Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Orvin posted:

Although, I suppose it could be tofu, but somehow I don’t know if that would be better. I can’t envision what that would actually be like, so my mind just defaults to boba beer

Bring back Orbitz as an alcoholic energy drink you cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Blue Moonlight posted:

Bring back Orbitz as an alcoholic energy drink you cowards.

Orbitz was the least refreshing drink ever, only slightly above cookie dough.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tarkus posted:

I remember it being sickly sweet. Like drinking syrup. It also wasn't carbonated.

And if I thought that something was too sweet in middle school holy gently caress that must have been pure loving sucrose.

I had a discerning palate back then. My drink of choice was Surge :smug:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Tarkus posted:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cookie dough milkshake that you can stand up a spoon in.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Breetai posted:

Boss says she's going to assign me a task at 9:30.

Boss emails me what I need for that task at 12:28.

I immediately message her asking for clarification on a few points as what she's mailed me is unclear.

Now it's 2:00 and I haven't heard anything. I have literally nothing else remaining assigned to me in this sprint.

I have a shitload to do next sprint, but we are under standing orders not to bring anything forward and therefore increase the workload of the current sprint

In our morning meetings if I come up with something that should be done and is a very quick fix, my boss tells me not to work on it and to book it for next sprint because we can't add priorities midstream. This includes for things that would actively assist us or even reduce overall workload in the current sprint.

My current favourite game is being told in a meeting to book a small thing for the next sprint, and then completing that task in secret before the meeting is over.

The above is all a result of my boss's unwavering dedication to Agile, which she considers the silver bullet management style.

We are a platform management team that deals in policy and a significant service desk bau workload. We do not develop software.

What. Your boss does not understand agile, like, at all.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I remember it being sickly sweet. Like drinking syrup. It also wasn't carbonated.

And if I thought that something was too sweet in middle school holy gently caress that must have been pure loving sucrose.

I had a discerning palate back then. My drink of choice was Surge :smug:

Fuckin same

I did keep one in a shelf for years though, cause they look cool as poo poo

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah i mean agile is definitely the worst but whatever that is isnt agile

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I don't do agile poo poo but from talking to people who do (or allegedly do) I've developed two basic catagories:

1) people who use it in a dev process who can at lest make the noises convincingly enough for me to assume they know what they're talking about. There's enough structure and order to the words coming out of their face that I imagine that to another person in their world it makes coherent sense.

2) people who are cargo-culting it as a new set of MBA buzzwords to impress their fellow MBA buzzword afficionados as they peacock at each other. Even standing as far as I am on the outside, you can just smell the bullshit and feel the hot air coming off like a blast furnace.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Neco posted:

:neckbeard:

boar guy posted:

yeah i mean agile is definitely the worst but whatever that is isnt agile

:smith:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Most places are.just doing a crappier version of waterfall and claiming it's agile because they make reactionary decisions constantly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

withoutclass posted:

Most places are.just doing a crappier version of waterfall and claiming it's agile because they make reactionary decisions constantly.

But if you use Agile terms you get to call it SAFe.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Escape From Noise posted:

Woah. Are you not a real patriot?

One fermented cow beverage please, hold the vegetables!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

goatface posted:

Cookie dough milkshake that you can stand up a spoon in.

So, Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout. :v:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

As for the drinking on the job thing, it's something I'm extremely cautious about because of how much alcohol abuse there is in the brewing industry. One of the most accomplished guys to work at Goose Island (who is now winning tons of awards at his brewery) got pushed out when Brett Porter came on, and he started drinking pints of Matilda (the 7% Belgian ale) when he got in at 7AM. Somebody at Lagunitas crashed a forklift and fell asleep on the toilet during his shift because he was abusing both booze and pills on the job. If you're a computer toucher do whatever doesn't get other people hurt, but if you're gonna touch machinery or chemicals stay the gently caress away from it on shift.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Motronic posted:

But if you use Agile terms you get to call it SAFe.

SAFe would at least be better than what we have now where we suddenly realize we need other teams to do things but they have no capacity because it wasn't planned lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

RocketMermaid posted:

if you're gonna touch machinery or chemicals stay the gently caress away from it on shift.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Neco posted:

I don't understand Agile at all, because I've never previously worked using it like ever, but I figured out that whatever my boss is doing isn't Agile through general observation and common sense despite her unwavering cultlike devotion to saying Agile. Agile.

Like, I'm fairly sure that "WE CAN'T CHANGE WHAT WE'RE DOING EVEN IF SOMETHING THAT CAN HELP OUR PROCESSES/IS A QUICK WIN COMES UP" isn't Agile. It seems more rigid than agile.

Unfortunately what my lack of any experience/knowledge regarding Agile means is that I lack the ability to point out, in words of one syllable and with an almost academic rigor, exactly where and why what my boss is doing isn't specifically Agile according to its tenets, which is pretty much what it would take for her to change what she's doing not change at all who am I kidding?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

RocketMermaid posted:

As for the drinking on the job thing, it's something I'm extremely cautious about because of how much alcohol abuse there is in the brewing industry. One of the most accomplished guys to work at Goose Island (who is now winning tons of awards at his brewery) got pushed out when Brett Porter came on, and he started drinking pints of Matilda (the 7% Belgian ale) when he got in at 7AM. Somebody at Lagunitas crashed a forklift and fell asleep on the toilet during his shift because he was abusing both booze and pills on the job. If you're a computer toucher do whatever doesn't get other people hurt, but if you're gonna touch machinery or chemicals stay the gently caress away from it on shift.

Maybe you don’t understand, i need at least 3 long island iced teas to lube up my brane to be able to properly work with hydrochloric acid

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boss has decided the best method is to now buy new parts, break them, and test again.

I guess this has been going pretty well because my boss is now asking me to get involved to "accelerate the testing".

The vendor for the part we're testing has also graciously given us some test equipment to use for this. But it doesn't give us any data. We have to send it back to them and they'll interpret the results for us. Hmm, I wonder what results we could possibly see. No word yet on the test equipment I asked for.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

RocketMermaid posted:

if you're gonna touch machinery or chemicals stay the gently caress away from it on shift.

Every forklift operator on the planet has some concerns about this bold new policy. Weed, speed or mead, no one drives straight

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

RocketMermaid posted:

My uncle worked at Coors back in the 80's when they had kegs in the lunchroom. He witnessed multiple fistfights.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I’ve learned a lot about the brewing industry just from lurking this thread.

I didn’t know Japan had much of a craft brewing scene, all I’m familiar with are macro brews like Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo, etc.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
As a guy who had to slum it in Scotland with just Carling, Carlsberg, Strongbow and Stella on tap in most places back in the mid 2000s I think even most macro brews are pretty decent these days? :shrug: certainly compared to that swill

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Asahi is a perfectly cromulent beer.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sapozhnik posted:

As a guy who had to slum it in Scotland with just Carling, Carlsberg, Strongbow and Stella on tap in most places back in the mid 2000s I think even most macro brews are pretty decent these days? :shrug: certainly compared to that swill

I'm deeply suspicious of the pubs where you were drinking in Scotland in the mid 2000s that had Carling instead of Tennants, Scotlands most popular lovely beer flavoured chemical*. And you're being overly harsh, even the lovely chain pub where I did most of my drinking in the early 2000s had Deuchers on tap, and gently caress, even the student union had a better selection than that. Couldnt pour an acceptable pint of guinness if you put a gun to their heads, but they'd give it their best shot. Essentially I think you needed to find a better pub.

*The drygate branded stuff is by and large decent, thats all Tennants as well, but thats a recent development and from what I hear its a deliberate effort to make something decent and craft-adjacent to a) cash in on the craft beer market as the cheap lager market starts to flag, and b) persuade some of their brewers to stick around by letting them flex their creative muscles a bit in a corporate approved kind of way.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Just say you'll make your normal beer, but once it's ready, you can get a bunch of dudes together to add the protein. Then just wink.

Alternatively, say you'll add it personally and give him a little :quagmire:

Float a crystal in every bottle. Or, I guess since the crystal would probably leach into the beer and kill people or something, attach the JO crystal to the outside for use charging prior to drinking the beer?

Edit:I just realized it’s probably bottles, not cans…but I know nothing about alcohol production, so I may also be wrong on if you use bottles or cans.

just clap hands

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 10, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Yeah..I generally pull samples near the end of the day and only take a few sips.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. The restaurant manager lost a keg sale because he didn't respond to an email with an order for three days. I don't think he even looked at it. Guy ordering is a friend even.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bargearse posted:

I’ve learned a lot about the brewing industry just from lurking this thread.

I didn’t know Japan had much of a craft brewing scene, all I’m familiar with are macro brews like Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo, etc.

It's been taking off more and more. Especially in recent years.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

[owner #1 on Slack, 3 weeks ago] We have a fest coming up in 3 weeks, just so you guys are aware and can put beer together.
[Me and other brewer] Okay, we need somebody to bring in the jockey box so we can clean and prep it.
[Me at the beginning of this week] Still need the jockey box.
[Me today, two days away from the fest] Can somebody bring in the jockey box today or tomorrow so I can clean and prep it?
[owner #2's wife] You'll have to get it yourself, I'm busy today and tomorrow
[Me] I will if I have to, but I'm very busy with barrel projects this week while the other brewer is out of town. Can we be better about communicating about this?
[owner #1] I WAS TALKING ABOUT THIS A FEW WEEKS AGO, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Jesus loving tits, guys, can the brewers not be the only adults in the room about getting poo poo done?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That's a roles and responsibilities issue. Having more than one person being responsible for managing something always ends up in that bullshit. But trying to get people to acknowledge they're responsible for poo poo is impossible.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

RocketMermaid posted:

[owner #1 on Slack, 3 weeks ago] We have a fest coming up in 3 weeks, just so you guys are aware and can put beer together.
[Me and other brewer] Okay, we need somebody to bring in the jockey box so we can clean and prep it.
[Me today, two days away from the fest] Can somebody bring in the jockey box today or tomorrow so I can clean and prep it?
[Me] I will if I have to, but I'm very busy with barrel projects this week while the other brewer is out of town. Can we be better about communicating about this?

Jesus loving tits, guys, can the brewers not be the only adults in the room about getting poo poo done?

Nope. Only the people that do the work that any company is based on are expected to be capable of using logic and patience (the patience is for working around all of the non-adult adults that are bafflingly put in charge so that a company can deliver its goods and services effectively). Everybody else is just there to make sure you don’t take home enough money to lower your stress level enough for you to realize that you deserve to work with considerate people. This is the natural order of things.

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 10, 2022

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RocketMermaid posted:

Tut, tut. Sounds like quiet quitting to me. If y'all would only apply yourselves a bit more, this wouldn't have happened.

Anyways, we're off to Gstad for the rest of this month. If you could just write each other up, that would be wonderful!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
They released the comments from the employee survey to management.

246 extra typed in comments (everything else on the survey was scale of 1-10)

244 comments about the excessive overtime

2 comments complaining about favoritism

You’ll never guess what we’ve decided to focus on going forward.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

The flashbacks...THE FLASHBACKS!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They aren't going to widely release the full text comments of our staff survey this year, apparently it was too easy to identify individuals in the redacted comments last year. Only the board and union reps get to see them.

Have they addressed the root causes that led to multiple people feeling the need to write complaints about specific managers and teams? Well, they haven't announced anything...

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Outrail posted:

That's a roles and responsibilities issue. Having more than one person being responsible for managing something always ends up in that bullshit. But trying to get people to acknowledge they're responsible for poo poo is impossible.

In particular, Owner #1 is fond of spending half an hour searching through Slack to show why you're in the wrong instead of just saying "OK" and working with anybody else.

He also got highly offended when the bartenders knew how to do something in Square that he didn't.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

interview went well, have an in person follow up next friday. might actually get off this rapidly sinking ship.

gonna try real hard to not just bail immediately if i get it and give them some sort of notice. a mental break for a week would be nice though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Outrail posted:

Yeah. If it's a big job, have a lead and an assistant. But you need to have someone who can demand stuff be done, and also be blamed if that stuff is wrong.