Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Got a fluval 307 external canister filter on a 55 gallon freshwater tank, in the last ten minutes it has started making a sound like it is going to take off (think PS4 running God of War), any ideas? Going to start with taking the canister apart but of course this happens an hour before bed time on a work night.

If it has a sort of grinding sound to it, I also get that when snails that live in the FX4's manage to get sucked into the impeller. And also in my HOB's when sand gets sucked into the impeller.

I agree with your plan to take it apart, with a good rinse to the media and impeller components, to get a good look at what all is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm having a hard time getting my cpds to spawn, and I think it's due to my going back to work in person and not being around to do small feedings all the time.

Does anyone have a flake or pellet food that they like for small fish? I'm feeding live (microworms and Artemia) most of the time but they don't really work with an auto feeder..

I do crushed flakes occasionally, but they're just Tetra brand generic flakes and I'm sure I could do better.

I got mine to spawn by just blasting them with live brine shrimp 2x a day. A little yarn mop would usually come out loaded with eggs. I noticed I got more eggs the day after/of a water change, so that might be something to try and induce spawning.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Schwack posted:

I got mine to spawn by just blasting them with live brine shrimp 2x a day. A little yarn mop would usually come out loaded with eggs. I noticed I got more eggs the day after/of a water change, so that might be something to try and induce spawning.

Yeah, I've probably raised 100+ but now I'm striking out every time. Honestly getting a bit frustrated trying to figure out what changed.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

How old are they now? I wouldn’t have thought you’d see declining fertility due to old age just yet.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

How old are they now? I wouldn’t have thought you’d see declining fertility due to old age just yet.

I’ve tried breeders from my main tank, and fish from the last batch which are all colored up. It isn’t age.

Typically 2 females and 1 male

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I got ~20 viable eggs out of some 7+ year old danios so I expect the same would be true for CPDs to some extent. Have you got a breeder tank big enough for group spawning? I've heard breeders use that method so that the males feel more urgency to compete and will put on shows to get the females interested. Maybe your males just need a bit more motivation! Something like 3 + 3 in case the fish are being picky about who they pair up with.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I’m using the same ten gallon tanks I’ve been using. I’ll toss another male in.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My parasite issue has returned to my 55g.

There are never more than 2 spots. They are always on the fleshy parts of cichlid heads. They sometimes appear to have a tail. Then for a few weeks there won't be any. I guess it might be Ick, but I've never Ick to only appear on the heads of cichlids and intermittently at that.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm having a hard time getting my cpds to spawn, and I think it's due to my going back to work in person and not being around to do small feedings all the time.

Does anyone have a flake or pellet food that they like for small fish? I'm feeding live (microworms and Artemia) most of the time but they don't really work with an auto feeder..

I do crushed flakes occasionally, but they're just Tetra brand generic flakes and I'm sure I could do better.

I'm a fan of bug bites. My fish do well on them.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bonster posted:

I've tried em, too big for cpds. I could grind them down and try again tho!

I'm trying 2 males + 2 females and brine shrimp or microworms 2x daily

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My poor goldfish are turning into their winter zombie selves. Winter hit hard and fast this year, with fall seemingly not existing at all. They've gone from acting like a pack of hyper piranhas when it was food time, to the pellets bouncing off their heads as they barely react to outside stimulus.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

My new planted tank formed a bunch of brown (diatom?) algae on the glass and some of the rocks. I turned down the light a bit and avoided adding more plant fertilizer but otherwise let it go. Hoped it would eventually balance out and also the 2 nerite snails in the tank might eat it. One of the snails finally found it and ate some of it.

The other one seems to be cleaning some plants.

Some green hair algae formed on my crypt and got really long really fast.

Some tiny little CPDs that are hard to take a picture of. They only liked to eat food mid-water so I had to give them some frozen food.

Bonster posted:

Maybe I'll try bug bites for mine.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I've pretty much been giving my cpds and exclamation point rasboras just aquarium co-op easy fry. About the only thing that works reliably because of their small mouths.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Manta posted:

My new planted tank formed a bunch of brown (diatom?) algae on the glass and some of the rocks. I turned down the light a bit and avoided adding more plant fertilizer but otherwise let it go. Hoped it would eventually balance out and also the 2 nerite snails in the tank might eat it. One of the snails finally found it and ate some of it.

The other one seems to be cleaning some plants.

Some green hair algae formed on my crypt and got really long really fast.

Some tiny little CPDs that are hard to take a picture of. They only liked to eat food mid-water so I had to give them some frozen food.

Maybe I'll try bug bites for mine.

I had really good luck adding Seachem Phosguard to my filter media for about a month to get rid of the diatoms. Haven't needed to add it since!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Infusoria snails ftw

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

I've pretty much been giving my cpds and exclamation point rasboras just aquarium co-op easy fry. About the only thing that works reliably because of their small mouths.

A small pinch of flakes ground between my fingers worked for me. These days they go after the frozen bloodworms, though, they're very aggressive feeders compared to the pygmy sunfish they share the tank with.

Diatoms, in my experience, will go away on their own after a few months.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

candystarlight posted:

I had really good luck adding Seachem Phosguard to my filter media for about a month to get rid of the diatoms. Haven't needed to add it since!

I guess that removes silicates from the water starving them out. It's an option but I'll wait to see if they balance out on their own.

Cyclops is also supposed to be a good food for the CPDs but I don't know where to get them besides maybe growing them? They do eat frozen baby brine shrimp.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My brother got this for free

200 gallon tank. loving thing is heavy, my back is screaming. I hope he puts 200 neon tetras in this

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

You could do 2000, maybe 20000. That would be expensive though

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Leal posted:

200 gallon tank. loving thing is heavy, my back is screaming. I hope he puts 200 neon tetras in this

Can't beat "free" in price. I would be super diligent in checking for leaks though.

Anyway, I've given up in dramatically changing my pH. It's stuck at 7.8. The thing I've been working on now is getting the TDS down below 300 though I doubt it's really that necessary. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy some shrimp in the next week. It's getting colder and colder now and if I don't do this now, my window for ordering things will close and I'll be stuck with nothing over the winter.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

Leal posted:

Nice. Big aquariums are sure a pain to move though. I am avoiding buying a filled 55 gallon off someone on cragslist because it would be a hassle and I really need to resist the urge to fill up my whole apartment with tanks.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Still drawing a blank and what kind of parasite is in my 55g cichlid tank so I'm going to do a round of Rid-Ich and hope for the best.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Manta posted:

Nice. Big aquariums are sure a pain to move though. I am avoiding buying a filled 55 gallon off someone on cragslist because it would be a hassle and I really need to resist the urge to fill up my whole apartment with tanks.

My wife wants to move some time in the next few years to a larger place and I'm already dreading moving my singular 75G tank. Bulky, heavy, fragile, and super stressful on the fish is not a great combination.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

What if it’s a dermosporidium infection? Or is the proper word dermocystidium, I’m not sure. I looked at your last post again and the info about the fleshy skin being affected reminded me of how it’s usually seen in tetras. Not sure if metroplex in food would work, have you tried any form of metronidazole? I thought it could work because it works for hexamita and giardia which are protozoans.

Actually, after googling dermocystidium it seems more complicated than that. They’ve changed the classification from sporozoa to Mesomycetozoea (organisms somewhere between animals and fungus) and there might not be a known treatment for infected fish. For similar infections in humans they seem to cut off the affected tissue and treat the wound with antibiotics and hope for the best.

I hope the treatment you use does work, but if not, the possibility above might explain why.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I can feel Multi Tank Syndrome developing now that my landlord has said he doesn't care what I do in terms of aquariums. I have empty 29g, 40g, and 75g tanks in the garage...

But I'm also super guilty of not finishing my current project before moving on to the next one (56g 36" x 24" x 15"):

Yes, that's a yogurt cup around the middle LED cluster. Yes, the dangling wires are ugly. No, you shouldn't ask about the random pipe in the corner. The only plant that survived the tank transfer/upgrade was the ludwigia arcuate, lost a dozen+ stems of ammania gracilis and two huge mother plants of cryptocoryne spiralis tiger. Added some anubias nana in some spots but dang I need to buy a lot more to fill this in.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'm selling some coral frags to make space, which means I took some glamor shots.

Selling is my least favorite part of the hobby. I need to find a shop I can sell these to.

Coral color is tricky because the lights are often so blue and they're hard to photograph. These are properly white balanced, as you can see from the plug color.

Edit: shop will give me $5/head credit. Low, but I might do that with some.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 13, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Got a fluval 307 external canister filter on a 55 gallon freshwater tank, in the last ten minutes it has started making a sound like it is going to take off (think PS4 running God of War), any ideas? Going to start with taking the canister apart but of course this happens an hour before bed time on a work night.

this is the gooniest comparison lol

I had a fluval start making horrible noises once and it turned out there was a piece of gravel in the impeller. No clue how it got in there, but as soon as I removed it, it was fine.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

this is the gooniest comparison lol

I had a fluval start making horrible noises once and it turned out there was a piece of gravel in the impeller. No clue how it got in there, but as soon as I removed it, it was fine.

Seconding the impeller. I've had the tabs on one break off too.

It's worth keeping a spare impeller for any filter you've got. That's *the* moving part. It's what fails.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm selling some coral frags to make space, which means I took some glamor shots.

Selling is my least favorite part of the hobby. I need to find a shop I can sell these to.

Coral color is tricky because the lights are often so blue and they're hard to photograph. These are properly white balanced, as you can see from the plug color.

Edit: shop will give me $5/head credit. Low, but I might do that with some.

I ended up just giving a bunch of monti frags to my LFS. I feel happy that they are hopefully, at least some of them, going on and thriving in new tanks. It would break my heart to just throw living coral away, but I know that happens and at some point I"ll probably have to do it myself.

Speaking of things I don't love about the hobby, I just stopped in Petco for some cleanup crew snails and they had Red Emperor Snapper for sale. They get 2' at a minimum and can get up for 46" long. I think it's debatable whether or not they should even be available in the hobby at all, but drat, it's heartbreaking to see as a normally stocked item at a chain pet store. I bet there are less than 5 aquariums in my city that adequately house an adult, and I bet even if there are, their owners don't randomly go to PetCo looking for giant saltwater fish. That poor fish is almost guaranteed to live a short, cramped life.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

What if it’s a dermosporidium infection? Or is the proper word dermocystidium, I’m not sure. I looked at your last post again and the info about the fleshy skin being affected reminded me of how it’s usually seen in tetras. Not sure if metroplex in food would work, have you tried any form of metronidazole? I thought it could work because it works for hexamita and giardia which are protozoans.

Actually, after googling dermocystidium it seems more complicated than that. They’ve changed the classification from sporozoa to Mesomycetozoea (organisms somewhere between animals and fungus) and there might not be a known treatment for infected fish. For similar infections in humans they seem to cut off the affected tissue and treat the wound with antibiotics and hope for the best.

I hope the treatment you use does work, but if not, the possibility above might explain why.

Googling fish diseases is never fun, at that one was no exception. I'm pretty certain it is some type of flagellate. But I'll try a round of Metroplex if it pops back up after the Rid-Ich.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I ended up just giving a bunch of monti frags to my LFS. I feel happy that they are hopefully, at least some of them, going on and thriving in new tanks. It would break my heart to just throw living coral away, but I know that happens and at some point I"ll probably have to do it myself.

Speaking of things I don't love about the hobby, I just stopped in Petco for some cleanup crew snails and they had Red Emperor Snapper for sale. They get 2' at a minimum and can get up for 46" long. I think it's debatable whether or not they should even be available in the hobby at all, but drat, it's heartbreaking to see as a normally stocked item at a chain pet store. I bet there are less than 5 aquariums in my city that adequately house an adult, and I bet even if there are, their owners don't randomly go to PetCo looking for giant saltwater fish. That poor fish is almost guaranteed to live a short, cramped life.

I throw away Xenia, and will probably have to do the same with GSP at some point, but I don't think I could ever throw away something else. It's so different from plants, and I honestly can't articulate why. Because they're animals, I guess.

I get genuinely angry about large fish for sale like you described. I'm in a reef group on Facebook and some lady posted a picture of the juvenile harlequin sweetlips her LFS just sold her. That's another 2-3' fish that she will almost certainly not be able to house humanely. I think in her case she returned it.

It out to be a real specialty item.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah, it goes with the turf with stuff that grows as fast as Xenia and GSP. And softies do seem more plant-like than, say, a hammer or something.

They also had a bluestripe snapper, which is doubly sad because in addition to getting very large, they are also a schooling fish. I saw big schools of them everywhere in Hawaii.

I agree that anything like that should be a special order item only.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I just pulled my broodstock CPDs. We'll see if I get fry.

Two tanks, each with two males and two females. Each one got love brine shrimp 2-3 times/day for at least 6 days.

I managed to kill a female with the net (she moved as I was netting and I pinched her against the side). I feel like a loving monster.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else ever yelled at their fish? Not exactly a fish but I spent a good few minutes yelling at my sea star that the entirety of his arm is lined with little suction cup so how on Earth is he losing the piece of food I keep putting on there.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I ordered shrimp and they came. I put them in the tank and I am terrified they are going to die.

ETA: I drip acclimated them and all that fun stuff so they don't have a reason to die unless I screwed that up but I'm still terrified of it.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 16, 2022

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Manta posted:

I was getting this problem big time in my tank. On everything, plants, glass, substrate. The angels kept beating the shrimp to death so a I bought a 3 pack of 3/4 inch purple mystery snails. They're doing great at cleaning it up and are growing big....in just over a couple weeks. Already an inch or more in size.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

New tanks get diatoms because they aren’t biologically active enough that the food chain that consumes diatoms is not in place yet - snails are a good way to kickstart this, having watched snails under magnification they are absolutely covered in life and little greebly fellas that eat what they poop out. Once your tank matures more the diatoms will go away. Maybe brown water filter squeezings from a mature tank would help too.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Aaah. Two have molted. None of them have DIED from what I've seen but I don't want them to MOLT from STRESS.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Don’t panic, they should moult regularly if they’re still growing, and hopefully you were sold juvenile shrimp not adults so that you get a full life span out of them. Could be stress or could just be coincidence that they were going to moult around now anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

Don’t panic, they should moult regularly if they’re still growing, and hopefully you were sold juvenile shrimp not adults so that you get a full life span out of them. Could be stress or could just be coincidence that they were going to moult around now anyway.

Yeah, they are juveniles. I wasn't sure at first given that this is the first bunch of neocaridina I've had but I stopped by a pet store today and they had some actual adults which were noticeably bigger. And really, two isn't very many given I got twenty of them. And like I said, they weren't failed molts.