Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Not gonna lie, I would do that but :effort:. Actually, I may take one of my broken sticks and do that for a tap handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Gonna make sure all my PBR Colorado teammates do this for 2024 lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Due to my poor communication skills my wife just finished grilling hamburgers and I have puck drop in an hour.

Eat hot burger and skate like poo poo, or skate well and eat cold burger later? I don't know what to do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cold burg who cares

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

3 beers now, microwaved burger after

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Henrik got it in one

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Cold burg who cares

I ate the burger and skated okay. I see this as success.

I did have several burger flavored belches on the bench though. Sorry team.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Save that poo poo for faceoffs or crop dusting the other bench

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Bonus points for making the ref dry heave at puck drop

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We had that happen one tournament, but that was because we had a dude puking on the bench.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Last season, we had a guy and his kid playing for us. The kid just turned 18 and hadn't skated since pre-Covid. In the hallway after the game, we're all waiting on someone to grab the key to the locker room. Meanwhile, the kid pukes ALL over the floor. His dad said "yeah, the dude chugged a bunch of Muscle Milks before the game. Guess he won't be doing that again."

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I've had brief disassociative episodes in the third period of my last two goalie games because we're playing at THE OLYMPIC OVAL where the hockey ice is inside the speedskating track so it's a huge building and in order to keep it warm they have big blasty heaters on the ceiling, which just so happen to aim down directly onto the creases. By the end of the game I feel roasted and dyhydrated and ready to die.

No puke yet though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Another goalie less game only this time we had 6 skaters. Had the lead for 2/3rds of the game. We ran out of gas with about 5 minutes left lost by 2 goals.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

calandryll posted:

Another goalie less game only this time we had 6 skaters. Had the lead for 2/3rds of the game. We ran out of gas with about 5 minutes left lost by 2 goals.

You could always ask around the rink if there is any spare goalie equipment around and whoever draws the short straw has to play net. Although with only 1 line of skaters it might not matter that much. One of the rinks I used to skate at had some extra gear that they mostly used for like Learn to Skate classes to try and encourage potential goalies without them shelling out $1500 and figure out they don't like it. Only lovely parts are sometimes the gear doesn't quite fit right and you usually have to end up wearing your regular player skates.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, we have our game this weekend and our regular goalie is out of town on vacation. Supposedly we have a sub goalie who's going to play, but the game still starts at 10:30pm and we'll end up playing with a short bench anyway. Personally, I'm just happy that I'm making fewer bad decisions, taking more time and space when it's available, and starting to actually dial in a shot. Extra playing time doesn't hurt, at least not until the morning.

There's definitely a reason why it's free for goalies to do so many of the extra things, they're a rare breed and always needed.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

bigbillystyle posted:

You could always ask around the rink if there is any spare goalie equipment around and whoever draws the short straw has to play net. Although with only 1 line of skaters it might not matter that much. One of the rinks I used to skate at had some extra gear that they mostly used for like Learn to Skate classes to try and encourage potential goalies without them shelling out $1500 and figure out they don't like it. Only lovely parts are sometimes the gear doesn't quite fit right and you usually have to end up wearing your regular player skates.

Oh we have extra gear but something about having no goalie breaks people's minds. All they have to do is bring it into the zone and make a pass or two and they'd wear us out. Three of their goals came from inside the zone, most were their zone or center ice. We were up 5-2 at the end of the first period and they were so pissed. Hell we lead them going into the third.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Duke Chin posted:

Gonna make sure all my PBR Colorado teammates do this for 2024 lol

where do you play in colorado?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hockey rules. I got an assist last night from winning a faceoff clean.

Looks like I'm some sort of forward on my one team where 5-10 skaters show up a game, and defense on my other team of free agents.

Free agent team got blown out 12-3 game 1, then game 2 we lost 2-7(goal 6 was stopped by goalie and the whistle blew but then when goalie stood up the puck rolled into the net and the ref counted it??? with 30 seconds left.) and goal 7 the goalie rage let in. Game 3 we won 8-5! we had 2 guys get hattricks and someone got an empty netter. I got an assist in that game as D. Just shot hard and low from the point, with 2 of our guys in the crease. Easy tap in. Hockey rules.

Also I got my first penalty. I tripped a guy and didn't get called and then tripped the same guy again and got called. I deserved it, but he was their best player by far and I'm *pretty* sure he was fishing for the penalty. But after that I learned that a 5' 4" 100 lb guy is much weaker than a 5' 11" 190 lb guy so I just would lift his stick anytime he was near me with the puck. And he'd get mad and try to push me over and nothing would happen because he was the size of most 12 year olds. Incredible. Love hockey so much.

Also my free agent team all went and did a stick and puck today that turned into a 4v4 blue line scrimmage with a goalie. That rules. Thanks for bullying me into joining a team ya'll.

Hockles if you are reading this, hello!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's the rink situation in the Denver area? Probably moving there in the spring. A quick search shows at least a dozen facilities, any of them stand above the others and worth keeping close?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

What's the rink situation in the Denver area? Probably moving there in the spring. A quick search shows at least a dozen facilities, any of them stand above the others and worth keeping close?

DU has 3 rinks and the best ice from what I know. I go to Big Bear Ice Arena which is in very east Denver.
That's all I can say offhand. What area are you looking into and I can give you some more details.
You can bear witness to the thread how bad I am at hockey though :toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That might actually happen because the wife's new job is at UC's nursing campus and that's the same side of town. But I guess I shouldn't sweat it too much because looking at google maps you can drive across the entire city in under 40 minutes and that gets me maybe halfway through the Chicago area.

And I guarantee I'm worse, I haven't been skating enough and it shows. I'm gonna need lots of stick and puck and the lowest rec leagues out there.

But it's way too early to be knowing where we'll live, housing is so crazy everywhere it's not even worth pretending to make decisions until we're closer to moving. It's mostly about getting a feel for the region.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

RC Cola posted:

Hockles if you are reading this, hello!

Hello!

The PBR tournament that Duke plays in is the same one I play in (different teams). It's technically in the Silverthorne/Dillon area.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Jhet posted:

Yeah, we have our game this weekend and our regular goalie is out of town on vacation. Supposedly we have a sub goalie who's going to play, but the game still starts at 10:30pm and we'll end up playing with a short bench anyway. Personally, I'm just happy that I'm making fewer bad decisions, taking more time and space when it's available, and starting to actually dial in a shot. Extra playing time doesn't hurt, at least not until the morning.

There's definitely a reason why it's free for goalies to do so many of the extra things, they're a rare breed and always needed.

Those 10:30 weeknight games suck even as the sub goalie. I keep having to turn them down because it’s always at a place that either sucks rear end or is an hour drive one way well past rush hour. Hell, I’ve been asked to sub 10:20 starts for leagues in the north suburbs of Chicago at 8pm. I’m south of Interstate 80.

xzzy have you skated at Seven Bridges before? Don’t remember if I’ve asked you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, never been. I should have but everyone I skated with said it was run kinda poorly and I had ice elsewhere so just never went.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Those 10:30 weeknight games suck even as the sub goalie. I keep having to turn them down because it’s always at a place that either sucks rear end or is an hour drive one way well past rush hour. Hell, I’ve been asked to sub 10:20 starts for leagues in the north suburbs of Chicago at 8pm. I’m south of Interstate 80.

xzzy have you skated at Seven Bridges before? Don’t remember if I’ve asked you.

Yikes that’s a bit more than an hour not late at night too, I couldn’t imagine wanting to play on the other side of Chicago at all. Especially on super short notice. It was bad enough getting to the rink in Evanston and we really weren’t that far away. It would just take traffic time.

I’m lucky now where all the rinks are mostly under an hour away. There’s more past an hour. I don’t see us getting games in Tacoma, but we do have a few north of Seattle still. Only games I would drive for would be some fun weekend tourney away.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Nope, never been. I should have but everyone I skated with said it was run kinda poorly and I had ice elsewhere so just never went.

They’re not lying. Bottom 30% ice in the area, (possibly fixed) uneven lighting in the NHL rink*, a general “we haven’t bothered for 10-20 years look, and the locker rooms aren’t even climate controlled. Yeah, during winter you can walk in and find the toilets frozen.

Do not recommend. I basically automatically turn down games there.

*seriously, last time I was there the visitor side of the ice on the nhl rink was about half as bright as the home side.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Jhet posted:

Yikes that’s a bit more than an hour not late at night too, I couldn’t imagine wanting to play on the other side of Chicago at all. Especially on super short notice. It was bad enough getting to the rink in Evanston and we really weren’t that far away. It would just take traffic time.

I’m lucky now where all the rinks are mostly under an hour away. There’s more past an hour. I don’t see us getting games in Tacoma, but we do have a few north of Seattle still. Only games I would drive for would be some fun weekend tourney away.

If you play in the kraken league you won't get Tacoma games unless you request them.

Kent/Renton to Everett is all fair game. You can request Andy to assign a general area (north or south) with some relative success.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

If you play in the kraken league you won't get Tacoma games unless you request them.

Kent/Renton to Everett is all fair game. You can request Andy to assign a general area (north or south) with some relative success.

We're in a north div, but end up playing in Kent anyway. It's close enough, and it's still only about 40 minutes of a drive. As long as I'm not driving to Snoqualmie on a weekly basis I'm happy enough.

Andy's a nice enough guy, but he did our L2Play and I've since relearned a whole bunch of what he taught especially with regards to stick positioning and shooting. He does a great job organizing the league though. Good to know we won't end up in Tacoma randomly. I don't really want to be driving an hour home after midnight on a Sunday night and a bunch of the team has kids too, so it would be extra hard to even ice a team.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Props to you for doing it, I love hockey but I ain't driving 40 minutes for it.

I quit my last team because we moved and turned it into a 35 minute drive. Unless there's literally no other ice available, spending over an hour in a car to get there and back is in the Not Fun category.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
One thing I miss about Chicago was playing reliably at the same rink on the same day of the week with roughly the same time games. They ranged from like 830-10pm start times.

Seattle has 6 different rinks as part of the gshl/kraken league. 1 WHL arena (2 sheets) in Everett which is about 30 minutes north of Seattle without traffic, one sheet in Lynnwood and one other nearby which are about 20 minutes north of Seattle. 3 sheets at Northgate kraken practice facility in Seattle. One sheet in Kent about 30 minutes south of Seattle and one whl rink in Renton also 30 minutes south.

Games are sun through Thursdays 730-11:15 start times. Sunday games can be earlier.

It can be brutal if you get a 11:15 start in Everett and you live south. Not getting home until 2am.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
OVA is in instead of Lynnwood this year? Or in addition maybe. I haven't had anything at LIC but I know they redid the playing surface entirely and I do want to go try it out.

Pretty much everything is 20-40 minutes for me anyway, and it's just as bad if you're north and have a game in Kent/Renton. We do more driving for youth hockey than I do for my games.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

calandryll posted:

Oh we have extra gear but something about having no goalie breaks people's minds. All they have to do is bring it into the zone and make a pass or two and they'd wear us out. Three of their goals came from inside the zone, most were their zone or center ice. We were up 5-2 at the end of the first period and they were so pissed. Hell we lead them going into the third.

Must be the psych out attribute there I guess. I've only had to play one game like that, we had a goalie but only 5 guys skate. We won something like 5-3. It must be the pressure on the other team of like, there is no way we will lose this game and then they do everything wrong and lose, or almost lose in your case. It was a long time ago but I do remember one of the guys who ran the team just blatantly tripped a dude to get a penalty and take a rest.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

bigbillystyle posted:

Must be the psych out attribute there I guess. I've only had to play one game like that, we had a goalie but only 5 guys skate. We won something like 5-3. It must be the pressure on the other team of like, there is no way we will lose this game and then they do everything wrong and lose, or almost lose in your case. It was a long time ago but I do remember one of the guys who ran the team just blatantly tripped a dude to get a penalty and take a rest.

Two of my team mates may have done the same thing. Surprisingly I wasn't hurting as much as I thought I would be the next day.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I have my sunday league teammates showing up to stick and pucks with me now to practice. Consistently getting enough for half ice 4v4 with a goalie. Its really helping me work on stuff like clearing the puck out of the crease, breaking up passes, and anything along the boards. I really need to get better on my weak side edge work, anything with my backhand, and doing stuff under pressure. Hockey rules

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Jhet posted:

OVA is in instead of Lynnwood this year? Or in addition maybe. I haven't had anything at LIC but I know they redid the playing surface entirely and I do want to go try it out.

Pretty much everything is 20-40 minutes for me anyway, and it's just as bad if you're north and have a game in Kent/Renton. We do more driving for youth hockey than I do for my games.

Ova and Lynnwood are both part of the khl. I think one of them was closed for a bit to repair their ice.

I've always lived in Seattle so the max I would ever have to drive was Kent or Everett. It sucks because they finished the kraken practice facility in northgate a few months after I moved into my house which is 5 minutes away. Also finished a month after I hurt my back and the khl started playing there.

I never even played a game on that new ice I that waited 7 years for. I've done 2 stick and pucks in the last month. That's it.

I'll likely play again in the next month or so to see how it feels.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I live in Gig Harbor and have been considering getting into ice hockey after playing inline my whole life. But the rink situation sounds kinda grim, unless the Tacoma rinks host their own league with no other travel. There’s no way I’d drive to Everett or Lynwood on a work night.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

Ova and Lynnwood are both part of the khl. I think one of them was closed for a bit to repair their ice.

I've always lived in Seattle so the max I would ever have to drive was Kent or Everett. It sucks because they finished the kraken practice facility in northgate a few months after I moved into my house which is 5 minutes away. Also finished a month after I hurt my back and the khl started playing there.

I never even played a game on that new ice I that waited 7 years for. I've done 2 stick and pucks in the last month. That's it.

I'll likely play again in the next month or so to see how it feels.

Lynnwood got the new sand laid down and ceiling insulated and I hear it’s doing much nicer. OVA is decent but it’s kept a bit soft for the figure skaters and the AAA kids tear it up a lot. KCI is of varying quality again due to temp and figure skaters. The Virginia Mason rink is always the worst. The other two are usually pretty good. Middle one (Smartsheet) is usually where stick and puck is and drop in is usually there too. Sometimes we got stuck in the nice Starbucks rink with the stands over the summer and the ice was the best. I’m often there for lunch drop in and it’s pretty good and it’s been really helpful for improving my game.

The only ice I’ve been on that’s been really terrible was Highland :rip: and the Sno-King rink in a grocery store in Kirkland.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
When I moved here, Olympic view was the best ice I've skated on in Seattle. It was cold and hard, and well edged. It was by far the coldest rink in Seattle. It got worse over time. Lynnwood had a series of terrible Zamboni drivers and their ice suffered for a few years. The WHL rinks have good ice but it's always super hot in both. Kent valley also used to have great ice but I haven't skated there in a while. Highland was like fast food. You know it's terrible but it's also great for what it is. There's a reason no USA hockey league would play out of there.

That's the biggest thing I realized when moving to Seattle: In Chicago, ice rinks are loving cold. It also helps to make better ice. In Seattle, rinks are very warm, comparatively and the ice is generally much softer. My first game in Seattle I thought I was going to pass out from the heat. I used to wear a technical tee shirt under my gear. I stripped down on the bench to take that poo poo off because I was so hot. Since then I've never worn anything under my gear in Seattle.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

xzzy posted:

Props to you for doing it, I love hockey but I ain't driving 40 minutes for it.

I quit my last team because we moved and turned it into a 35 minute drive. Unless there's literally no other ice available, spending over an hour in a car to get there and back is in the Not Fun category.

We have people coming up from New Braunfels, San Antonio (both roughly 2 hours away), and down from Lampasas (a little over an hour)to play in Austin.
The south people claim that they could play in San Antonio but the leagues/ice is poo poo or something.
That's a lot of love for playing hockey to come up on a Friday on I-35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spotted on reddit, this kid obliterating entire teams.

https://i.imgur.com/tc03jb1.mp4