Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Charlz Guybon posted:

Woah... That's by far the worst estimate I've seen for Ukraine’s military casualties.

Also a bit of a tonal shift from the US there (assuming Milley can be used to understand US policy)

quote:

He also said that signs Kyiv was willing to re-enter talks with Moscow offered "a window" for negotiations.

In recent days, Ukraine has signalled a willingness to hold some discussions with Moscow, after President Volodymyr Zelensky dropped a demand that his opposite number, Vladimir Putin, must be removed from power before negotiations could resume.

But speaking in New York, Gen Milley added that for any talks to be successful, both Russia and Ukraine would have to reach a "mutual recognition" that a wartime victory "is maybe not achievable through military means, and therefore you need to turn to other means".

The top general - who serves as President Joe Biden's most senior military adviser - said the scale of the casualties could convince both Moscow and Kyiv of the need to negotiate over the coming winter months, when fighting may slow due to freezing conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I dont think that comment was meant to be an accurate estimate.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/AmericanAcademy/status/1590669122370555904

... Is the prize given for advancing dictatorship via short-sighted self-interest as a prize named after Kissinger ought to be?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

Woah... That's by far the worst estimate I've seen for Ukraine’s military casualties.

The exact quote is that “You are looking at well over 100,000 Russian soldiers killed and wounded,” Milley said in remarks at the Economic Club of New York. “Same thing probably on the Ukrainian side.”

Not exactly official, and yeah, higher than any other estimate I've seen. However... the grinding stalemate really favored Russia's incredible advantage in artillery. That's when you were seeing Ukraine toss around numbers like 100-250 being killed daily. Until HIMARS disrupted their logistics, Ukraine had to make up the gap with blood.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I recall reading somewhere that Russia's WIA:KIA ratio was really bad due to challenges with recovering and providing adequate care for wounded, but I can't find a source for that offhand other than Trent Talenko, who I don't really believe. I can believe that Ukraine generally has more adequate field medical care for wounded, which would skew the relative ratios in favor of Ukraine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some U.S. and Western officials think neither side can win and see winter as a shot at diplomacy in Ukraine-Russia war

I'd love to know what anonymous officials they're getting quotes from on this.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Ukraine's chief concrete advantage has always been manpower despite being 1/4th the size of Russia

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Milley says as much in the thing I quoted

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I don't see any side agreeing to anything because anything that does not see 1)Russia gain at least some of the territory it annexed, and 2) Ukraine liberate all of the territory it lost since 2014, will be treated as high treason in their respective countries, meaning the conflict essentially has existential stakes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FishBulbia posted:

Milley says as much in the thing I quoted

nah those are different sources of the same line, there's no reason you'd call someone openly saying something at a public event an unnamed official with knowledge of the situation or w/e euphemism they used.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kherson territory is falling under UA control rapidly at the moment it seems.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1590720526364053508

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1590720613903380485

https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1590717061441130496

UA troops advancing beyond Mylove and Novye Kairi is significant since that puts the crossing at Nova Kachovka under fire control, so it seems unlikely Russia would let this happen if the retreat was a feint.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah Kherson is definitely a withdrawal, it just looks like a weird one because Russia is so limited by the routes out of Kherson. Everything we're seeing out of Kherson looks like what you'd expect from a painfully gradual, albeit also urgent withdrawal. Not long ago there were as many as 30,000 Russian troops and associated materiel in kherson and the evacuation is primarily being conducted by a half dozen or so barges ferrying people back and forth

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

nah those are different sources of the same line, there's no reason you'd call someone openly saying something at a public event an unnamed official with knowledge of the situation or w/e euphemism they used.

I'm not saying he's literally the source, but that view is clearly being pushed by the biden admin right now, or at least his military advisors.

"But speaking in New York, Gen Milley added that for any talks to be successful, both Russia and Ukraine would have to reach a "mutual recognition" that a wartime victory "is maybe not achievable through military means, and therefore you need to turn to other means".

The top general - who serves as President Joe Biden's most senior military adviser - said the scale of the casualties could convince both Moscow and Kyiv of the need to negotiate over the coming winter months, when fighting may slow due to freezing conditions."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

FishBulbia posted:

I'm not saying he's literally the source, but that view is clearly being pushed by the biden admin right now, or at least his military advisors.

"But speaking in New York, Gen Milley added that for any talks to be successful, both Russia and Ukraine would have to reach a "mutual recognition" that a wartime victory "is maybe not achievable through military means, and therefore you need to turn to other means".

The top general - who serves as President Joe Biden's most senior military adviser - said the scale of the casualties could convince both Moscow and Kyiv of the need to negotiate over the coming winter months, when fighting may slow due to freezing conditions."

? It's not being pushed by the biden admin, it's being pushed by milley at a private speaking engagement and one or two unnamed defense officials (and not from one of the pentagon's background briefings). Biden's messaging wrt negotiations has been much more straight forward, though who knows maybe we're seeing a change there, but I'm not buying that as the messaging until at least one person goes on the record saying that

tbh it feels like a message that was prepared for what a lot of people thought the political realities would be this week instead of what the political realities are this week

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 10, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It appears likely that someone is trying to sell the river as a new "natural" boundary between Russia's annexations and Ukraine.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm seeing a lot of articles citing General Mark Milley recently but I can't find the original conference (he was at The Economic Club of New York on Wednesday).

Some floating quotes I've seen:

quote:

Ukraine and Russia should reach "mutual understanding ”that a victory“ probably cannot be achieved by military means, and it is therefore necessary to try other paths."

"When an opportunity to negotiate is created, when it is possible to achieve peace, the opportunity must be seized "

"a complete military victory by one of the two sides appears increasingly unlikely ".

from: https://www.agenzianova.com/en/news/the-chief-of-staff-uses-milley-the-withdrawal-of-russian-forces-from-kherson-may-open-a-dialogue-box/

One more interesting one which directly answers a question I had earlier in the thread:

quote:

Speaking at an event in New York, chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff Mark Milley, estimated Russia had up to 30,000 troops north of the Dnipro in that area. “This is going to take them days and perhaps even weeks to pull those forces south of that river,” he said.

from: https://www.ft.com/content/396db8b9-87c3-4b31-8b78-3c14ffcba3a7

That's going to be a lot of opportunity for Ukrainians to do damage.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm seeing a lot of articles citing General Mark Milley recently but I can't find the original conference (he was at The Economic Club of New York on Wednesday).

Some floating quotes I've seen:

from: https://www.agenzianova.com/en/news/the-chief-of-staff-uses-milley-the-withdrawal-of-russian-forces-from-kherson-may-open-a-dialogue-box/

One more interesting one which directly answers a question I had earlier in the thread:

from: https://www.ft.com/content/396db8b9-87c3-4b31-8b78-3c14ffcba3a7

That's going to be a lot of opportunity for Ukrainians to do damage.

Here's the event, top item:
https://www.econclubny.org/web/pages/news-media

Looks like it'll be potentially possible to snag a copy of the video in a week, if someone from the club leaks it.

The Agenzianova article is quoting him on CNN, but especially given other inaccuracies, it appears likely to be misattributing a CNN article, here, which is also quoting the Economic Club talk. "dialogue box" appears to be a garbled "window of opportunity", for instance.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 10, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulbia posted:

Also a bit of a tonal shift from the US there (assuming Milley can be used to understand US policy)
Putin being removed as a precondition was never a serious demand, it was clearly never gonna happen. So I wouldn't read too much into this either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

It appears likely that someone is trying to sell the river as a new "natural" boundary between Russia's annexations and Ukraine.

Which makes a certain amount of sense except that with kherson taken all of Crimea is going to be in HIMARs range.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The exact quote is that “You are looking at well over 100,000 Russian soldiers killed and wounded,” Milley said in remarks at the Economic Club of New York. “Same thing probably on the Ukrainian side.”

Not exactly official, and yeah, higher than any other estimate I've seen. However... the grinding stalemate really favored Russia's incredible advantage in artillery. That's when you were seeing Ukraine toss around numbers like 100-250 being killed daily. Until HIMARS disrupted their logistics, Ukraine had to make up the gap with blood.

It's obviously been policy to mostly keep mum about Ukrainian casualties, especially how they compare to Russian ones. So if it gets debated now, it's probably part of the push to start negotiations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

tbh it feels like a message that was prepared for what a lot of people thought the political realities would be this week instead of what the political realities are this week

World politics does not revolve around 4 seats in the US senate, sorry. This is egomania. I highly doubt the midterm is center to US military planning.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's easy to be part of the Russian propaganda machine when things are going your way, but the more obvious the farce becomes the worse it gets. This is amazing:

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1590729203485356034

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Chalks posted:

It's easy to be part of the Russian propaganda machine when things are going your way, but the more obvious the farce becomes the worse it gets. This is amazing:

It's actually now illegal to celebrate or propose the surrender of Kherson AND to criticize the Russian Army for surrendering Kherson.

"They did a great job defending Russian territory by wisely withdrawing from Kherson in order to keep Kherson"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

FishBulbia posted:

World politics does not revolve around 4 seats in the US senate, sorry. This is egomania. I highly doubt the midterm is center to US military planning.

world politics certainly doesn't but american messaging 100% does and you are the one suggesting that this is a messaging effort

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

world politics certainly doesn't but american messaging 100% does and you are the one suggesting that this is a messaging effort

Republicans still by and large support Ukraine. It had barely anything to do with the midterm. Republicans have 50 seats instead of 54! Quick! Scrap all messaging about negotiations!

Egomania. If you need to believe your vote saved the free world to go vote, whatever

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 10, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
In one week we went from the soon-to-be house majority leader saying that aid to Ukraine will end under his watch (and what they expected to be a 20+ seat majority) to Kellyanne Conway talking about how America first now includes support for Ukraine and Russia out of Ukraine.

Your comment about the senate has no bearing either: senate support for Ukraine has never been in question, it's been heavily bipartisan and overwhelming since day one and that has not changed.

FishBulbia posted:

Egomania. If you need to believe your vote saved the free world to go vote, whatever

:rolleyes:

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 10, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

In one week we went from future house majority leader saying that aid to Ukraine will end under his watch (and what they expected to be a 20+ seat majority) to kellyanne conway talking about how america first now includes support for Ukraine.

senate support for ukraine has never been in question, it's been heavily bipartisan and overwhelming since day one

It's a shame the US military is apparently slow to get the memo and still lying then

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
idk what you're on about at this point but I'd be very surprised if Milley's remarks were prepared day of his speaking engagement.

Icehawk
Jul 19, 2022

Things seem to be happening reeeallly quick in Kherson region today. ZSU definitely on the move and lots of new towns confirmed liberated. Going to be interesting to see how hard they will be able to press the Russians over the coming days and if they are able to pocket or capture any large groups of them or if they just play it safe and just let them go with just some artillery harassment at the river crossings.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

It's a shame the US military is apparently slow to get the memo and still lying then

Enough of this.

Ah oh well, that’s an unfortunate edit.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
This withdrawal from Kherson has been the goal from the start, where Ukraine hits the logistics of the occupation troops and they have to choose between complete collapse or withdrawal. If you told us Ukraine would take Kherson without a fight in August then we'd be ecstatic.

Now both sides race to increase their capabilities over the winter and prep for a fight in the spring.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The recent calculation from public budget figures on payments to the families of deceased soldiers showed 16k dead for Russia. That number is probably the floor.

https://t.me/mozhemobyasnit/14009

Considering the widespread unspoken policy on being stingy with payments/keeping status as MIA as long as possible and presuming 1:3 or 1:4 killed to wounded ratio, real number of combined killed+wounded aligns closely with figures called by US (100k)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Morrow posted:

This withdrawal from Kherson has been the goal from the start, where Ukraine hits the logistics of the occupation troops and they have to choose between complete collapse or withdrawal. If you told us Ukraine would take Kherson without a fight in August then we'd be ecstatic.

Now both sides race to increase their capabilities over the winter and prep for a fight in the spring.

Yeah, I think a Russian withdrawal would minimize damage to the civilian infrastructure and is easily the best possible outcome here.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The casualties among TDF were also really high in the early days. Back when Russia was trying to encircle Kharkiv, the line in large areas was held by entirely green TDF, basically just volunteers with no training who got handed rifles. I know someone from the area who says that the first few weeks were just really bloody for the defenders.

For a long time, Ukraine citied "military deaths" and pointedly avoided questions on whether this covered just the regulars, or also the national guard, or also ad-hoc TDF. Until they had actually trained troops holding everywhere, I don't think the exchanges in lives favored them.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Chalks posted:

That's some catch, that catch-22.

I imagine watching this would be much more disheartening than hearing spin in either direction, is the intention to stifle discussion of the war?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You are being exposed to propaganda from Ukraine. I don't mean this in a negative way, you just have to recognize it as such. Ukraine has killed a fair number of BTG commanders, a few brigade commanders, and like one or two divisional guys. You also tend to kill the least competent of your opponents - the guys that sit still for days/weeks, that use the radio too much, that have predictable patterns, that don't disperse or effectively locate their CPs, etc. You're not hearing about all the CPs that aren't getting hit.

I don't think the operational leadership level of the army is quite so political. Sure, the guys at the top are being replaced for political reasons, but the dead BTG commander isn't being replaced by a political appointee, he's being replaced by one of the more competent company commanders or a good BTG staff officer. Don't assume the Russian army is completely incompetent and can't learn from its mistakes.

This is never how reality works. A dead commander isn't inherently an incompetent commander, and the replacement isn't inherently a more competent commander.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Your comment about the senate has no bearing either: senate support for Ukraine has never been in question, it's been heavily bipartisan and overwhelming since day one and that has not changed.

Not that the midterms will have any overall impact on this, but I do wonder if the Senate GOP isn't about to induct a few more... Ukraine-skeptical members. JD Vance saying he didn't really care about what happened in Ukraine one way or another some time back springs to mind.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
JD Vance has been playing a Trumper, it won't surprise me if he decides to play someone else later.

WarpedLichen posted:

Yeah, I think a Russian withdrawal would minimize damage to the civilian infrastructure and is easily the best possible outcome here.

There are reports that they blew up a bunch of civilian heat/electricity infrastructure while withdrawing
https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/11/10/7375822/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kchama posted:

This is never how reality works. A dead commander isn't inherently an incompetent commander, and the replacement isn't inherently a more competent commander.

On balance, in combat, churning commanders is going to drive better results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

On balance, in combat, churning commanders is going to drive better results.

What.

That is not how this works at all.