Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pirate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tons of pitchers about to get paid. JV, Kershaw, Rondon, Degrom....that's just the tip of the iceberg

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

Verlander strikes me as one of those signings where if he goes somewhere else he'll be good still and everyone will go Cashman :argh: , but if he comes to NY he'll pitch like Clemens did that first year after he came over from Toronto

He's a 40 year old power pitcher who was dogshit in the playoffs. Whoever signs him is making a mistake and if they give him multiple years then LOL.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

truly only the greatest of fools would sign a cy young world series winning pitcher

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Aubrey Huff ran for a Solana Beach school board seat and got loving slaughtered.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

JV was apparently a different guy mentality wise this season. I'm sure you guys all remember the rumors from last year about how JV never showed up to anyone's birthday parties and the team wouldn't let him throw out the first pitch in the '21 WS or whatever. I don't know how true that stuff was but from the interviews he's given, tearing his UCL and staring down the end of his career out of nowhere really hosed him up and scared him and this season he's been smelling the roses, so to speak, and any time you see him in the dugout he's cutting it up with the guys, he's always one of the first ones out of the dugout to congratulate people, etc. Apparently he's just been a sterling teammate this year and you put that together with both the personal and team accolades that he earned this year, I don't know how that affects his decision. Houston loving loves JV, they love Kate, they are immeasurably big fish here, so is that worth $10m extra a year to go to NY and get booed if you gently caress up? Probably, that's af uckload of money

I remember that being much ado about nothing with him not travelling with the team because he was, you know, rehabbing

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I would be happy to have Verlander back on a one year deal for any amount of money. I would be ok with having him back on a reasonable two year. I would resist giving him any more than that.

I don't dislike him in any way but we're literally talking about a contract that takes place entirely in his 40s and at some point you just have to say if someone else gets two or three cy young years from him good for them taking that risk, especially considering we have a perfectly usable rotation without him (imo) and a bat or two can balance it out even more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is exactly one dude in history who has thrown a live ball 99+ miles an hour at the age of 39 so we're in uncharted territory. At his age he's more susceptible to all kinds of injuries so it's not just his arm you have to worry about. I think it's possible that he's middling-to-good next season and declines into retirement but it's also possible he retires at 45 after winning his eighth Cy Young. I would not bet a huge contract on the latter tho

You can't count out the fact that JV his having the best year of his life, dude came back from a possibly career ender to win back-to-back cy youngs, feels like he's still near his physical peak, and he won a loving ring. I don't know if that makes him hungrier for more success or more willing to settle into a nice, long contract on a non-contender where he can get superstar treatment like not having to go on short road trips and other family-friendly perks like Clemens got when he came to Houston.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 10, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Tons of pitchers about to get paid. JV, Kershaw, Rondon, Degrom....that's just the tip of the iceberg
Kersh is going to take another 1 year deal with the Dodgers for like $20M

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm terrified that the Cubs are gonna sign an old washed-up player for way too long

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Astros should re-sign JV and then sign Kershaw, each to 3 year deals imo. Kershaw prob wants to pitch closer to home anyway.

I think Verlander and Upton like Houston - so hopefully they choose to stay. They were gushing about the city and fans on WS post game show and I think they live here in the offseason already - so maybe they like it here and just want to stay.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 10, 2022

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm terrified that the Cubs are gonna sign an old washed-up player for way too long

They need the role filled now that Heyward's gone

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kershaw isn't gonna sign with Houston any more than Judge is lol come on now stop trolling bawfuls

I guess at this point it comes down to: If letting JV walk lets them pick up Abreu or Rizzo and maybe bring back Vazquez and Brantley or sign some other quality LF, I'd rather roll with the pitching we have now and do that than try to bring back Yuli on a cheap deal and then have a Diaz/Lee combo at catcher and who knows what in LF

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah I feel like letting Verlander walk and using that money to get bats is using a strength (insanely deep pitching compared to most teams) to shore up a weakness (multiple dead spots in the lineup) and that's what you ought to do

sometimes GMing is simple, hire me uh, let's see, Nats I guess

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There are worse signings out there than bringing Rizzo back for good.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah I feel like letting Verlander walk and using that money to get bats is using a strength (insanely deep pitching compared to most teams) to shore up a weakness (multiple dead spots in the lineup) and that's what you ought to do

sometimes GMing is simple, hire me uh, let's see, Nats I guess

On the other hand Crane could, if he wanted to, go full Dodgers and just maximize the team's chances and sign everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Houston Astro Shohei Ohtani

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
I'd love for JV to sign with Houston one last time, but...

I think he'll go home to Detroit to retire with the Tigers, as long as they offer enough.

If they don't... ehhhhhhh.... could be bad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

chilihead posted:

I'm assuming the big thing is where that money counts towards the luxury tax. This year, next year, on the rangers books? I thought maybe since Koby is a lefty first round pick by Atlanta this could be a redemption story but the guy has almost no chance to make the roster.

I believe for luxury tax purposes it counts for next season but likely counts for 2022 for Atlantas internal budget.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't see JV going back to the Tigers. I think he wants to at least have a shot at 300 wins and another ring. I could see him heading to the Braves or Padres

e:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1590761097178464256

why would you do this to yourself degrom

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 10, 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

N: https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/1590733209540911105?s=20&t=FvbzEVeO2MrM7EPxvgE2_g

V: What's the appeal of the Rangers or Texas?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

there is 0 chance the braves sign either degrom or verlander. wipe the thought from your minds

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Getting paid a lot of money

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

drat the Rangers might get to 3rd place now

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

I can't see JV going back to the Tigers. I think he wants to at least have a shot at 300 wins and another ring. I could see him heading to the Braves or Padres

what about the mariners

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
JV’s going to wear either pinstripes or a much brighter blue next season. This FO doesn’t shell out for big pitching deals and they aren’t going to start with him. They don’t even shell out in general unless they’re a core position player, and even then they still undervalue the contracts to be fairly team-friendly (Yordan, Altuve and Bregman at the moment of signing).

I’m very confident in what’ll happen:
- They’ll make a cursory offer to JV that they know he won’t accept and he’ll walk
- They’ll shrug and say “well we have such a starter surplus anyway that we don’t need him”
- They’ll let Yuli walk unless he signs a dirt cheap one-year (And honestly? I’d prefer he walk at this point. He’s a great 1B but he’s offensively inconsistent and he’s nearing retirement anyway.)
- They won’t make any big swing signings to fill potential gaps at 1B or LF (I’m assuming they’ll also let Brantley walk unless, like Yuli, he signs a cheap team-friendly short term contract and Yordan remains the everyday LF)
- Maybe they show interest in Josh Bell or Jose Abreu, but I can’t imagine they’ll have competitive offers and the more likely case is an attempt at a Yainer Diaz promotion. Maybe they offer Mancini a cheap deal if he remains unsigned heading into Spring Training.
- I could see them finally inking a Tucker extension so they can say “hey look, we did something”

The Astros are not an offseason free agent player, they’ve always been more likely to make big moves during the season.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

On the other hand Crane could, if he wanted to, go full Dodgers and just maximize the team's chances and sign everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

well yeah but I think we can say he's not that guy

Even though letting Correa walk worked out, and Springer mostly did, a "buy it all and win" owner would still have both those guys I think

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yuli is the King of Cuban Baseball so it's very important to let him leave on terms that make him happy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TV Zombie posted:

V: What's the appeal of the Rangers or Texas?

Texas has no state income tax and the Rangers are not shy about spending a ton of money on stars

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

JV’s going to wear either pinstripes or a much brighter blue next season. This FO doesn’t shell out for big pitching deals and they aren’t going to start with him. They don’t even shell out in general unless they’re a core position player, and even then they still undervalue the contracts to be fairly team-friendly (Yordan, Altuve and Bregman at the moment of signing).

I’m very confident in what’ll happen:
- They’ll make a cursory offer to JV that they know he won’t accept and he’ll walk
- They’ll shrug and say “well we have such a starter surplus anyway that we don’t need him”
- They’ll let Yuli walk unless he signs a dirt cheap one-year (And honestly? I’d prefer he walk at this point. He’s a great 1B but he’s offensively inconsistent and he’s nearing retirement anyway.)
- They won’t make any big swing signings to fill potential gaps at 1B or LF (I’m assuming they’ll also let Brantley walk unless, like Yuli, he signs a cheap team-friendly short term contract and Yordan remains the everyday LF)
- Maybe they show interest in Josh Bell or Jose Abreu, but I can’t imagine they’ll have competitive offers and the more likely case is an attempt at a Yainer Diaz promotion. Maybe they offer Mancini a cheap deal if he remains unsigned heading into Spring Training.
- I could see them finally inking a Tucker extension so they can say “hey look, we did something”

The Astros are not an offseason free agent player, they’ve always been more likely to make big moves during the season.

The Astros shell out for big money short term deals which is exactly what Verlander will get - 3/90 or something.

They don't do long term deals like Kershaw or Harper got - but that's not an issue here.

Sign JV, sign Vasquez, sign Brantley, Yuli retires, sign Rizzo to be 1B.

Lineup: Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Tucker, Brantley, Rizzo, Pena, Vasquez, Chaz
SP: JV, Framber, Javier, McCullers, Urquiddy/Brown/Garcia

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's true. The Astros were willing to spend big on Correa, they just weren't willing to give him the years he wanted

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They were willing to spend big on Correa because they knew he’d never accept that contract. Correa was super clear on the number of years he was looking for and the Astros FO knew that and took it into consideration with that offer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also they knew about Jeremy Pena and we didn't.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Also they knew about Jeremy Pena and we didn't.

Pena killed it in the postseason, but was an average hitter during the season - his OPS+ was 101. Correa was 140.

We love our World Series MVP but he isn't close to what Correa is.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

They need the role filled now that Heyward's gone

Heyward is not even old, he was washed at like age 27.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe they'll steal Brantley from the Astros, everyone talks about what a great WS speech he gave after game 3 and the Cubs need a speech giver

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

^^^ Good speech giving is easily worth a couple WAR

Too much Astros talk and this is coming from a huge homer. Hopefully the offseason isn't like last year where a bunch of guys weren't signed until spring training.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

As much as I want Rizz back first base belongs to 2023 NL MVP Matthew "Mash" Mervis

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Too much Astros talk and this is coming from a huge homer. Hopefully the offseason isn't like last year where a bunch of guys weren't signed until spring training.

Well there's no lockout this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

Strosposting is the new Cubsposting!!!!!