics 69 0.39%
vids 420 2.40%
gazza.txt 8008 45.77%
havin yer mam 9001 51.44%
Total: 17498 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dollas posted:

Some questions from an american grassroots referee recert test. if you're wondering why the 15 year old referee doesn't know when the ball is actually out of bounds or in play it's because most of the questions are "should you punch the coach for talking loud true/false" or "what's the restart if the ball explodes on contact while a substituted player throws a team official at an opposing GK inside their own penalty area"

B, A (dunno), A, A?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Huh, didn't even know the first scenario wasn't allowed lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Indirect free kick, make a note in your match report, penalty to manchester united

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

B, A (dunno), A, A?

You scored a 50%.

B - IFK where the GK handled the ball, since it counts as an illegal pass back to the GK
B - you can make a hash mark 10 yards from the corner arc to show how far back defenders have to stand before a corner kick is taken
A - since the ball doesn’t burst until it’s in play, your restart is a drop ball where it burst
B - although the defender is standing in the penalty area, he strikes the opponent outside the penalty area. The actual contact with the opponent is therefore outside the penalty area and should result in a DFK at that spot and a red card. The reverse would also be true - if the defender is outside the penalty, but punches an attacker inside the penalty area, it would be a PK.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sourdough posted:

Pretty sure you can still lie on the ground and nod the ball back to the keeper though since you're not controlling the ball first.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Nottherealaborn posted:

You scored a 50%.

B - IFK where the GK handled the ball, since it counts as an illegal pass back to the GK
B - you can make a hash mark 10 yards from the corner arc to show how far back defenders have to stand before a corner kick is taken
A - since the ball doesn’t burst until it’s in play, your restart is a drop ball where it burst
B - although the defender is standing in the penalty area, he strikes the opponent outside the penalty area. The actual contact with the opponent is therefore outside the penalty area and should result in a DFK at that spot and a red card. The reverse would also be true - if the defender is outside the penalty, but punches an attacker inside the penalty area, it would be a PK.

1. You did the correct thing that every official would do, but because this question is worded stupid, you got it wrong. The answer is A. The offense that was committed first was the Unsporting Behavior, not the pass back!
2. Correct
3. Correct
4. Correct

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Bonus round, yes these are real.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Law 14:
"A penalty kick is awarded if a player commits a direct free kick offence inside their penalty area or off the field as part of play as outlined in Laws 12 and 13."

I interpreted this as it being a penalty because the offending player is inside their penalty area when they commit the offence.

Dollas posted:

Bonus round, yes these are real.

1: A
2: D

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 9, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Law 14:
"A penalty kick is awarded if a player commits a direct free kick offence inside their penalty area or off the field as part of play as outlined in Laws 12 and 13."

I interpreted this as it being a penalty because the offending player is inside their penalty area when they commit the offence.

1: A
2: D

1 is B because it's not DOGSO as it's an untouched throw

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

greazeball posted:

1 is B because it's not DOGSO as it's an untouched throw

yeah you're right "stopping a promising attack" made me think dogso

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

yeah you're right "stopping a promising attack" made me think dogso

yeah it was poorly worded. it's not a promising attack if nobody is there and it's just gonna be a goal kick. if an attacker is there it's deffo red. isn't this fun?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Dollas posted:

1. You did the correct thing that every official would do, but because this question is worded stupid, you got it wrong. The answer is A. The offense that was committed first was the Unsporting Behavior, not the pass back!
2. Correct
3. Correct
4. Correct

Regarding 1., this example is straight from IFAB. The yellow is given to the player who circumvented the passing rule, but the spot of the IFK is where the ball is illegally handled.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

sourdough posted:

Alphonso Davies did it once before Canada was good
https://www.clippituser.tv/c/genmea

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Nottherealaborn posted:

Regarding 1., this example is straight from IFAB. The yellow is given to the player who circumvented the passing rule, but the spot of the IFK is where the ball is illegally handled.

That may be directly from IFAB, but it does not address the scenario I posted. That deals with a straight pass back to the GK. The scenario I posted is dealing with the defender 'initiating a trick' to circumvent the passback rules.

From IFAB:
"An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:
- initiates a deliberate trick for the ball to be passed (including from a free kick or goal kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands; the goalkeeper is penalised if responsible for initiating the deliberate trick"

The whole point of the thing was to point out how stupid the questions were worded from the perspective of an inexperienced referee who does mostly games involving 8 year olds. The question is indeed very confusing and makes a person assume that a passback has been made or that the intention of the question is to deal with the situation of the GK handling the ball.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1590284487023525888

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Gigi Galli posted:

I have all the time in the world for fat Ilicic. Just look at that smile through those jowls, he's happy again.

Oh yeah I love it. Something about a fat footballer who still does a job, but especially Ilicic.

The comment section is a gold mine.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Dollas posted:

That may be directly from IFAB, but it does not address the scenario I posted. That deals with a straight pass back to the GK. The scenario I posted is dealing with the defender 'initiating a trick' to circumvent the passback rules.

From IFAB:
"An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:
- initiates a deliberate trick for the ball to be passed (including from a free kick or goal kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands; the goalkeeper is penalised if responsible for initiating the deliberate trick"

The whole point of the thing was to point out how stupid the questions were worded from the perspective of an inexperienced referee who does mostly games involving 8 year olds. The question is indeed very confusing and makes a person assume that a passback has been made or that the intention of the question is to deal with the situation of the GK handling the ball.

Interesting. I see what you’re saying now, and get it. The actual infraction you’re penalizing is the attempt to circumvent the rule on passing back to the keeper, and therefore the spot of the foul is wherever the defender is standing.

I’d love to see an instance where a referee stops play, issues a yellow, and awards an IFK to a team for circumventing this law without the keeper ever even handling it. Imagine trying to defend that decision to the whole teams, coaches, and spectators without getting chased off.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1590305987722113025

Incredible

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

to be fair the yankee custom of puttign the month before the date before the year is very silly

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

to be fair the yankee custom of puttign the month before the date before the year is very silly
To be fair, depending on where you live in the US there might be about four months of the year where it's regularly above freezing so you probably place more importance on what month it is than what day of the month it is.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Crazy Ted posted:

To be fair, depending on where you live in the US there might be about four months of the year where it's regularly above freezing so you probably place more importance on what month it is than what day of the month it is.

This is maybe the dumbest justification for anything I've heard

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Crazy Ted posted:

What

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

as opposed to tropical UK, Sweden or Norway

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

This isn't a thing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Is this a bit because god drat

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

have you dummies ever read sarcasm before

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Crazy Ted posted:

have you dummies ever read sarcasm before

Butterfly Valley posted:

This is maybe the dumbest justification for anything I've heard

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Are Nike bringing back their :krad: commercials???

https://twitter.com/nikefootball/status/1590977717935411201?t=dL24X43Ga01jPM47BFSOxg&s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Shortest fuckin debate ever lmao

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
I don't really know where to post this but it's a photo so here we are. The only book David Icke owns that he didn't write himself is a copy of Joey Barton's autobiography, No Nonsense

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bnLWN3_swk

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 12, 2022

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lmao that's ridiculous. But I also have never seen substitutes warm up behind the goal, probably for this exact reason.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That one’s pretty clear cut I guess, but if the ball was flying at the sub and he had no choice but to block it, I wonder if that’s still a pen.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

That one’s pretty clear cut I guess, but if the ball was flying at the sub and he had no choice but to block it, I wonder if that’s still a pen.

Yes, if he touched the ball while it was still on the pitch.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/bryansgunn/status/1591328224977752067?s=20&t=wSye0Zj1r3A3wYsl887Ojw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Garang Kuol came on as a sub 55 minutes in with his side down to 10 men, promptly won and scored a penalty that he absolutely howked, and then did this for his second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ThwlT4cRs&t=139s

The touch and that absolute rocket combination is tasty.