Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

PERMACAV 50 posted:

I’m pretty sure they at least no longer despawn if your pubbie dunks all the engrams though.

Yeah, it's not too bad I was just feeling crabby yesterday. The same thing would happen in the Haunted Lost Sectors and I'd get annoyed at players for killing things almost instantly when really the progress should just be fireteam based for many things.

I got 12 Ruffians in either 4 or 5 runs yesterday, so that was nice.

The Expedition on Nessus is funny because the first jammer always shows up when a big wave of Vex spawn in so you see them show up and they immediately go immune and disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Going to go against general opinion here and say that I personally considered Season of the Haunted to be one of the best seasons they've put out in a long time, for a few reasons.

First and foremost - I was not a Y1 player. I started Y2, and my experience with Leviathan prior to this was only a scant handful of successful runs, the CoS raid, and Menagerie. As such, I really dug them turning the Leviathan into an explorable patrol space and turning the Underbelly into a bunch of single player mini-missions, because most of this was still new to me. I recall hoping they'd do this more, because I'd love to see something like the opening City block encounter from Scourge of the Past turned into a mini-patrol space with stuff to shoot in it. I loved the bigger story focus. Duality was buggy and phalanxes drove me nuts like everyone else but on the whole it was a good experience and the enemy density made it very challenging, especially early in the season.

I didn't have a problem with nightmare containment, and I still don't; every seasonal activity turns into a bit of a mindless shoot-dudes grind after you've done it enough to see all the variations, and there is fundamentally no difference between NC, ketchcrash, expeditions, psiops, dares, or anything else once you've run those variations enough time. All I want from this specific tier of activity is to be able to chill out with whatever guns I felt the need to bring, all I need for that is to have enough dudes to shoot, and NC delivers on that.

The most important thing was the guns were good. A D2 season lives and dies by guns and you got back a bunch of real bangers from Menagerie, Stormchaser became a new top-tier DPS gun to chase, and Incandescent was the best weapon perk added to the game until they added Voltshot. I'm much less fond of season of the Plunder and it's mostly because the seasonal weapons feel a lot less good and in worse archetypes, Voltshot-accessible weapons excepted.

syntaxfunction posted:

The biggest complaint with the last seasons, and in general, at the moment are that it's very samey and by-the-numbers.

I think this hits it right on the head as far as my concerns go. As much as I liked Haunted, the problems with the game got put into very stark relief for me when I moved into Plunder and now the guns weren't as good, the story wasn't as good, the grind was just as bad, and there just wasn't a lot of innovation to be had. The fundamental structure of a season has not changed for six seasons now, and it's not going to change next season because that's how the content pipeline works. 4-8 weeks of story missions, seasonal challenges to unlock perk upgrades at the seasonal vendor, 5-6 guns, 1-2 weekly redboxes. King's Fall pretty much carried the season for me.

This has, I think, reached the limits of it's lifespan as far as a design goes and if Lightfall seasons work the same I'm going to be very disappointed.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 10, 2022

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I miss archon forge and AoT

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I miss Mars...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Age of Triumph is happening next season for sure

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Bungie also still really struggles with putting so much design work into the poo poo you see the least of in a given season of content. It absolutely boggles my loving mind that they added Space Pirate Boarding Action as an event and also Run Around Years Old Patrol Spaces Throwing poo poo into Thing as an event and then split the necessary activity time for these two events 10/90 respectively for engaging with the seasonal model.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I liked Haunted because the hidden bosses and hunting for secret bobbleheads part of it felt like the stuff I used to love doing on Destiny 1. Sort of wish they'd do more stuff like that, instead of just a challenge / triumph / quest that tells you to do the same thing ten times.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

haveblue posted:

Age of Triumph is happening next season for sure

/doubt

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I assume that's a joke?

Otherwise I'm not sure what it means/implies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lightfall / year 6 is reportedly running the exact same playbook as years 4 and 5

We'll get 4 seasons of raid dungeon raid dungeon, and a new Activity we have to grind 40 times to upgrade a wall of chores

The Final Shape was not part of the road map originally so I doubt it's going to get a fully fledged Year of Seasons. Probably just the one annual expansion followed by an age of triumph style addition where all the game's content is modernized in some way for people to play until they get bored and pick up Marathon 2025

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eh, I don't really see any reason why Final Shape won't continue the same or similar structure following it. They made a point to say Final Shape won't be the last expansion / end of Destiny. If anything seasons will be much needed to wrap up the Light and Dark arc and lead into whatever is next.

Given the rumors of the Marathon game being Tarkov-like, I feel like "game where you lose your loot constantly" is not exactly going to be attractive to the average Destiny player.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Eh, I don't really see any reason why Final Shape won't continue the same or similar structure following it. They made a point to say Final Shape won't be the last expansion / end of Destiny. If anything seasons will be much needed to wrap up the Light and Dark arc and lead into whatever is next.

Given the rumors of the Marathon game being Tarkov-like, I feel like "game where you lose your loot constantly" is not exactly going to be attractive to the average Destiny player.

YOU GUYS I FINALLY GOT THE GOD ROLL I WAS GRINDING FO-*headshot*

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Goddamnit Telesto slaps

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sekenr posted:

Goddamnit Telesto slaps

What's it doing now?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

haveblue posted:

What's it doing now?

Slapping mans

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

They found the final content delivery shape, and just like a dead universe of mostly inert atoms spread light years apart, it will hold no excitement or surprise

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Saddest man that I missed out on Platinum Starling.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Did they remove the LL cap on mountain top? And is it even worth the price these days?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lexorin posted:

Did they remove the LL cap on mountain top? And is it even worth the price these days?

No and no

The only gear that has ever had the LL cap applied and then removed later is gear from Last Wish and Garden of Salvation. Everything else before season 10 is permanently sunset

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 10, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

haveblue posted:

No and no

The only gear that has ever had the LL cap applied and then removed later is gear from Last Wish and Garden of Salvation. Everything else before season 10 is permanently sunset

It shows it has an LL cap of 1580 in the "buy old exotics" kiosk between the vaults in the tower. So I thought maybe they'ed removed the cap.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lexorin posted:

It shows it has an LL cap of 1580 in the "buy old exotics" kiosk between the vaults in the tower. So I thought maybe they'ed removed the cap.

I don't know why it's doing that, but it shouldn't be possible to possess a mountaintop with an LL of more than 1350 in your inventory, so if you buy it that's most likely what you will get

The app shows it as 1350 in the kiosk listing, FWIW

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Glad I asked, because I didn't really want to spend that much crap on a maybe!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Literally nothing in the TWAB today beyond stuff we already knew and Telesto jokes. Next week is IB, I guess

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We are aware that Telesto is acting, well, like Telesto honestly. So, we wanted to give a little tip for the New Lights that may not have heard that when Telesto acts up, we just toss a blanket over it until we can put a more permanent fix in.

Anyway, no puzzles or secrets to be found. Despite what the machine says we are in full control of the situation and there is no need to panic.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like Bungie should just gently caress around and do dumb poo poo like this in the dead space at the end of the season personally.

As someone upthread observed, you have the weekly story quest, then when they run out you have the end of season event, and then you start getting the articles about how the playerbase is dropping off and maybe the game is dead, but which makes perfect sense with the seasonal model.

Like a lot of people have logged in to see what Telesto is doing today, it's kind of fun. There should be more fun, silly playing around things, like a rotator that makes precision hits explode in confetti, or taken randomly spawning in all over the place (including crucible), or letting you equip multiple exotics, or whatever. Stuff that would be OP or annoying if it was always on, but like mayhem, fun when it's every now and then.

I applaud Bungie for being dumb and fun, it's when they're at their best.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Anyway, no puzzles or secrets to be found. Despite what the machine says we are in full control of the situation and there is no need to panic.

It all returns to nothing. It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling dowwwnnnnn

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like Bungie should just gently caress around and do dumb poo poo like this in the dead space at the end of the season personally.

As someone upthread observed, you have the weekly story quest, then when they run out you have the end of season event, and then you start getting the articles about how the playerbase is dropping off and maybe the game is dead, but which makes perfect sense with the seasonal model.

Like a lot of people have logged in to see what Telesto is doing today, it's kind of fun. There should be more fun, silly playing around things, like a rotator that makes precision hits explode in confetti, or taken randomly spawning in all over the place (including crucible), or letting you equip multiple exotics, or whatever. Stuff that would be OP or annoying if it was always on, but like mayhem, fun when it's every now and then.

I applaud Bungie for being dumb and fun, it's when they're at their best.

There's apparently some datamined stuff for restoring the Eliksni Quarter, I figured it was going to start this week, I assume it must be next. Though, I'm going to laugh it ends up being the last week onyl.

But I do agree they should consider doing some wacky things in the last few weeks of the season, like finding a way to bring back the weird player limit breaking of raids and other activities.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We are aware that Telesto is acting, well, like Telesto honestly. So, we wanted to give a little tip for the New Lights that may not have heard that when Telesto acts up, we just toss a blanket over it until we can put a more permanent fix in.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

But I do agree they should consider doing some wacky things in the last few weeks of the season, like finding a way to bring back the weird player limit breaking of raids and other activities.
If there is one bug in this game I'm most sad about not jumping on, it's the 12 player raids, that would rule.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bungie pretends everything is under control only for telesto to "take over" again tomorrow, just in time for Trials of Telesto.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Oxyclean posted:

There's apparently some datamined stuff for restoring the Eliksni Quarter, I figured it was going to start this week, I assume it must be next. Though, I'm going to laugh it ends up being the last week onyl.

lol remember the end of S15 when you had one week to do the last mission and it was constantly bugged for that entire week

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

PERMACAV 50 posted:

lol remember the end of S15 when you had one week to do the last mission and it was constantly bugged for that entire week

What a poo poo show. That was the one where the bridge wasn't appearing for some players right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mesadoram posted:

What a poo poo show. That was the one where the bridge wasn't appearing for some players right?

That was the one where if someone canceled the ending cutscene no one got rewards or quest progress

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

haveblue posted:

That was the one where if someone canceled the ending cutscene no one got rewards or quest progress

I blame Mara for it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think there are multiple issues with the content all rearing their heads at the same time leading to increased dissatisfaction with the game.

1) The playlist activities are played-out. You eventually get tired doing of the same strikes. Crucible and Gambit map rotation has been too limited for years.
2) The seasonal economy upgrade process is too samey and full of near-worthless upgrades (and The One Upgrade That Actually Matters had to be patched in after player outcry this season).
3) The seasonal triumphs tack on long grinds after you were already done with the activity. All I have left for the seasonal title is that "Open 15 extra chests" one, I'm at 13/15, and I have trouble mustering up the motivation to grind those last few out. The only way I even got to 13 was doing expeditions for a couple pages each time to turn in for the Haunted lost sectors needed to hit 35 completions (another grind that was only to check a box) so I could maybe get some additional drops, and even that was more about legendary shard farming in preparation for the economy change than about chasing rolls I actually care about.
4) Having nearly all the craftable weapons require 5 deepsight drops is too long of a grind with too much rng vulnerability. Witch Queen/Risen had more variation, with some weapons dropping a lot more quickly so you can engage with the crafting and leveling sooner than 1/3 of the way through the season.
Edit: 5) I also think the LLS system has collapsed under the weight of how many exotics are in the pool. It doesn't feel like there's a point once you get the first drop of the new exotics for the season.

Dealing with 1-2 of those is less of an issue, but the more the pain points pile up...

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 10, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Second Age of Trump is inevitable, book it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wait what did they call the event at the end of season 11 where they challenged you to play all the old stuff and first sold a raid ring? I thought that was the second age of triumph

e: that was moments of triumph, derp

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 10, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i love the end of season doldrums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man normally the end of the season is my favorite time, because it means chasing Adept weapons without worrying about any pesky Power Climb

But I kinda feel like all the Adept Guns either suck, or the activity you get em from is in a bad place

I like what they're doing with Telesto even if it were to suddenly end without "turning into anything" though... It's fun and silly and self aware