Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What is the basis for "corrupt" exactly, that they're not who they say they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they didn't earn their checkmark (by giving elon 8bux)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Deptfordx posted:

People have been working from home for years at this point. There must be tons of employees who've joined since then who have always worked from home and don't live in the same State as any with Twitter offices in.

Also have they bothered paying rent/not selling off all this office space they haven't needed for those years, seems unlikely. Do they physically possess enough Office Space and supporting facilities for everyone to theoretically turn up to?

They laid off half the employees last week surely they didn't kill half the offices that stuff takes time to sell. So while they might not have an office right now there's an open cube.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Strong Sauce posted:

the twitter office in SF is huge, and before the pandemic a large percentage worked in that office (it is pretty nice, i've been in their old office and that one was already pretty big). so in SF yes. else where, specially outside of US? *shrug*

If everyone had been WFH up until now, it's likely that all that unused space was rented out to other businesses.

(watch Elon try to break multiple long-term commercial leases).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Heath posted:

What is the basis for "corrupt" exactly, that they're not who they say they are?

In that Elon’s primary reason for buying Twitter was to solve the “blue check problem” (where both the problem and solution are nebulous at best) and ergo the corruption must be removed

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

checkmark update: after conceding that existing verified users can keep their checkmark without paying, elon has now changed his mind again and wants paying to be the only way to get a checkmark

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590757322149998592

also the highest ranked replies to this tweet (for me at least) are all fake elon crypto money doubler scams lol

https://twitter.com/Youssofal_/status/1590758262311649280

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590770727040724992

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why does he keep posting 8? All of Twitter isn’t paywalled yet it makes no sense

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Heath posted:

Leftists posting fake news about Elon’s companies

And/or some conspiracy theory about who owns the media

kru
Oct 5, 2003

$8

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Waffle House posted:

Waffle House queues up a favorite song of his

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmdiKePVUy8

Correct

But hear me out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zu4ON8D0fk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

loling at all the people in the replies acting like this is some incredible own. it doesnt even relate to what the guy is talking about. the guy doesnt care about keeping his own checkmark, hes talking about people using fake checkmarks to scam people.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Heath posted:

Thank you, yes, it's just identity verification, it can't be corrupt unless someone somehow paid to have a false identity?

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Leftists posting fake news about Elon’s companies

But it's not the posts that are verified, it's just the leftists in question.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why does he keep posting 8? All of Twitter isn’t paywalled yet it makes no sense

Elon is acting as if anyone who is critical of his Twitter Blue plans just doesn't want to pay money, so if you want to keep on posting from your current position, you have to pay $8

Xakura posted:

It is corrupt because Elon believes that nobodies were jumped ahead of their station in life by being verified despite being nobodies in his view

There's probably a variety of supporting reasons, and I imagine they're all awful

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

no criticism, only "owns"

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Xakura posted:

Thank you, yes, it's just identity verification, it can't be corrupt unless someone somehow paid to have a false identity?

Elmo sees the verified badge as an endorsement from Twitter and a higher elite class. If someone is corrupt it’s because they don’t deserve such “elevated” placement.

Dr. Seuss predicted all of this with the star bellied sneeches

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Heath posted:

too many shitlibs

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Devor posted:

It is corrupt because Elon believes that nobodies were jumped ahead of their station in life by being verified despite being nobodies in his view

The return of sumptuary laws, I see, I see :hmmyes:

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Endorph posted:

loling at all the people in the replies acting like this is some incredible own. it doesnt even relate to what the guy is talking about. the guy doesnt care about keeping his own checkmark, hes talking about people using fake checkmarks to scam people.

How many $8 bucks is Musk going to have to pay when Nintendo with a market cap of 7 trillion decides to sue twitter because people keep impersonating them ruining their very carefully family friendly image.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

$8

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
She goes “but I didn’t even cum” and Elon says “$8”

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

If everyone had been WFH up until now, it's likely that all that unused space was rented out to other businesses.

(watch Elon try to break multiple long-term commercial leases).

Right, it's not like Twitter was making money before this.

If they didn't take advantage of WFH to not renew a contract/dump/sell-off as much office space as possible then WTF were they doing?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He thinks they made about it costing $8 and not that it ruins verification. He is doing the what does a banana cost ten dollars? But doesn't realize it's the most moronic statement.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Yeah I think for the sake of electric cars and the industry I'll keep developing my business model I posted and applying until I get it, this dude is done.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Endorph posted:

I think it’s “I have your 8$ so I win”

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Despite the massive regulatory risk exposure and the worryingly expedient massacre of capital this is still progressing exactly like a concerned netizen convincing someone to give them ops in IRC or becoming a mod on a webforum and it turns out they are an insane 16 year old and their ideas run counter to everything about the medium.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Do what if someone makes a fake Tony LaRussa account, buys the checkmark, and pretends to be him again? I’m pretty sure that breaks whatever settlement they had with him. :lol:

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

zedprime posted:

Despite the massive regulatory risk exposure and the worryingly expedient massacre of capital this is still progressing exactly like a concerned netizen convincing someone to give them ops in IRC or becoming a mod on a webforum and it turns out they are an insane 16 year old and their ideas run counter to everything about the medium.
$8

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The East India company doesn't care about your existing caste system. Now pay your recruitment fees and get making money for the company or we start shooting.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Do what if someone makes a fake Tony LaRussa account, buys the checkmark, and pretends to be him again? I’m pretty sure that breaks whatever settlement they had with him. :lol:

you think elon cares? $8

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How does this end? Any chance of Elon cutting his losses and bailing before the damage is unsalvageable?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rinkles posted:

How does this end? Any chance of Elon cutting his losses and bailing before the damage is unsalvageable?

No

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Twitter was only worth maybe a couple Billion so he lost 40 billion already

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Strong Sauce posted:

you think elon cares? $8

I think that's the real crux of it. The whole thing, starting with him offering to buy Twitter, seems like a tantrum. And the $8 posting is just him going "I'm not mad ur mad :smuggo:"

Honestly, at this point, I have trouble buying the theory that his offer was meant to boost his shares. It just all seems like a tantrum.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

euphronius posted:

I think it’s “I have your 8$ so I win”

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
8 Dollar
8 Dollar Check-marks!
(thank you Subway))

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bad news everyone, Muskrat just fired all of us at SA.
This is just as confusing to me as it is to you as I wasn't aware that I worked for Twitter and you are probably only realising that as well.
See you all at the class action lawsuit I guess.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Dont google/youtube and I assume all the other social media sites all have their own checkmarks that arnt paid??

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's a common solution to a universal problem, but what if you disrupted it......

My website is on fire, and everybody is suing me? Well that wasn't supposed to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Dont google/youtube and I assume all the other social media sites all have their own checkmarks that arnt paid??
proactive verification of celebs/officials is pretty standard practice in order to prevent spam/scammers/impersonators

$8