Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
quite the gap

https://twitter.com/XpeaGPU/status/1590221795462107136

on a similar page, tpu's gpu database would probably be the easiest thing to scrape if one wanted to do some napkin comparisons between cards over time, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the 4090Ti happening for sure? If we assume Ada tops out at the 4090 then everything kind of falls into the right place, historically. Only the last gen was weird really.

So it's really only the 4080 12GB scam and the prices overall that are out of whack.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Who gives a gently caress about model names, the problem is the pricing, just like with the 2xxx launch before the Super refreshes.

We're going to get a 4070 Super at some point that fixes this whole mess and gives people on 1080 Tis or 2070S something that's a clear upgrade without being an awful value.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we haven't heard anything definitive about a 4090ti but nvidia could certainly do it if they wanted to, the 4090 is enough of a cutdown that a 4090ti could be a good ~12% faster on paper

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Who gives a gently caress about model names, the problem is the pricing, just like with the 2xxx launch before the Super refreshes.

We're going to get a 4070 Super at some point that fixes this whole mess and gives people on 1080 Tis or 2070S something that's a clear upgrade without being an awful value.
The naming was rather problematic for the 4080 12GB.

Otherwise of course it's the pricing, $1000 is ridiculous whether they call it a 4080 or 4070 or whatever.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the 4090Ti happening for sure? If we assume Ada tops out at the 4090 then everything kind of falls into the right place, historically. Only the last gen was weird really.

So it's really only the 4080 12GB scam and the prices overall that are out of whack.

The 4090 die is about 200mm^2 less than the reticle limit of TSMC's 4nm process. That is to say, they can make a bigger chip, but it would be a true monster to power, cool and pay for. So perhaps yes, they can make a 4090ti, but from what we have seen from AMD, Nvidia would be competing with themselves.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 4090 does not use the whole die. The full AD102 has 18432 cuda cores, while the 4090 uses only 16384. So the 4090 Ti wouldn't be based on a new die closer to the reticle limit--it would just actually use the entire AD102 die. There were some reports that Nvidia has already started binning chips for this, but then there were reports that Nvidia canceled plans for a 4090 Ti, so who knows. Nvidia has a workstation GPU that uses more of the die, so the best samples are probably going there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they didn't announce a price for the nearly fully unlocked AD102 workstation card, who's going to do the needful and buy one to benchmark cyberpunk

speaking of workstation cards gamersnexus did an expensive teardown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r_SwjYogQE

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 9, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Cheap Trick posted:

I'm looking to build a new PC next week and will probably pick up a 3080 10GB for $1200-ish. gently caress paying 3 grand for a video card

last month 3080s were $200 AUD less than that fwiw

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 4090 does not use the whole die. The full AD102 has 18432 cuda cores, while the 4090 uses only 16384. So the 4090 Ti wouldn't be based on a new die closer to the reticle limit--it would just actually use the entire AD102 die. There were some reports that Nvidia has already started binning chips for this, but then there were reports that Nvidia canceled plans for a 4090 Ti, so who knows. Nvidia has a workstation GPU that uses more of the die, so the best samples are probably going there.

weren't the cancellation reports about the crazy 48GB/800W Titan that had been rumoured, I think the 4090 Ti is still a possibility

lih fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 9, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My Ampere A6000 performed between a 3080 and 3090, I'd expect the Ada 6000 to slot in similarly partially due to not having G6X VRAM

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I didn't know that they had comparatively easy room to "scale" ad102. Thanks for explaining.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Thanks to the person who posted about the promotion that's happening with some RX 6000 cards. I didn't go for that, but I did find myself a 6600 XT which was nicely on sale.

Now I can quit fretting about how long it's gonna take AMD and/or Nvidia to release midrange cards. I'm still gonna be reading about them when they do happen, tho.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
GPU game bundles are a scam, I bought an R9 290 with free Star Citizen and the GPU is gone now but the game never released.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think it's just Star Citizen that's a scam there

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nvidia/AMD got mad that people were selling the keys so now all you get is a locked-down copy of stuff like DLC for Doom: Eternal with your $1200 card

I'm sure it was the publishers that were complaining but I never got why anyone gave a crap since they all still got paid.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Twerk from Home posted:

GPU game bundles are a scam, I bought an R9 290 with free Star Citizen and the GPU is gone now but the game never released.

Look, if you got a game 8 years ago, you would have likely got a few hours of enjoyment out of it. Star Citizen has given you over seventy thousand hours of anticipation. That kind of value has never existed in the gaming space.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1590494651579912192

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cheap Trick posted:

Up until mid-March, it would have been more like $2200 AUD

I'm sure that's a good deal. Sorry, wasn't clear - I read your post as USD - "3080 10GB sweet deal at $1200 USD" was so true last year that I had some time dissonance for a sec.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
$1200 AUD for a 3080 10GB is just a little over MSRP, it's not bad but there were much better deals a month ago

https://www.pcbyte.com.au/p/pny-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-xlr8-revel-epic-x-rgb-10gb-lhr-video-card-vcg308010ltfxppb-325664

there's one for $1100 AUD here, that's not the lowest it's been but it's less than MSRP so still quite a good deal

lih fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 10, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nvidia/AMD got mad that people were selling the keys so now all you get is a locked-down copy of stuff like DLC for Doom: Eternal with your $1200 card

I'm sure it was the publishers that were complaining but I never got why anyone gave a crap since they all still got paid.

It was probably AMD/Nvidia pushing that methodology. By locking down the copies they can negotiate for a reduced tie-in valuation for a bunch of reasons.

In other words it's cheaper to bundle a game when the utilization rate is lower through consumer unfriendly lockdown mechanisms. Doing it this way is likely only fractionally as expensive as offering a completely agnostic key like they did during the good ol' days.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 10, 2022

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

lih posted:

last month 3080s were $200 AUD less than that fwiw

drat. Too bad I wasn't in a position to pick up the parts back then. Still have my eyes on the Asus TUF but maybe I'll get that PNY model instead. Thanks for the tip

v1ld posted:

I'm sure that's a good deal. Sorry, wasn't clear - I read your post as USD - "3080 10GB sweet deal at $1200 USD" was so true last year that I had some time dissonance for a sec.

No worries, you're cool :)

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 10, 2022

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Is there any go-to 10 ft HDMi 2.1 cable that won't break the bank?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
My little system builder and Pc part shop here in Germany leaked their internal prices.
The 7900xtx top customs will listed at 1500 Euro and go up to 1600 Euro lol
The 4080 top customs like the Strix will be 1990 Euro.

So no, RDNA3 is cheaper but it isn’t saving high end pc gaming gpu prices over here.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That’s the other issue, it’s all well and good having MSRP lower but stores still have dollar signs in their eyes and will continue to jack up prices and hand wave it away because something something inflation.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ChazTurbo posted:

Is there any go-to 10 ft HDMi 2.1 cable that won't break the bank?

I order kabeldirekt cables and two sided velcro straps from amazon.de. I live in EU though.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Mr.PayDay posted:

My little system builder and Pc part shop here in Germany leaked their internal prices.
The 7900xtx top customs will listed at 1500 Euro and go up to 1600 Euro lol
The 4080 top customs like the Strix will be 1990 Euro.

So no, RDNA3 is cheaper but it isn’t saving high end pc gaming gpu prices over here.
damning with faint praise here, but it is genuinely nice that the first-party gpu's are available to a european customer base, unlike fe which seem to basically be na-only at this point?

one of the things i like about amd is that they have their own shop, just in case the stores here decide to get too stupid with their price gouging

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

kliras posted:

damning with faint praise here, but it is genuinely nice that the first-party gpu's are available to a european customer base, unlike fe which seem to basically be na-only at this point?

one of the things i like about amd is that they have their own shop, just in case the stores here decide to get too stupid with their price gouging

Nvidia do as well. And in the UK you can buy FE cards from there. They don’t have a retailer exclusivity agreement like they do in the US with Best Buy.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my 2060S in, and 3DVision is still cool dammit. Scratches an itch that VR doesn't, and it's much less hassle throwing on a pair of shutter glasses than putting on a headset. Wish it had taken off, but there are a lot of good games on the supported list. Had to roll back to Win10 1909 and run a hacked 452.06 driver, but community tools made that pretty easy.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
whoops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBlkt7oZuw

full video which looks quite good overall though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOP_p_7EDX8

background of the car sequence are a bit uneven, but it's still pretty amazing to have this versus the massive trade-offs of taa/fxaa/smaa. we'd be pretty spoiled if more games supported it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the one comparison of it on and off on the Series S I saw was impressive. 1.61 with FSR2 has no performance drops where 1.6 without FSR2 had drips into the mid to low 50s.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1599660/view/3430081245013487928

quote:

Fixed Stutters Relating to Shader Compilation

:toot:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kliras posted:

full video which looks quite good overall though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOP_p_7EDX8
The NPC bobbing her head around at 0:55, DLSS creates way less artifacting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wonder what the hold up with DLSS3 is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The NPC bobbing her head around at 0:55, DLSS creates way less artifacting.

Check out the trees around 0:42, yikes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A friend of mine (he worked on Space/TimeWarp and general GPU insanity at Oculus when I was there) brought his company out of stealth today: Juice, which does IP-based transparent remoting of GPU resources at high speed.

https://www.juicelabs.co/

Binaries available for Windows, Linux (Ubuntu), and Mac; works inside VMs; no client program modifications required. I’ve seen some demo videos of it before and it is pretty friggin’ nuts.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Not surprising. Cyberpunk is one of the visually noisiest games ever made. If you remember how it looks with TAA forced off, it's a horror show of single-pixel flickering. DLSS does incredible work taming that. I don't know that FSR will ever be that great at dealing with extreme levels of noise.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

even DLSS isn't really designed to handle extreme noise on the input, they recommend running stochastic effects through some kind of denoiser before the DLSS pass

cyberpunk just YOLOs it and leaves the TAA/TAAU to figure it out

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AI-generation folks: Is there a Stable Diffusion but for speech synthesis? Asking for a friend that is mute and just dropped making youtube videos because of the cost to have other people make TTS on THEIR servers instead of using the perfectly-good hardware they have in their own computer.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AI-generation folks: Is there a Stable Diffusion but for speech synthesis? Asking for a friend that is mute and just dropped making youtube videos because of the cost to have other people make TTS on THEIR servers instead of using the perfectly-good hardware they have in their own computer.
Nvidia has some kind of TTS system but IIRC it requires Windows 11 (for VM GPU passthrough?) so I never really looked into it.
Also maybe: https://github.com/coqui-ai/TTS
Coqui took a bit too much memory and was a bit too slow for me to like it when I was doing some TTS stuff. e: also it is not at all user friendly, it's dev-focused

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Subjunctive posted:

A friend of mine (he worked on Space/TimeWarp and general GPU insanity at Oculus when I was there) brought his company out of stealth today: Juice, which does IP-based transparent remoting of GPU resources at high speed.

https://www.juicelabs.co/

Binaries available for Windows, Linux (Ubuntu), and Mac; works inside VMs; no client program modifications required. I’ve seen some demo videos of it before and it is pretty friggin’ nuts.

This looks incredibly promising, thanks for sharing! Would be a great way to have GPU sharing in a homelab situation without needing to either buy in to NVIDIA's vGpu ecosystem or wait for Intel to provide SRIOV support for Arc-based GPUs.